Donovan McNabb: HOFer?

Buftex

When I woke up this morning, I turned on the local sports talk radio station, where they are normally talking about nothing I care about...but Bucky Godboldt (former Longhorns assistant coach, and radio personality here in Austin) was talking about "partying with Jim Kelly, back in Miami"..."He was a hell of a partier, and a hell of a football player...who the hell does Donovan McNabb think he is, comparing himself to Jim Kelly?"

So, I do a search, and find this article...though I see no mention of McNabb himself comparing his career to Kelly's, some of his statements are absurd. And, I will admit, I was a huge McNabb fan at one time...but he is not a Hall Of Famer...unless Vinny Testeverde and Drew Bledsoe make it...IMO. What do you think?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8286a1a0/article/donovan-mcnabb-believes-hes-a-hall-of-famer

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In the Philly.com article, which is the source of all of this, he awards Kelly a SB win....so he's got that going for him. :lol:

Seriously: The way I look at it...Montana, Kelly, Marino, Aikman, hell even Steve Young, all had one thing in common: they had a year or 2 where they were the best QB in the league. You turn on the TV, watch them play, and say, yeah, he's the best there is this year. McNabb never had that for a full year. He had it for about 4-5 games, the year before Vick came back, but then got hurt and it was done(and so were my dreams of winning my fantasy league).

For the entire time McNabb played, except for that 5 game stretch, he was the 3rd, at best, QB in the league.

When people(um Eagle fans) complain about McNabb's WRs....I remind them that he had Owens, who, while he was with the Eagles, was the best WR in the game, and caught 1200 yds and 14 Tds from McNabb his fist year. :blink: Then, if they persist, and talk about McNabb's #s in spite of having no WRs the rest of the time....I ask "did he get those #s by throwing to himself?"

This is a great way to haze Eagle's fans. And, for those of you who haven't had much experience with that, a good rule is: everyone should haze Eagle fans, about everything, as much as possible, all the time, as either they deserve it, or will soon do/say something to deserve it.

Nah...not a HOFer. Not with Duce Staley, Brian Westbrook and that defense...and no ring.

I think comparing Bledsoe to McNabb is a good comparison.

Some sort of semi-dominant QB play. Same ability to get to Conference Championships and SBs but not win.

Same late career bouncing around and failing.

I don't think either QB is a HOFer.

Some sort of semi-dominant QB play. Same ability to get to Conference Championships and SBs but not win.

That will keep you out of the HOF right there.

Maybe this is what McNabb meant when he was compared to Kelly...

I think comparing Bledsoe to McNabb is a good comparison.

Same late career bouncing around and failing.

I don't think either QB is a HOFer.

= the reverse of why Terry Bradshaw is a HOFer.

I love that everyone outside of Philly is finally seeing McNabb for what he really is instead of just saying thats just Philly fans being Philly fans when they rip him

McNabb is not a HOF and is not as good as his numbers make him look

wasnt in our conference, i didnt really see enough of him outside of playoff games.

sure did lose a lot of conference championship games though.

never struck me as "elite."

god, i can remember vividly him rifling the ball into the turf at his receivers feet on a number of occasions - like his mechanics were off - he held the ball just a millisecond too long.

should kurt warner be in the hall?

I think the thing with Warner was that he was a very good QB, but he also was living off of the back story.Every liked him cause hewent from bagging groceries to winning a SB. He would be one of those guys that might get in because he has a SB win in a weak draft year, but many will question if he was truly deserving of it