Interesting Bill Polian Tidbit, courtesy Peter King

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2012/writers/peter_king/08/12/mmqb/3.html

During the 1987 strike season in Buffalo, Polian signed a replacement left tackle known for dirty play with the specific intention of trying to hold and frustrate New York Giants pass rushing demon Lawrence Taylor. Bill says he had no choice despite having to guarantee the player's contract for the entire season to seal the deal. "Our quarterback would have literally gotten killed," said Polian, who told team owner Ralph Wilson exactly that when seeking permission to approve the transaction because of this player's reputation. The tackle did the job -- and never played for the Bills again when the regulars came off the picket line the following week.

Bills were that concerned about Willie Totten?

my thought exactly. That game will go down as the single most unwatchable 60 minutes of football ever. Thank god we had tickets in the Buffalo News suite for that game as, to top it all off, it absolutely monsooned out. A 6-3 overtime thriller.

I remember being at the game and laughing as the Bills center Wil Grant seemed to be tackling Lawrence Taylor on every play. Heres some quotes from that day with link below:

New York’s Lawrence Taylor, one of the few players to cross the picket line, had about a half-dozen sacks and even played some tight end.

Will Grant, a former Bills’ center, brought as a “strike player” was charged with blocking Taylor that day, and drew a flurry of flags.

As Grant came off the field after the final one, frustrated coach Marv Levy allowed, “Will, that’s five holding penalties …”

And Grant famously responded, “It’s not that bad coach, I’ve been holding him every play.”

http://www.oleantimesherald.com/sports/article_58109bea-71f6-5e96-bf43-587f92d59f0d.html

i think i went to that game too. im not sure because i probably wiped it from my mind. the only worst game ever was the home cleveland loss a couple years ago. that was just brutal

that game was the game that broke me as a Billiever no matter what. I sat in the stadium that day with friends all around me and anyone could think I was a Browns fan that day. I swore that I wouldn't openly cheer for them until DJ was fired I can't remember if it was any games or how many games after that he was fired but I'm glad he was to say the least.

that game was the game that broke me as a Billiever no matter what. I sat in the stadium that day with friends all around me and anyone could think I was a Browns fan that day. I swore that I wouldn't openly cheer for them until DJ was fired I can't remember if it was any games or how many games after that he was fired but I'm glad he was to say the least.

I was at that game as well. I left in the 4th quarter to go out and start the BBQ grill and wash away my sorrows with a few beers. One of the worst games I had ever seen. I kept saying to myself, I drove 4 1/2 hours to watch that $&^#. At least the tailgate was good and got to watch several idiots set a couch on fire and then proceed to jump on it while it was fully engulfed in flames. Certainly much more entertaining than the football game.

I would bet the motgage the guys name was schulte..I think rick schulte...he was in camp that year and was dirty....he and Mitch freerote got into it almost every day battling for backup line spot...googled him...crazy he died just like frerotte...weird..but he is the guy

http://www.fightingillini.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/062308aaa.html

Edited by ronnieroscoe

I was at that Giants game with a friend from Geneseo who was a huge Giants fan. Since there was almost nobody in the stadium we sat right behind the Giants bench in the third row. The G-mens third string scab quarterback was a guy whose last name was Bush or Busch. So late in the game and half in the bag, we started chanting "WE WANT BUSH, WE WANT BUSH". He actually turned and waved to us.

Absolutely horrible game, but we had fun.

Funny side note from that '09 3-0 loss to Cleveland that set the game back 100 years: Driving home from the game down, yes, Cleveland Dr., the car in front of us threw an object out the window at a stoplight. We look over on the sidewalk and it's a Bills hat lol....Dave: "I guess he had enough" Me: "Don't blame him" I get out and picked up the hat for some reason. I still have it lol

Funny side note from that '09 3-0 loss to Cleveland that set the game back 100 years: Driving home from the game down, yes, Cleveland Dr., the car in front of us threw an object out the window at a stoplight. We look over on the sidewalk and it's a Bills hat lol....Dave: "I guess he had enough" Me: "Don't blame him" I get out and picked up the hat for some reason. I still have it lol

Nice story. I almost can't blame the guy who chucked it because that game would be good therapy for anyone addicted to NFL football.

But major kudos to you for "picking the flag up off the ground."

No one can ever question your faith.

I hope you get to wear that cap at a Super Bowl.

I was at that Giants game with a friend from Geneseo who was a huge Giants fan. Since there was almost nobody in the stadium we sat right behind the Giants bench in the third row. The G-mens third string scab quarterback was a guy whose last name was Bush or Busch. So late in the game and half in the bag, we started chanting "WE WANT BUSH, WE WANT BUSH". He actually turned and waved to us.

Absolutely horrible game, but we had fun.

See, we had a great time at that game as well. If I remember correctly, 4.00pm start time. Miserable day outside , so our tailgate ,as it were,was at Weichecs in Kaisertown. Left there at 3.30, in seats at 3.50 lol. No more than 10,000 people there., no beer lines, players playing not at a high level, but playing their guts out...what a great game! Stayed to the bitter, back in the bar at Weichecs 15 minutes after game ended.

Good time had by all!

So why is this interesting to you? I think he did what he should have.

Oh, it was a great idea. Makes me think of the end of Slapshot.

Oglethorpe.

But not something I'd think an NFL general manager would think of, you know?

If you are asking why I know rick schulte...its why I'm on this site...I'm a fan...and know who the poster is referring to so I'm informing him...you have 10k posts...so either your yanking my chain or a jackass...hope its the former

Nah, he's just the site admin. You know, the boss.

God that was an awful game. Parcells actually put Taylor in at QB.

Willie Totten, wow! In college he had a pretty good receiver, anyone know who?

Are you talking about the Bills-Giants strike game?

If so, Lawrence Taylor was put in at tight end.

Willie Totten threw to Jerry Rice at Mississippi Valley State, I believe.

I would bet the motgage the guys name was schulte..I think rick schulte...he was in camp that year and was dirty....he and Mitch freerote got into it almost every day battling for backup line spot...googled him...crazy he died just like frerotte...weird..but he is the guy

http://www.fightingi.../062308aaa.html

You seem to have nailed this one. I got out my trusty copy of Sal Maiorana's "Relentless", which has recaps of every game though 1994. In the writeup for that game:

Giants linebacker Lawrence Taylor: "During the game, he (Bills tackle Rick Schulte) would hold me, throw me down and when I would try to get up, he'd knock me down again. He got on my nerves and I came up swinging and I started to concentrate on him. It was frustrating, especially when you don't see any flags, but you should expect that in a game like this."

I remember the Giants being especially poorly prepared for that strike. One of their other strike games, they got stomped by the 49ers. Late in the game, Bill Walsh started running the option and Parcells was seen on the other sideline pointing at Walsh and laughing his butt off. They also had a scab WR make a play that was later voted the best catch ever on Monday Night Football; the guy (Lewis Bennett) had just a handful of catches during the strike, and wound up in prison for murdering his wife.

Edited by Red Squirrel