Brad Smith listed as QB

nucci

More foolish talk here. So you think all positions in football are equal? Wow, that is what you are saying. You wake up man. You are abviously not up to date on what year it is and how important QB is.

The PS is for players not yet ready for primetime. How many NFL teams do you believe have the luxury of keeping such players -- QBs or otherwise -- on their active rosters? The answer is zero.

Similarly, there's so much information available on all players and prospects these days that it's just not feasible to think you can "hide" somebody on the PS. Guys are on the PS to try and learn the game at the NFL level, and generally speaking, the best chance they'll ever have to make it will be with the team who put them there.

The PS is for players not yet ready for primetime. How many NFL teams do you believe have the luxury of keeping such players -- QBs or otherwise -- on their active rosters? The answer is zero.

Similarly, there's so much information available on all players and prospects these days that it's just not feasible to think you can "hide" somebody on the PS. Guys are on the PS to try and learn the game at the NFL level, and generally speaking, the best chance they'll ever have to make it will be with the team who put them there.

Not really, there are players poached from active rosters that actually play weekly. Watch and see what happens if Greg Mcillroy from the Jets gets placed on the Practice Squad. He would immediately be placed on the active roster by another team as the 3rd QB. If a QB is that good you like him, you do not and cannot afford to PS him. The one's that are on the PS are absolute long shots at this point.

Bills are not taking advantage of the rule IMO. Taking advantage of the rule is actually having a 3rd QB on your roster. Bills are using a guy who can play QB as the 3rd QB and have an extra position player who is mediocre at everything he does. You were still allowed to use a 3rd real before, just that if you did then the other two could no longer play in the game.

the bills are the textbook on taking advantage of the change. the change only allowed a guy on the field without ruling out the other two - on the opening kick when they trot smith out to receive it, they have officially taken advantage of it.

Not really, there are players poached from active rosters that actually play weekly. Watch and see what happens if Greg Mcillroy from the Jets gets placed on the Practice Squad. He would immediately be placed on the active roster by another team as the 3rd QB. If a QB is that good you like him, you do not and cannot afford to PS him. The one's that are on the PS are absolute long shots at this point.

Seems you're arguing a silly point. I would agree if a QB is "that good" then it seems the PS would not be the place to put him.

Guys please, the slash thing has been over for 18 years. -That's a lifetime in some circumstances. People have got to stop letting Chan's unbelievable luck with Kordell Stewart be such a huge part of his legacy.

Even if we ignored the fact that Modern defenses have adapted to neutralize any kind of "slash" threat, there's still too great of a risk of injury involved in re-living this long-dead dream.

Come up with something new Chan. Be the inovator, and "guru" your loyal followers claim you are. I'm waiting with baited breath for you to show us non-believers your "genius"

However with quotes like this one, I seriously doubt it.

“The skill set always intrigues me,” Gailey said. “The more skill they have, the better coach I am.”

Um... Duh.

Seems you're arguing a silly point. I would agree if a QB is "that good" then it seems the PS would not be the place to put him.

Teams do not expose their developmental QBs to the PS. You just are not smart enough to understand the difference, that is all. I feel bad for you for not understanding, has to be hard when it comes to other things. You think TJ Yates was ready for prime time last year? Not sure, but he never got exposed to the PS. Just like the Jets will not do that to Greg McElroy. You think Terrelle Pryor is ready for prime time? Doubtful but the Raiders cannot take a chance and practice squad him, he joined the active roster when he served his suspension. None of those guys were "that good".

The rule to give the 3rd QB is to truly have a developmental QB on your roster.

you will never see a qb on the bills practice squad for more than a few days

chan has said specifically that the fourth qb gets no reps at all during the regular season unless somebody ahead of him cant practice. qb1&2 get all the game plan reps and qb3 runs the scout team. thus its a waste of space to carry a ps qb. the only time chan put a qb on the ps it was levi brown for literally a few days until they found somebody they wanted to develop then they cut brown

so just forget about that idea 4eva

the bills are the textbook on taking advantage of the change. the change only allowed a guy on the field without ruling out the other two - on the opening kick when they trot smith out to receive it, they have officially taken advantage of it.

Technically I guess your correct. But having Smith take a knee in the end zone is really not an advantage. I don't know if he ran a single kick out of there last year. Man, I hope he gets cut. What a waste of millions per year. Reminds of a certain former lights out guy. Can management admit to making a mistake like every organization does from time to time? And just cut and move on?

Teams do not expose their developmental QBs to the PS. You just are not smart enough to understand the difference, that is all. I feel bad for you for not understanding, has to be hard when it comes to other things. You think TJ Yates was ready for prime time last year? Not sure, but he never got exposed to the PS. Just like the Jets will not do that to Greg McElroy. You think Terrelle Pryor is ready for prime time? Doubtful but the Raiders cannot take a chance and practice squad him, he joined the active roster when he served his suspension. None of those guys were "that good".

The rule to give the 3rd QB is to truly have a developmental QB on your roster.

Really? Going that route? Pathetic -- just like your football knowledge. The Jets put McElroy on IR last season (his rookie year), Yates was a 5th round draft pick, and Pryor was a 3rd rounder. The types of QBs you see on PS around the league are generally UDFAs, genius -- not draft picks.

Anyway, this discussion bores me so I'm exiting the thread. Enjoy the roller coaster ride. Can't wait to read your next insightful post about why Fitz sucks.

I don't know what all the teeth gnashing is for. The depth chart (barring injury) WILL look like this come september:

1)Fitzy

2)the winner of Young/Thigpen

3)Brad Smith

There will be no "developmental" QB on the PS either. Chan has flat out said that keeping a QB on the practice squad is essentially worthless because they don't receive any reps. Fitzy goes with the #1's, and B. Smith runs the scout team.

If there is any "developmental" QB that we keep, it'll be Vince Young.