Thought Experiment...

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Crazy question but ill play: Bruce Smith. If your guys on the oline arent big enough to buy some time it doesn't matter how agile and quick the other guys are. And Bruce was plenty quick and agile for his size. Same holds true for defense: if your front 3/4 cant hold their own and penetrate you'll get ripped when the offense gets into the 2nd and 3rd level.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

That's an easy one: Craphonso Thorpe.

Tell me who wouldn't want to look down their roster and see this:

Craphonso

Craphonso

Craphonso

Craphonso

Craphonso

Craphonso

Craphonso

Craphonso

Craphonso

Craphonso

Craphonso

Craphonso

Craphonso

Craphonso

Craphonso

Craphonso

Craphonso

Craphonso

Craphonso

Craphonso

Craphonso

Craphonso

Craphonso

Craphonso

Craphonso

Craphonso

Craphonso

Craphonso

Craphonso

Craphonso

Craphonso

Craphonso

Craphonso

Craphonso

Craphonso

Craphonso

Craphonso

Craphonso

Craphonso

Craphonso

Craphonso

Craphonso

Craphonso

Craphonso

Craphonso

Craphonso

Craphonso

Craphonso

Craphonso

Craphonso

Craphonso

Craphonso

Craphonso

Marcus Easley - most beloved Bill of all time with "unlimited potential" and the "biggest upside"

If Easley makes the question/competion unfair due to his dominance, (and we are unable to pick ourselves) I will rock with Curt Henning...aka Mr. Perfect. Guy could throw and complete 75 yard passes to himself. (also endorsed by Steve Jordan)

Marcus Easley - most beloved Bill of all time with "unlimited potential" and the "biggest upside"

If Easley makes the question/competion unfair due to his dominance, (and we are unable to pick ourselves) I will rock with Curt Henning...aka Mr. Perfect. Guy could throw and complete 75 yard passes to himself. (also endorsed by Steve Jordan)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8iK7vRYeY3U

when i was a kid i actual thought he threw and caught that....

Tim Tebow.... physically he can play every position .... (Someone go ahead and say it) accept for_______

Gotta play defense too. How about Antonio Gates? Assuming you operate your team w/o much of a passing attack, only CB and DT would be liabilities.

I was thinking defense too. You don't have to be big to play defense, just fast enough and strong enough to run/take the other guy down.

If we're talking about a league of athletic clones, where the guys on offense have the same athletic skills as the guys on defense, same attributes, same everything, then it sounds a lot like rugby to me. But, rather than a field full of big lumbering guys, I want to see what a bunch of stocky, quick guys can do. More exciting, I'd venture.

gronk. easy choice. he can catch and block. he's able to run up and down the field well. he's large enough to not be man-handled by an o-line.

Gronks an interesting call. Not as big as a Bruce smith but still plenty big and may more than make up the size difference in offensive skills. But in Bruce's defense if memory serves me right he was an excellent college bbal player at VT. Kind of a Charles barkley "round mound of rebound" type that could score some points.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

I was thinking defense too. You don't have to be big to play defense, just fast enough and strong enough to run/take the other guy down.

If we're talking about a league of athletic clones, where the guys on offense have the same athletic skills as the guys on defense, same attributes, same everything, then it sounds a lot like rugby to me. But, rather than a field full of big lumbering guys, I want to see what a bunch of stocky, quick guys can do. More exciting, I'd venture.

In that case I'll pit my 53 Maurice Jones Drews against your 53 Darren Sproles. :D

Nailed it!

I was going to chime in the same in reply to big Ben.

What you want is a guy that's about 250-260 with 4.5 speed and some semblance of an arm.

Cam is the prototype for this.

Edited by NoSaint

I'd take a top-notch safety--like Ed Reed or Troy Polamalu. Fast, athletic, hit well, good hands.

I'd take the 50 or so lbs gap over the likely minimal gain in speed (especially at those guys ages)

Really has to be a TE, big qb, or 34 OLB for this. Someone athletic enough for the perimeter but strong enough for the trenches.

How about some other defensive guys - Demarcus ware? Hes 6'4, 260+ and runs a 4.5

Very similar to cam but a question of ball skills vs tackling. Ware was an MVP wideout in HS though, which helps.

A never would be considered current player: Robert Quinn. Hell of an athlete that put up amazing measurables considering he was a full year off when he had his proday.

Edited by NoSaint

I'd take the 50 or so lbs gap over the likely minimal gain in speed (especially at those guys ages)

Really has to be a TE, big qb, or 34 OLB for this.

How about some other defensive guys - Demarcus ware? Hes 6'4, 260+ and runs a 4.5

Very similar to cam but a question of ball skills vs tackling.

I can't see Ware covering guys downfield. I think you almost need a LB-safety tweener-- like a Brian Urlacher perhaps.

I would still think Polamalu or Reed (in their prime) would be better; I'd rather have the speed than the weight.

I can't see Ware covering guys downfield. I think you almost need a LB-safety tweener-- like a Brian Urlacher perhaps.

I would still think Polamalu or Reed (in their prime) would be better; I'd rather have the speed than the weight.

That speed doesn't get far when your 208 lbs offensive lineman are on their backs and this safety is is trying to throw over/run by a 260+ lbs 6'4 tank that's very nearly as fast.

On the flip side, he won't look that fast when getting blocked by a team with 11 guys heavier than him running the ball down his throat. It's got to be a tweener for the outside (again TE or 34 olb).

You wouldn't be able to get outside to stretch, as the outside blockers would be blown up. Wouldn't power in the middle as the big guys much stronger.

50lbs beats a tenth of a second every time. If we were talking 3-4 tenths it gets much closer but that much muscle and only losing a half step.... The small guy would be on the ground faster than he'd run the 40!

Easy. Teddy Bruschi. He can:

a). Score a touchdown and save puppies from a burning car.

b). Carry 6 players on his back.

c). Best Person ever seen in a uniform

d). Speaks 14 languages

e). Half man/Half god/ Possible Centaur

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=bgmGca0Gkh4

Edited by Cville Bills

1) Tom Rathman - Baddest West Coast Offense player of all time. No one else even comes close.

2) Danny White - Dude could punt too:

White had 1,761 completions on 2,950 attempts for 21,959 yards, 155 touchdowns, and 132 interceptions in his career. He also gained 482 yards and scored 8 touchdownsrushing. Unusual for a quarterback, he had two pass receptions for touchdowns, both from a halfback option pass. On special teams he punted 610 times for 24,509 yards, an average of 40.4 yards per punt, with 144 punts inside the 20 and 77 touchbacks. His record as the Cowboys' starting quarterback was 62-32 (.659 winning percentage) during the regular season, and 5-5 in the playoffs.

http://en.wikipedia....iki/Danny_White

3) Doug Flutie - Run, pass, drop kick...

Edited by Boom Jam

Mike Vrable. Big, strong, and tough enough to bang in the trenches on both offense and defense. Obviously capable at any of the tweener spots (LB, FB, TE). Smart enough to handle all the reads and calls on both spides of the ball. Instinctive and athletic enough to play saftey. He would invariably suffer at most (read: "all") of the skill positions, but I like his overall breakdown better than anyone else of this era. Jim Brown is the only other guy I'd consider, and if this were 1985 I'd have chosen him instead; but I don't think he'd be able to bang with modern day linemen.

Easy. Teddy Bruschi. He can:

a). Score a touchdown and save puppies from a burning car.

b). Carry 6 players on his back.

c). Best Person ever seen in a uniform

d). Speaks 14 languages

e). Half man/Half god/ Possible Centaur

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=bgmGca0Gkh4

How quickly people forget.... game over.