Trayvon Martin Case

fjl2nd

Fair enough Alaska.....

And fair enough Rob.... I get it

But the situation just seems a little improbable IMO. The whole start a fight w a random stranger strikes me as odd FWIW.

Starting a fight w someone chasing u w a gun sounds more probable but I guess that's just me

It's all over now though...congrats to the GZ heads. Justice has been served Florida style.

They are looking to charge him with a hate crime so I doubt this is far from over.

If anything GZ's grand kids will be paying off the legal fees.

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

RACISM IN AMERICA: Black Man With Pistol Permit Shoots White Teen, Is Acquitted.

If I was the prosecutor I would have gone after him as hard as possible - I'm a big supporter of the 2nd amendment but shouldn't the right to bear arms come with some judgement and a sense of proportionality- on a visit to do a behavioral evaluation I had about 4 dollars of toll change taken by two skinny kids- I was pissed but being in the middle of things couldn't do much except yell then close and lock my car doors- I was pissed but what would have never even entered my mind is chasing them down with a gun or even chasing them down and giving them a beating, I would have liked reporting them to their parents - I really don't understand why some people now are so obsessed with their safety, so twitchy and hyper-reactive - crime peaked in the early 1980's and I don't remember any such state of fear then like death was lurking behind every corner - since then crime rates have steadily gone down, murder rates are less than half what they were at their peak and all violent crime is down- people seem to have no rationality about what is likely to harm them, you are 4x more likely to die from lightning than a terrorist attack and thousands to hundreds of thousands of more times likely to die from things like medical errors, obesity, prescription drugs and job stress- yet we are willing to spend hundreds of billions of dollars and give up our Constitutional protections for some tiny measure of extra security against something less likely to harm you than bee stings or a toddler jumping on you, why aren't we putting targets on real threats like pastry chefs, pharmacists, and pointy headed bosses- I just feel like a lot of people have lost their damn minds but I guess there is nothing illegal about that.

If I was the prosecutor I would have gone after him as hard as possible - I'm a big supporter of the 2nd amendment but shouldn't the right to bear arms come with some judgement and a sense of proportionality- on a visit to do a behavioral evaluation I had about 4 dollars of toll change taken by two skinny kids- I was pissed but being in the middle of things couldn't do much except yell then close and lock my car doors- I was pissed but what would have never even entered my mind is chasing them down with a gun or even chasing them down and giving them a beating, I would have liked reporting them to their parents - I really don't understand why some people now are so obsessed with their safety, so twitchy and hyper-reactive - crime peaked in the early 1980's and I don't remember any such state of fear then like death was lurking behind every corner - since then crime rates have steadily gone down, murder rates are less than half what they were at their peak and all violent crime is down- people seem to have no rationality about what is likely to harm them, you are 4x more likely to die from lightning than a terrorist attack and thousands to hundreds of thousands of more times likely to die from things like medical errors, obesity, prescription drugs and job stress- yet we are willing to spend hundreds of billions of dollars and give up our Constitutional protections for some tiny measure of extra security against something less likely to harm you than bee stings or a toddler jumping on you, why aren't we putting targets on real threats like pastry chefs, pharmacists, and pointy headed bosses- I just feel like a lot of people have lost their damn minds but I guess there is nothing illegal about that.

Keep in mind that you also didn't have reddit/twitter/PPP to keep you posted on how twitchy and fearful everyone has become.

Lost their minds? When I was growing up, residents of neighborhoods regularly asked people they didn't recognize who they were and what they were doing - especially at night. Of course, 16 or 17 year old kids who weren't up to no good weren't afraid to talk to people, either, and they certainly wouldn't immediately resort to violence when they were within visual distance of their own home.

This is the world that liberal "thought" has given us. Don't worry, the average person's self esteem is at an all time high.

During the Depression my dad lived in an integrated neighbor, everyone was poor. If you got in a fight with someone from another race, both families were told and your dad would whip your but no matter what race.

Lost their minds? When I was growing up, residents of neighborhoods regularly asked people they didn't recognize who they were and what they were doing - especially at night.

We do it all the time in our neighborhood to this day. A strange vehicle on the corner, or a strange person walking the neighborhood, either gets questioned by one of us or sometimes the wives call local police on the non-emergency line they gave us.

As long as our neighborhood is filled with children, and as long as whackjobs don't think twice about abducting children, we'll be as safe as we need to be.

"We should ask ourselves if we're doing all we can to stem the tide of gun violence that claims too many lives across this country on a daily basis. We should ask ourselves as individuals and as a society, how we can prevent future tragedies like this. …That's the way to honor Trayvon Martin." -- Pres. Obama (July 14) calling for more Gun Control.

In 1926 Detroit Dr Ossian Sweet stood his ground against a racist mob trying to force a black man(him) out of "their" white neighborhood.

tlg.gif

Dr. Sweet was acquitted of murder.

Less than 3 weeks later the first gun control bills were introduced in the Michigan state legislature.

The dems have a long history of using Gun Control, and of racism.

http://en.wikipedia....ki/Ossian_Sweet

Michigan Public Acts, 1927 - No. 372 pdf_icon.gifJun, 1927

Michigan gun-control statute enacted after the Sweet trials. Although race neutral on its face it was enacted to keep blacks from owning firearms.

Keep in mind that you also didn't have reddit/twitter/PPP to keep you posted on how twitchy and fearful everyone has become.

That's true but I have real life experiences with it too, traveled with my brother and two cousins last year and my cousins were so nervous about terrorist and after that car jackings that by the end it really took a lot of fun out of the trip. I also have a brother-in-law who is a gun nut , who goes on about his different guns like they're a cross between classic cars,and beautiful women, with geek baseball like statistics thrown in for good measure - he talks about what he'd do if they had an home invasion all the time- I'd like to say dude you live in cow country 50 miles at least from a decent urban center, nobodies coming to steal your goodies, I'd like to say that but he's heavily armed so I guess that's a point in his favor.

Lost their minds? When I was growing up, residents of neighborhoods regularly asked people they didn't recognize who they were and what they were doing - especially at night. Of course, 16 or 17 year old kids who weren't up to no good weren't afraid to talk to people, either, and they certainly wouldn't immediately resort to violence when they were within visual distance of their own home.

This is the world that liberal "thought" has given us. Don't worry, the average person's self esteem is at an all time high.

same type of neighborhood I grew up in - but no one was slow driving behind kids (in fact a person doing that might have been chased) and most people were not running around armed.

We do it all the time in our neighborhood to this day. A strange vehicle on the corner, or a strange person walking the neighborhood, either gets questioned by one of us or sometimes the wives call local police on the non-emergency line they gave us.

About 8 years ago, there was a rash of theft from mailboxes in my neighborhood (the mailboxes are facing the street, not on the house). One day I happened to be home and I saw a car driving slowly by the mailboxes, opening each one up, then moving onto the next one. I ran outside, camera in hand, and asked them to stop touching the mailboxes and I started taking pictures of their car, their license plate number, and their faces. The driver started yelling at me, telling me I'm breaking the law, and I calmly told him that he's actually the one violating a law by putting things inside the mailboxes and that he better stop. He got pissed off and drove away from the neighborhood.

If he decided to punch me in the face, would everyone here be saying it was my fault and that I should've just stayed in my house?

That's true but I have real life experiences with it too, traveled with my brother and two cousins last year and my cousins were so nervous about terrorist and after that car jackings that by the end it really took a lot of fun out of the trip.

My wife and I had our honeymoon a month after 9/11 -- and we flew to London. We had relatives telling us to cancel the trip because it's not safe to fly. I told them, "Screw that - I'm not letting some terrorists take away my first overseas trip!" :D

If he decided to punch me in the face, would everyone here be saying it was my fault and that I should've just stayed in my house?

No but isn't that the same thing as the record companies following someone who steals music out of electronic mailboxes? Should the record companies just stay in their house?

My wife and I had our honeymoon a month after 9/11 -- and we flew to London. We had relatives telling us to cancel the trip because it's not safe to fly. I told them, "Screw that - I'm not letting some terrorists take away my first overseas trip!" :D

Good for you, the way you beat terrorist is to not live in fear and to return to the values that made us great.

Strong fiscal conservatism, international non-interventionism, and sound money?

I never would have guessed that ...lybob was a Ron Paul guy.

I would have said Constitutional freedoms/human rights, rule of law, expansive optimism, cooperative development, respect for sovereignty and leading by example-economics is down the line for me but to each his own emphasis.

I would have said Constitutional freedoms/human rights, rule of law, expansive optimism, cooperative development, respect for sovereignty and leading by example-economics is down the line for me but to each his own emphasis.

Cooperative development? Expansive optimism??? Really? Those are bad bumper-sticker slogans, not values.