Any interest in Josh Gordon in Supplemental Draft

I believe that we already have a rather extensive line up of receivers on the roster ... would hate to see the team 'waste' a pick on someone who has a very limited chance of making any team's starting line up this year.

And, he is just what everyone needs ... a drug history and an inability to commit to a program that was willing to take him in.

If the kid had any maturity, he'd play at least one season for UTAH and prove to everyone that he has changed while still maintaining the talent he showed at Baylor.

But, from all appearances ... he'll be available after the Supplemental draft for free. And, even then I don't want him.

Edited by shoretalk

Drug problems and an inability to commit to a program. I would take a big pass on him. Plus what others have also said. There's a DOZEN wide receivers on the depth chart right now. That just seems excessive to me.

A second round pick is FAR to valuable for this guy. That's a Cody Glenn or Rob Gronkowski. Or at least a solid role player if you dont mess up. IF I was one hundred percent sold on Fitz as the franchise, then maybe a 3rd or 4th rounder makes sense, but until then the Bills need to stockpile picks for a potential Redskins esque trade as unlike the Skins, the Bills might truly be only a franchise QB away from the start of another good run.

I HIGHLY doubt that he will go in the 2nd round. In fact, I'd be surprised if he went before the 4th. People in the supplemental drafts tend to have warning signs all over them, and that tends to drop them down the draft pretty far. My guess is that he's taken in the 5th, possibly the 4th. He's a developmental guy that will take at least a year in a system with a lot of upside, but also a huge bust potential.

Sounds like the big fast reciever that we all coveted in April. Shefty tweeted he would go in the 2nd. Do the Bills bid a 2nd for him?

Um, no thanks. We already have a big fast receiver who hasn't played for a season or so and who only had 1 real year of playing experience before that - except ours lacks the character issues and didn't play for a very good reason (injury/illness)

Edited by Hopeful

I'm all for taking a risky player once in a while if there is upside. And there is definitely upside if the guy can run sub 4.4 and is 6'4 -- but my philosophy is never pay full price for that risk, you want to look for discounts. If you were taking him in Rd 2 that's "full price" for a guy who hasn't played and is a character concern.

I don't think the bills will offer at Gordon based on Nix's track record, but I certainly see why this guy is being talked about as a 2nd or 3rd round pick.The natural comparison for him is Stephen Hill in my mind, whom a lot of Bills fans were hoping we might target in round 2 or 3. Both sound like incredible athlete's both had limited tape as a WR. Hill performed very well at the combine, so we'll have to see what Gordon does at his pro day and Gordon is further discounted due to "Character" concerns and having sat out a year.

I could maybe be talked into bidding a 3rd round pick on him. I can only go by the media reports on T.J. Graham and Marcus Easely (which sound generally positive), but if our scouts and G.M. think Gordon willbe a better pro than than either Graham or Easely you need to consider placing a high bid for this guy.

When you are good at your job, like Nix and Gailey seem to be, you go to these things on days like July 10 to watch, in person, a player with obvious NFL size and talent and see what he looks like.

It's called "looking at every way to improve your team."

It's their responsibility to show up for this thing and evaluate the kid themselves, and talk to him themselves, and then decide if a 2nd, or 3rd, or 4th, or 5th, or 6th, or 7th round pick is worth it to them. It says zero about their belief in the players themselves, and it says zero about what they truly believe about what truly happened with this kid. It says they are smart guys at their jobs for looking everywhere to improve this team.

I doubt very much if he goes in the second round. The supplemental draft every year seems like there are guys rumored to go in the 2-7th round that never get chosen at all. I think he will be chosen. If I had to guess, it would be a 4th. In fact, if you're a fan of the Bills you should hope that he gets chosen, because that means Nix and Gailey LOVE this guy and think he is a good shot at becoming a valuable NFL player with potential to be a star.

I'm all for taking a risky player once in a while if there is upside. And there is definitely upside if the guy can run sub 4.4 and is 6'4 -- but my philosophy is never pay full price for that risk, you want to look for discounts. If you were taking him in Rd 2 that's "full price" for a guy who hasn't played and is a character concern.

I don't think the bills will offer at Gordon based on Nix's track record, but I certainly see why this guy is being talked about as a 2nd or 3rd round pick.The natural comparison for him is Stephen Hill in my mind, whom a lot of Bills fans were hoping we might target in round 2 or 3. Both sound like incredible athlete's both had limited tape as a WR. Hill performed very well at the combine, so we'll have to see what Gordon does at his pro day and Gordon is further discounted due to "Character" concerns and having sat out a year.

I could maybe be talked into bidding a 3rd round pick on him. I can only go by the media reports on T.J. Graham and Marcus Easely (which sound generally positive), but if our scouts and G.M. think Gordon willbe a better pro than than either Graham or Easely you need to consider placing a high bid for this guy.

Solid post. Post more often.

Buddy must see something interesting. or his summer vacation is especially boring.

I would also consider as an answer, none of the bottom half of our receivers is stepping up to impress

I thought I heard the Dolphins are also gonna be there.

Could Nix and Company be pushing some buttons here as well as keeping their evaluation skills sharp?

Solid post. Post more often.

Could Nix and Company be pushing some buttons here as well as keeping their evaluation skills sharp?

I have no doubt that Nix is a politician of sorts. Miami is in dire need of WRs i read.

Nix push buttons? naaah, not wily ole Buddy.

No worries. I would be shocked if the Bills would go higher than 4th or 5th on him, and the Browns will snabble him in the 2nd or 3rd.

4th or 5th is what I was hearing is Gordon's value, but someone (San Diego? St. Louis? Carolina?) will outbid the Bills, paying too much for too little.

4th or 5th is what I was hearing is Gordon's value, but someone (San Diego? St. Louis? Carolina?) will outbid the Bills, paying too much for too little.

Again, Miami is expected to attend this workout and is very wide receiver poor. I think Cleveland is in the same boat so there's two more possibilities.

However if Gordon has a killer workout, things could get interesting.

Granted I've never seen the guy play, but every article I read about him makes me scratch my head as to why he is a "prospect" at all. So the guy basically played one year of college, and posted mediocre stats with one of the best college QB's of all time. Then transferred only to not play because of drug issues. Scouts list him as "raw", and a "poor route runner", and by the time the season starts it will have been almost 2 years since he played competitive ball.

Yeah, sounds like a winner to me. I honestly don't see how he is worth ANY draft pick, let alone a 2nd. Maybe worth a risking a 5th/6th, but I just don't see how he would be worth the risk.

Even if this kid runs a 4.2 40, it doesn't make him a good receiver. This is also a guy unlikely to make much of an impact as a rookie. Combine him with Graham, who also will probably struggle to contribute as a rookie and that would mean we end up cutting guys like Hagan. That would leave us very short on guys who CAN contribute this year. This would be a step back for the immediate future.

This situation kind of reminds me of Maurice Clarett, and we all know how well that worked out.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

Granted I've never seen the guy play, but every article I read about him makes me scratch my head as to why he is a "prospect" at all. So the guy basically played one year of college, and posted mediocre stats with one of the best college QB's of all time. Then transferred only to not play because of drug issues. Scouts list him as "raw", and a "poor route runner", and by the time the season starts it will have been almost 2 years since he played competitive ball.

Yeah, sounds like a winner to me. I honestly don't see how he is worth ANY draft pick, let alone a 2nd. Maybe worth a risking a 5th/6th, but I just don't see how he would be worth the risk.

Even if this kid runs a 4.2 40, it doesn't make him a good receiver. This is also a guy unlikely to make much of an impact as a rookie. Combine him with Graham, who also will probably struggle to contribute as a rookie and that would mean we end up cutting guys like Hagan. That would leave us very short on guys who CAN contribute this year. This would be a step back for the immediate future.

This situation kind of reminds me of Maurice Clarett, and we all know how well that worked out.

Again, it's about putting a price tag (draft pick) on the guy as well as taking an opportunity to evaluate a player and compare notes.

Forty-two receptions for 7 TDs and an 17.0 yards per reception are very good numbers for a sophomore receiver. This kid might be gifted in the same way that Jets 2nd rounder Stephen Hill is… that is 6'4" and 220 pounds and possibly pretty fast.

Gotta do the due diligence… there's nothing to lose by evaluating this player.

Hypothetical: What if the Bills interview him and are convinced that he's turned things around… and that he runs a 4.36 forty and has an excellent workout?

Let's let the facts come to us instead of jumping to conclusions (see Adrian Peterson thread).

Again, it's about putting a price tag (draft pick) on the guy as well as taking an opportunity to evaluate a player and compare notes.

Forty-two receptions for 7 TDs and an 17.0 yards per reception are very good numbers for a sophomore receiver. This kid might be gifted in the same way that Jets 2nd rounder Stephen Hill is… that is 6'4" and 220 pounds and possibly pretty fast.

Gotta do the due diligence… there's nothing to lose by evaluating this player.

Hypothetical: What if the Bills interview him and are convinced that he's turned things around… and that he runs a 4.36 forty and has an excellent workout?

Let's let the facts come to us instead of jumping to conclusions (see Adrian Peterson thread).

I never said we shouldn't evaluate the player, and started my post by admitting I had never seen the guy play.

I am merely commenting on what has been reported about the guy. A one year sophomore receiver with decent, not spectacular numbers even though he was playing with one of the best college QB's of all time. A guy described as being a poor route runner. He is getting hype for his potential, due to good measurables. I'm not jumping to any conclusions, just offering my opinion on the information available. Height and 40 times alone don't make a good receiver, we have seen many 6-4+ guys bomb out over the last 4 years or so, including our own high 2nd rnd pick.

Perhaps the scouts see something watching the guy play that can't be easily explained in scouting reports, who knows.

This guy IMO seems like a long shot, and probably isn't worth the risk of a mid/high round pick.

For the record I didn't like Hill in the 2nd either, big risk/reward guy. I'm not a big gambler. Even so his body of work was more impressive IMO, playing in what was mostly a run first, short passing game, with a virtually unknown QB.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

When you are good at your job, like Nix and Gailey seem to be, you go to these things on days like July 10 to watch, in person, a player with obvious NFL size and talent and see what he looks like.

It's called "looking at every way to improve your team."

It's their responsibility to show up for this thing and evaluate the kid themselves, and talk to him themselves, and then decide if a 2nd, or 3rd, or 4th, or 5th, or 6th, or 7th round pick is worth it to them. It says zero about their belief in the players themselves, and it says zero about what they truly believe about what truly happened with this kid. It says they are smart guys at their jobs for looking everywhere to improve this team.

I doubt very much if he goes in the second round. The supplemental draft every year seems like there are guys rumored to go in the 2-7th round that never get chosen at all. I think he will be chosen. If I had to guess, it would be a 4th. In fact, if you're a fan of the Bills you should hope that he gets chosen, because that means Nix and Gailey LOVE this guy and think he is a good shot at becoming a valuable NFL player with potential to be a star.

Well said. With what little I know of him, I wouldn't take him before the 5th.

Exactly, if you can bluff someone like the Dolphins into bidding a 2nd or 3rd when they could have really had the guy for a 5th or 6th that's a win that pays off next April. Especially if you aren't really interested in the guy at all.

Why not take a chance on this guy? I've seen enough from Roosevelt, Jones, and unfortunately not enough of Easley to say that we don't have a legit number 2 WR. Hopefully Graham will fill that void, but if not, why not bring in another body that can help the passing game?

When I look at next year's crop of WR's, I don't really see a legit star worth a 1st and 2nd rounder and we are in need of another WR with a different skill set. Robert Woods is the only name that really jumps off the page and sorry but I just don't trust USC WRs anymore. Mike Williams, Steve Smith, Patrick Turner, Keyshawn Johnson, Damian Williams, Dwayne Jarrett, and the long list of USC WR disappointments go on and on...

If Nix and Gailey like what they see in him, why not take him in the 3rd? The way I see it, we aren't that many pieces away from becoming a legit postseason contender.