UPDATE: QB Vince Young Signs With Buffalo Bills

First off, every team can benefit from having a bee in its bonnet. Remember what a utopian lovefest the clubhouse was during the Super Bowl? Let's not pretend like these guys are all best buddies, or even have to be for that matter.

Secondly, I don't believe--for one second--that this administration wouldn't do their due diligence for any personnel. If he's a problem, or even smells like a problem he a.) won't be offered the job (which, for all we know he hasn't been, yet) or b.) he'll be fired immediately for disrupting the herd.

This isn't putting a bee in your bonnet - that would imply we are bringing in someone to fire up the troops. This man is just flat out lazy. His own Tennessee teammates described his lack of work ethic as "legendary." That type of player is a cancer. Saying there is no downside is like saying there is no downside to owning a pet rattlesnake.

I am always amazed at the selective memory of some fans to completely block out the negatives, and only focus on the positives. 31-9 as a starter? The man lost his job to Trent Edwards last year lol. Nobody remembers him freaking out and throwing his equipment into the stands? Or him disappearing for weeks? Or the coach-killer label he rightfully earned?

I hope you are right about the due diligence part!

• Replies 807
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Why would you want to cut Brad Smith?

Guy can play reciver, returner, coverage units and QB in a pinch. The wildcat is underrated too. Early in the year that was our short yardage package and it worked more often than not.

I hate everything about the guy. I hate his slow, long-strided running style. I hate his 1 yard and a cloud of dust gains on the wildcat runs. I hate his lack of vision. I hate his lack of hands. I hate his inability to run routes. I hate his wobbly spirals. I hate his large, unjustified contract.

Brad Smith is not my favorite player.

That is a good point. If I recall correctly, Brad's wife is a Ph.D. Brad married well.

And Brad's wife helped to recruit Mrs. Mario Williams. Brad is the man.

Do you remember how he ran against the Bills?

I hate everything about the guy. I hate his slow, long-strided running style. I hate his 1 yard and a cloud of dust gains on the wildcat runs. I hate his lack of vision. I hate his lack of hands. I hate his inability to run routes. I hate his wobbly spirals. I hate his large, unjustified contract.

It was actually both, which was the reason that Mario was booed. Bush was the highly talented flashy choice. Young played at nearby Texas and was a Texan fan favorite coming off the National Championship win. Bush was seemingly the first choice of the fans but Young was a close second.

:thumbsup: Bills drafted Kyle Williams that year after picking Donte, McCargo, Youboty, and Ko Simpson.

Conflicted on this one.... he impressed me during his rookie campaign, he's not a complete QB but skill wise I think he is probably one of the top 45 QB's in this league and an upgrade over Thigpen. I think Chemistry is overated and because its very hard to judge becomes a catch-all explanation for why a team is struggling or having success, plus the problem can be solved rather quickly by just cutting VY if he acts out.

My downside, is it that Andy Reid can get the most out any QB. Kevin Kolb played at a pro bowl level for Reid but he looked lost in Arizona, I just wonder why the eagles left him go.

VY had a quote on leaving the iggles, "One of the biggest things there was I asked Andy, ‘could I be part of the team again?' He was like ‘I would love for you to stay here but you're not a backup quarterback' so when I heard the big guy, big red, say that it showed me more confidence and more respect that he had for me when he said he wanted to see me somewhere playing".

When I read that I was like yeh that's B.S., If Reid thought he was a starter he would hold onto him. Teams just don't give away assets

Do you remember how he ran against the Bills?

Another reason to hate him. He would kill the Bills when he was on the jets, now he kills us when he's on our own team.

In all seriousness, for the price we paid him, I expected a lot of production. Except for a few 1-yard runs, he didn't produce. The return game also suffered, until we put Justin Rogers back there returning kicks.

You have a lot more faith than I do, Dog.

He's athletic as hell, but I want to see more 'feel for the game' than I saw last year...

He has a great feel for the game. He didn't get a chance to work with the coaches and the team in all phases of what he does best. The league changed the KO rules and the Bills changed their returns and he never got a feel for how to do it last year and he looked TERRIBLE. But he led the entire league in KR the year before with a 30 yard average and is one of the better KR men in the game. I would expect him to be a lot better this year. On offense, they had to switch him to receiver and take away from what he does best. And early on in the season the offense was clicking so well that Chan didnt go to the Wildcat as much as he planned (and for good reason). This year, I expect to see a lot more of it, especially with David Lee, and I expect Chan with the entire off season to incorporate Smith into the offense a lot more. I'm positive that Chan loves Brad Smith.

This isn't putting a bee in your bonnet - that would imply we are bringing in someone to fire up the troops. This man is just flat out lazy. His own Tennessee teammates described his lack of work ethic as "legendary." That type of player is a cancer. Saying there is no downside is like saying there is no downside to owning a pet rattlesnake.

I am always amazed at the selective memory of some fans to completely block out the negatives, and only focus on the positives. 31-9 as a starter? The man lost his job to Trent Edwards last year lol. Nobody remembers him freaking out and throwing his equipment into the stands? Or him disappearing for weeks? Or the coach-killer label he rightfully earned?

I hope you are right about the due diligence part!

You are 100% correct, sir.

But a man can change. And if YOU'VE heard the rumors of his work ethic, I'm certain the ones signing the checks have too. I have faith that no checks shall be issued unless a proper evaluation of said work ethic is conducted.

If he's offered a job, I assume they will have made that judgement call in the team's best interest. What evidence is there to suggest they wouldn't?

Tell us how you really feel

Ask a jets fan how much not having Brad Smith hurt them last year. he was a big big part of their offense and a steal for us

Little more grist for the mill. Young is being brought in obviously as a back-up. But Young wants to be a starter. Chris Brown surmises maybe he changed his tune. I don't personally think the workout means he is going to be signed, I think they are just bringing him in to talk to him and work him out and judge for themselves as due diligence, and maybe he can wow them with his workout and convince them he won't be a cancer.

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2012/05/01/why-young-workout-is-interesting/

But he led the entire league in KR the year before with a 30 yard average and is one of the better KR men in the game. I would expect him to be a lot better this year.

The new kickoff rules reduce the number of chances he'll get, though, if the trend toward signing dedicated kickoff men continues to gain steam.

On offense, they had to switch him to receiver and take away from what he does best. And early on in the season the offense was clicking so well that Chan didnt go to the Wildcat as much as he planned (and for good reason). This year, I expect to see a lot more of it, especially with David Lee, and I expect Chan with the entire off season to incorporate Smith into the offense a lot more. I'm positive that Chan loves Brad Smith.

Hope you're right. The wildcat's novelty seems to be wearing off, IMO, so we'll just have to see if Chan can adjust to that...

Dear Buddy,

I have been a fan and a season ticket holder since 1987. My passion for this team has never wavered. I became a Buffalo Bills fan after years of growing up as a Giant fan. In 1987, I moved to Buffalo and needed to root for a team I thought I could more identify with. At that time Ronnie Harmon had dropped the pass that would have changed the Buffalo Bills franchise around and in spite of that I saw great things happening for the Bills so I made the commitment emotionally and financially. I am saying this with all honesty. If you sign Vince Young I will take my business else were. That is a promise.