Greatest Bills K Ever

Nukethis

Steve Christie or Rian Lindell ?

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/C/chrisste01.htm

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/L/linderia01.htm

My vote goes to Christie for many clutch kicks, his onside and directional kickoffs and the 58 yarder he hit during a monday night game vs. Dullfins in the 90's. But Lindell has also been money and very dependable.

Demerits and lashes given to anyone mentioning a certain kicker from James Madison.

Pete Gogolak?

Tom Dempsey?

Dempsey? Really? He wasn't particularly good for the Bills and I will never forget him missing that chip shot FG at the end of the season opener in '79 that would have beat Miami.

Gary Anderson but Buffalo waived him............lol

http://en.wikipedia....n_(placekicker)

I think Anderson was 0 for 7 in the presesason on FG attempts and Chuck Knox had to cut him.

He was born in S Africa which according to Shark Week on Discovery HD makes him one of the few S Africans to escape

death by shark. That turned out fairly well for Pittsburgh.

If Norwood makes that kick is he in this conversation?

He who attended James Madison was only a 73% kicker over his career and was in the 63-68% range

the last 3-4 years . Please dont use the "N" word.

If Norwood makes that kick is he in this conversation?

Yes. Norwood was a good kicker.

The argument between Christie & Lindell is a good one. Christie had the benefit of being on the Bills when they were still going to the Super Bowl, whereas Lindell joined the Bills during the Mularkey & Jauron regimes.

I personally wanted Lindell cut after that missed FG in the Pittsburgh game. Since then Lindell has proven to be a very accurate kicker. Which is why I'm a fan and not a coach.

In the end it's a tough decision between these two.

He who attended James Madison was only a 73% kicker over his career and was in the 63-68% range

He had one great year, in 1988. A number of the Bills 12 wins that year were scored directly off his right foot.

I have to say it's Steve Christie, hands down. Longevity + numerous clutch kicks. He gets an "extra point" (pun intended) for one of the most memorable plays in Buffalo history, namely, the onside recovery against Houston in the comeback game (plus the GW FG, of course)--- he also made what is only the 2nd most famous Bills Super Bowl FG, but it was for a record 59 yards.

Lindell is 2nd--- he's been fairly clutch in the past several seasons since adjusting his kicking stance, although it's clearly not his fault he's had so relatively few opportunities in clutch situations.

Steve Christie.

Lindell folds under pressure.

Any stats to back that up? I recall a grand total of two situations in which I was "mad" at Lindell for missing a kick -- the chippy against the Steelers (although it was not a "pressure" kick and didn't lose the game), and the Monday nighter against Cleveland four years ago.

Scott Norwood made several high pressure kicks to elevate the Bills to their highest point. He'd be my vote even though he missed the biggest kick in franchise history.

Who cares what Lindell has done. For the most part, same with Christie. If you miss a kick and lose another game on a 6-10 team, does anyone notice.

Steve Christie.

Lindell folds under pressure.

yes your going to need stats to back that up, going into his tenth year even though the teams were not very good he's made his share of kicks to win it and I can only remember two kicks at the end of a game that cost us the win. Also has missed 1 Pat in the NFL the guy is very good, too bad the teams he's been on haven't been - until this year

Pete Gogolak?

Tom Dempsey?

Pete Gogolak!?!? You must be an old-timer.

When Gogolak kicked soccer-style with the Bills, the league was electrified and field-goal kicking was changed forever. NFL.com has a list of the 10 things that changed the game of football and Gogolak is on that list:

http://www.nfl.com/v...me-Pete-Gogolak

Gogolak also helped start the signing wars between the NFL and AFL. In those days, both leagues tended to view the other league's players as off-limits. But the NFL's Giants were desperate for a FG kicker and went after our Gogolak in a big way. (Gogalak ended up setting the Giants all-time scoring record). The war for players that ensued caused financial problems for both leagues until finally the NFL invited the AFL squads to join the NFL. Hence the Bills are now a profitable member of the NFL instead of a defunct team in a defunct league.

Given his role in making soccer-style kicking popular in the NFL and his role in the merger of the NFL and AFL, Gogolak's a good candidate of greatest Bills K of all time.

But after all that, I would still pick Christie just because although Gogolak started as a Bill, he was a Giant much longer.

Edited by hondo in seattle

Joihn Leypoldt was a good kicker and he was also a very good special teams cover man. He often made the tackle on his kickoffs and not on the Bills side of the 50. Big dude. RIP John, he died at 40 in '87.

Pete Gogolak!?!? You must be an old-timer.

When Gogolak kicked soccer-style with the Bills, the league was electrified and field-goal kicking was changed forever. NFL.com has a list of the 10 things that changed the game of football and Gogolak is on that list:

http://www.nfl.com/v...me-Pete-Gogolak

Gogolak also helped start the signing wars between the NFL and AFL. In those days, both leagues tended to view the other league's players as off-limits. But the NFL's Giants were desperate for a FG kicker and went after our Gogolak in a big way. (Gogalak ended up setting the Giants all-time scoring record). The war for players that ensued caused financial problems for both leagues until finally the NFL invited the AFL squads to join the NFL. Hence the Bills are now a profitable member of the NFL instead of a defunct team in a defunct league.

Given his role in making soccer-style kicking popular in the NFL and his role in the merger of the NFL and AFL, Gogolak's a good candidate of greatest Bills K of all time.

But after all that, I would still pick Christie just because although Gogolak started as a Bill, he was a Giant much longer.

I don't know the stats but Pete's brother Charlie kicked for the Giants if I am not mistaken. I think Charlie had the better leg and was a little more accurate but Pete was here first. Born in Rábahídvég, Hungary, they were known as well hungarians.

Joihn Leypoldt was a good kicker and he was also a very good special teams cover man. He often made the tackle on his kickoffs and not on the Bills side of the 50. Big dude. RIP John, he died at 40 in '87.

I don't know the stats but Pete's brother Charlie kicked for the Giants if I am not mistaken. I think Charlie had the better leg and was a little more accurate but Pete was here first. Born in Rábahídvég, Hungary, they were known as well hungarians.

I checked wikipedia -- Pete played 7 more years in NY after two great years with Buffalo. Charlie played for the Redskins and a couple of years with the Pats.

I have to say it's Steve Christie, hands down. Longevity + numerous clutch kicks. He gets an "extra point" (pun intended) for one of the most memorable plays in Buffalo history, namely, the onside recovery against Houston in the comeback game (plus the GW FG, of course)--- he also made what is only the 2nd most famous Bills Super Bowl FG, but it was for a record 59 yards.

Steve Christie hit a 54 yard field goal in the SB... it was a reg season game against Miami in a lopsided loss that he hit the 59 yarder...

He had one great year, in 1988. A number of the Bills 12 wins that year were scored directly off his right foot.

Lindell is 2nd--- he's been fairly clutch in the past several seasons since adjusting his kicking stance, although it's clearly not his fault he's had so relatively few opportunities in clutch situations.

This sums up my view as well. I will never forget Christie hitting the clutch 40+ yard field goal at the end of the playoff game in Tennessee, in the sleet and wind, to snatch a very emotional win against the Titans. Then of course...

Pete Gogalak. Forced the AFL/NFL merger

Booth Lusteg also made some very clutch kicks back for the 60s team.

Lindell might have the biggest and best leg, but he just hasn't been put in enough clutch situations to warrant best Bills Kicker of all-time. Maybe he changes all that this year. One Superbowl is all it will take.

If you want to be fair, 73% was pretty good at the time. FG percentage has been steadily going up for many years. There was actually a time during the middle of Norwood's career when he was the most accurate FG kicker in NFL history.

Hard to believe, I know… especially because even a lot of his "makes" were pretty ugly looking.

Ok I get to use the cheesy joke again. "But Dempsey only missed it by half a foot".

Darn...

Steve Christie hit a 54 yard field goal in the SB... it was a reg season game against Miami in a lopsided loss that he hit the 59 yarder...

Well that settles it... it's Lindell.

This sums up my view as well. I will never forget Christie hitting the clutch 40+ yard field goal at the end of the playoff game in Tennessee, in the sleet and wind, to snatch a very emotional win against the Titans. Then of course...

One of the great moments in Bills history "that never was"--- it's amazing how such seemingly great efforts get swept away in the sands of time after they become negated in the blink of an eye.

Todd Schlopy. Singlehandedly kept the Bills from losing all three scab games in 1987 with a miraculous 2/5 FG kicking performance at Rich Stadium against the Lawrence Taylor-led scab Giants.

Schlopy also converted a solid 50% (1/2) of his PAT attempts that season.

Dempsey? Really? He wasn't particularly good for the Bills and I will never forget him missing that chip shot FG at the end of the season opener in '79 that would have beat Miami.

Me neither, I was at the that game, but was also at the game the following season in which the streak did end. In fact, still have a piece of the field goal net from that game.

If you want to be fair, 73% was pretty good at the time. FG percentage has been steadily going up for many years. There was actually a time during the middle of Norwood's career when he was the most accurate FG kicker in NFL history.

Hard to believe, I know… especially because even a lot of his "makes" were pretty ugly looking.

Darn...

Norwood's consistent range was only 40 yards

that's why the 47 yarder was such an adventure for him

then you have Cristie kicking them from 59