thank you Buddy!!!!!!

On a more concrete note, what in your mind are the big differences from a talent perspective, player by player, on this team from last season to this?

Obviously Mario replaces Dwan Edwards at RDE, check.

Anderson's not a 3-down DE so he won't replace anyone, he'll rotate in despite the fact that he'll start. He replaces Kelsay, which may be a step down in the running game.

The LBs are the same since Morrison and Moats are the two players which will start at OLB after Barnett and Sheppard. Neither started last year and that's not much of an endorsement for the rookies Bradham and Carder whom I hoped would start but apparently aren't good enough to beat out those two.

A rookie replaces Florence at starting CB opposiite Williams who wasn't that good last season. The Ss stay the same.

Williams (Kyle) comes back healthy, which will help.

The offense is just about exactly the same and sucked after the first few weeks when Gailey's new system was exposed. He doesn't have a new system this season to start so opponents know exactly what to expect except for maybe some Wildcat which hasn't helped any team significantly to the point where few even use it anymore. Not Gailey and the Bills though, they're too sharp for that. They know better too. LOL

Anyway, I'm just trying to sort through why those that think that this is a playoff team actually believe that? Or are they just saying that?

You do realize that we had 15 players on IR last year, and not just crap players, but a lot of quality guys. Not to mention Fitz playing with broken ribs. That's the reason we went cold after a 5-2 start, not because teams figured out Chan. Chan's been running that type of offense his whole coaching career, it was no secret the first 7 games of the season.

You do realize that we had 15 players on IR last year, and not just crap players, but a lot of quality guys. Not to mention Fitz playing with broken ribs. That's the reason we went cold after a 5-2 start, not because teams figured out Chan. Chan's been running that type of offense his whole coaching career, it was no secret the first 7 games of the season.

"They figured Chan out last year" is a statement gaining a lot of traction among the "realists" despite the fact it's just not true. Take a look at the Bills' offensive production during the second half of the year and you'll find they had some of their most productive games during the losing stretch -- despite playing with a makeshift OL, a hurt QB, and without their best player (FredEx).

The difference between the start and finish of the Bills season a year ago can be chalked up to two things: a defense that was taking the ball away (and scoring) went completely lifeless, and the offense lost a significant number of starters to injury.

The "realists" answer to that is usually, "then why didn't Chan run the ball more?" Well, let's see -- you have a "scatback" in CJ Spiller and a beaten up OL...is running the ball as a primary option really the way to go?

^What he said!

Now you must be fully prepared to be berated by the self-appointed "realists" who feel it necessary to meet EVERY optimistic post with their pessimism. I don't understand it. Why not let people have a good time? Why the need to pee on everybody's cornflakes? Why the need to call everybody stupid because they aren't as "realistic?"

GO BILLS!!!

Some like pee on corn flakes. Some probably have it for breakfast everyday.

Preseason games are a laboratory of Live practices. Nothing more, nothing less.

First stringers get to smack somebody besides their teammates and work on a few plays and their timing.

Coaches learn who can play and who can't.

Some guys earn a spot on the final roster, some guys play their way off the squad.

When you haven't won a playoff game since 1995, I think it should be about playing well, instilling some confidence that this year is going to be different and playing hard.

The Bills have done none of the above.

Perhaps your name should be Bandwagon Circler. You have cleary jumped off and no one is going to miss you opening day. I'm sure you'll be jumping right back on after week 2 or 3. And guess what, we'll welcome you back with open arms, cause that's how we do.

Or he may have to run for his life to avoid all the other bodies coming off the bandwagon after a few weeks of the regular season - I've certainly seen plenty of that - folks that are convinced THIS is finally the year and that the Bills are going to win an absolute minimum of 10 games - they tend to get extremely depressed when the Bills lose 3 in a row and sink into mediocrity.

Look, it's fun to be excited about the upcoming season - kudos to all who partake and enjoy in that exercise. But don't blast folks who are actually waiting to see the proverbial baby that Buddy talks about. It's too early to get down on the Bills, but by the same token this whole thread thanking Buddy is premature - we are thanking him for assembling a team that hasn't done anything yet. Yeah, on paper it looks like the organization has made some solid moves, but are we still going to be singing buddy's praises 5 years from now if the Bills never crack 8 wins and some big name acquisitions fall well short of expectations? The fact that the Bills still have a healthy fanbase after the past decade plus is amazing, but eventually you have to give the fans some real results....

I like the optimism, for those of you that prefer that over doom and gloom. The team is fun to watch for me, and that's all I care about.

Frankly I think Buddy has done better in free agency with guys like Barnett, Chandler and Mario than he has with drafting. His first draft was brutal, last year's looked better but Dareus was a no brainer and after that I'm just not sure yet. Talent evaluation is very difficult and luck is a huge part of the process.

I like the way he makes decisions though. Chan was a great hire in my opinion. The only knock as far as team management goes was signing Fitz to a mega deal when we were on a hot streak. It was like buying a stock at its highest point because you're excited and desperate to own a winner. If he had been more patient the deal would have been a little more fair to the team and the cap, and signing Levitre and Wood and some of the other upcoming guys might be impossible to do because of it.

I really like Fitz,as a team leader and a person, but he's a 75-80 career passer rating guy and probably got 30% more than what was fair for his skillset.

So I wouldn't say thanks for building a winner yet, but I would say the guy is doing his best and seems to have us on the right track.

Now we just need to start the season with a win,

"They figured Chan out last year" is a statement gaining a lot of traction among the "realists" despite the fact it's just not true. Take a look at the Bills' offensive production during the second half of the year and you'll find they had some of their most productive games during the losing stretch -- despite playing with a makeshift OL, a hurt QB, and without their best player (FredEx).

The difference between the start and finish of the Bills season a year ago can be chalked up to two things: a defense that was taking the ball away (and scoring) went completely lifeless, and the offense lost a significant number of starters to injury.

The "realists" answer to that is usually, "then why didn't Chan run the ball more?" Well, let's see -- you have a "scatback" in CJ Spiller and a beaten up OL...is running the ball as a primary option really the way to go?

Really? They had their "most productive games" in the second half of the season? Are you talking about last season?--when they score more than 24 points exactly once? When they scored 7 and 8 points in consecutive games--and 10 or fewer points in 3 games? As opposed to scoring 24 or more points in 5 of the first 6 games? They were completely blown out in 3 of their last 8 games.

Really? They had their "most productive games" in the second half of the season? Are you talking about last season?--when they score more than 24 points exactly once? When they scored 7 and 8 points in consecutive games--and 10 or fewer points in 3 games? As opposed to scoring 24 or more points in 5 of the first 6 games? They were completely blown out in 3 of their last 8 games.

First of all, I typed "some of their most productive" because it's true. Look it up. You preach logic and using facts to back up arguments but you're too lazy to do it yourself.

I've posted this stuff before. There was a three-game stretch beginning with the first Jets game in which the Bills stunk in all phases of the game. After that, however, the offensive numbers are nearly as good as they were early on -- remarkable considering the injuries on that side of the ball. You talk about points, but neglect to mention the Bills' defense forced 16 TOs (and scored three times) in those early games. In their final six games the Bills averaged 360 yards of offense per game. In their first seven they averaged 380.

I'll say it again, the "they figured Chan out last year" mantra is utter nonsense.

I like a lot that Nix has done as well, including hiring Gailey, picking up Urbick and Reinhart off of waivers, and signing Williams, Anderson and Barnett, but his drafts are not measuring up at this point. Darreus and Gilmore should be very good players, but Nix missed with Troup, Carrington and Easley. Williams and Sheppard need to step up this year since they will both start, but I have my doubts, particularly with Sheppard. If he is ineffective, there will be a big hole in the defense. Glenn also needs to perform well, which a lot of pressure for a rookie at a key position.

Our first round picks have improved under Nix, but we still need better production from our draft picks to have success.

First of all, I typed "some of their most productive" because it's true. Look it up. You preach logic and using facts to back up arguments but you're too lazy to do it yourself.

I've posted this stuff before. There was a three-game stretch beginning with the first Jets game in which the Bills stunk in all phases of the game. After that, however, the offensive numbers are nearly as good as they were early on -- remarkable considering the injuries on that side of the ball. You talk about points, but neglect to mention the Bills' defense forced 16 TOs (and scored three times) in those early games. In their final six games the Bills averaged 360 yards of offense per game. In their first seven they averaged 380.

I'll say it again, the "they figured Chan out last year" mantra is utter nonsense.

Sorry, when you said "most productive", I just assumed you were talking about scoring points. Didn't know you were only thinking of yards of offense.

But if you shift your analysis to points scored in a game, they scored 22 points per in the last six compared to 31 in the first six despite nearly the same yards of offense (360 v. 380). Their biggest "production" of points came against Denver--40 points. However the Bills offense scored only one touchdown that game. 4 FGs by the replacement kicker.

Also, after the bye, the Bills defense forced 14 more TOs. Scored on 3 of them.

Sorry, when you said "most productive", I just assumed you were talking about scoring points. Didn't know you were only thinking of yards of offense.

But if you shift your analysis to points scored in a game, they scored 22 points per in the last six compared to 31 in the first six despite nearly the same yards of offense (360 v. 380). Their biggest "production" of points came against Denver--40 points. However the Bills offense scored only one touchdown that game. 4 FGs by the replacement kicker.

see i knew you had a soft spot deep down : )

When you haven't won a playoff game since 1995, I think it should be about playing well, instilling some confidence that this year is going to be different and playing hard.

The Bills have done none of the above.

Or at least make it look like you're trying. The culture of fail, and stench of over a decade of losing. Has yet to be declared deceased, based on any onfield play. Of course a couple rookies are showing their worth. Hyperbole aside the team has yet to show anything. Gailey will win the opener, he's good at gameplans if he has weeks vs. days. Actually looking forward to Saturday's game to see if this team has any game.

Edited by Best Player Available

Do you have any idea how silly this post is going to seem if we don't post a winning record much less make the playoffs?

As to fans that you claim have given up, don't you think that the burden of proof is on "Buddy" (as if he's your pal) and Gailey to first post a winning season much less a playoff appearance before you (or anyone else) give him credit?

You've developed quite the reputation of only posting negative things. Care to take a minute to share what you do like about the Bills? Or is it just that gratifying to you to only focus on the negative assertions you have made?

The peeing in cereal comment is so boring.

Perhaps you'd prefer poop on your cake, killjoy, or buzz kill? There's always rain on your parade, bursting your bubble, putting a damper on, or just being a wet blanket. Or perhaps you're more comfortable with being a stick in the mud, party pooper, or just plain spoiling it for the rest of us.

GO BILLS!!!

So 14 TOs in 9 games is the same as 16 in 5? Nice math.

Regardless, the point is the Bills offense was hardly anemic, even after multiple injuries to key positions. And wasn't that the point?

But don't we deserve better than the crap they have been serving up for 12 years?

Dude- being a bills fan is about pulling for the little guy, the under dog from the economically downtrodden and depressed forgotten corner of upstate New York. This isn't the billion dollar stadium bills. We are not talking about $500 a seat meh tickets and dream teams.

Me I have been enjoying the team lately. Last year they won some games against good teams. They pushed other good teams all the way to the last minute. If you can't appreciate that than fanhood boils down to a digital experience of empty satisfaction, or utter despair. Enjoy the journey. Watch this franchise slowly turn from the dark days of bore 'em into losing jauronamo ball, to fast big defenses and wide open offense. I am sure there are fans for every team that feel they deserve better as fans. Follow the steady improvement and watch these guys grow and continue to improve. The absolute result might be uncertain, but the trajectory is clear. Maybe someday we will even see the same results as we did in 1990's.

Perhaps you'd prefer poop on your cake, killjoy, or buzz kill? There's always rain on your parade, bursting your bubble, putting a damper on, or just being a wet blanket. Or perhaps you're more comfortable with being a stick in the mud, party pooper, or just plain spoiling it for the rest of us.

GO BILLS!!!

No, don't like any of those either.

Dude- being a bills fan is about pulling for the little guy, the under dog from the economically downtrodden and depressed forgotten corner of upstate New York. This isn't the billion dollar stadium bills. We are not talking about $500 a seat meh tickets and dream teams.

Me I have been enjoying the team lately. Last year they won some games against good teams. They pushed other good teams all the way to the last minute. If you can't appreciate that than fanhood boils down to a digital experience of empty satisfaction, or utter despair. Enjoy the journey. Watch this franchise slowly turn from the dark days of bore 'em into losing jauronamo ball, to fast big defenses and wide open offense. I am sure there are fans for every team that feel they deserve better as fans. Follow the steady improvement and watch these guys grow and continue to improve. The absolute result might be uncertain, but the trajectory is clear. Maybe someday we will even see the same results as we did in 1990's.

great post

Bills didnt look so good after 2 preseason games last year either,fitz lloked good vs the jags in the 3rd...Too long ive been waiting for this,and im looking foward to enjoying this season and the future looks bright for a change.If they stay healthy they will give them cheaters a run for the division. Go Bills!!!!

Nothing wrong if some people feel pessimistic. I felt very high on this team, but our first team D and first team O looked terrible for the first two games. Two more left. Good chance to turn it around against Pittsburgh, and I hope all you folks who live near Buffalo will be at that game because tooo many steeler fans will be. Also, I like how VY is looking now.

This is 100% true. Absolutely. But certainly it does raise other questions, no?