Recommend a good stand-up comedian to watch

Just Jack

Another vote for Bill Engvall, Ron White, and Jeff Dunham

And if you ever get the opportunity to see Kathy Griffin, don't. I had the misfortune once. I wanted to jump on stage, smack her upside the head, and tell her those Sarah Palin jokes were marginally funny in 2008. It's time to write some new material

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doug Stanhope and Norm MacDonald have both been mentioned and both are/were on Netflix w/ pretty good specials.

I'm surprised no one mentioned Bo Burnham. The kid is phenomenal. He's got an act called "Words, Words, Words" on Netflix right now that everyone should see.

Of course, I thought Dane Cook's first HBO special was pretty funny, even if he does come off like he's trying really hard to get himself laid after the show.

Cook wasn't mentioned because this is comedians thread.

I know a girl who works in The Laugh Factory on Sunset Blvd, which is one of the three main comedy clubs in LA. I go watch comics once in a while there and they usually have the best of the best. It's Dane Cook's home club for the most part and he shows up often. What's great about the LA clubs is you get to see the best comics working on their material. They are trying it out in public for the 1st or 2nd time and trying to hone the bits. It's kind of cool to see them struggling. I went a couple weeks ago. It was a really good show. Chris Rock's brother who was funny. Nick Kroll from The League who was pretty good. The guy who was co-creator of The Dave Chappell show who was decent ( a white guy amazingly). Another guy who was better than them all I never heard of who told one story for his entire act that was very good.

And Dane Cook of course showed up to try out stuff. I am not a big Dane Cook fan at all. I don't get it, and I don't know many people who like him, so i don't see how he is so popular but he is. His entire set was making fun of himself about the perception that all he is in this for is to get laid. It was actually fairly clever, and there were a couple good moments, but it wasn't great. I liked the idea of him realizing he is always all about me and making fun of it but it still came off as all about me. Not a bad effort though, and funnier than I normally found him. He seemed like he actually understood why people make fun of him for being like that and was trying to make it into his act, it just fell short of being inspired comedy, something he is probably not capable of.

Dane Cook doesn't swear much in his act, but watching only a couple minutes of it will have you swearing back at it and yourself as you wonder why the F**K did I waste precious moments watching this?

I second Lewis Black, saw him at Sheas a few years ago and i have always been a fan (except for the show he did recently where he judged 2 comedians debating a topic). Not everyones cup of tea, usually becuase its alot of rants that get him angry and yelling.

I would have to say there are very few decent female standup comics out there, but I think its because most of them just rely on relationship humor and "woman issues" to make guys uncomfortable. Theres a few that are decent that mostly try to stay away from that stuff.

And Dev/Nul, I don't think anyone would voluntarily go to see a Kathy Griffin Standup show, unless it was to throw a brick at her while she was on stage

Bill Burr. Haven't seen him mentioned yet, and one of my faves.

I also cannot comprehend the love for Dane Cook. His style can best be described as observational humor where he points out the foibles in things that have never happened in the history of mankind. I can safely say that I don't know what face a girl makes when shes lying to you and drinking kool-aid, Dane, so anything that follows will be completely un-relatable. And just when you think there's going to be a punchline, you get spastic sound effects and a flailing of limbs, which are just as good as jokes apparently. He can claim to have the longest nazi atheist sneeze reincarnation joke ever told, and for that he is the biggest hack of all time.

I'll also second Nick Kroll and Patton Oswald. I'll even second Dennis Miller as a liberal.

Another I'll add is Brian Posehn, he has a good self-depricating style. I'll also mention the late Greg Giraldo, he was a great standup.