Good lord, the Pats just keep getting better

The Patriots continue to ignore the hidden key to their success, the offensive line. Brady is an amazing QB, due in part to fact that they've had tackles like Matt Light who give Brady 8 seconds to throw the ball. Matt Light just retired, Logan Mankins is having ACL surgery and will miss camp and potentially the opener. They'll likely move Soldner over to Light's spot and I don't know if he's every played LT.

The Patriots demise will be due to their OL not being able to keep Brady upright.

The Pats added Nate Solder in the 1st last year and he's Light's replacement @ LT. Solder played extensively as a rookie and at a very high level. Many people believe Solder will become an all pro LT. And, the RT spot is capably manned by another possible pro bowler in Seb Vollmer. Both are young and just hitting their prime.

The only concerns on the Pats OL is when Mankins is able to return to action. It is expected that he'll be ready for the start of the season but only time will tell. If Mankins can't go then look for Dan Connolly to assume his spot. While not the pro bowler that Mankins is, Connolly is a very good player and played wonderfully at OC in place of the injured Dan Koppen last year. The Pats also added vet Robert Gallery as further OG insurance.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

+1

It's all about opinion and prediction right now until these guys take the field as pro's.

NE picks a safety with the 48th overall pick that nobody had on their charts and the pundits say they must 'know something'. If the Bills did that they'd be 'reaching'.

My view is that with the pick-ups in free agency and the draft the Bills have closed the talent gap on NE but there's still a gap. The place I see NE having a significant advantage is at the QB and TE positions but that's about it.

The talent gap is small enough now that the possibility the Bills 'could' beat NE each and every time they play is not some far-fetched Bills fan dream but rather a reality.

The salary cap has seen to it that most teams have similar talent levels. Or, at least the capability to have similar talent level of players. The Pats have never really been aboiut assembling the most talent; rather they assemble those players who are football smart, who are versatile and who fit specific roles on the team. That's why you see the Pats take a safety in the 2nd (and a rugby player in the 6th) that none of the draftniks knew anything about.

But, what differentiates the Pats from most other teams is the talent level at HC and at QB. The Pats have two of the best to ever work those spots in the history of the game, and doing so in tandem, giving them a huge advantage over all but a few of the competitors. Most teams are way behind before their players even step foot on the field.

Edited by Pneumonic

The Pats added Nate Solder in the 1st last year and he's Light's replacement @ LT. Solder played extensively as a rookie and at a very high level. Many people believe Solder will become an all pro LT. And, the RT spot is capably manned by another possible pro bowler in Seb Vollmer. Both are young and just hitting their prime.

The only concerns on the Pats OL is when Mankins is able to return to action. It is expected that he'll be ready for the start of the season but only time will tell. If Mankins can't go then look for Dan Connolly to assume his spot. While not the pro bowler that Mankins is, Connolly is a very good player and played wonderfully at OC in place of the injured Dan Koppen last year. The Pats also added vet Robert Gallery as further OG insurance.

Very high level? He played occasionally at the RT position and sometimes was blocking TE, so Tackle eligible. Had 5 penalties, allowed 4 pressures and 3 sacks... Lets not go anointing him a pro LT just yet. I seem to remember him looking pretty awful in the super bowl.

Very high level? He played occasionally at the RT position and sometimes was blocking TE, so Tackle eligible. Had 5 penalties, allowed 4 pressures and 3 sacks... Lets not go anointing him a pro LT just yet. I seem to remember him looking pretty awful in the super bowl.

Can't confirm or deny your stats but take a look at his playing time again.

As for the SB, the entire Pats OL struggle against the Giants DL so it's unfair to single Nate out.

As for the SB, the entire Pats OL struggle against the Giants DL so it's unfair to single Nate out.

Ok, he saw playing time in 13 of 16 games. Still wasn't a bonified starter. Manly came in for injuries. Sure he looked good in preseason at LT. But that was preseason.

I have bad news for the Patriots, the Bills new DL might be better than the Giants. They still have to prove it but they certainly have the potential. If Merriman is in fact healthy, the Bills will have the best DL in the NFL.

Ya, I said it!

Edited by Mike in Syracuse

I would like to point out one important fact: A healthy Bills team beat the Pats* last season . The team we beat went on to win the conference. The Bills team that won that first match-up finished the season largely on Injured Reserve. The Bills added a lot of quality depth this off-season. The gap was in depth, and that's where the Bills are improving.

I should have pointed out that the reason i feel the Pats are on the decline is mostly they were poor on defense last year and have been losing some skilled players slowly while not rejuvenating. They finally spent a couple draft picks this year and will stay competitive but all the afc defenses are tooling to beat them and i dont see how they are changing their offense. It's just a matter of time now and a matter who dethrones them first. i be we do. geez i'm such a homer. but i'm taking odds on this one anyways.

I've been saying the Putz are done for the last 5 years. :oops:

Don't count your chickens. The Putrids targeted their D needs in the draft and FA as usual.

Not to mention the week prior to their first matchup NE has its bye week (again).

Solder shut down Cam Wake in the Monday nighter in Miami, but he also got away with a number of holds that weren't called (even the announcers said so), so it's good to see that some things never change no matter who's playing LT for the Pats*.....

I've been saying the Putz are done for the last 5 years. :oops:

Don't count your chickens. The Putrids targeted their D needs in the draft and FA as usual.

Not to mention the week prior to their first matchup NE has its bye week (again).

I did really want to count my chickens. I know they will have a strong front on defense with additions, but our o line got better too.

We hate Brady but there is no question he is amazing. That said Brady is the only reason the Pats are still winning. When Brady finally starts to hit the wall the Pats will become mediocre.

PTR

That is not completely true. When Brady went down a few years ago, the Pats still made the playoffs that year with Matt Casell, and beat us twice that year. Of course, it also helped get Matt a 60M contract with Kansas City and proved that he is no better than our own Fitz.

The Pats have a great system and it works. Whether Belichek is a genius coach or not, he is a great HC that can motivate a team to play at a high level. In the first two SB, it was all about letting your offense not make any mistakes and keeping the score low and then let your defense make the plays. Later on with a aging defense and no capable replacements for some of the shipped out players, the Pats turned into a scoring machine and focused on Offense.

Getting these changes in place and making it work is what makes Belichek a Genius.

I would like to point out one important fact: A healthy Bills team beat the Pats* last season . The team we beat went on to win the conference. The Bills team that won that first match-up finished the season largely on Injured Reserve. The Bills added a lot of quality depth this off-season. The gap was in depth, and that's where the Bills are improving.

The talent on offense doesn't match up. However, I hope our Defense (the strength of this team this off season) can put on the heat and neutralize their offense.

The talent on offense doesn't match up. However, I hope our Defense (the strength of this team this off season) can put on the heat and neutralize their offense.

That is not completely true. When Brady went down a few years ago, the Pats still made the playoffs that year with Matt Casell, and beat us twice that year. Of course, it also helped get Matt a 60M contract with Kansas City and proved that he is no better than our own Fitz.

The Pats have a great system and it works. Whether Belichek is a genius coach or not, he is a great HC that can motivate a team to play at a high level. In the first two SB, it was all about letting your offense not make any mistakes and keeping the score low and then let your defense make the plays. Later on with a aging defense and no capable replacements for some of the shipped out players, the Pats turned into a scoring machine and focused on Offense.

Getting these changes in place and making it work is what makes Belichek a Genius.

The Patriots did NOT make the playoffs with Matt Cassel.