Donovan McNabb: HOFer?

Buftex

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

sure did lose a lot of conference championship games though.

This.

As fun as it is for people to make fun of our Super Bowl issues, winning four AFC titles, particularly in a row, was a huge accomplishment.

As for Kurt Warner, his resume is far more impressive than Bledsoes and McNabb's, IMO. Two SB appearances with one team, including a SB win, and then took another team to the SB again late in his career. Has another QB ever taken two different teams to the SB?

Edited by ajzepp

This.

As fun as it is for people to make fun of our Super Bowl issues, winning four AFC titles, particularly in a row, was a huge accomplishment.

As for Kurt Warner, his resume is far more impressive than Bledsoes and McNabb's, IMO. Two SB appearances with one team, including a SB win, and then took another team to the SB again late in his career. Has another QB ever taken two different teams to the SB?

Not just 2 teams but 2 sad sack teams. The Rams and Cards are not and were not even close to elite franchises except for the time he was there. I would vote him in for that reason alone. As for McNabb he was solid and sometimes spectacular but not a hof player imo.

Not just 2 teams but 2 sad sack teams. The Rams and Cards are not and were not even close to elite franchises except for the time he was there. I would vote him in for that reason alone. As for McNabb he was solid and sometimes spectacular but not a hof player imo.

Yep, I think you can definitely make a case for Warner. If not for an unbelievably clutch catch against the Steelers, he'd have two rings. I still can't believe they lost that game...

This.

he almost got the gmen there if i remember correctly.

kurt should have beat the patriots that year too, that superbowl was the ORIGINAL spygate, i dont care what anyone says, the patriots cheated, the rams were UNREAL that year. the rams went 14-2 (when there were only 3 divisions, and 14-2 meant FOURTEEN AND TWO!) and had a point differential of 235. the next closest team in point differential was the 13-3 steelers at 140. the rams were defending super bowl champions, and in the playoffs hung 45 on the packers, and 29 on the eagles, and THEN IN THE SUPER BOWL WERE BEAT BY PLUCKY TOM BRADY AND ONLY MANAGED TO SCORE 17 POINTS.

GOD. it makes me furious. they should take away that super bowl win from new england, the rams "greatest show on turf" is going to be forgotten by history, warner wont get into the hall, and the patriots are considered a dynasty, and the fact of the matter is - thats just not historically accurate.

those rams were 10x better than that joke of an undefeated team new england had in 07. makes me so mad, i cant even type it out coherently.

kurt should have beat the patriots that year too, that superbowl was the ORIGINAL spygate, i dont care what anyone says, the patriots cheated, the rams were UNREAL that year. the rams went 14-2 (when there were only 3 divisions, and 14-2 meant FOURTEEN AND TWO!) and had a point differential of 235. the next closest team in point differential was the 13-3 steelers at 140. the rams were defending super bowl champions, and in the playoffs hung 45 on the packers, and 29 on the eagles, and THEN IN THE SUPER BOWL WERE BEAT BY PLUCKY TOM BRADY AND ONLY MANAGED TO SCORE 17 POINTS.

GOD. it makes me furious. they should take away that super bowl win from new england, the rams "greatest show on turf" is going to be forgotten by history, warner wont get into the hall, and the patriots are considered a dynasty, and the fact of the matter is - thats just not historically accurate.

those rams were 10x better than that joke of an undefeated team new england had in 07. makes me so mad, i cant even type it out coherently.

It's amazing to me just how much I hate Belichick and the Pats. Like everyone else, I hated the stinkin' Dolphins all throughout the mid and late 80s, all through the 90s, and into the 2000s...but for the most part I always respected them amidst the hatred. But I have no respect for the Pats at all...I hate everything about that team and I LOVED seeing them lose to the Giants both times. When Dan Marino was elected into the HOF, I enjoyed watching his acceptance speech and took a trip down memory lane...when Brady and Belichick are up there talking, I'm turning the channel.

I think the thing with Warner was that he was a very good QB, but he also was living off of the back story.Every liked him cause hewent from bagging groceries to winning a SB. He would be one of those guys that might get in because he has a SB win in a weak draft year, but many will question if he was truly deserving of it

Hmmm...not sure if I completely agree with this. The grocery bagging story obviously got a lot of run, but Warner was phenominaly good for a few scattered seasons, went to 2 Super Bowls, and won one. What would most likely keep him out, IMO, whether it was circumstance (wasted time with the NY Giants, for instance) or injury, he didn't have a block of 4 to 6 years of being "phenominal" (I am using that word, for lack of a better word, to mean upper tier) in a row...his success was scattered over a long time...he wasn't a high draft pick, like McNabb, so little was expected from him at the outset of his career...he was fortunate to make a roster...then he got thrust into a starting role because of an injury, performed at a very high level for two seasons in St Louis, before being mostly injured for two years...St Louis assumed he was washed up at that point...so the Giants pikced him up to mentor Eli...he played a bit, but didn't perform well, on a pretty weak Giants team. Went to an even worse Arizona team....but when they added pieces around him, he ended his career at a phenominal level...

To me, McNabb problem, when compared to Warner (keeping in mind, I liked McNabb, but I am finding him annoying at this point in his career), Donovan played on more consistantly talented teams, won a lot of games in Philly, but, unfortunately, played a prominent role in too many of their biggest losses.

I think that it's embarrassing to even think of Donovan McNabb as being Hall of Fame material let alone write an article on nfl.com. He was the perfect west coast "system" QB for Andy Reid to reach the playoffs year after year in the usually weaker NFC conference over the last decade. I give him about two years to play the race card even though Warren Moon made it. IMO, Randle Cunningham was a way better QB than McNabb.

still dont think aikman belongs. hes a lot like bob griese, guys that got in because they had all-pros all around them but were not dominant players on their own. i always ask people, name one game either aikman or griese hoisted the team on their shoulders and won games by themselves? the answer is always crickets. you can point to good games they had but never willed their team to victory

i can point to multiple games where kelly did that, elway did that, marino did that, favre did that. not one for aikman or griese. and i have no axe to grind against these guys ... well other than i hate those teams lol. in fact griese played when i was a little **** and didnt know any better and they were my second favorite team ... ok tied for favoritew but the bills sucked so i kinda cheated on them for a few years. but i loved bob griese and he just cant make the case that he was that great imo

i can even say mcnabb won more games on his own than either of those two guys. but he sucked enough at key times to be borderline at best for the hof

hey life aint fair. and it works both ways. ask andre reed

ok and definitely for kurt warner imo. after seeing what happened to arizone before, during, and immediately after his time there, i really think he was the main force for the greatest show on turf. didnt seem like it at the time what with marshall and bruce and torry and haz and that freakin ol but im not sure anybody else makes that offense rain points like they did. jmo

Edited by Meathead

I think comparing Bledsoe to McNabb is a good comparison.

Some sort of semi-dominant QB play. Same ability to get to Conference Championships and SBs but not win.

Same late career bouncing around and failing.

I don't think either QB is a HOFer.

Perfect comparison actually.

Hell, I think Marino is overrated too. He put up some ridiculous numbers at the very start of his career, but he never put any fear into me after, say, 1987 or so.

I will be the dissenting opinion. I believe he will be in the Hall of Fame...eventually. He'll be the "last year of eligibility" guy.

His trips to Washington and Minnesota did not help his candidacy. In the present, they certainly did more damage than benefit. McNabb is going to be a historical selection...after those memories have faded of him in a Redskins and Vikings uniform.

However, the Eagles were a lousy franchise and team when McNabb was drafted in 1999. He was the keystone of those very good and great Eagles teams and he racked up a lot of those stats with guys from the stands at wide receiver with the exception of having T.O. in 2004. He's got a handful of pro bowls, a player of the year award and good enough stats to be within the top 15-20 quarterbacks. He also holds almost all of the franchise records.

For some reason, people love to hate on McNabb. He was a damn good QB. Maybe not a HOFer, but he is a lot closer than people think. Except for one year with TO and his last year in Philly, he played with absolute garbage at the receiver position (James Thrash, Tood Pinkston). He put up better numbers than our own Jim Kelly, yet McNabb is overrated and Kelly is the greatest Bill ever. :blink:

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/players/4650/career;_ylt=AlkrX1KEYrinnTQG3sJjigj.uLYF

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/K/KellJi00.htm

I don't know why people hate on McNabb. He was probably too nice of a guy. But it's not coincidence that the most successful period of Eagles football was when he was the QB. Philyl fans are freakign idiots. I would have killed to have McNabb in his prime. Very few Qbs did more with less.

Clearly.

Anyway, anyone who doesn't think Warner deserves to be or won't be selected into the HOF is either crazy, or isn't familiar with professional football, th eNFL in particular. Warner is a lock for the HOF. In fact he is a first ballot lock.

He has led the league in yards, TDs, completions, rating, yards per game, yds/attempt, completion % (3 years in a row). 4 Pro Bowls spanning 10 years. SB winner. SB MVP. NFL MVP (twice).

Clearly.

Anyway, anyone who doesn't think Warner deserves to be or won't be selected into the HOF is either crazy, or isn't familiar with professional football, th eNFL in particular. Warner is a lock for the HOF. In fact he is a first ballot lock.

He has led the league in yards, TDs, completions, rating, yards per game, yds/attempt, completion % (3 years in a row). 4 Pro Bowls spanning 10 years. SB winner. SB MVP. NFL MVP (twice).

I guess the only knock on Warner is he didn't have enough elite years. But I agree, he is a HOF. Same with a guy like Terrell Davis. I'd rather have 4 to 5 great years than 10 good to ok ones.

When I woke up this morning, I turned on the local sports talk radio station, where they are normally talking about nothing I care about...but Bucky Godboldt (former Longhorns assistant coach, and radio personality here in Austin) was talking about "partying with Jim Kelly, back in Miami"..."He was a hell of a partier, and a hell of a football player...who the hell does Donovan McNabb think he is, comparing himself to Jim Kelly?"

So, I do a search, and find this article...though I see no mention of McNabb himself comparing his career to Kelly's, some of his statements are absurd. And, I will admit, I was a huge McNabb fan at one time...but he is not a Hall Of Famer...unless Vinny Testeverde and Drew Bledsoe make it...IMO. What do you think?

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8286a1a0/article/donovan-mcnabb-believes-hes-a-hall-of-famer

liked him and wish we could have drafted him but he's not a HOFr.

liked him and wish we could have drafted him but he's not a HOFr.

He probably won't be, but he is really close IMO. He played with garbage and had a 2 to 1 td:int ratio and won a ton of games. If TO wasn't a complete piece of crap teammate, McNabb and him could have be one of the best combos ever.

Not a Hall of Famer. I don't think Philly enjoyed enough postseason success to warrant that selection.

Huh? I must have missed all the postseason success Philly had before McNabb. He led them to 5 conference championship games and one SB. He had a career record of 98-62-1 (6-13 the last 2 years). What more do you want from a draft pick? We as Bills fans would complain if our QB only got us to 5 championship games?