Concerns rasied about Buffalo's receiving corps

HOUSE

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Big Trouble with depth at WR.....not good.

I heard the interview, Chan Gailey really sounds pissed. This may be the first time I heard him lose it!

http://msn.foxsports...-group-79311636

Hey House, have you listened to the interviews on BB.com?

While he was not candy-coating things, I think it might look worse in print than it sounded on the video audio.

The silver lining is that with Stevie and Nelson being held out of practice, it gives the other guys more reps to improve their rapport with the QBs.

I personally don't think this is a big deal.

While he was not candy-coating things, I think it might look worse in print than it sounded on the video audio.

The silver lining is that with Stevie and Nelson being held out of practice, it gives the other guys more reps to improve their rapport with the QBs.

No, I will have to do that. I heard part of the interview on WGR...... I hope you are right. I think we need to solve this problem before the season starts

Edited by HOUSE

Big Trouble with depth at WR.....not good.

I heard the interview, Chan Gailey really sounds pissed. This may be the first time I heard him lose it!

http://msn.foxsports...-group-79311636

That's motivation for them. After the issues we had last year I'm guessing the coaching staff has harped on everyone that if their number is called they need to step up. Chan's pretty pissed if it doesn't happen when the opportunity is presented.

Players have bad practices like they have bad games. There were apparently a lot of drops today and it was a problem. TODAY. Chan is not going to tolerate it because it cannot happen much. All players drop balls once in awhile. You try to keep it to a minimum obviously. Chan has also repeatedly said how guys were doing well and making plays on other days, and he is very pleased overall with the receiving corps. We will be fine.

Players have bad practices like they have bad games. There were apparently a lot of drops today and it was a problem. TODAY. Chan is not going to tolerate it because it cannot happen much. All players drop balls once in awhile. You try to keep it to a minimum obviously. Chan has also repeatedly said how guys were doing well and making plays on other days, and he is very pleased overall with the receiving corps. We will be fine.

Sure hope you are right :thumbsup:

The bigger issue to me is that it seems that our passing offense is very complex and requires very studious and intelligent players.

You see how Vince Young has struggled with picking up the offense and how some of the receivers do also.

You read constantly how the wideouts on this team are expected to eventually be able to play every wide receiver position.

I'm pretty convinced that this offense is more complex than many/most other NFL offenses.

While a Jauron-simplified offense is a recipe for disaster in today's NFL, I think it can be reasonably stated that at some point, increasing complexity gets you to a point of diminishing returns.

I sometimes wonder if this offense is a bit too complex… especially when you see how players like Chad Johnson have thrived in their careers operating in rather simplified schemes.

The bigger issue to me is that it seems that our passing offense is very complex and requires very studious and intelligent players.

You see how Vince Young has struggled with picking up the offense and how some of the receivers do also.

You read constantly how the wideouts on this team are expected to eventually be able to play every wide receiver position.

I'm pretty convinced that this offense is more complex than many/most other NFL offenses.

While a Jauron-simplified offense is a recipe for disaster in today's NFL, I think it can be reasonably stated that at some point, increasing complexity gets you to a point of diminishing returns.

I sometimes wonder if this offense is a bit too complex… especially when you see how players like Chad Johnson have thrived in their careers operating in rather simplified schemes.

I heard Derek Hagan (IIRC) on GR the other day and he said it is really not that hard. He worked and studied hard at learning the plays, but he said as soon as he learned the play, he immediately knew where all of the other players were going to be. So it didn't matter which of the 4 WR positions he was playing.

David Nelson is a smart guy, and he came from a spread offense. But he picked up Chan's offense right away and succeeded right off the bat. SJ pretty much succeeded pretty early in the offense. Hagan didnt have ANY time to learn the offense and he produced instantly, without even knowing the plays well.

Well if the offense is to complex for VY and Receivers is it safe to say we still do not have the right players at those positions? I'm talking receivers here for the most part.

Or should Gailey dumb it down a little? Gailey's was nowhere near being in contention for offensive coach of the year in 2011 and other than Graham (who some think was a reach) what has changed with the receiving corp? Injuries aside none of those guys impress or scare many D-Backs.This is IMO our weakest unit on the team but also one of the most important for a pass happy coach and league.

We have a good TE and 2 very good RBs that can catch and play WR a lot. We'll be fine. They had a bad practice. You guys try not to get too excited about things. Don't get too down either.

Edited by nucci

I'm sure that ideally, Chan would like a stud at #2 WR. All he really needs, as I've been saying, is someone to stretch the defense, like Graham or Easley. The bulk of the passes will be directed to Stevie, Nelson, Chandler, and Fred/CJ, leaving little for the #2 guy anyway.

I heard Derek Hagan (IIRC) on GR the other day and he said it is really not that hard. He worked and studied hard at learning the plays, but he said as soon as he learned the play, he immediately knew where all of the other players were going to be. So it didn't matter which of the 4 WR positions he was playing.

David Nelson is a smart guy, and he came from a spread offense. But he picked up Chan's offense right away and succeeded right off the bat. SJ pretty much succeeded pretty early in the offense. Hagan didnt have ANY time to learn the offense and he produced instantly, without even knowing the plays well.

I would only say that any player competing for a roster spot is gonna publicly say that the offense is not that hard.

Well if the offense is to complex for VY and Receivers is it safe to say we still do not have the right players at those positions? I'm talking receivers here for the most part.

Or should Gailey dumb it down a little? Gailey's was nowhere near being in contention for offensive coach of the year in 2011 and other than Graham (who some think was a reach) what has changed with the receiving corp? Injuries aside none of those guys impress or scare many D-Backs.This is IMO our weakest unit on the team but also one of the most important for a pass happy coach and league.

This is where I'm coming from, guys.

A week ago when commenting on the backup QB position, Gailey said that Young was at a disadvantage because the offense is "so much more evolved" than it was two seasons earlier.

I believe (can't prove it) that in the 3rd year of this program, there have been layers of complexity built up over time and for newcomers to the offense, that it's much harder to pick up in year 3 than it was for guys who got in on the ground floor and have grown with the offense.

I wish we had a clear cut #2. Seems to me they are all pretty much equal

I wish you would pay attention to our HC. A "clear cut #2" is not important; the Bills need four WRs who are capable of playing the various positions.

I wish you would pay attention to our HC. A "clear cut #2" is not important; the Bills need four WRs who are capable of playing the various positions.

Yes, yes, I saw that. Still want one guy better then the rest. :nana:

Id like to see CJ splitting outside for more passes this year. I think the matchups you can create by putting CJ and Freddy in backfield together is just plain scary!!!

One of the camp reports mentioned them doing this. Should be fun to see!

I read it as standard coach-talk, using the media to call a player out for excessive screw-ups (dropped balls etc)

Basically, Chan challenging these WR to step up their game, no excuses, get the job done or we'll find somebody who can.

I don't think it's that complex, relative to other offenses on top, successful teams in the league today (Giants, Pats, N'Orleans).

Unlike a defense, which is reactive and to some degree, the simpler the better, an offense has to be reasonably complex to be functional in this league today.

Ah, but did the teams they were on thrive? That's a relevant question.

I don't think it's that complex, relative to other offenses on top, successful teams in the league today (Giants, Pats, N'Orleans).

Unlike a defense, which is reactive and to some degree, the simpler the better, an offense has to be reasonably complex to be functional in this league today.

Ah, but did the teams they were on thrive? That's a relevant question.

And what of my theory that the offense is more complex at the advent of its 3rd season (referencing Gailey's remarks about Young being at a disadvantage because it's more advanced than it was in year one)?

Anyways, all of our statements about the complexity of Gailey's offense are conjecture.

I believe it's pretty complex. He seems like a bit of a mad scientist and he seems to put a premium on brainy football players.

That is all.

You realize Bowe is still a free agent?

PTR

Not totally though.

The Chiefs used the non-exclusive franchise tag which I believe means that if they decide not to match an offer, are entitled to two (2) first round draft picks.

Unless the Chiefs withdrew the franchise tag…

please dont just make a thread with just an article we all see on two bills drive. we can already read that ourselves if we want. Make an iteligent point about something you read or saw in a few obscure places...something we dont already see for ourselves.

I never checked out Two Bills Drive, thanks for the info.

:worthy:

Edited by HOUSE

that's my piece, and this has been a concern. not just Saturday, but Friday as well. and it was a concern also going into camp.

i'm not saying it can't be fixed, but some perspective is needed, i think, after all the happy talk -- some if it coming from me. though this team looks capable of 10 wins, there are still questions that need to be answered. and without Johnson and Nelson, i question at this point who is capable of filling those roles, because no one as of yet has shown the consistency to do so.

yes, i realize it's Aug. 5. but last Aug. 5 or so, Buddy Nix was questioning the lack of experienced depth on his team, and look what happened.

i'm not saying the sky is falling, but having an umbrella never hurts.

jw

add: and i think Chan's unhappiness is merited. expectations are higher, so the expectations in practice must be higher. i think that's his overall message to everyone here.

Edited by john wawrow

that's my piece, and this has been a concern. not just Saturday, but Friday as well. and it was a concern also going into camp.

i'm not saying it can't be fixed, but some perspective is needed, i think, after all the happy talk -- some if it coming from me. though this team looks capable of 10 wins, there are still questions that need to be answered. and without Johnson and Nelson, i question at this point who is capable of filling those roles, because no one as of yet has shown the consistency to do so.

yes, i realize it's Aug. 5. but last Aug. 5 or so, Buddy Nix was questioning the lack of experienced depth on his team, and look what happened.

jw

add: and i think Chan's unhappiness is merited. expectations are higher, so the expectations in practice must be higher. i think that's his overall message to everyone here.

And that's the question at wide receiver.

Depth.

Losing Nelson and then Johnson over the last few days has underscored that concern and to lose even one of them for any length of time would create a big pressure point for this team.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

And that's the question at wide receiver.

Depth.

Losing Nelson and then Johnson over the last few days has underscored that concern and to lose even one of them for any length of time would create a big pressure point for this team.

I think the question is...

Talent.

I don't see too much there on paper right now, Stevie, lots of decent #5 & #6 WRs, and Nelson who is a step above that.... would LOVE to see TJ surprise & step up this pre-season, may be too early for him though. We'll see what happens this month, but if.this group looks weak before the opener, I hope Nix makes a move to upgrade.

Edited by Rico

I think the question is...

Talent.

I don't see too much there on paper right now.... would LOVE to see TJ surprise & step up this pre-season, may be too early for him though. We'll see what happens this month, but if.this group looks weak before the opener, I hope Nix makes a move to upgrade.

And I think that if Stevie and Nelson remain healthy, that when combined with Chandler, Freddy, and Spiller, that it won't matter much who the other wideouts are.

However if one of the two gets injured, it becomes a very different scenario, IMO.

And I think that if Stevie and Nelson remain healthy, that when combined with Chandler, Freddy, and Spiller, that it won't matter much who the other wideouts are.

However if one of the two gets injured, it becomes a very different scenario, IMO.

That may work for awhile, but I don't know if it can be sustained (where did I hear that before? :D) once the season progresses & teams get a chance to figure the Bills O out. I do agree that injuries (especially to Stevie) would be killer, but I would still like to see one more top-notch WR in the mix... pulling for TJ. :thumbsup:

jw

Question for you, jw...

Myself, I was talking about drops. And it seems that is what Chan was referring to today, the number of drops. He is also not happy lately about missing assignments.

What I don't know, not having been at training camp, is this: Is the concern for the WR corps as a whole about dropping passes, or is the concern simply about the overall problem with the 3-5 or 6 WR spots, which includes drops, missing assignments, not being able to separate or get off the line, not running great routes, not winning the battles for the jump balls, blocking, etc?

I imagine his issue is the second one, and not the amount of drops, which was the problem it seems today.

IMO, i don't see any of these 3-6 guys having a great camp so far, or winning the #2 job outright, but that between them, especially Jones, Hagan, Graham and Easley, they will pose enough of a threat when they are on the field to allow the offense to be an efficient machine because of the talents of Fred, Spiller, SJ, Chandler, Fitz, etc.

This is not a new concern for me. I think we're weak at WR. We didn't bring in much new blood to help with a drop happy/can't catch a football on the sidelines or in a crowd crew of last year.

We'll see what happens in pre season. But as of now, I'm concerned just like I was last year.

Yes, yes, I saw that. Still want one guy better then the rest. :nana:

That's your issue. Not an issue with the Bills receivers. Maybe therapy can help with that one.

Them dropping balls is an issue. Hopefully, coaching can help them with that one.

Edited by jeremy2020