UPDATE: QB Vince Young Signs With Buffalo Bills

Based on the videos? I'd say they both did a lot more than imply. :D

Comforting is the right word, Kelly. I am sufficiently comforted that VY is firmly on notice. :lol: And, based on the videos, I am pretty sure every player on the team knows exactly where the line is.

However, I want to be fair: Gailey said he came in and "said all the right things". For all we know, some of those things may have been "I have no intention of being a problem here." The guy deserves the benefit of the doubt, until he doesn't.

Right. I'm sure he did. The only question is, was he sincere? Has he come to the point in his career where he knows he cannot call the shots and has to wait his opportunity? Or is it just lip service because his agent and publicist told him it was the only way to get ANY job where he may eventually succeed and he needs to get off the diva act. I'm not sure anyone, including Vince Young knows the answer to that question. We'll find out. TO was the model teammate and citizen when he was here (although I never minded TO the way most people did).

• Replies 807
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I got a different concern - one year contract. That is fine for a WR or a RB or LB but not a backup QB IMO. A backup QB who replaces a backup QB with 2 years left on contract is odd thing. If he bears out Thigpen we need a new backup next year. If he does good he has most of the negotiating power, if he is bad Bills still need to get a backup integrated into the team.

I'd rather have seen a multi-year contract with a large 2nd year option. Bills would have a little more upside IMO. I have no problem with giving him a chance but hope there is clause in there if he has some sort of commotion on sideline or at practice.

I saw how Vince Young single handedly dismantled a pretty good Titans team and screwed over a great coach. If he is anything like what he was here in Nashville, our season is over before it begins.

He is nowhere near the team guy Fitz is. In terms of his physical gifts he is an order of magnitude above Fitz. But in terms of his intangibles and leadership, it ain't even close. Fitz is so much better.

All QBs struggle during the season. They need to play and work through it. Unless Fitz totally screws up this season, I hope they are patient with his shortcomings.

I just hope this doesn't turn into Flutie v Johnson II. We're so close.

I saw how Vince Young single handedly dismantled a pretty good Titans team and screwed over a great coach. If he is anything like what he was here in Nashville, our season is over before it begins.

He is nowhere near the team guy Fitz is. In terms of his physical gifts he is an order of magnitude above Fitz. But in terms of his intangibles and leadership, it ain't even close. Fitz is so much better.

All QBs struggle during the season. They need to play and work through it. Unless Fitz totally screws up this season, I hope they are patient with his shortcomings.

I see extremely little chance of this turning into a QB controversy and the only way that happens is if Fitz completely craps the bed. The thing is, if Fitz completely craps the bed, there is no good reason to believe he will be a playoff QB anymore. In that respect, it's hard to imagine a bad scenario. This is the year that Fitz has to take control of this team and become a playoff QB. If he doesn't advance, then we need to start thinking we need a starter upgrade not a back-upgrade. I'm reasonably confident that Fitz is going to have a great year. If he doesn't, everything is fair game.

The same with Gailey for that matter.

I got a different concern - one year contract. That is fine for a WR or a RB or LB but not a backup QB IMO. A backup QB who replaces a backup QB with 2 years left on contract is odd thing. If he bears out Thigpen we need a new backup next year. If he does good he has most of the negotiating power, if he is bad Bills still need to get a backup integrated into the team.

I'd rather have seen a multi-year contract with a large 2nd year option. Bills would have a little more upside IMO. I have no problem with giving him a chance but hope there is clause in there if he has some sort of commotion on sideline or at practice.

I'm guessing that the 1 year contract is something VY insisted on. If he gets the opportunity and plays well, but the Bills still consider Fitz the starter, he wants the chance to pack up his tent and move to a starting job elsewhere.

That the Bills agreed is, IMO, the clearest indication that There Will Be No Quarterback Controversy because you're absolutely right BW, signing a guy who might be The Man to a 1 yr deal is the height of stupid.

I think Thigpen, barring a miraculous show-down in training camp, is gone.

I think the Bills may see one of this year's rookies as the viable backup of the future, just needing a year to learn before being tossed in.

Edit: Just watched the Nix and the Chan interviews on buffalobills.com. Nix looks like the cat that got the canary. Chan, in my opinion, did NOT look happy whilst talking about VY. He must have bought in and gone along, but I would say at best he has a worried mind and at worst a divided one. He did sound more positive when he talked about the workout, but I also caught a lot of "we'll see what he can do" and "we'll teach him (or maybe it was 'try to teach him') the basics and see what he can do"

Edited by Hopeful

I'm guessing that the 1 year contract is something VY insisted on. If he gets the opportunity and plays well, but the Bills still consider Fitz the starter, he wants the chance to pack up his tent and move to a starting job elsewhere.

IMHO, the cheap and short deal that he accepted pretty much tells me he was getting little to no interest from the rest of the league even for the #2 QB position. Even in Buffalo, he is stated by Nix as challenging for the #2 spot ergo he was hired as a #3QB. This is quite the fall from grace for a once Pro Bowl QB. The coaches and FO may really mean that they intend for him to firmly be in the #2 spot at best but will the fans believe it ? Will the media, always looking for some controversy, let the situation be as is if Fitz has a couple of poor games ? The risk to me is not in his ability, it is the likely drama that may happen in the media and among fans

Edited by Fan in Chicago

Dream Team 2.0!

LOL - I was thinking he better not say something like that again!

What type of stuff did he do in Nashville? I remember him being suicidal at one point - not something you look for in your quarterback of the future.

What type of stuff did he do in Nashville? I remember him being suicidal at one point - not something you look for in your quarterback of the future.

I don't think anyone would characterize him as our quarterback of the future.

He had some low moments in Tennessee and some great ones as well.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vince_Young

I see extremely little chance of this turning into a QB controversy and the only way that happens is if Fitz completely craps the bed. The thing is, if Fitz completely craps the bed, there is no good reason to believe he will be a playoff QB anymore. In that respect, it's hard to imagine a bad scenario. This is the year that Fitz has to take control of this team and become a playoff QB. If he doesn't advance, then we need to start thinking we need a starter upgrade not a back-upgrade. I'm reasonably confident that Fitz is going to have a great year. If he doesn't, everything is fair game.

The same with Gailey for that matter.

Your view is on target. This strikes me as a pretty no lose situation for the Bills.

This is the same as the Terrell Owens situation. He signs a deal which is actually pretty low for a player with his record of on field production, but it is a true representation of his market value because the player has been such an idiot that he is seen as a cancer.

If VY turns out to be a cancer then cut his butt. No harm no foul for the Bills (in fact they look manly and high character for cutting him IF he acts a fool.

On the other hand, let's say that Young realizing he is about out of options if he gets cut again for being a cancer actually flys right and stays true for a season. The Bills would then have a tough decision about whether his on field production is worth the likely many competitive offers VY feels.

Any risk from Young is not from this current contract but from what the market will bear IF he has a good season or Fitz is hurt and VY is passable as our #2.

In virtually all situations VY has huge incentives to perform on the field in '12 and huge fiscal disincentives to be a cancer.

In fact, the bigger a jerk he is the easier the Bills decision would be to cut him.

The same folks who whined when the Bills signed TO for $6 mill are the same idiots whining about the VY signing today. TO was never going to be a cancer for the Bills because 1. He had every market incentive not to be and 2. The TO clwar MO in every stop he nade was to ingratiate himself to his teammates and fans by being great for 1 year and then in his second year divide the team abd the fans by being an idiot in his out years.

If VY is the idiot many expect him to be he is an easy cut.

If Fitzy flubs and VY not only plays well but is a stamd-up guy then sign him to a market driven big contract.

The only bad deal for the Bills is

IF Fitzy falters AND VY is moderately good but not great.

Yet, this is a problem for nrxt year IF it occurs, but it is a no-brainer right now. Opposing OCs will now have to consider going max protect against a Bills DL with 4 players who all demand DTs on passing downsand who force OCs to consider only putting three hot receivers out per play is Merriman or any Bills LBs show rush ability.

Now the DCs have to gameplan for the potential they will see a VY offense (and even that Brad Smith might come in for wildcat or line up under center. This simply means fewer reps for the opposing D getting ready for the standard Bills O.

This move simply makes the Bills standard O more effwxrive even if VY only plays a few times the first few weeks.

If he is an idiot then cut his butt.

FINALLY!!!!!

Chan and Buddy are starting to come around to the truth about their 59 million dollar man.

By signing Vince Young their statement was clear:

IF there's even a remote chance that Young has matured from his past colorful experiences and can perform at or even near his former physical abilities, he is absolutely in the hunt for the starting job in B-lo. Oh, they may deny it, but clearly Vince impressed SOMEBODY at his workout last Wednsday. -Unlike Fitzfudgestick, who showed up to mini-camp looking like the Pilsbury dough-boy.

To be honest, I wish that it wasn't Vince Young. I'm not really a fan. -Not yet. I think for a grown man playing a contact sport, Vince is a bit too emotionally Fragile. -I was really hoping for Jason Campbell.

What's important though is the message. Now Fitzpatrick has competition in TC, and can possibly be benched for a better alternative if he flounders during the regular season.

On scale of 1-10, I give this FA sgning a solid 8.

Edited by #34fan

FINALLY!!!!!

Chan and Buddy are starting to come around to the truth about their 59 million dollar man.

IF there's even a remote chance that Young has matured from his past colorful experiences and can perform at or even near his former physical abilities, he is absolutely in the hunt for the starting job in B-lo. Oh, they may deny it, but clearly Vince impressed SOMEBODY at his workout last Wednsday. -Unlike Fitzfudgestick, who showed up to mini-camp looking like the Pilsbury dough-boy.

To be honest, I wish that it wasn't Vince Young. I'm not really a fan. -Not yet. I think for a grown man playing a contact sport, Vince is a bit too emotionally Fragile. -I was really hoping for Jason Campbell.

What's important though is the message. Now Fitzpatrick has competition in TC, and can possibly be benched for a better alternative if he flounders during the regular season.

Jason Campbell :lol: Must the Bills always dumpster dive? Season hasn't even started yet and we are looking for the life rafts.

IMO, this is the first bad move by the FO this off season. VY is just not a solid backup kind of QB. His strength has always been his physical attributes, not his mental preparation. And a back up QB has to mentally prepare far more than anything else. Has VY ever shown that he can a strong locker room guy, support his team mates, and help the starter prepare?

My other concern would be if he does come in, his strengths as a player are the complete opposite of Fitz. So, if Fitz goes down for a couple games, you have to remake the entire offense for VY. Chan even suggested he'd do as much. IMO, you want your backups to have similar skills and attributes as the starters. Then, when/if they come in... nothing changes for the 10 other guys on the field. So now, if VY relieves Fitz does everyone have to learn a very different offense?

I just don't get this move at all. Yes, we needed a better back up than Thigpen. But, we didn't really sign a backup QB. We signed a potential headache that has shown little ability to be a quality backup. I'm not terribly concerned, but I certainly don't think we just solved our QB depth issue at all, either.

That the Bills agreed is, IMO, the clearest indication that There Will Be No Quarterback Controversy because you're absolutely right BW, signing a guy who might be The Man to a 1 yr deal is the height of stupid.

I think Thigpen, barring a miraculous show-down in training camp, is gone.

I think the Bills may see one of this year's rookies as the viable backup of the future, just needing a year to learn before being tossed in.

Edit: Just watched the Nix and the Chan interviews on buffalobills.com. Nix looks like the cat that got the canary. Chan, in my opinion, did NOT look happy whilst talking about VY. He must have bought in and gone along, but I would say at best he has a worried mind and at worst a divided one. He did sound more positive when he talked about the workout, but I also caught a lot of "we'll see what he can do" and "we'll teach him (or maybe it was 'try to teach him') the basics and see what he can do"

Agree with this. I am wondering if the Bills got Young for one year with a plan to draft a franchise QB in the first round in 2013?

FINALLY!!!!!

I recognize that you prefaced your statement about VY starting with a big "IF" but I have to mention that VY was beat out by TE for the #2 spot in Philly. It's hard to imagine that VY has matured so much in one year that he's now ready to compete for a starting job. But, I guess, stranger things have happened.

I'm not so worried about his maturity as his ability. He did make the dream team comment but he was a fairly quiet backup last year with the Eagles last year and did not play very well when Vick was injured.