Good lord, the Pats just keep getting better

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Jones and Hightower....Wow....That's all I have to say

(Made the mistake of Decastro due to false text. sorry...)

I had the same reaction, but about the Bengals. Last year they had a strong D with one of the most aggressive DLs. Now they added Kirkpatrick. Last year they had a fairly potent O with Dalton/Green and they've strengthened their OL.

Watch the Bengals.

I hate those guys. They traded up twice in the first, got two very good defensive players, and did it without giving up their two second round picks. Now, I expect them to trade one of those seconds for a first rd. pick next year. Why do other GMs continue to feed this team with premium picks?

I hate those guys. They traded up twice in the first, got two very good defensive players, and did it without giving up their two second round picks. Now, I expect them to trade one of those seconds for a first rd. pick next year. Why do other GMs continue to feed this team with premium picks?

I doubt they get a 1st round pick. Draft picks are not as valuable as they were before the rookie cap so it would seem almost an impossibility for them to get a 1st rounder from where they're picking. As a matter of fact that is probably why they are actually using the picks this year instead of trading them away - the value isn't there anymore. As for their picks yesterday I'm not high on Jones but I do like Hightower quite a bit. But let's remember he was the 25th pick, not the 5th pick, in the 1st round.

HOWEVER:

New England, which made an art of hoarding picks in past years, has only two picks remaining in the entire draft,

and at this time doesn't have any third day picks at all.

Belichick knows his window with Brady is closing...hence collecting the high picks this year and doing everything he can to put a competent defense on the field. Don't know why any Bills fan is "worrying" about it, though. It's not as if we should expect the Pats* to not try to get better. I'm pretty optimistic about where the Bills are headed and that they've closed the gap on these jackasses.

If Decasto was really a Pat* right now, I'd be a lot more concerned. But he isn't. Bellychick is still ignoring his biggest needs -- oline and secondary. Obviously, he knows what he is doing, but I would rather these picks than seeing NE countering our dline.

This, this, this, a thousand times this.

New England used to be a team that lived on their defense. Last year they were the worst in the league and at best they stayed even. Let's not forget their sack leader is now playing for us and there's NO WAY Jones has 10 sacks.

Their team is built around one guy, Tom Brady. If they don't keep him healthy their season is over. There's no Cassell riding a defense to an 11-5 season. If they don't put up 30 a game they're going to lose more than they win. They've got one freaking midget for a RB. Now Brady's best OT just retired and their other tackle is going to miss camp and potentially the season opener because of ACL surgery.

I hope the Patriots use all of their pics on defense!

Jones and Hightower....Wow....That's all I have to say

(Made the mistake of Decastro due to false text. sorry...)

This is what people say every draft about New England and then when you look back at their drafts the Cheatriots drafts they end up average at best. This has been especially the trend the last 4 or 5 years.

Jenkins ends up with the Pats. Belicthek can straighten him out and they trade the second number 2 for a 1 next year. Position themselves to trade Mallet for a chance at Baklety, jones et. al to replace Brady. I'd do it but then again..."excuse me sir would you like fries with that?"

Jenkins ends up with the Pats. Belicthek can straighten him out and they trade the second number 2 for a 1 next year. Position themselves to trade Mallet for a chance at Baklety, jones et. al to replace Brady. I'd do it but then again..."excuse me sir would you like fries with that?"

No one will even trade a 1st next year for the Pats' 1st 2nd rounder (48th overall), much less their 2nd 2nd rounder (62nd overall). As for Jenkins, I'll bet he's gone before they pick, but Belichick can't straighten out every player.

NE picked 2 "name" guys who had excellent college careers. HOWEVER, these guys are tweeners and it will be difficult to scheme so these guys can excel. Will they each be able to play all 3 downs? I don't think so, but we'll see. More often than not, as of late, Belechik has been missing on his picks - not nearly as successful as when Scott Pioli (KC Chiefs) was there. The only thing to fear in NE is Brady and if you can't tell, we're loading up to stop that!!

I was thinking the same thing lastnight. Didnt they trade picks with the Broncos? Why help NE get better in your own conference? I hate to say it but NE and Cleveland had the best draft thus far. Maybe Tom Brady will get shingles before week 1. Just saw a commercial about that, it looks rough.

Edited by Smears

So we're overreacting to college players now??? I remember how great the additions of Fat Albert and 85 were to the Pats as well.

Those trades were the reason they ain't got no more picks after the second round....

They invested in their D which was a good move. I suspect they sink one of their second rounders on the O-line (Hope they don't get Konz as I think he is the best player available) and on the secondary. But with only one good draft since 2005 (The 2010 draft) I don't fear the Pats* drafting ability anymore.

This is what people say every draft about New England and then when you look back at their drafts the Cheatriots drafts they end up average at best. This has been especially the trend the last 4 or 5 years.

Huh? The Pats have drafted the most pro bowlers of any team in the league. And don't forget that the Pats traded picks for another couple pro bowlers - Welker and Moss.

As for Jones and Hightower, if one goes by Mike Mayock's grading system (probably top one around) .... the Pats drafted Mayock's top ranked DE (Jones), his 9th ranked player overall, and Mayock's 2nd ranked ILB (Hightower), his 15th ranked player overall.

For comparison sake, Mayock had Gilmore ranked 8th overall.

Edited by Pneumonic