UPDATE: QB Vince Young Signs With Buffalo Bills

Love the move. Let's see what he does with a QB friendly, non WC coach. He is definitely an upgrade over Thigpen.

Count me as one who likes this move...but also one who is also still a little mystified by the universal hate that seems to be directed at Thigpen.

Let's face it, Gailey likes athletic guys, and he loves to have gadget players at his disposal. VY falls into that category....if Fitz plays well, and doesn't get hurt, I get the feeling that Gailey will still find some way to get VY into the game, in some capacity. I don't think he would be trying to find ways to get Tyler Thigpen in to the game... this is kind of like the whole Tebow/Jets thing...two very gifted athletes, who may not have conventional QB talents, but have had a knack for winning more games than they lose.

Also, think it should be pointed out (it probably has been, but I can't read this whole thread), that the Bills offense, and Gailey, are likely as good a match VY as there is in the NFL.

Supposed to go for dinner with friends tomorrow night...I might push for "Vince Young's Steak House"! :P

• Replies 807
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Starting a new thread cuz the other one was getting some kind of hefty......

Hey Buddy Donahoe, have a chair and a sip and relax for a while, eh?

Nice! This really was a move TD would make, I love it!

I love how everyone is flipping out and saying "OMG Vince sucks. I hate the move. He could never play QB". He could never play QB? He's been to the Pro Bowl twice. He won the national championship in college football. He has a winning record!

I don't know about you, but if Ryan Fitzpatrick goes down, I don't want to put this team in the hands of Tyler Thigpen. Vince has been a starter for most of his career.

Nix is right, we have two of the top QB coaches in all of football. I just don't see why everyone's upset. He seems to be genuinely excited and is saying all the right things. I think this is a great move.

Welcome VY!

I love how everyone is flipping out and saying "OMG Vince sucks. I hate the move. He could never play QB". He could never play QB? He's been to the Pro Bowl twice. He won the national championship in college football. He has a winning record!

I don't know about you, but if Ryan Fitzpatrick goes down, I don't want to put this team in the hands of Tyler Thigpen. Vince has been a starter for most of his career.

Nix is right, we have two of the top QB coaches in all of football. I just don't see why everyone's upset. He seems to be genuinely excited and is saying all the right things. I think this is a great move.

Welcome VY!

Like you, I don't get the "VY sucks" thing at all.

We do have kick ass coaches, which is probably part of the reason VY is here. And, from our perspective...."we have the top 2 QB coaches in football, Vince. Nobody is going to listen to you if you start bitching about them". And regardless, this is Buffalo, we don't take crap from players here. Unless your name is Bruce Smith, and you've earned the right to be a bit of a douche, we'd rather cut/trade you.

Learn from the past VY, and then forget it :D Take advantage of the opportunity that's in front of you, and please, keep your mouth shut.

Edited by OCinBuffalo

Welcome VY!

I wouldn't want him starting...but I like Young as a backup. In spot work, with less pressure...yeah he could be decent. But with the mental fortitude he's exhibited...a full 16 game season riding on him, I'd be afraid he'd fold like a cheap lawn chair

Couple interesting things I thought from the interviews available now on bills.com. First, Gailey had virtually nothing to do with this. He hasn't really even watched tape of Young for a couple years. He said Nix does all the evaluations, but he liked what he saw when Young worked out in person for the Bills. Gailey knows nothing about what happened with Young on other teams and just says he's going to start working with him. He also said that if something were to happen to Fitz, they would just change the offense to work around what Young does well (which is what coaches should do).

Gailey also seemed to imply, at least to me, that Young won't be running the Wildcat, or at least they haven't really discussed it much. He made a face that said, no. But basically what he said was we don't know anything until he gets here and practices, and then we will see what he can do, and see how he can help the team. I always expected, and still do, expect that Brad Smith will run the Wildcat and it will be an integral part of our offense this year. I imagine Young will back up Smith on that, too.

What I wouldn't be surprised at is some kind of red zone package for Young to play in, that would be part Wildcat and part run/throw option. Gailey and Lee could design something that could take advantage of what Young can do well, and that is one thing he seems to do well.

Both Gailey and Nix implied that is Young was any kind of a distraction it won't last and they wouldn't tolerate it one bit, and that he knows that. That was pretty comforting. I feel a little better about this. Not that it was a horrible thing but I perceived a potential downside. The more I thought of it, that ain't gonna happen.

Couple interesting things I thought from the interviews available now on bills.com. First, Gailey had virtually nothing to do with this. He hasn't really even watched tape of Young for a couple years. He said Nix does all the evaluations, but he liked what he saw when Young worked out in person for the Bills. Gailey knows nothing about what happened with Young on other teams and just says he's going to start working with him. He also said that if something were to happen to Fitz, they would just change the offense to work around what Young does well (which is what coaches should do).

Gailey also seemed to imply, at least to me, that Young won't be running the Wildcat, or at least they haven't really discussed it much. He made a face that said, no. But basically what he said was we don't know anything until he gets here and practices, and then we will see what he can do, and see how he can help the team. I always expected, and still do, expect that Brad Smith will run the Wildcat and it will be an integral part of our offense this year. I imagine Young will back up Smith on that, too.

What I wouldn't be surprised at is some kind of red zone package for Young to play in, that would be part Wildcat and part run/throw option. Gailey and Lee could design something that could take advantage of what Young can do well, and that is one thing he seems to do well.

Both Gailey and Nix implied that is Young was any kind of a distraction it won't last and they wouldn't tolerate it one bit, and that he knows that. That was pretty comforting. I feel a little better about this. Not that it was a horrible thing but I perceived a potential downside. The more I thought of it, that ain't gonna happen.

I would hope that Gailey was at least consulted about the need to bring in competition for Thigpen.

Great move. Its only a one year deal. If he sucks or is cancer in the locker room the Bills can cut him and loose almost nothing. He is worth a shot.

And if Fitz goes down, he's a viable option at backup. There is no downside. Just people who are down on the move. There are some miserable fans out there.

Didn't he go 1-4 as a backup with Philly? Here's his career stats, and rating with Philly. My concern with VY is he is a head case. Throwing pads in the stands, throwing temper tantrums on the sideline, getting into fights in a strip club, walking out on his coach and team while the coach was talking to his team post game. His stats aren't that good. For a young, and impressionable team this goes against EVERYTHING that Nix has said he has wanted. Character guys, ability to lead, smart, none of those things have ever been used to describe VY to my knowledge.

I'm concerned to say the least.

Edited by Kevin

I would hope that Gailey was at least consulted about the need to bring in competition for Thigpen.

Oh I am sure he was. It was surprising to me that he really didnt watch any "rapid digital images" of him the last few years to throw his two cents in as to whether he thought he could do things with him. Especially during the off season. He basically said he just watched him a few years ago and knows he's pretty good.

Didn't he go 1-4 as a backup with Philly? Here's his career stats, and rating with Philly. My concern with VY is he is a head case. Throwing pads in the stands, throwing temper tantrums on the sideline, getting into fights in a strip club, walking out on his coach and team while the coach was talking to his team post game. His stats aren't that good. For a young, and impressionable team this goes against EVERYTHING that Nix has said he has wanted. Character guys, ability to lead, smart, none of those things have ever been used to describe VY to my knowledge.

I'm concerned to say the least.

We seem to have solid ties with the Eagles FO, certainly they asked how this guy has progress? He's 6 years away from all the drama, pressure and immaturity. Certainly even athletes grow up?

He's brought in to compete with Thigpen for the backup job, if he over performs he may even push Fitz; he will most certainly learn from Fitz in the leadership and smarts department, he could turn out to be a very valueable backup. Buffalo certainly seems more the kind of place where he would thrive anyway, less exposure and pressure, more about work ethic and competing for the backup jobs gives him the time to do it all in reasonable peace. If Thigpen beats VY out then he'll be out the door before with the very first cuts.

Based on the videos? I'd say they both did a lot more than imply. :D

Comforting is the right word, Kelly. I am sufficiently comforted that VY is firmly on notice. :lol: And, based on the videos, I am pretty sure every player on the team knows exactly where the line is.

However, I want to be fair: Gailey said he came in and "said all the right things". For all we know, some of those things may have been "I have no intention of being a problem here." The guy deserves the benefit of the doubt, until he doesn't.