Brad Smith listed as QB

nucci

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-2/QB-is-Brad-Smiths-chief-title-now/f9b4a250-9a4d-4833-ae08-8a59c9bc6168

If he is practicing only as a QB he may not make the team. He's not that great a receiver or QB and there might not be room for him on final roster.

If you watch his interview on BB.com, Brad stated he is primarily practicing as a QB.

Actually, this makes a lot of sense. He will most likely make the team for his Special Teams contributions. Last year, when in the "wildcat" everyone knew he was going to run. If he is really a threat to pass from the "wildcat" formation it should be much harder to defend.

two words: slash

you only see one word but its actually there twice because its a legitimate double threat

i think it was the second day after chan was hired that he said hed like to find his next slash. its taken into his third season but its obvious he feels hes finally ready to unleash one

last half of last season smith was in all the wr meetings because they needed to give him a crash course in getting better at that spot. now they have him playing exclusively at qb to get him max prepared to actually run a real passing wildcat. he probably wont play a lick of real wr this season so theres no need to waste prep effort there, and he doesnt need practice on how to run, so its all qb all the time

the wc has run its course for everything except short yardage using rbs as the ball handler. now chanlee is going to reinvent the formation to incorporate real passing threats and force the defense back away from the los. cant wait to see it unveiled

Considering that coaches still talk about his excellent talents elsewhere, I think they are doing this to simply round him out better. We already know he's a decent WR in a pinch, and a good special teams player. They want to utilize him for something else, meaning focusing early on that to get that skill up to par.

I predict we'll have Fitz, Young and Smith as our three QBs and Thigpen will be elsewhere by the start of the season.

you only see one word but its actually there twice because its a legitimate double threat

i think it was the second day after chan was hired that he said hed like to find his next slash. its taken into his third season but its obvious he feels hes finally ready to unleash one

last half of last season smith was in all the wr meetings because they needed to give him a crash course in getting better at that spot. now they have him playing exclusively at qb to get him max prepared to actually run a real passing wildcat. he probably wont play a lick of real wr this season so theres no need to waste prep effort there, and he doesnt need practice on how to run, so its all qb all the time

the wc has run its course for everything except short yardage using rbs as the ball handler. now chanlee is going to reinvent the formation to incorporate real passing threats and force the defense back away from the los. cant wait to see it unveiled

if brad smith becomes a legit passing threat, it almost becomes more of a spread option than "wildcat" - which is an interesting possibility.

If you want a slash threat, why not use Vince Young? I'll grant that I haven't heard much about Young being used at receiver. But he's a much better quarterback than Brad Smith. Also Vince Young is one of the fastest and most mobile QBs in the league.

Vince Young is going to make the final roster anyway, so using him as a slash option saves a roster spot. A roster spot which could be used on a young, developmental prospect such as Corp or Tanney. I also suspect that Corp or Tanney could do a better job of quarterbacking the Bills, if both Fitz and Young went down, than Brad Smith could do.

If you want a slash threat, why not use Vince Young? I'll grant that I haven't heard much about Young being used at receiver. But he's a much better quarterback than Brad Smith. Also Vince Young is one of the fastest and most mobile QBs in the league.

Vince Young is going to make the final roster anyway, so using him as a slash option saves a roster spot. A roster spot which could be used on a young, developmental prospect such as Corp or Tanney. I also suspect that Corp or Tanney could do a better job of quarterbacking the Bills, if both Fitz and Young went down, than Brad Smith could do.

corp or tanney? really?

Brad Smith listed as QB sucks. The Wildcat sucks. Thigpen is a better QB than Smith is, it isn't even close. They both suck, but between the two Thigpen is better. I hope the Bills don't run wildcat very much.

Question: Will both Vince Young and Thigpen make the roster? I am thinking Brad most likely becomes our 3rd QB, which makes a TON of sense since it's almost like getting an extra roster spot. Think about it, most teams carry 3 QB's and the 3rd does nothing all year. Now we have a 3rd QB, who is also a WR, Special Teamer and will play and run the wildcat. I say Win-Win.

<....And come on' Are you really gonna be mad if Thigpen isn't our 3rd string QB? >

Edited by Cville Bills

Plus if the Bills were to cut Smith the Jets would probably pick him back up off the waiver wire.

This is really nothing new or nothing shocking. He was brought in as the 3rd QB to take advantage of the rule change last season for a "Wildcat/3rd QB". He was listed as a QB last season too until the WR's started dropping like flies and they needed some more receivers, thats when Smith moved over to practicing as a WR.

He amy not be as good of a Qb as Young or Thigpen, but eh provides more to the team then either of them cause in emergency situations he can move to WR and can play Special teams too. Thats why he ends up as the 3rd QB, a position that the league now allows the player to come in and out in place of the starter, without having to permanently remove teh starter (If Fitz gets pulled for Young, Fitz can't come back in after a couple of plays. If Fitz is taken out for Smith, Smith can run a couple of plays and be taken out again to put Fitz back in)

This is the reason why they brought Smith in, and the reason he did not do as great as they hoped he would have last year was because he missed a big chunk of the offseason due to the strike (didn't get a full season with the offence) and he had to sit for a few practices because he was a newly signed player.

He isn't going anywhere, the only QB competition on the team is between Young and Thigpen. Winner gets the #2 job, loser moves on to find somewhere else to play. Theres no need to keep Thigpen around and waste the spot of the #3 QB (a position they want to maximise with the new rule) unless you think he can run a wildcat type formation better then Smith. He isn't anything special that IF both Fitz and Young go down to injury, you can't pick up someone about as good during the season. If they want a developmental guy like Corp or Tanney (whos now in KC), they will use a Practice Squad spot for one of them and not waste a roster spot. At the moment, Young is their "Developmental QB". If he works out, its possible he could earn a chance to take the spot away from Fitz

Because Smith is a better Special Teamer and WR then Young, and then Young would have to be listed as the #3 QB on the roster to be able to run the wildcat in game without having to take Fitz out. Is Thigpen really that specialt that he needs to be kept cause you wouldn't want to risk losing him to another team, and his QB skills are so much better then Smiths that the outweigh his ability to play Special teams and WR?

The entire discussion on Smith seems more like Fans are just trying to prep for their new whipping boy to eventually replace Chris "Can't do anything right" Kelsay

This is really nothing new or nothing shocking. He was brought in as the 3rd QB to take advantage of the rule change last season for a "Wildcat/3rd QB". He was listed as a QB last season too until the WR's started dropping like flies and they needed some more receivers, thats when Smith moved over to practicing as a WR.

He amy not be as good of a Qb as Young or Thigpen, but eh provides more to the team then either of them cause in emergency situations he can move to WR and can play Special teams too. Thats why he ends up as the 3rd QB, a position that the league now allows the player to come in and out in place of the starter, without having to permanently remove teh starter (If Fitz gets pulled for Young, Fitz can't come back in after a couple of plays. If Fitz is taken out for Smith, Smith can run a couple of plays and be taken out again to put Fitz back in)

This is the reason why they brought Smith in, and the reason he did not do as great as they hoped he would have last year was because he missed a big chunk of the offseason due to the strike (didn't get a full season with the offence) and he had to sit for a few practices because he was a newly signed player.

He isn't going anywhere, the only QB competition on the team is between Young and Thigpen. Winner gets the #2 job, loser moves on to find somewhere else to play. Theres no need to keep Thigpen around and waste the spot of the #3 QB (a position they want to maximise with the new rule) unless you think he can run a wildcat type formation better then Smith. He isn't anything special that IF both Fitz and Young go down to injury, you can't pick up someone about as good during the season. If they want a developmental guy like Corp or Tanney (whos now in KC), they will use a Practice Squad spot for one of them and not waste a roster spot. At the moment, Young is their "Developmental QB". If he works out, its possible he could earn a chance to take the spot away from Fitz

Because Smith is a better Special Teamer and WR then Young, and then Young would have to be listed as the #3 QB on the roster to be able to run the wildcat in game without having to take Fitz out. Is Thigpen really that specialt that he needs to be kept cause you wouldn't want to risk losing him to another team, and his QB skills are so much better then Smiths that the outweigh his ability to play Special teams and WR?

The entire discussion on Smith seems more like Fans are just trying to prep for their new whipping boy to eventually replace Chris "Can't do anything right" Kelsay

Thank you.

It must be hard work constantly setting the record straight.

Can't way for the 13th. "Merriman is listed as DE" thread.

I have been thinking the same thing since they signed Young. He gives you way more options in the wildcat. However Smith's versatility may get him a roster spot.

I think Tanney already signed somewhere.

I'm thinking they showcase Smith and Young @ QB in the pre-season. Smith makes a good showing in pre-season and sometime early next season some team needs a QB due to injury, etc. The Bills have three of 'em and can broker a good trade with Smith. Not saying Smith can't help the Bills somehow but having your 3rd string QB look good in pre-season might help us differently.

I'm thinking they showcase Smith and Young @ QB in the pre-season. Smith makes a good showing in pre-season and sometime early next season some team needs a QB due to injury, etc. The Bills have three of 'em and can broker a good trade with Smith. Not saying Smith can't help the Bills somehow but having your 3rd string QB look good in pre-season might help us differently.

Given he couldnt subplant thigpen and they never threw with him in wildcat, I can't imagine there is anything to showcase.

two huge reasons why you dont just plug vy in as wc qb:

1). hes never done it before. you might say he did some thing like it in college, and that he already has shown that he can run. but those are not direct correlations to everything he needs to know and do at this level to make it work. you would be close to starting from scratch with him when you already have a relatively seasoned wc guy already on the roster

d). vy is trying to win the backup qb job. he has plenty on his plate already trying to learn a new offense and overcome a pattern of poor defensive reading skills. its a challenge for him to win that job in the first place, and even if he does win it he needs every rep he can get in the offense to become reliable enough to win games for you if/when he gets the chance to play. the last thing you want is to confuse his limited brainiacal (its a word) powers by learning TWO positions and roles

green). brad smith was acquired and being paid relatively steep bucks to take advantage of the new third qb rule. if you dont invest every single available rep getting him ready to exploit that rule then you are dramatically wasting efficiency with TWO players now. and youre wasting money and a developmental roster spot on a guy youre pretty much forced to keep despite being what would be a seldom used utility player

no, from every logical angle it is FAR smarter to just let vy get ready to try and win his main job and let smith get maximally ready for his specialty job

Question: Will both Vince Young and Thigpen make the roster. I am thinking Brad most likely becomes our 3rd QB, which makes a TON of sense since it's almost like getting an extra roster spot. Think about it, most teams carry 3 QB's and the 3rd does nothing all year. Now we have a 3rd QB, who is also a WR, Special Teamer and will play and run the wildcat. I say Win-Win.

<....And come on' Are you really gonna be mad if Thigpen isn't our 3rd string QB? >

I don't care of a 3rd QB does nothing, Why not get a developmental QB? It is only the most important position on the field, and the Bills clearly do not have the answer at QB right now.

Smith is the most overpaid player on the Bills and should be cut, anyway. It is far from win-win to ever play the 3rd QB anyway, and have a bad starting QB and no one looking towards he future. Smith has no speed at all on the field, his KR last year were terrible, he gets no separation as a WR either.

IF vy wins the backup job then maybe next season you can have him learn chan lees new spread wildcat, but for now vince needs to get ready to beat out pigpen and then win us some games when we need him to

since i have once again definitively answered every question on this issue, what do you say we go get some gelato eh

The wildcat:

The opportunity to remove your starting QB for the 3rd string QB and have him not hand off to the starting RB. Brilliant! :wallbash:

But can you imagine Darius running the wildcat on 3d and 1?!? OMG, they could never stop him, it would be so AWESOME!!!!

no let jasper run it. hes too big to be the refrigerator, hes even bigger than the house, so lets just call him the projects

What would handing the ball off to Jasper make him, a ball carrier? How about an aircraft carrier?

Edited by rickenbru

this can't be good, ESPN's James Walker thinks it's a bad idea

If anything, the Bills should be getting Smith as much work as possible at wide receiver. That is where he is most needed. Buffalo has no one who is proven at the position besides Steve Johnson. Smith should join receivers Donald Jones, Marcus Easley and rookie third-rounder T.J. Graham to add depth and competition at the position.

Smith had 23 receptions for the Bills last year. With more reps and coaching, perhaps those numbers could improve. The Bills need all the production they can get at wide receiver.

<_<

this can't be good, ESPN's James Walker thinks it's a bad idea

Walker doesn't get it. The Bills don't want to use Brad as a WR; they were forced into it last season with all the injuries at the position. Giving Brad full-time work with the QBs means he gets more coaching from Lee (wildcat architect), and this only makes him more versatile and valuable to the Bills, not less.

I don't care of a 3rd QB does nothing, Why not get a developmental QB? It is only the most important position on the field, and the Bills clearly do not have the answer at QB right now.

Smith is the most overpaid player on the Bills and should be cut, anyway. It is far from win-win to ever play the 3rd QB anyway, and have a bad starting QB and no one looking towards he future. Smith has no speed at all on the field, his KR last year were terrible, he gets no separation as a WR either.

Because they can still get a developmental QB to develop on the Practice Squad, where you want guys who need to be developed, not wasting a roster spot and taking away a player who can play 3 positions (QB, WR, Special Teams). You can find some kid who did well at a lower level college program who might have some potential and sign them to the practice squad, very rarely do these guys actually end up your starting QB of the future. So on your active gameday roster you can have some unknown college QB taking up the 3rd QB spot, or a guy who can play 3 positions and take advantage of a rule to run your wildcat. Obviously the smart coaching move would be to use the 3rd QB spot for the next Shane Matthews, Levi Brown, Gibran Hamden, etc. You can't get enough good clipboard holders, way harder to find then depth at other positions.........

Walker doesn't get it. The Bills don't want to use Brad as a WR; they were forced into it last season with all the injuries at the position. Giving Brad full-time work with the QBs means he gets more coaching from Lee (wildcat architect), and this only makes him more versatile and valuable to the Bills, not less.

Exactly, they see his ability of being able to play the position as extra depth just in case another rash of injuries happens again over the season. What make him valuable is his ability to play more then one position, and thats why he will stick around and its also why they want to take advantage of the 3rd QB rule. You can keep that spot open for a clipboard holder in the rare case both your QB's get hurt in a single game, or you can take a guy who has experience playing QB/WR/ST and running a wildcat offence, and take advantage of a new rule that could help you maybe win some more games.

I can see it now... 4th quarter... 6 seconds left... 20 yards to score... Vince young lines up at wildcat, Fitz at wr and so is brad Smith... VY hikes the ball, Fitzpatrick runs an end around and VY tosses the ball backwards to Fitz... Fitz throws the ball into the endzone... Touchdown Brad Smith...

A developmental QB (or any positioon) on the practice squad can be stolen by any other team in the NFL. You really want to risk that for a guy you are trying to develop? If you really liked the QB you will not leave him on the practice squad.

Using that rationale, no team should ever keep any players they like on the PS. Sounds like a good plan. Come on man, wake up.

Using that rationale, no team should ever keep any players they like on the PS. Sounds like a good plan. Come on man, wake up.

More foolish talk here. So you think all positions in football are equal? Wow, that is what you are saying. You wake up man. You are abviously not up to date on what year it is and how important QB is.

two huge reasons why you dont just plug vy in as wc qb:

1). hes never done it before. you might say he did some thing like it in college, and that he already has shown that he can run. but those are not direct correlations to everything he needs to know and do at this level to make it work. you would be close to starting from scratch with him when you already have a relatively seasoned wc guy already on the roster

d). vy is trying to win the backup qb job. he has plenty on his plate already trying to learn a new offense and overcome a pattern of poor defensive reading skills. its a challenge for him to win that job in the first place, and even if he does win it he needs every rep he can get in the offense to become reliable enough to win games for you if/when he gets the chance to play. the last thing you want is to confuse his limited brainiacal (its a word) powers by learning TWO positions and roles

green). brad smith was acquired and being paid relatively steep bucks to take advantage of the new third qb rule. if you dont invest every single available rep getting him ready to exploit that rule then you are dramatically wasting efficiency with TWO players now. and youre wasting money and a developmental roster spot on a guy youre pretty much forced to keep despite being what would be a seldom used utility player

no, from every logical angle it is FAR smarter to just let vy get ready to try and win his main job and let smith get maximally ready for his specialty job

Bills are not taking advantage of the rule IMO. Taking advantage of the rule is actually having a 3rd QB on your roster. Bills are using a guy who can play QB as the 3rd QB and have an extra position player who is mediocre at everything he does. You were still allowed to use a 3rd real before, just that if you did then the other two could no longer play in the game.

Vince Young is the development QB.