S Mark Barron discussion

Haplo848

Buddy clearly said only a few things definitively this year.

We won't draft a TE.

Don't believe that we have to spend our 1st rounder on a pass rusher (a while ago)

Don't believe who the mock drafts say we will pick at #10.

He has 10 guys and will be happy with whoever isn't drafted in the first 9.

We want to add two tackles.

He wants a difference maker at 10 who he thinks will start.

Only the difference maker comment casts doubt on Barron.

From what I've seen of Barron, I think that he'll be a monster player. I'd be a little surprised, but won't be too disappointed if he's our choice. I trust Nix.

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Chargers' recent signing of Roscoe Parrish was interesting too.

And of course this is all in the context of the Merriman signing and Nix's non-amicable departure from San Diego.

It's not hard to imagine some competitive dislike between the two organizations.

You're right to a point but a deal was basicly made on the phone while Meachum was still in Buffalo. I haven't really ever heard of that happening before, have you? If so it's not a common practice. Look, AJ Smith is an intentional SOB in my book and if Buffalo could stick it in his ass by either taking a player that he covets or bleeding him for a so called such player then I would really enjoy it. Call me petty but anyone splews poison about anyone or anything about our franchise then I don't forget it and I consider them an enemy. AJ Smith can kiss my ass for all that I care but if he doesn't start getting that team deep into the play-offs soon then he may be looking for a job and THAT would suit me just fine.

The Bills didn't want Parrish. The Chargers didn't want Merriman. That had nothing to do with which team each guy ended up at.

These guys make deals where and when the deals are made. I'm assuming Buddy knew what Meachum wanted before Meachum arrived and he had no intention of paying him that amount. Meachum and his agent realized this while they were in Buffalo obviously. Should he have waited until he was clear of the Buffalo International Airport airspace before he contacted the Chargers for a counter offer? Buddy turned him down, what's the big deal?

This is all made up nonsense. I'm sure the fans, players and staff of the Chargers have no idea there is a "competitive dislike between the two organizations".

Buddy and Chan have been very clear about the draft intentions the last two years, and both times they did precisely what they said they'd do.

What you're suggesting bucks the trends of history...

Not necessarily accurate...there was no clear indication in any of his two drafts of who we would pick. They mentioned wanting a "scat back" but never hinted that Spiller was a lock for the pick then proceeded to sprint to the podeum to pick him instantly when most thought we would go another direction and look for the scat back in later rounds. In fact, most people had us taking everyone but Spiller (even though I actually thought Spiller was going to be the pick as he was BPA and most explosive prospect in draft at that time). Then Dareus was a no brainer, but even he wasnt a lock as it depended on what Denver did with their pick, but when you are picking top 3, there is usually a more obvious choice as we desperately needed D Line help and were able to grab the top D Line prospect at #3. Not a lot of threat to have someone move ahead of us there.

But at #10, there are teams ahead of us looking to move down, and teams behind rumored to want to move up with Barron being a popular target in those scenarios. Nix is not stupid, and he has never tipped his hand in a way that would jeopardize our slot and I would fully expect that if Barron is a player of interest he would not publicly say so. There is absolutely ZERO value in a GM tipping his hand, especially given the potential volatility in draft day trades this year with the new rookie contracts and so many teams supposedly looking to move up and down.

I am not saying he is a lock for the pick, but that its just foolish to take Nix at his word going into what could be one of the most trade heavy drafts in recent history. There is absolutely no logic or value in doing so and regardless of what anyone thinks, I would bet good money that Nix is not revealing all his cards.

I think the pick is going to be Keuchly or Barron personally unless Blackmon or Kalil slip to us. If Floyd is there, he is a dark horse pick because I think they have some WR's they like in round 2 and don't think the Bills are as interested in him at #10 as people think because of the WR depth in this draft. Same goes with OT...I don't get the impression they are very high on the OT's that are going to be available at #10 assuming Kalil is gone and will look to add one in round 2 or 3.

I also wouldnt be surprised at all to see Tannehill slip and see us take him, although I personally hate that idea even though I am in the opinion we need to get a QB soon. Tannehill reminds me of JP Losman in terms of what everyone is saying about him...at #10, I dont want a project QB...it needs to be a guy who has less risk IMO and I think all signs point to that being Kuechly or Barron.

Just my humble opinion...cant wait to see. The only guy I would weary of his Tannehill really. A top DB, LB, S, OT, or WR I can get behind, but Tannehill (like Gabbert) really doesn't seem like a good pick at the top of first.

I really hope all the Barron talk is to try and get a team to trade up bc I would hate this pick. Im not one to draft for need but Safety is prob the teams deepest position so drafting another over a position they would get more production out of would be dumb on top of the stupidity of drafting a safety that high to begin with

I hate how this team loves drafting DBs so high in the draft

You know what I hate more? Watching TE's run free all day in our secondary and slot WRs running free on every play...So if this kid can do a better job at that than our current group then I am all for it. We are deep at safety, but they all struggled at lot with that and more...and in our division that is a problem and if you can't win in your division you won't likely go to the playoffs or SB.

Barron is more of an inside-the-box safety than Wilson or Byrd. Does anyone else think he could be used in three safety packages (like the one the Giants sometimes use), replacing one of the outside linebackers?

Given how much we seem to be trying to emulate the Giants on defense, I can see this being the plan.

Edited by ny33

I really hope all the Barron talk is to try and get a team to trade up bc I would hate this pick. Im not one to draft for need but Safety is prob the teams deepest position so drafting another over a position they would get more production out of would be dumb on top of the stupidity of drafting a safety that high to begin with

Pray to your gods that its not a running back. Better 10 first round dbs than a single first round rb.

Profootballtalk is now reporting the Bills are extremely interested in Barron. God I hope this isnt true.

They just picked up on the WGR Report...

BUT...The part about Polian disagreeing with McShay's take on the type of Safety Barron is...That's the REAL story here as far as I'm concerned...Like I've been saying all along...He's a downhill SS...And Folks are trying to turn him into something he's not. Just because he is clearly the best Safety in this Draft does not mean he's a FS or that he's going to be able to cover TE's...He's not a turn and run guy, or a cap the top of the Defense guy...He's not the prospect Eric Berry was...IMHO Barron's not an answer for the cover game...At least not the way some are reporting he will be... B-)

PFT Link

They just picked up on the WGR Report...

BUT...The part about Polian disagreeing with McShay's take on the type of Safety Barron is...That's the REAL story here as far as I'm concerned...Like I've been saying all along...He's a downhill SS...And Folks are trying to turn him into something he's not. Just because he is clearly the best Safety in this Draft does not mean he's a FS or that he's going to be able to cover TE's...He's not a turn and run guy, or a cap the top of the Defense guy...He's not the prospect Eric Berry was...IMHO Barron's not an answer for the cover game...At least not the way some are reporting he will be... B-)

PFT Link

I assure you the Bills know a lot more about Barron than you. I don't mean any disrespect by that, but that have waaaay more info on him, his abilities, measurables, character, etc...so if they, as well as a ton of other teams see this kid as something special then I would say that says a lot about the kid and maybe they see things you don't.

That being said, this also could be an attempt to create trade down value with our pick.

This close to the draft you can't take anything too seriously, but the interest in Barron around the league is legit so it would not surprise me if the Bills do have a lot of interest in the kid, I mean he is probably easily in there top overall prospects on their big board as most feel he is one of the top 5 to 10 overall prospects in the draft.

This is starting to remind me a LOT of when a lot of talk picked up about Spiller may be a real option for the Bills when no one believed it to be serious given the RBs we already had...like I said, unless Kalil or Blackmon slips, I think the pick is Barron or Kuechly and I am starting to think its gonna be Barron if those two don't slip

Edited by Alphadawg7

I assure you the Bills know a lot more about Barron than you. I don't mean any disrespect by that, but that have waaaay more info on him, his abilities, measurables, character, etc...so if they, as well as a ton of other teams see this kid as something special then I would say that says a lot about the kid and maybe they see things you don't.

That being said, this also could be an attempt to create trade down value with our pick.

This close to the draft you can't take anything too seriously, but the interest in Barron around the league is legit so it would not surprise me if the Bills do have a lot of interest in the kid, I mean he is probably easily in there top overall prospects on their big board as most feel he is one of the top 5 to 10 overall prospects in the draft.

This is starting to remind me a LOT of when a lot of talk picked up about Spiller may be a real option for the Bills when no one believed it to be serious given the RBs we already had...like I said, unless Kalil or Blackmon slips, I think the pick is Barron or Kuechly and I am starting to think its gonna be Barron if those two don't slip

I'm sure they knew a lot more about Whitner too when I wanted them to pick Ngata... ;)

I know it seems like I'm being hard on Barron, but I concede he's a VERY good prospect...I do think Barron is being a bit over-valued because he's clearly the best Safety in this Draft...I just don't think he's everything SOME Scouts (like McShay) are saying he is...And I'll side with Polian over McShay any day of the week and twice on Sunday...But the main reason I don't like Barron for The Bills is really not so much about the player, it's about the position and the Team...I believe in Team building and not talent collecting...I just don't think it's a good idea to Draft a SS at #10 for this Team as it is right now, and if I'm wrong so be it...In fact if they Pick Barron I hope I am wrong...If he's the Pick I will hope Barron becomes the next Polomalu...I just doubt it's gonna happen...

I do agree about the Spiller reminder...And that's a whole different subject...I was against that pick as well for the same reasons I'm against the Barron pick...And I LOVED CJ Spiller in College...But we already had Marshawn and Freddie, and I did not like the Pick...But whatever...We'll see in a few years if this Barron Kid is worthy of a Top 10 Pick...Because it sure as heck looks like he's going there... B-)

I'm sure they knew a lot more about Whitner too when I wanted them to pick Ngata... ;)

Im so sick of seeing this argument, and people referencing the Bills history of picking DBs early.

ITS A NEW, COMPLETELY DIFFERENT FRONT OFFICE. NEW SCOUTS. NEW GM. NEW/DIFFERENT EVERYTHING

The "they" you refer to arent even allowed in the building at OBD anymore. Get over it. Move on. That past has nothing to do with the current team, or building plan.

Beginning to think that all the Barron interest is a smokescreen to get Dallas to trade up.

This offseason has been about" how do we stop Tom Brady "

Get Super Mario..... check

Get Anderson ..check, 10 sacks last season.

Barron is a damn good player. Here's the question.

Can Gilmore help you stop Tom Brady more than Barron can??

I know I still want Floyd but we can get a WR in the 2nd round.

I want to stop Tom Brady. If we make the playoffs you might even see him 3 times.

Gilmore would have a better impact for us than Barron would IMO.

I do not know if someone else has posted this, but in addition to creating a market for themselves, I wonder if the Bills may be baiting the Cowpokes or someone else to actually trade above them to take Barron so that some other player falls to the Bills.

I love the draft and all the strategy that goes on. Who knows what they want or what is going to happen. I cannot wait for Thursday night.

Beginning to think that all the Barron interest is a smokescreen to get Dallas to trade up.

This offseason has been about" how do we stop Tom Brady "

Get Super Mario..... check

Get Anderson ..check, 10 sacks last season.

Barron is a damn good player. Here's the question.

Can Gilmore help you stop Tom Brady more than Barron can??

I know I still want Floyd but we can get a WR in the 2nd round.

I want to stop Tom Brady. If we make the playoffs you might even see him 3 times.

Gilmore would have a better impact for us than Barron would IMO.

Well if you want to stop Brady (and i totally agree with you that's what we need to do given we will see them 2 to 3 times like you said) then Barron will have more impact than Gilmore because our safeties proved they can not cover either TE's at all and Welker went anywhere he wanted inside all day. Barron will be a much bigger factor in the pats games if he lives up to his potential.

My take on him is this:

I'm sure the Bills and Buddy Nix genuinley like Barron and think he is a great player. But this whole situation SCREAMS of smoke screen. Why with their being 4-5 can't miss prospects, unlike last year when their was like 8-9, would he tip his hand about who he is going to pick or what direction they are going. All the comments about them wanting a "scat back" came from Gailey, not Nix, and they were said in February of that year. With all these recent claims about San Diego and Dallas really liking Barron a statement like this really plays into them. Although it was thought that Dalls really liked Poe, so their interest in Barron could be a smoke screen as well. At this point its very much a game of cat and mouse, so everything said or release by the Bills HAS to be taken with a grain of salt.

On ESPN Tuesday night, draft analyst Todd McShay suggested Barron as a sneaky option for the Bills because he can match up in pass coverage with division-rival tight ends Rob Gronkowski and Aaron Hernandez. Former Colts president Bill Polian shot McShay down, referring to Barron as a “box safety” who plugs the run but struggles in coverage.

i trust polian alot more than mcshay....

heres a video of Barron vs LSU:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmCuQt-sryE