S Mark Barron discussion

Haplo848

• Replies 306
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A. J. Smith was a John Butler guy. When Ralph screwed Butler around, Smith left with him. If Smith has a personal thing going on, it probably has more to do with Ralph pretty much exclusively. There is a loooong list of people who feel very much like Smith, starting way back with Cookie Gilchrist and Lou Saban, and continuing with Bill Polian and Wade Phillips.

From a talent standpoint, I would love him on the roster. But I think this is a case where you need to look at the bigger picture and find a balance between value and need. Unless he turns out to be Ed Reed or Troy Polamalu, he isn't going to be enough better than George Wilson to warrant picking him 10 overall. I'd rather grab a player at a position he instantly upgrades significantly.

Maybe so...But I thought that comment was more directed at everybody and their mother projecting Reiff to The Bills...We'll see soon enough I guess... B-)

That's my guess but im also thinkin we could be goin after another DL? Considering everyone knows we got 2 in free agency, no ones expecting us to grab one with our 10th pick. Thats pretty suprising

That's my guess but im also thinkin we could be goin after another DL? Considering everyone knows we got 2 in free agency, no ones expecting us to grab one with our 10th pick. Thats pretty suprising

I think if we go for a DL, it will be a DE on Day 3 for depth purposes.

I think all these discussions are a testament to how well Nix & Co. kept their poker faces. What's the potential list at now? Floyd, Glenn, Martin, Reiff, Kuechly, Barron, Gilmore, Kirkpatrick, DeCastro, Cox. Plus guys who might slide: Blackmon, Tannehill, Kalil. Part of it is where we are in the draft, but basically nobody has any idea what direction the Bills are going in.

I started a thread last week with my suspicion that Barron would be the Bills pick, based on the fact I believe they have him rated as the BPA at 10, even ahead of Kuechly. Many teams are high on this guy, I bet the Bills are too. If the Chargers are, that should tell you something. Buddy wants a dynamic, impact player. That's what Barron appears to be. Of course raking someone over the coals for a bevy of picks to move up to get him? That would be OK too. Go Bills!

Barron highlights

I was all set on Fletcher Cox or Luke Kuechly. Then heard all the rumbling about Barron. Have any of the negative posters watched this guy. He hits like a mack truck, and from the looks of it, was the general on that Alabama team. For anyone that says we have enough good safeties.....we haven't had a safety like this in forever.

Can you imagine Barron in the first and Hightower in the 2nd?

I am 100% OK with either Barron or Kuechly at #10.

With today's NFL rules, I could care less about how hard a safety can hit.

It's just going to get us a 15 yard penalty anyway.

I care about how good he is in coverage and how good he is at wrapping up and bringing down the ball carrier.

I'm not sure Barron is exceptional at either.

From a talent standpoint, I would love him on the roster. But I think this is a case where you need to look at the bigger picture and find a balance between value and need. Unless he turns out to be Ed Reed or Troy Polamalu, he isn't going to be enough better than George Wilson to warrant picking him 10 overall. I'd rather grab a player at a position he instantly upgrades significantly.

Totally agree with this take...Again you build a Team, you don't collect talent...And if need was not a HUGE factor, then why in the heck do we, and everybody else, talk about it night and day? BPA is more of a bluff than anything nowadays...IMHO of course... B-)

Never thought of it that way...But you sure as heck got that right! B-)

I get that saying "best player available" makes people feel like they know more about football than the next person, but you have to draw the line somewhere. Not only do we have very good starting safeties, it's also a position at which we have very good depth. I almost don't care how good this guy is. If you take a safety at 10, he better be Ed Reed or else you draft a position of need.

Don't understand me wong, I think Barron will be a good safety. I just think LB is a higher priority right now.

Barron plays like a linebacker though. He also covers. He was making plays from SS that the linebacker should have been making. I am just saying I would not be upset with that pick. He is a beast.

I care about how good he is in coverage and how good he is at wrapping up and bringing down the ball carrier.

I'm not sure Barron is exceptional at either.

I had those exact same thoughts, but I also saw this from Greg Cossell'd Mock Draft:

"Barron's tape showed a complete and multi-dimensional skill set, perhaps the most impressive attribute being his man-to-man coverage ability versus tight ends. He also played man-to-man against the inside slot receiver in 3-by-1 sets. The larger point is that Barron can play man coverage, and that has become increasingly important for safeties in today's NFL. Overall, Barron offers tremendous scheme and position versatility. Safety has still not reached premium status in terms of NFL draft value, but I would argue that Barron is one of the five to seven best players in this draft"

The way I read it Buddy just basically ruled out safety in top half of the draft. Very happy w/ Searcy, Byrd is a good player and George is a leader of us. No way we take this guy.

Why do people insist on taking everything people say prior to draft as truth? Do you honestly think Buddy would come out and say they are considering the safety when its a hot topic that several teams may be interested in trading up to get the kid and have the ammo to do it (like NE)? If the kid is a top target for them, they don't want to tip their hand and encourage someone to trade ahead of them to get him.

So, again, if Nix is interested in Barron then I would fully expect him to say he is not. I actually think Barron is a serious potential pick for us at #10 and he very well could be BPA when we pick, another thing Nix has stuck to. They took Spiller when we had FJ and Lynch...he is not afraid of taking a guy at a position we are deep at if he feels the kid is a real playmaker, which is the very thing Nix said he is looking for at #10, a playmaker.

And people can say all day how good our safeties are, except there is that little problem that they were terrible all year covering the opposing tight ends all season that ate us alive. So, while I love the fact we got Byrd, Wilson, and Searcy I just don't know if they are so good that Nix would pass on Barron if he is truly the BPA on his board when we pick at #10. I personally think its gonna be Barron or Kuechly.

Why do people insist on taking everything people say prior to draft as truth? Do you honestly think Buddy would come out and say they are considering the safety when its a hot topic that several teams may be interested in trading up to get the kid and have the ammo to do it (like NE)? If the kid is a top target for them, they don't want to tip their hand and encourage someone to trade ahead of them to get him.

So, again, if Nix is interested in Barron then I would fully expect him to say he is not. I actually think Barron is a serious potential pick for us at #10 and he very well could be BPA when we pick, another thing Nix has stuck to. They took Spiller when we had FJ and Lynch...he is not afraid of taking a guy at a position we are deep at if he feels the kid is a real playmaker, which is the very thing Nix said he is looking for at #10, a playmaker.

And people can say all day how good our safeties are, except there is that little problem that they were terrible all year covering the opposing tight ends all season that ate us alive. So, while I love the fact we got Byrd, Wilson, and Searcy I just don't know if they are so good that Nix would pass on Barron if he is truly the BPA on his board when we pick at #10. I personally think its gonna be Barron or Kuechly.

Buddy and Chan have been very clear about the draft intentions the last two years, and both times they did precisely what they said they'd do.

What you're suggesting bucks the trends of history...

Buddy and Chan have been very clear about the draft intentions the last two years, and both times they did precisely what they said they'd do.

What you're suggesting bucks the trends of history...

Exactly.

Far too many people are talking "smokescreen" this and "slight of hand" that, but that goes against everything this regime has shown over the last two drafts. They say what they are going after and they get it.

#10 is going to be a secondary pick, it just is.