Opening Season Rituals. Got Any?

A week from today kicks it off for the Bills. Fan-tastic!! A lot of fans, like myself, have supersticions about their team. Its crazy, but we think that somehow, it will bring good luck to our team.

I got a buddy that I've watched Bills games with for years. Every opening regular season game for the Bills, he does 3 shot with his beer in the opening minutes of that game. That's his "good luck" ritual.

Me, I put out our Bills flag in front of the house the morning of game day, and I HAVE to have a plate of wings during the game. For me, I'm set. I'm good to go. Bring on the season.

Any others who care to share, feel free. And let the season begin. Go Bills!!!!!!!

Everything changed the year Chan became the coach and the 6 other people I had season tix with all bailed on me. Some for good reasons. Kids, married, work. But I still think it's all a BS excuse. Before all this, we used to get together to prepare some good food the night before. Used to be at my buddies place just down the street within walking distance to the stadium. We'd go shopping, get food for that night and for the next day. Usually something good like Kabobs, BBQ bacon wrapped shrimp, bacon chedder hotdogs, sometimes lobster, steak, tons of chicken along with any side dish you could imagine from taco dip to chicken wing dip and various different cheeses. Cook up what we needed to, watch a movie and crash. Get up at 6am to pack up the coolers and finish any last minute cooking or warming of food. Take a pregame dump in the luxery of a nice bathroom and not a port'o'potty or the nasty stadium bathrooms. Get into the parking lot at 8am. Lot 5. Get everyone together and start playing washers, drinking, cooking, eating. Head into the stadium about an hour early to tale your time, get to the bathroom, drink, and comfortably into your seat with some time to spare and not be rushed. Cry during the National Anthem in front of 74,000 people (because I'm proud to be an American and have no shame in the fact that the Anthem gets me everytime). Gets super stoked and breathless when the Team comes out of that tunnel. And hopefully sing SHOUT all day long.

That all changes though. Last year, my first full year with only 1 season tix left in the group, I skipped most tailgating and just headed into the game unless I knew someone else heading up the party. I bought am extra tix this year so maybe I'll start my own tailgate again and draw some new people.

Hope you enjoyed my ritual. I know I do.

Not to be a Debbie Downer, but anything any of us have been doing recently should probably be thrown out , out it's been more than a decade since we saw the payoffs (the exception might be that ball kicking thing).

This. Anyone practicing a "ritual" that has led to what we've endured over the past 12 years needs to stop immediately, and start from scratch.

i have my wife kick me in the nuts three times before kickoff. that way nothing the bills do to me will hurt worse

LOL!!! That's great, Fluff Head. I'd hate to hear what you might do to cure hemroids

i have my wife kick me in the nuts three times before kickoff. that way nothing the bills do to me will hurt worse

LOL

LOL! Great, Fluff Head. However, I'd hate to hear what you do for hemroids.

Actually though, watching the Bills over the last dozen years has been like getting a kick in the ol' family jewels.

I know this isn't about HOME OPENER rituals, but for the last 3 years my son and I fly in on Saturday, hit the usual spots (Mighty Taco, pizza and wings, maybe Anderson's etc.), hit the Bills store, then on gameday get our Tim Horton's and head down Southwestern. On the way to the airport it's Ted's, has to be Ted's! Funny how so much is about the food!

This year will be our 4th opener in a row. Can't wait to keep the tradition going!

About a week before, I curl up in a little ball on the floor and rock back and forth constantly repeating "Do a good job, do a good job, do a good job." That continues until the Bills are officially out of contention.

its about time for u to curl up. Do,a good job!!

Don't really have any for when the opener is a road game. But nothing beats the feeling of the anticipation of the night before the home opener, waking up at 7 am the next day and being the only one awake, and just quietly reading the paper. Then the time comes load up all of the tailgate stuff and head to the stadium to be in the lot at 9 sharp. I love going to all the games, but the home opener is always something special. It's just a totally different feeling heading in.

Edited by biglukes