Andy Reid's son found dead at Eagles training camp

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sad news for Reid. The poor guy's family is a mess. He should really think about retiring, not showing up to work this week as all reports have him doing.

i didnt see the end result - but they were saying he was planning on only missing the one day the last i saw??? is he back already?

Sad news for Reid. The poor guy's family is a mess. He should really think about retiring, not showing up to work this week as all reports have him doing.

After this, football may be all he has left. It's got to be brutally tough for the Reid family right now. Just guessing but maybe he thought things were under control by having him working in camp with him. A. Reid must be doing a lot of second guessing now. I don't know if there is anything worse in life than losing a kid.

After this, football may be all he has left. It's got to be brutally tough for the Reid family right now. Just guessing but maybe he thought things were under control by having him working in camp with him. A. Reid must be doing a lot of second guessing now. I don't know if there is anything worse in life than losing a kid.

He still has 4 other kids. And unfortunately, the more kids you have, there's always a chance one is going to mess up no matter how great you are as parents. Kids are kids. But I'm sure as parents all you do is blame yourself.

I'm going to preface this by saying that I'm making a lot of assumptions in this post and fully expect to get hammered for this and I apologize if anyone takes offense, but here goes. I don't understand why everyone gets so bent out of shape over things like this. The fact of the matter is that this kid lived a priveleged life and chose to become a drug user and drug dealer. He would actually travel to rough parts of Philly (from the lush Villanova area) to sell drugs to the poor because he got a thrill out of it and liked being the rich/important drug dealer in the poor neighborhood (via a coversation with his probation officer stated in court hearings). I'm sorry, but this kid had a pretty plush life and threw it away and I'm supposed to feel bad for him? Maybe he really cleaned up his life and was truly turning it around, and in that case, yeah, it would suck if some medical issue killed him after he straightened out. But most likely, it was not. Plenty of good people with good families setting good examples die every day and no one gives two craps, but because this kid is the son of an NFL coach I'm supposed to feel extra sorry for him? Sorry, I don't.

As far as Andy Reid goes, he has had both of his sons in trouble with drug related issues and addictions, but instead of quitting coaching and mentoring his boys who clearly needed help, he chose to keep coaching instead. Whaveter his reason for doing so was, obviously, not worth it in the long run. Coaches at the NFL level invariably spend ungodly hours at the facility and away from their families and I have to believe that his absence in this kids life must have at least a little to do with this situation. When you chose coaching over family (especially when your children have obvious issues) I don't really feel sorry for you when something like this happens.

Again, I made a lot of assumptions in this post and could be completely off base in my comments, but on its face I'm not going to feel bad for Andy or his kid here. You reap what you sow.

Edited by Mark80

I'm going to preface this by saying that I'm making a lot of assumptions in this post and fully expect to get hammered for this and I apologize if anyone takes offense, but here goes. I don't understand why everyone gets so bent out of shape over things like this. The fact of the matter is that this kid lived a priveleged life and chose to become a drug user and drug dealer. He would actually travel to rough parts of Philly (from the lush Villanova area) to sell drugs to the poor because he got a thrill out of it and liked being the rich/important drug dealer in the poor neighborhood (via a coversation with his probation officer stated in court hearings). I'm sorry, but this kid had a pretty plush life and threw it away and I'm supposed to feel bad for him? Maybe he really cleaned up his life and was truly turning it around, and in that case, yeah, it would suck if some medical issue killed him after he straightened out. But most likely, it was not. Plenty of good people with good families setting good examples die every day and no one gives two craps, but because this kid is the son of an NFL coach I'm supposed to feel extra sorry for him? Sorry, I don't.

As far as Andy Reid goes, he has had both of his sons in trouble with drug related issues and addictions, but instead of quitting coaching and mentoring his boys who clearly needed help, he chose to keep coaching instead. Whaveter his reason for doing so was, obviously, not worth it in the long run. Coaches at the NFL level invariably spend ungodly hours at the facility and away from their families and I have to believe that his absence in this kids life must have at least a little to do with this situation. When you chose coaching over family (especially when your children have obvious issues) I don't really feel sorry for you when something like this happens.

Again, I made a lot of assumptions in this post and could be completely off base in my comments, but on its face I'm not going to feel bad for Andy or his kid here. You reap what you sow.

Again i concede I'm making assumptions too, whereas I get the venting on the sons in question (didn't know there were 2 in trouble), i don't buy into Reid having to give up his career for 2 kids who seem wholly unappreciative of their privileges, and how do we even know if he spent more time with them it would have made any difference?

Most kids would love it of their dad was HC in the NFL. And the large majority of those that do have them dont seem to have these kinds of problems. I just think it further adds to a parents misery blaming them for the actions CHOSEN by a derelict kid.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Sometimes kids of "privilege" have it just as hard or harder than those who are "underprivileged". I'm not saying this was or wasn't true of Reid's kid, but some of these kids are emotionally neglected, suffer from depression, or are under so much pressure they can't handle it & something's gotta give. Money's great but it can't fix everything.

He still has 4 other kids. And unfortunately, the more kids you have, there's always a chance one is going to mess up no matter how great you are as parents. Kids are kids. But I'm sure as parents all you do is blame yourself.

May he RIP and God bless his soul...

How much can you blame yourself as a parent when your child reaches almost 30 years old?

His son was 29 years old. Sure, still Andy's kid... But he is by no means a "kid." At 30, I had a child (and one on the way) along with being 5 years into a mortgage.

Again... May he RIP... But jeeze Louise, when do kids stop being kids? He was an adult with an addiction problem.

Well, since you fully expected to get hammered, I guess you won't mind my saying that there's a difference between not feeling sorry for someone and taking the opportunity to kick someone when they're down. There's an old saying about when you don't have anything good to say, it's best not to say anything at all. This is one of those times.

My condolences to the Reid family.

man, thats cold.. sure hope you dont have to go through what reid and his family are experiencing.

Yea you're right no one should make assumptions on a tragedy like this, especially if you have not walked in that mans shoes. Guessing you don't have kids? because if you do I feel sorry for them.

May he RIP and God bless his soul...

How much can you blame yourself as a parent when your child reaches almost 30 years old?

His son was 29 years old. Sure, still Andy's kid... But he is by no means a "kid." At 30, I had a child (and one on the way) along with being 5 years into a mortgage.

Again... May he RIP... But jeeze Louise, when do kids stop being kids? He was an adult with an addiction problem.

And let's not forget why the son was in lehigh in the first place. Reid set him up with a job as asst strength coach, presumably to help get his life back in order and be nearer to him, which a lot of people are citing as a failure on his part. The outward signs are that reid and the eagles did their best to help him out.

I'm going to preface this by saying that I'm making a lot of assumptions in this post and fully expect to get hammered for this and I apologize if anyone takes offense, but here goes. I don't understand why everyone gets so bent out of shape over things like this. The fact of the matter is that this kid lived a priveleged life and chose to become a drug user and drug dealer. He would actually travel to rough parts of Philly (from the lush Villanova area) to sell drugs to the poor because he got a thrill out of it and liked being the rich/important drug dealer in the poor neighborhood (via a coversation with his probation officer stated in court hearings). I'm sorry, but this kid had a pretty plush life and threw it away and I'm supposed to feel bad for him? Maybe he really cleaned up his life and was truly turning it around, and in that case, yeah, it would suck if some medical issue killed him after he straightened out. But most likely, it was not. Plenty of good people with good families setting good examples die every day and no one gives two craps, but because this kid is the son of an NFL coach I'm supposed to feel extra sorry for him? Sorry, I don't.As far as Andy Reid goes, he has had both of his sons in trouble with drug related issues and addictions, but instead of quitting coaching and mentoring his boys who clearly needed help, he chose to keep coaching instead. Whaveter his reason for doing so was, obviously, not worth it in the long run. Coaches at the NFL level invariably spend ungodly hours at the facility and away from their families and I have to believe that his absence in this kids life must have at least a little to do with this situation. When you chose coaching over family (especially when your children have obvious issues) I don't really feel sorry for you when something like this happens.

I am not going to hammer you. I will say that if and when i do read about anyones death it make me feel sad. yes the reason we are hearing so much about Garret Reid is because of who his father is. And yes Garret had a very troubled life, this makes his death and unfortunately his life sad. Sometimes there are situations that occur and just are a tragedy. nothing new to learn or look for a positive, they just are bad.

I feel bad for Andy Reid. I do not have kids, i do have nieces and i know how upset i would be if anything happened to them.

if i was a parent i would go home tonight and hug my child and make sure to take the time for them to see what they mean to me. Show them how wonderful it is to be able to have a family and share love with them.

I hope Andy finds peace. As far as working goes and how it affects his parenting, none of us know that. It is judgemental and cold to make any assumptions.

Blame is a natural human instinct so we can try to feel in control of an accident or mistake. I for one hope Andy and his family do not blame anyone for this tragedy but can move forward in time and remember their son/brother/friend with a smile.

Definitely sad news and I feel for the Reid family but at the same time I'm not all that surprised this is how things turned out. Just about as shocking as hearing about Amy Whinehouse overdosing. Tragic indeed.

Edited by FleaMoulds80

i can't think of any rational reason why you shouldn't make all those assumptions at this particular time. you're an anonymous poster on a message board with other anonymous posters, with no real knowledge of anything at all. if not here, where?

• 2 months later...

eventually we will start treating these people for their addictions rather than labeling them crimminals and locking them up.

this x's 1000. I thank god I never got involved in that lifestyle, but a couple of very good friends around me did and I watched them slowly destroy their lives to the point where I couldn't be friends with people I knew since childhood. At the end of the day you're not gonna stop unless you want to, but they shouldn't be punished the same way common criminals are. It doesn't stop the addiction and ruins their lives when they do get out and 9 times out of 10 will go right back to using.