Recommend a good stand-up comedian to watch

Just Jack

While he does incorporate swearing into his act, he does not use it as a crutch for cheap laughs.

Not to single out your post, but can anyone think of anyone that actually does this? I know it's something that people who have a problem with swearing love to bring up, but to me you're either funny or you're not and how you talk is just what you're comfortable. Personally I don't understand why an adult would have a problem listening to another adult swear, but I know there are plenty of people out there that make a big deal about it.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Demitri Martin is reeeeeaaaaaaally funny annoying, without being crude or funny...

Fixed it for you Buf. ;}

Probably aren't any of his routines on youtube, but one of the funniest, clean comedians of all time is Bob Newhart. 'The Button Down Mind' and 'The Button Down Mind Strikes Again' are pure gold. (Never got to see him live, but if he ever comes to upstate before he kicks off, I'm there.)

A few others that were fun to see in person (that haven't already been mentioned) were Jay Leno, Eddie Murphy, and Rita Rudner (she opened for Dennis Miller). Though Eddie's comedy isn't 'clean.'

(Again, sticking with people that haven't already been mentioned) On Sirius, Carl Hurley is usually clean and funny. James P. Connolly and the Commedian Bob Marley have some clean funny material as well. David Cross is funny as well. Several that have already been mentioned are hilarious (Mitch Hedberg, Brian Regan, Chris Rock, John Caparulo, Dennis Miller, and Steven Wright (you can never go wrong with Wright)), though except for Wright they can definitely have some blue material.

Not to single out your post, but can anyone think of anyone that actually does this? I know it's something that people who have a problem with swearing love to bring up, but to me you're either funny or you're not and how you talk is just what you're comfortable. Personally I don't understand why an adult would have a problem listening to another adult swear, but I know there are plenty of people out there that make a big deal about it.

:thumbsup: Agreed!

Saw Rodney Dangerfield in the late 90s at the MGM Grand. Just a little dirtier than TV (a few F's and more sexual jokes, but was not bad). Went for 40 minutes nonstop (not even for a drink of water), played a few clips from his movies (about 20 minutes) and did another 30 minutes non-stop. That sweating was real.

Edited by Wacka

I'm surprised Nick Swardson hasn't been mentioned.

I would go with Brian Regan or Mitch Hedberg (two different directions there)

I love Aziz Ansari as well, but that may be another that may not translate well to older people.

They arent my favorite comics necessarily but if you want to see some great classic one hour stand up routines, the first HBO special of Steven Wright is priceless, and the first one hour special (I think) of Dennis Miller called Mr. Miller Goes to Washington (and I'm a liberal) is simply brilliant.

I came on to post that Netflix is streaming a more recent Steven Wright Special from 2007. Doesn't touch the original (my favorite stand-up show every), but it was solid.

Bob saget does this. He plays on the shock value of everyone associating him with full house and has some of the dirtiest material..... And it's not funny at all.

As for standup that's dirty but hilarious Eddie Murphy's raw and delirious are 1 of the best stand ups I agave ever seen. Raw is better buth they both are good in their own right. Also Damon wayans stand up is hilarious too.

Edited by section122

I should probably explain....

I've been to a couple local comedy clubs and it seems two out of the three acts always fall into two catagories.

1) The High School bully - the comedian that simply goes around the room asking what people do for work and then makes fun of it

2) The swearer - the comedian that has to use a swear word every other word in order to get cheap laughs

So I prefer the comedians that can tell a story to get laughs. It's okay to swear once in a while, but not use it as a crutch to your act. I do like Richard Pryor, Eddie Murphy, etc. But think of their acts, they told stories that got laughs.

So anyways, I ended up watching Bill Engvall while I waited to see what some of the replies were. I then noticed there was a Stella (Michael Ian Black, Michael Showalter, and David Wain) special on Netflix. I liked the TV show so I checked it out. Turned it off after 15 minutes. The went with a Ralphie May special to finish out the night. Thanks for all the other suggestions, I'll keep them in mind for the future.

1339340167[/url]' post='2483975']

I should probably explain....

I've been to a couple local comedy clubs and it seems two out of the three acts always fall into two catagories.

1) The High School bully - the comedian that simply goes around the room asking what people do for work and then makes fun of it

2) The swearer - the comedian that has to use a swear word every other word in order to get cheap laughs

So I prefer the comedians that can tell a story to get laughs. It's okay to swear once in a while, but not use it as a crutch to your act. I do like Richard Pryor, Eddie Murphy, etc. But think of their acts, they told stories that got laughs.

So anyways, I ended up watching Bill Engvall while I waited to see what some of the replies were. I then noticed there was a Stella (Michael Ian Black, Michael Showalter, and David Wain) special on Netflix. I liked the TV show so I checked it out. Turned it off after 15 minutes. The went with a Ralphie May special to finish out the night. Thanks for all the other suggestions, I'll keep them in mind for the future.

So how many hours did you watch last night?

Fixed it for you Buf. ;}

Probably aren't any of his routines on youtube, but one of the funniest, clean comedians of all time is Bob Newhart. 'The Button Down Mind' and 'The Button Down Mind Strikes Again' are pure gold. (Never got to see him live, but if he ever comes to upstate before he kicks off, I'm there.)

A few others that were fun to see in person (that haven't already been mentioned) were Jay Leno, Eddie Murphy, and Rita Rudner (she opened for Dennis Miller). Though Eddie's comedy isn't 'clean.'

(Again, sticking with people that haven't already been mentioned) On Sirius, Carl Hurley is usually clean and funny. James P. Connolly and the Commedian Bob Marley have some clean funny material as well. David Cross is funny as well. Several that have already been mentioned are hilarious (Mitch Hedberg, Brian Regan, Chris Rock, John Caparulo, Dennis Miller, and Steven Wright (you can never go wrong with Wright)), though except for Wright they can definitely have some blue material.

I was going to echo this. Connolly has some funny stuff.

I think I found your problem.

Unless your locale is New York, LA, Chicago, or Boston anyone that has any talent won't be in the local club for long.

That's simply not true. There are tons of very good comedians who tour the small club circuit. It's probably the most competitive part of the entertainment business and isn't much different than the music industry.