Okay, talk me out of Gilmore in the 1st.

After Martin's Pro Day and questions about Floyd's character, I'm starting to think Gilmore fits a need, and has the best chance of being the safest pick for the future, and for this year. I'm not seeing a whole lot of convincing downsides to Gilmore this year and in the future. Seems there will be a lot of possibilities in round 2 for an OT and lots of possibilities all the way through McNutt at WR. Somebody talk me out of it!

After Martin's Pro Day and questions about Floyd's character, I'm starting to think Gilmore fits a need, and has the best chance of being the safest pick for the future, and for this year. I'm not seeing a whole lot of convincing downsides to Gilmore this year and in the future. Seems there will be a lot of possibilities in round 2 for an OT and lots of possibilities all the way through McNutt at WR. Somebody talk me out of it!

I can't. Unless Ingram is there at #10 and the staff thinks he fits.

Gilmore is a baller.

Won't. As leery as I am about another McKelvin I don't think anyone will contend that it is a position of need and since I'm not sold on Martin or think that we can't fill the Z-receiver from our own ranks or in a later round I would be for it.

I'm not talking you out of Gilmore. I was one of the first to give him props when DraftTek's computer dialed him up for the Bills' then 42nd pick. I said then,

The savvy, hard-hitting Gilmore is an excellent pick, one that might just trump Aaron Williams’ RD2 selection last year. Compared with Williams, Gilmore has more height (he’s 6’2” to Williams’ generous 6’0”), better speed (4.40 to 4.56), better blitz skills, and similar change of direction (3.94 shuttle to 4.07, and 6.61 to 6.72 in the 3-cone). This speedy duo of aggressive cornerbacks would rival most NFL teams, and under McGee’s tutelage, Williams-Gilmore could rival the Bills’ all-time CB tandems. As a returner, Gilmore would also be taught by McGee, with his NFL’s third-highest-yards-per-return. Say goodbye to Leodis, Corner (a FA anyway), and possibly even DrayFlo if this is the pick here.

I am not opposed to Gilmore or Kirkpatrick as a CB at #10.

However, read this report on Floyd and character concerns From the AP.

I am not hijacking the thread...just want to make sure a lot of people see this on Floyd...

Can anyone honestly say when they were underage they didn't get drunk at least once? If so you're in the vast minority. In college I would love to see the actual statistic on this. By no means do I condone anything moronic behind the wheel of a vehicle. That said if Floyd hacked some ones arms off with an axe, I would be concerned. He sounds like a honor student compared to Marshawn Blunt.

What's all this praise with Williams? Every game I watched last year he got burnt or blew his coverage. CB is def a big position of need and if that's where they go first round so be it

yea, that's just false. he's got a ridiculous amount of natural ability.

Easy, since when has a corner ever been a make or break position? On the other hand, how often do top receivers propel QB's? Gilmore shouldn't even be a consideration at 10. We took a corner at 10 a few years ago who was supposed to be much safer than Gilmore and was the top DB in the draft. How did that turn out for us? Draft WR.

There's really no logical downside to Gilmore-- he might actually be the safest pick at #10, if he even slides that far. What he seems to represent, though, through no fault of his own, is a trend that's grown tired at One Bill's Drive: drafting talented, highly-productive defensive backs in the first round that fail to change the identity of the defense. Everyone knows that this took place under the old regime(s), but I speak for more than just myself when I say that I know what it's like to have a talented defensive backfield, and it never seemed enough to change the defensive culture, let alone the culture of the entire team. Talent among the front seven on defense, or along the offensive line, isn't more important than the defensive backfield, but it's novel, and would represent a significant change in direction from the previous era.

I think that's what inflects people's perception on free agency and the draft. They want to believe that something is changing, and a deep, penetrating defensive line, aggressive, talented LBs, and a strong offensive line all provide the appearance of change much more dramatically than another top-flight defensive back.

I'm not saying this is the right approach to take-- and it's NO reason not to draft Gilmore, but it might be a reason why some are shying away from him, and hoping for guys like Kuchely, Ingram, Upshaw, or the best available LT. We've been in this hole for a long time, and we want to believe our path for climbing out of it isn't the same path that's failed us before.

There's really no logical downside to Gilmore-- he might actually be the safest pick at #10, if he even slides that far. What he seems to represent, though, through no fault of his own, is a trend that's grown tired at One Bill's Drive: drafting talented, highly-productive defensive backs in the first round that fail to change the identity of the defense. Everyone knows that this took place under the old regime(s), but I speak for more than just myself when I say that I know what it's like to have a talented defensive backfield, and it never seemed enough to change the defensive culture, let alone the culture of the entire team. Talent among the front seven on defense, or along the offensive line, isn't more important than the defensive backfield, but it's novel, and would represent a significant change in direction from the previous era.

I think that's what inflects people's perception on free agency and the draft. They want to believe that something is changing, and a deep, penetrating defensive line, aggressive, talented LBs, and a strong offensive line all provide the appearance of change much more dramatically than another top-flight defensive back.

I'm not saying this is the right approach to take-- and it's NO reason not to draft Gilmore, but it might be a reason why some are shying away from him, and hoping for guys like Kuchely, Ingram, Upshaw, or the best available LT. We've been in this hole for a long time, and we want to believe our path for climbing out of it isn't the same path that's failed us before.

+1. McKelvin is causing some hesitation, but I remember drafting Price and Evans in the first round and while good they round themselves replaced by lower draft picks. Yet people have not ruled out a WR as a first round pick.

here's a legit reason for the OP. The reigning super bowl champs had their best CB go down in pre-season. their rookie 1st round CB was hurt early on and barely made an impact last year. did it matter? hardly. because their pass rush is so damn good, that it can make average DBs look incredible. I'm cool with the group of Williams, Florence, McGee, McLovin, Rogers. it's not an awful unit by any stretch. not to mention the fact that our starting safeties are a top 3 pair.

our WR's are worse IMO. Fitz has that shiny new contract. give him another weapon.

I'll try and talk you out of Gilmore.

Before he ran a 4.4 forty yard dash, everyone was staying that he couldn't stay with receivers on deep routes or double moves. I don't care what is forty yard dash time is, he still can't stay with receivers down field. He's not a good cover corner, period. He's more of a free-lancing player that plays well in zone schemes. He might be a very good safety in the NFL. Dre Kirkpatrick simply was not tested enough in college. Sure, he shut down Ruben Randel but that's not exactly a huge feat. The best corner on the board, on a talent level, will be Janoris Jenkins. Jenkins blanketed guys like Julio Jones, Alshon Jeffery, and AJ Green when he was a FRESHMAN at Florida. He's continued to get better at North Alabama and his film is amazing. He has character concerns. He got kicked off of Florida's team, so that is definitely a downer. However, all the guy did was smoke weed and get in a couple fights. If I'm Buddy Nix at number ten, I would do one of two things: 1) Trade Down and draft Mike Adams from Ohio State or 2) Draft Janoris Jenkins because he is the only guy talented enough to draft at 10.

here's a legit reason for the OP. The reigning super bowl champs had their best CB go down in pre-season. their rookie 1st round CB was hurt early on and barely made an impact last year. did it matter? hardly. because their pass rush is so damn good, that it can make average DBs look incredible. I'm cool with the group of Williams, Florence, McGee, McLovin, Rogers. it's not an awful unit by any stretch. not to mention the fact that our starting safeties are a top 3 pair.

our WR's are worse IMO. Fitz has that shiny new contract. give him another weapon.

Goog pass rush makes 4th rounders look like Deion. And I'm not ready to give up on McKelvin.

What if I told you you could get that shiny new WR (Mohamed Sanu) AND have Gilmore? Would you do it? A "quality" weapon WILL be there in the 2nd round.

I don't know if the Bills pass rush will be NY GIANT good, but it'll be good......now, couple Williams with Gilmore?!?!

That's cookin' with gas, bigdog!

What's all this praise with Williams? Every game I watched last year he got burnt or blew his coverage. CB is def a big position of need and if that's where they go first round so be it

Seriously? Did you just watch Pre Season Games and the Regular Season Games until he got hurt? Because by the end of the Season William may very well have been The Bills best Defender overall...

That being said I think it's even more reason to Draft Gilmore...It would give The Bills a heck of a good young tandem for years and years to come... B-)

I would love Gilmore. But I don't know if I just didn't notice Williams or what but I remember him blowing some pretty big plays

Early on he did...But he was also a Rookie...By the end of the year he was making a lot of REAL nice plays...He came on big time...and believe me I was the most surprised...I gave the Kid a REAL hard time early on last year...But he won me over... B-)

+1. McKelvin is causing some hesitation, but I remember drafting Price and Evans in the first round and while good they round themselves replaced by lower draft picks. Yet people have not ruled out a WR as a first round pick.

Price went in the second. Winfield went first in that draft. :thumbsup:

Edited by MOVALLEYRANDY

About 2 weeks ago, I mentioned to my brother that I thought Gilmore would be the pick, being a USC guy I've seen alot of tape on Gilmore. Ideally, I'd like to move down a few spots maybe pick up an extra 3rd, but if he's the pick @10 I'm good with that. He projects very well as a pro and is a very good zone corner. The WR group is much deeper than CB, and I'd rather have Gilmore and Jeffrey as opposed to Floyd / ?, add in a qb like cousins or osweiler, Wilson later on and another LT prospect and we got a solid draft.

Come on. I need better than that. I need some reasons not to choose him, and no one is helping!

The only reason not to take him is if someone better is still availble. I would rather go LT, OLB, WR, DE and maybe even QB before CB. But if he is the guy Buddy rates highest, that will be a fine pick, especially if he turns out to be a player.

I'm going to join the parade of "I can'ts". Seems like he's a Nix style player at a position of need with fewer warts than many of the other possible draft choices.

If he's a quality DB we could have one heck of a pass defense. LBs? Pretty weak. Hopefully strong enough to keep opponents from running down our throat.

Here's all I've got for you Simple--while we do need to add a CB our position of greatest need is LT. While Martin and Reiff both need to develop they can start from day one and will do at least as well as Hairston. However, the experts all agree that they will develop into starting quality LTs which is not the case with Hairston or the other LTs available later. In contrast, there's more depth at CB and WR (for those so inclined) so we can grab them later and still get quality (e.g., as someone mentiond Sanu at WR in the 2nd (he's like Hakeem Nicks perfect complement for Stevie) and at CB a Dwight Bentley, Josh Robinson--if Minnifield is medically cleared he could be a bargain much later). In the end, to not shore up LT with the best quality player (even if he is a slight reach but one that can be justified based on the supply/demand) would be inconsistent with the resignings and FA signings which are win sooner not win later moves. Can we really be as competitive as possible NOW with Zebrie Sanders or Brandon Mosley or Nate Potter protecting the blindside over Martin or Reiff? Hairston's not our LT according to what's been said in the offseason. And did I mention that Martin is such a fine young man from a fine family (pulling out all the stops!).

Did I talk you out of it Simple? Gave it my best shot (though my heart's not in it as much as it was a few weeks ago!).

Edited by biggerdaddynj

Gilmore is a bit of a raw prospect, in terms of coverage skills and physical bulk. This is why he's generally thought to be more of a late first round pick instead of a top 10 pick. Maybe NFL-caliber coaching and weight training will correct these issues, but it's still a risk.

We also don't know how Buddy Nix feels about Martin and Floyd, relative to all the other LT's and WR's in the draft. The roster holes at these positions are much greater than at CB.

But based on how Buddy Nix handled the DB positions in last year's draft (Williams, Searcy, Rogers), he has earned my full support in whatever he decides to do with Gilmore. When you look at what the Patriots have done in free agency this offseason, you can't help but think that 5 quality CB's on the roster may not be enough in this division.

I like Gilmore better than Kirkpatrick. I just hate taking corners in the first. I would interview Floyd. I think this draft is more common than not. A draft where there is not a clear cut pick at 10. This is why you have scouts and you have to trust their judgement.

While Martin and Reiff both need to develop they can start from day one

Mike Mayock does not agree with you on this. Just sayin.

Bottom line for me, In Buddy I Trust. I believe he will have done his homework with the coaches and will have determined how to make the best impact with this roster, at #10. Even if it's BPA. Buddy's said many times, he will not reach for a position of need as that only sets you back further.

Here's all I've got for you Simple--while we do need to add a CB our position of greatest need is LT. While Martin and Reiff both need to develop they can start from day one and will do at least as well as Hairston. However, the experts all agree that they will develop into starting quality LTs which is not the case with Hairston or the other LTs available later. In contrast, there's more depth at CB and WR (for those so inclined) so we can grab them later and still get quality (e.g., as someone mentiond Sanu at WR in the 2nd (he's like Hakeem Nicks perfect complement for Stevie) and at CB a Dwight Bentley, Josh Robinson--if Minnifield is medically cleared he could be a bargain much later). In the end, to not shore up LT with the best quality player (even if he is a slight reach but one that can be justified based on the supply/demand) would be inconsistent with the resignings and FA signings which are win sooner not win later moves. Can we really be as competitive as possible NOW with Zebrie Sanders or Brandon Mosley or Nate Potter protecting the blindside over Martin or Reiff? Hairston's not our LT according to what's been said in the offseason. And did I mention that Martin is such a fine young man from a fine family (pulling out all the stops!).

Did I talk you out of it Simple? Gave it my best shot (though my heart's not in it as much as it was a few weeks ago!).

Actually, Martin has "experts" questioning whether he'll be a good OT period in the NFL, while with Reiff it's whether he can be a LT. Hardly ringing endorsements for either player.

I'll try and talk you out of Gilmore.

Before he ran a 4.4 forty yard dash, everyone was staying that he couldn't stay with receivers on deep routes or double moves. I don't care what is forty yard dash time is, he still can't stay with receivers down field. He's not a good cover corner, period. He's more of a free-lancing player that plays well in zone schemes. He might be a very good safety in the NFL. Dre Kirkpatrick simply was not tested enough in college. Sure, he shut down Ruben Randel but that's not exactly a huge feat. The best corner on the board, on a talent level, will be Janoris Jenkins. Jenkins blanketed guys like Julio Jones, Alshon Jeffery, and AJ Green when he was a FRESHMAN at Florida. He's continued to get better at North Alabama and his film is amazing. He has character concerns. He got kicked off of Florida's team, so that is definitely a downer. However, all the guy did was smoke weed and get in a couple fights. If I'm Buddy Nix at number ten, I would do one of two things: 1) Trade Down and draft Mike Adams from Ohio State or 2) Draft Janoris Jenkins because he is the only guy talented enough to draft at 10.

What worries me about JJ is that going to north alabama is supposed to be your come to Jesus and get your football life back on track. The coaches one rule is to be straight with him, and JJ forgot to mention all his kids. I don't know, but lying to the coach about something so bold reeeeally turned me off to his story about getting things straight by going to NA

Really, where was it last season? Hecouldnt even keep up with receivers, couldn't make up ground

Funny how he shot up from second rounder to top ten discussion without playing a snap.

His combine literally changed the discussion up a full round to the top of the draft here. Yet no one thinks that there are any warts on him based on the film. I haven't seen a lot of games, and dont trust highlight reels but my gut tells me that downfield speed didn't show up until he got pulled of the field and put on a track.

That said, even to be in talk in the second means he's a very talented player.

Actually, Martin has "experts" questioning whether he'll be a good OT period in the NFL, while with Reiff it's whether he can be a LT. Hardly ringing endorsements for either player.

I don't think either is even being considered at #10 at this point. I'm sure they were, homework was done and have moved on.

After Claiborne, who we don’t have a shot at, I see three quality CBs left in the draft, Gilmore, Kirkpatrick and Jenkins. Of them I see Gilmore is the best fit for the Bills.

I don’t see any of them lasting till the Bills 2nd round pick. After them I don’t see a CB left in the draft with a reasonable chance of turning out to be a top quality CB and being so in their first year.

I really believe the Bills greatest need is LT. But Reiff, Martin and Adams just all seem too flawed for a #10 pick. And we all know there is no way Kalil will even make it past the top 5. I don’t see any of them as much of a sure thing. I see Sanders and the rest of the 2nd – 3rd rounders as not that much of a drop off in potential for success.

While I believe Floyd will be the technically BPA and is a position of need, I really believe the difference in talent between him and the huge pool of talented receivers for the 2nd round is not really that great. Hill, Jeffrey, Sanu, Randle, Streeter, even McNutt in later rounds all seem to have the potential to be true contributors to the team, and it appears more than a couple will still be there to choose from when the Bills 2nd round pick is up.

Thanks for the responses. The true first round talent this year is about 6 or 7 picks deep, and then it seems everyone else is more like 2nd round talent. And we pick at #10. So that is my dilemma, this is one year I’m glad I am not responsible for making the draft choices. Glad the pressure is not on me, it is a tough year for Nix and company to have a #10. So much pressure, so little chance of finding sure thing talent, and so many high expectations from all of us.

I'm not talking you out of Gilmore. I was one of the first to give him props when DraftTek's computer dialed him up for the Bills' then 42nd pick. I said then,

The savvy, hard-hitting Gilmore is an excellent pick, one that might just trump Aaron Williams’ RD2 selection last year. Compared with Williams, Gilmore has more height (he’s 6’2” to Williams’ generous 6’0”), better speed (4.40 to 4.56), better blitz skills, and similar change of direction (3.94 shuttle to 4.07, and 6.61 to 6.72 in the 3-cone). This speedy duo of aggressive cornerbacks would rival most NFL teams, and under McGee’s tutelage, Williams-Gilmore could rival the Bills’ all-time CB tandems. As a returner, Gilmore would also be taught by McGee, with his NFL’s third-highest-yards-per-return. Say goodbye to Leodis, Corner (a FA anyway), and possibly even DrayFlo if this is the pick here.

So you're going to say a second year player who blew a lot of plays, combined with a rookie (Who many have rated as fourth best behind Mo, Kirkpatrick, and Jenkins) would rival most NFL teams? No way.

This guy wasn't considered a first round pick before the combine. I personally have him as my 3rd best corner in the draft and does not warrant a top 10 grade. Nix is going BPA, so I'd be very surprised if he gets taken with our tenth overall pick. I feel as if we're just buying into the hype, and no way would he and Williams give us one of the best CB tandems in the league right off the bat.

If you look the first rounds of the last 5 or so drafts, there has been way more guys that have not lived up to expectations, than to guys who have played like first round picks. We must not forget that McKelvin was the highest rated corner in the draft, and there were very few mocks that had him lasting to Buffalo at 11.

And to the OP, to answer your question: Luke Kuechly. I could go on and on about this guy, but all I'll say about him is that he started all 3 years, named the ACC defensive rookie of the year, had 533 tackles in 3 years, and was the 2011 Dick Butkus winner. He has the perfect size, some of the best tape I've ever seen for a linebacker, better combine numbers than Patrick Willis, and record breaking production. He's our best chance of covering Gronk, and would be an absolute stud behind our revamped line. The kid is only 20 years old, and I have no clue why this guy isn't exploding these boards with threads about him being the unanimous favorite for our first pick.