Salt in my ear

Q-tip?

And how can you stand swimming in the ocean? When I go to the beach and risk getting in the water I either a) get water in my eyes and then can't wipe my eye because my hands are wet too or b)step on something; one time I stepped on a sting ray.

you definitely bring a unique perspective to things around here.

Hey gang I got salt in my ear the other day while swimming in the ocean and it is really getting annoying. Plus I worried about getting an infection. Anything I can do at home to get rid of it?

most likely you already have an infection. probably not related to salt. see your doc or go to an urgent care and don't use a q tip.

I don't know if this is bad... But it helps with earwax... Use a little bit of peroxide. I know you aren't supposed to use it uder finger nails... But the ear drains.

After which, you gently flush it with lukewarm water with one of those ear bulb syringes. The water combining with the peroxide... uhmmm... well, it's been awhile since chemistry class... but it deactivates/neutralizes the peroxide. And no, this isn't bad. Using peroxide every so often to fizz away wax buildup is fine. But don't mistake, wax in the ears is a good thing. It should fall out naturally in small bits/balls --- that is the sign of a healthy ear. I don't know whether it would help with "salt in the ear" tho, if that is the OP's actual problem. A trip back out through the ear canal and/or Eustacean tube drainage probably should have taken care of any sea water before it evaporated and left salt deposits.... :huh:

Don't f'ing use a Q-Tip. They are the root cause of many ear infections. The skin inside near the eardrum is like paper-thin. Even being "gentle" you irritate that, it becomes red and damaged and prone to infection taking hold.

This is straight from ENT doctors.

Edited by UConn James

I don't know if this is bad... But it helps with earwax... Use a little bit of peroxide. I know you aren't supposed to use it uder finger nails... But the ear drains.

And you call me arrogant for not asking for advice on this site. Arrogance has nothing to do with it.

And you call me arrogant for not asking for advice on this site. Arrogance has nothing to do with it.

Where did this come from? Huh? Come again. :unsure: :unsure:

After which, you gently flush it with lukewarm water with one of those ear bulb syringes. The water combining with the peroxide... uhmmm... well, it's been awhile since chemistry class... but it deactivates/neutralizes the peroxide. And no, this isn't bad. Using peroxide every so often to fizz away wax buildup is fine. But don't mistake, wax in the ears is a good thing. It should fall out naturally in small bits/balls --- that is the sign of a healthy ear. I don't know whether it would help with "salt in the ear" tho, if that is the OP's actual problem. A trip back out through the ear canal and/or Eustacean tube drainage probably should have taken care of any sea water before it evaporated and left salt deposits.... :huh:

Don't f'ing use a Q-Tip. They are the root cause of many ear infections. The skin inside near the eardrum is like paper-thin. Even being "gentle" you irritate that, it becomes red and damaged and prone to infection taking hold.

This is straight from ENT doctors.

Thanks!

That is what I was thinking... Unless they are a little child. ;)

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

To wit:

Q-Tips of Mass Destruction by Rod Moser, PA, PhD.

A week does not pass where I have the opportunity to chastise yet another injured Q-tip user on the Ear Disorders Board or in my own clinic. I had two today, including one admitted bobby-pin user. I have a well-deserved reputation of being a venomous and unsympathetic opponent of using Q-tips in the ear, so I thought this topic deserved another blog post.

Since we do not have the ability to look inside our own ears at the present time (you can buy a video otoscope for under a thousand dollars if you want), most Q-tip users blindly probe around looking for yellow, often getting red instead. Many will look at their wax-stained swab with pride and admiration of a job well done. Eventually, they will go too far and injure or rupture their eardrums. If it wasn’t for pain and blood, I suspect that some people would excavate around until they pulled out little bones or brain tissue. Perhaps, many have already done that.

Chronic Q-tip use creates dryness in the sensitive ear canal. Dry skin itches. People with itchy ears use Q-tips (and other found objects) to scratch them. The scratching causes itching. Do you see the cycle here? Eventually, the damaged skin will break down and crack, allowing opportunistic bacteria or yucky fungus to invade. Congratulations. You have caused otitis externa, also known as Swimmer’s Ear.

Edited by UConn James

Fonzi wasn't really arrogant underneath it all... Just scared and ignorant to his own emotions/humanness. :P

To wit:

Q-Tips of Mass Destruction by Rod Moser, PA, PhD.

Also... They shouldn't make crazy glue look like ear drop bottles! :wallbash::doh: One story: My father had to take ear drops and my mother applied crazy glue instead! You should have seen the looks on the nurses faces! :lol:

Did the ear wash thing now and now it just feels like I have water in my ear. if its still there tomorrow should I assume infection? Uconn?

you should assume it now. it's very likely you have swimmers ear (which is infection of the outer ear) and possibly a middle ear infection. it will get worse before it gets better left untreated and might result in serious damage to your ear. i'm guessing it's hurting pretty bad right about now?

you should assume it now. it's very likely you have swimmers ear (which is infection of the outer ear) and possibly a middle ear infection. it will get worse before it gets better left untreated and might result in serious damage to your ear. i'm guessing it's hurting pretty bad right about now?

More annoying than anything. I have an admittedly high pain tolerance tho. This only started sunday, is there a time period I can expect an infection start?

I don't know about your ear but I do know this.

Never put salt in your eyes

My Mom told me never to put beans in my ears.

Decapitation would solve the problem.

Savage!

I civilized person would suggest amputation.

We know...we know.

LMFAO!!!

Scrap the **** out of it with a bobby pin.

Perhaps a scratch awl.

Aren't leeches like slugs?? Would the salt kill them??

Also I'm told they're not fond of peroxide.

Also... They shouldn't make crazy glue look like ear drop bottles! :wallbash::doh: One story: My father had to take ear drops and my mother applied crazy glue instead! You should have seen the looks on the nurses faces! :lol:

LOL, Crazy Glue and earwax.

Could be a problem.

More annoying than anything. I have an admittedly high pain tolerance tho. This only started sunday, is there a time period I can expect an infection start?

:huh:

Go to the doctor or clinic. Tell them you think you have an ear infection and it's starting to hurt. They'll look with an otoscope and see what's up. If it hurts to any degree inside the ear, my guess is it's infected; and it'll hurt more at its own pace, but that gets exponential fast, and any pain in the face isn't something you can just forget about. If it is, they'll probably write you an Rx or give you a sample of something like drops and/or a Z-pack and suggest a warm water bottle (you know... the red rubber ones) to take the edge off a little.

Whether it happened because of the sea water [James shrugs and says "Meh"] or it's something that's been brewing for awhile and you're mis-attributing it, I would start wearing wax or silicone earplugs in the water. And don't use Q-Tips.

Edited by UConn James

:huh:

Go to the doctor or clinic. Tell them you think you have an ear infection and it's starting to hurt. They'll look with an otoscope and see what's up. If it hurts to any degree inside the ear, my guess is it's infected; and it'll hurt more at its own pace, but that gets exponential fast, and any pain in the face isn't something you can just forget about. If it is, they'll probably write you an Rx or give you a sample of something like drops and/or a Z-pack and suggest a warm water bottle (you know... the red rubber ones) to take the edge off a little.

Whether it happened because of the sea water [James shrugs and says "Meh"] or it's something that's been brewing for awhile and you're mis-attributing it, I would start wearing wax or silicone earplugs in the water. And don't use Q-Tips.

Ya i woke up today and cant hear out my right ear very well. Very muffled so Im heading to the doc now