Buddy's Plan for Left Tackle

Owen

Left tackle is the 2nd most important position next to QB...

Right now, OLT Bell has been offered a contract that the Bills can live with...

It may or may not be what Bell wants... Unfortunately for him he is injuried too often to make starter money.

Bills need a quality Left Tackle that is not only good but durable...

That is why I believe they will draft one with their 10th pick even if Bell re-signs...

I looked at the top Left tackles..

Matt Kail will be gone before the Bills select...

Riley Reiff is tough as hell but has short arms and is better suited for guard

Jonathan Martin has all the qualification for a starting LT but some say he is soft. Warning sign for lack of heart

Mike Adams is there for a starting LT position... Has all the qualifications... but will be picked at the lower end of the 1st round...

The LT I like who I think Buddy would pick at #10 has 6'5' height...346 lbs...10 inch hands, 35" plus arms,84 5/8 wing span, dominate work ethic, powerful and mobile with good balance..He can play OLT or guard... comes from a good southern school where Buddy likes to pick them... His name is Cordy Glenn... Watch him go up in the charts.

I like the pick of left tackle here because in rounds 2 thru 4 there are quality WRs, CBs and OLBs to choose from.

Fixing the O-line should be a top priority this year and getting any one of those LTs whom Buddy likes hopefully will be the right move... But Buddy has to really like him at #10...

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with you.

In an interview less then a month ago, Budday stated he does not want to reach for a DE at 10.

Now with the Mario signing, he for sure doesn't have to do that.

The Bills did make Bell an offer, he did not counter supposedly. He is testing the waters...and good for him.

LT should be the pick as the roster stands right now. And if Buddy really likes one of the LT. Not sure about Glenn, watch a lot of UGA games. He is a big physical guy, and very athletic. If the Bills could turn Bell and Peters into a starting LT think about what they could do with a first round guy? Ha

OT not a sexy choice, but I wouldn't mind it now that we have signed our pass rush beast Mario Williams. I'd still like to see Bell re-sign so that we can draft Melvin Ingram or Michael Floyd, but if that doesn't happen than OT is the necessary pick to make. The only question I have is is if said OT is the BPA at 10.

It may or may not be what Bell wants... Unfortunately for him he is injuried too often to make starter money.

That is why I believe they will draft one with their 10th pick even if Bell re-signs...

Jonathan Martin has all the qualification for a starting LT but some say he is soft. Warning sign for lack of heart

Mike Adams is there for a starting LT position... Has all the qualifications... but will be picked at the lower end of the 1st round...

The LT I like who I think Buddy would pick at #10 has 6'5' height...346 lbs...10 inch hands, 35" plus arms,84 5/8 wing span, dominate work ethic, powerful and mobile with good balance..He can play OLT or guard... comes from a good southern school where Buddy likes to pick them... His name is Cordy Glenn... Watch him go up in the charts.

I like the pick of left tackle here because in rounds 2 thru 4 there are quality WRs, CBs and OLBs to choose from.

Fixing the O-line should be a top priority this year and getting any one of those LTs whom Buddy likes hopefully will be the right move... But Buddy has to really like him at #10...

I dont' know if it truly is Buddy's plan as the title insinuates, but I will say that given the talent and our true NEED at LT, I would like to see the BILLS draft a LT if in fact they stay in the #10 spot. As for Glenn, he's built extremely well for the LT position, but the problem I see is that all I've read (which isn't much) is that his projection is far better as a Guard in the NFL than a tackle. If in fact Nix believes Glenn can play LT and do it well, not only for the physical attributes but for an understanding of his role in the Offense also, then I'm good with it. I think LT is going to be the pick merely because of where we stand in the "Need" department and where the talent level lies at the #10 spot....others have mentioned WR, such as Floyd, but I don't believe we "Need" a WR as much in the #10 spot. That's not to say I don't think we NEED another WR, I just don't believe it's value belies the 10th overall pick. That being said, CB,WR, and LB are also all definite necessities in one form or another.

What is with he Left Tackle mafia around here lately? LT is NOT the 2nd most important position in the game. Not even close. Joe Thomas, Jake Long, Michael Roos and Jason Peters are the consensus best tackles year after year in the NFL and they never take their teams to the playoffs. A QB who makes quick decisions and has good pocket presence makes his Oline look a lot better.

Here is a stat for you. There hasn't been a OT picked in the first round to start in the super bowl in since 2007. Great teams pick impact players up near the top of the draft.

I say take the best available player between LT, WR and RDE. I still hold out hope for signing Bell to a contract with incentives tied to playing time. I would think that a short deal like this could potentially benefit Bell as well because if he can show that he can stay healthy for a couple of seasons then he may garner more interest on the open market.

I agree with you.

In an interview less then a month ago, Budday stated he does not want to reach for a DE at 10.

Now with the Mario signing, he for sure doesn't have to do that.

The Bills did make Bell an offer, he did not counter supposedly. He is testing the waters...and good for him.

LT should be the pick as the roster stands right now. And if Buddy really likes one of the LT. Not sure about Glenn, watch a lot of UGA games. He is a big physical guy, and very athletic. If the Bills could turn Bell and Peters into a starting LT think about what they could do with a first round guy? Ha

That sounds logical, but there is a reason why sometimes a diamond in the rough is found in the later rounds. The guys at the top of the draft are pretty much known quantities. Guys that have played that position for a while, shown what the can do, have received top notch coaching at big schools, and have played top flight competition. That's how they get rated high. Guys like Bell and Peters are guys that maybe changed position late in college, played at smaller schools, didn't receive the top level coaching or conditioning etc., but showed good athleticism and room for development. They are much higher risk selections because they are drafted for POTENTIAL. Most don't start as rookies, and most don't pan out...

Edited by Matthews' Bag

What is with he Left Tackle mafia around here lately? LT is NOT the 2nd most important position in the game. Not even close. Joe Thomas, Jake Long, Michael Roos and Jason Peters are the consensus best tackles year after year in the NFL and they never take their teams to the playoffs. A QB who makes quick decisions and has good pocket presence makes his Oline look a lot better.

Here is a stat for you. There hasn't been a OT picked in the first round to start in the super bowl in since 2007. Great teams pick impact players up near the top of the draft.

I could be wrong, but weren't both starting OTs for Green Bay in 2011 first rounders? I know Bulaga was, wasn't Clifton as well? Also Giants' RT Kareem McKenzie was a first rounder. Pretty sure Levi Brown started for the cardinals in 2009 as well. I'd look it up, but I'm on my mobile right now...sorry.

Not sure your point is valid.

I agree that LT makes sense. There is a lot that goes into these types of choices. I think it is often overlooked as a real motivator for 1st round choices: certain positions, hard to fill positions of real significance on an nfl roster, are way, way cheaper to fill via draft than in F.A. - QB, LT, DE, CB - these are the four that usually fill up the top of round 1. Not only does a team get a young talent to develop in their system, but they get that roster spot filled without having to pay market value. Compare a team that has filled it's QB, DE, and CB/LT positions in the draft to a team that has filled those spots in F.A. - one team will have a great team with cap room to spare, and the other will be like the Redskins - constantly trying to get creative with money.

I think the Bills really try to fill those expensive positions through the draft to avoid having to compete with the market. And, if you go by that strategy, LT makes a lot of sense for our first pick, or CB, depending on the talent available.

Edited by sllib olaffub

Riley Reiff is tough as hell but has short arms and is better suited for guardJonathan Martin has all the qualification for a starting LT but some say he is soft. Warning sign for lack of heart

How short, like NUBS?

So draft him and try him at LT. If he doesn't work out, put him to guard?

That sounds logical, but there is a reason why sometimes a diamond in the rough is found in the later rounds. The guys at the top of the draft are pretty much known quantities. Guys that have played that position for a while, shown what the can do, have received top notch coaching at big schools, and have played top flight competition. That's how they get rated high. Guys like Bell and Peters are guys that maybe changed position late in college, played at smaller schools, didn't receive the top level coaching or conditioning etc., but showed good athleticism and room for development. They are much higher risk selections because they are drafted for POTENTIAL. Most don't start as rookies, and most don't pan out...

I know it was a joke.

But i do think LT is the biggest area of need with the most first round talent available.

What if Bell came back to the Bills and they work out a good deal? Similar to a McGee, good base and then pay for play contract.

Would anyone wanna then offer Mike Wallace a contract? Knowing you would lose your First Rd this year?

I could be wrong, but weren't both starting OTs for Green Bay in 2011 first rounders? I know Bulaga was, wasn't Clifton as well? Also Giants' RT Kareem McKenzie was a first rounder. Pretty sure Levi Brown started for the cardinals in 2009 as well. I'd look it up, but I'm on my mobile right now...sorry.

Not sure your point is valid.

We are talking about LT's. Btw, McKenzie was a 3rd pick and Clifton, who started at LT in the SB was a 2nd rd pick.

It's a very valid point because it shows that you don't need to reach for OTs high in the draft. Jonathan Scott and Wayne Gandy were train wrecks in Buffalo. Why? Because Trent and JP couldn't read defenses and sat in the pocket all day long. However, they both played in SBs the year after they left Buffalo protecting Kurt Warner and BB. QBs make their Oline look good. Fitz made this Oline look better this year too.

And another thing: there are other positions the Bills will certainly want to add dynamic greatness to: LB, QB, CB, WR - if there were an exceptional talent there (like a LB who could take the defense on his shoulders and lead - a Patrick Willis type player) they'd grab him.

I say take the best available player between LT, WR and RDE. I still hold out hope for signing Bell to a contract with incentives tied to playing time. I would think that a short deal like this could potentially benefit Bell as well because if he can show that he can stay healthy for a couple of seasons then he may garner more interest on the open market.

Ditto. The incentive based contract gives players motivation to make the most they can, by playing the most, and best they can.

Even though he may be rising, I just can't see Cordy Glenn being worth the 10th pick in the draft. Like Reiff, he may be better suited for guard. The only OT I like in the first round is Kalil and he would cost at least the 2nd round pick to move up to #3 to get him.

I've seen the point about LOT's in Super Bowls before, but the missing stat is how many other players those teams tried to fill in at LOT before they found one? The Bills could pick one later and he could turn out to be better than Hairston or he could be another Ed Wang.

As far as trading up to take Kalil, what would be lost if only the 2nd round pick was given up? A SLB like Terrell Lewis, maybe? It may be worth it, it might not be.

And another thing: there are other positions the Bills will certainly want to add dynamic greatness to: LB, QB, CB, WR - if there were an exceptional talent there (like a LB who could take the defense on his shoulders and lead - a Patrick Willis type player) they'd grab him.

I agree with your posts in this thread.

Sam Bowie or Michael Jordan?

Nuff' said.

Wouldn't having a guy that could pass block and run block and stay healthy and anchor the edge of the line without needing help have an impact? There really is no question about it.

Wouldn't having a guy that could pass block and run block and stay healthy and anchor the edge of the line without needing help have an impact? There really is no question about it.

Have you looked around at the AFC east lately? There is not one great edge rusher on any teams (except Buffalo hopefully). You don't need a great OT in an offensive scheme that is built off of the 3 step drop game. Slants, speed cuts, screens are our bread and butter because those are Fitz's strengths. He is not a 5 step QB. He can't throw the deep ball to save his life so he doesn't need 5 seconds in the pocket. It's unbelievable that some people cant understand this.

Just my humble opinion here, but to me it's looking more like Buddy's plan at LT is to re-sign Bell, develop Hairston, and have Levitre/Urbik as depth in an injury/disaster situation. That actually would then make drafting another guard in round one a sensible (though not a terribly popular) move. However, if Buddy does draft a guard in round one, you can bet it's not gonna be Glenn - the 2ndbest ranked guard and a round-2 pick on most boards.

It'd be Stanford's David DeCastro - big, mean, smart, athletic, and equally strong in both run-blocking and pass-protection...and probably the most highly rated interior offensive lineman in the draft in at least a decade...a guy who would be equally effective maintaining the pocket for Fitz or busting open huge holes for Jackson/Spiller...

GO BILLSSS!!!!

"I expect to be undefeated...I expect to win every game." - Chan Gailey

19 and 0 baby!!!!! B-)

post-2970-050604300 1332083619_thumb.jpg

Edited by The Senator

Matt Light was a second round pick, and is still kicking ass 11 years later. Now. I urge you to examine the first round picks of the patsies since they picked Light. http://www.drafthistory.com/index.php/teams/patriots

How many would you rather have than Light?

My point? Light would have been worth a #10. Do you think that the patsies, as great as Brady is, would have enjoyed the same success with Langston Walker, Greg Jerman, or Bell on a gurney playing LT? I make the case that this would be an impossibility.

I also once again bring up the dirty little secret of playing in the elements. This winter was great, but how about next season, and the one after that. I have been to games at RWS where passing was all but out of the question, and 2 of our divisional opponents play in the cold as well. Even in this new passing league, running will always mean just a bit more to the Bills than it does to most other teams. Exceptions? Sure, the Packers. Farve could throw through a tornado, and Rodgers looks like he will be in the hall of fame.

This post is not to dismiss yours as rubbish. You DO raise some valid points. I just think that it isn't as simple as you present it, and I believe that a top quality LT would be a HUGE boost to the Bills.

Edited by Bill from NYC

Have you looked around at the AFC east lately? There is not one great edge rusher on any teams (except Buffalo hopefully). You don't need a great OT in an offensive scheme that is built off of the 3 step drop game. Slants, speed cuts, screens are our bread and butter because those are Fitz's strengths. He is not a 5 step QB. He can't throw the deep ball to save his life so he doesn't need 5 seconds in the pocket. It's unbelievable that some people cant understand this.

You misunderstand me. I'm not saying they can't get by without the best LT in the NFL on the roster. They showed last year that Gailey knows how to coach around weaknesses. But, you said a LT has no impact. That isn't a good argument. Having a great LT may not be essential, but having one does have an impact and would let the Bills run a more varied offense. Think of it this way: would you rather constantly coach around a weakness or be able to design plays knowing you had a strength in that spot? Again, there is really no comparison when you look at it that way. Still, if you are of the opinion that the Bills did not fill all of their holes with Mario Williams and that there are other priorities besides LT then you may also have a good point... B-)

If they do re-sign Bell I don't see LT as a huge need. I mean, it could be upgraded, sure. But the difference between Bell/Hairston and Reiff/Martin/Adams just isn't as large as say, Donald Jones and Micheal Floyd. Buddy is a BPA guy and will swing for the fences on a franchise caliber weapon if thats what he thinks he sees (see: Spiller, CJ).

You misunderstand me. I'm not saying they can't get by without the best LT in the NFL on the roster. They showed last year that Gailey knows how to coach around weaknesses. But, you said a LT has no impact. That isn't a good argument. Having a great LT may not be essential, but having one does have an impact and would let the Bills run a more varied offense. Think of it this way: would you rather constantly coach around a weakness or be able to design plays knowing you had a strength in that spot? Again, there is really no comparison when you look at it that way. Still, if you are of the opinion that the Bills did not fill all of their holes with Mario Williams and that there are other priorities besides LT then you may also have a good point... B-)

There certainly are valid points to be made for an OT. But I look at the Giants and what they've been able to do with their pass rush. They have Tuck and Osi and they decided to draft MK and JPP in the first round. They know they have a QB who doesn't hold onto the ball and has good pocket mobility and those are both strengths of Fitz. They've had great success against the Pats and we haven't. The Bills didn't beat the Pats with 5 step drops, we beat them with screens and slants that went for big yardage. Again, the Bills offense is built on getting the ball out quickly. And we drove Brady nuts that game by getting in throwing lanes and making him move in the pocket.

Last point. Look at what guys like Mathews did last year for the Pack. He made THE game changing play in the SB coming off the edge and changed the game. Tuck in this years super bowl getting a safety on the first drive. Woodley and Harrison dominating the Cards. If there is an impact edge player at #10, which I think Ingram is, then he is going to do a lot more for this team than an OT. Just my opinion.

Pretty solid points.

I agree that LT is a def need, but there isn't one worth taking at 10 this year...take one of the second or third tier guys and see if they can excel?..btw, Clifton was a second round pick

Just my humble opinion here, but to me it's looking more like Buddy's plan at LT is to re-sign Bell, develop Hairston, and have Levitre/Urbik as depth in an injury/disaster situation. That actually would then make drafting another guard in round one a sensible (though not a terribly popular) move. However, if Buddy does draft a guard in round one, you can bet it's not gonna be Glenn - the 2ndbest ranked guard and a round-2 pick on most boards.

It'd be Stanford's David DeCastro - big, mean, smart, athletic, and equally strong in both run-blocking and pass-protection...and probably the most highly rated interior offensive lineman in the draft in at least a decade...a guy who would be equally effective maintaining the pocket for Fitz or busting open huge holes for Jackson/Spiller...

GO BILLSSS!!!!

19 and 0 baby!!!!! B-)

Didn't the Giants left tackle (Deihl, I think) start at guard for years before making the switch? Would Levitre be serviceable at LT. Not great, but serviceable? Dunno. That's the only way I see DeCastro in the mix. But if he is truly the BPA, he will be the pick.

Didn't the Giants left tackle (Deihl, I think) start at guard for years before making the switch? Would Levitre be serviceable at LT. Not great, but serviceable? Dunno. That's the only way I see DeCastro in the mix. But if he is truly the BPA, he will be the pick.

This scenario is precisely why I brought up Levitre in this thread...

Levitre/DeCastro/Wood....

That's a nice little trio...

The Giants left tackle is Beatty, a second round pick out of UConn. Diehl moved to tackle after Beatty got hurt. I absolutely do not want the Bills to reach for a tackle because of need. In the first round, they should draft the best player available, outside of guard or running back.

I would be happy if they draft a young player and sign a veteran so the young player can develop. Just like wide receiver, offensive linemen take time to develop. Even wide receivers are going to take time to develop, but I do not think the Bills are done in free agency. I think they are done with the big signings, but once free agency settles down they will be able to fill in more of their needs, i.e. OT and WR.

Intereting enough, after reading your post about Cordy Glenn, I scanned through many of the reputable draft sites and sure enough, Ourlad's has updated theirs and you guessed it...Cordy Glenn to the Bills at #10.

Just sayin...

Late

GO BILLSSS!!!!

19 and 0 baby!!!!! B-)

Both Levitre and Urbik are solid starters. You want one of them to switch solely to a backup role for no reason just so we can draft DeCastro? That makes no sense to me.

I agree with Owen: This is the year to go after a Left Tackle, assuming he is the best value available at #10. I don't see us picking any higher than the middle of the first round for the next few years, so this pick has to count. If there are no OT's that warrant a high first-round pick, I would look at the best available LB, again - he must be high first-round talent.

It's no secret that our defense allowed a ton of points last year, but signing Mario should go a long way towards fixing the "D". That being said, a top-notch LB would be a great addidtion to this team if we can't land our Left OT at #10.

There certainly are valid points to be made for an OT. But I look at the Giants and what they've been able to do with their pass rush. They have Tuck and Osi and they decided to draft MK and JPP in the first round. They know they have a QB who doesn't hold onto the ball and has good pocket mobility and those are both strengths of Fitz. They've had great success against the Pats and we haven't. The Bills didn't beat the Pats with 5 step drops, we beat them with screens and slants that went for big yardage. Again, the Bills offense is built on getting the ball out quickly. And we drove Brady nuts that game by getting in throwing lanes and making him move in the pocket.

Last point. Look at what guys like Mathews did last year for the Pack. He made THE game changing play in the SB coming off the edge and changed the game. Tuck in this years super bowl getting a safety on the first drive. Woodley and Harrison dominating the Cards. If there is an impact edge player at #10, which I think Ingram is, then he is going to do a lot more for this team than an OT. Just my opinion.

It is enticing to think of grabbing Ingram in round 1. With the addition of Williams and Ingram, their pass rush would be very much improved.

I think that your earlier point about Fitz being a 3 step drop QB and therefore there is no need to invest in a quality LT is a little off. With the

poor LT play the Bills have had with Bell out, they don't even have the threat of being able to throw mid to deep. Without that threat, safeties

and LBs don't have to respect the deep play and can creep closer to the line, thus congesting the areas that those short passes go to, as well

as making it more difficult to run the ball.

I am not necessarily saying that drafting Ingram over a LT would be a bad move- quite the contrary. I am saying that finding a talented

LT would open up the offense, even with a QB that doesn't have the greatest deep arm in the league.

1332079947[/url]' post='2413218']

^^^^ this is how I feel.

I'm not saying I would hate drafting a LT in the 1st. I'd be ok with drafting Glenn or Martin. I'm not a big fan of Reiff though. I would prefer to go WR (if we don't add any via free agency) or DE/OLB. I wouldn't be upset of we took Kirkpatrick either (I believe Claiborne will be off the board). I fee we need a player that can step in and great player for us the next 5+ years, whether it's a LT, WR, DE, OLB or even cb. If we can add a great player, I'll be happy.

This gentle folks is a thread that has hit all the issues in acquiring. or not. A LT whether through winding Bell back in to our boat or finding one in the draft. A great deal of very reasonable considerations indeed. great read thanks.

Lt is a foundation of a very good team. Great left tackle is not necessarily going to make a very good team. So you draft one for the future not this years SB party. i mean heck there is so much more to the thinking behind this as we well know. But drafting a left tackle might be financially be best. If we could have Bell submit to an honest to good ness incentive "not sure he will go for it at all" laden contract would be best for now. if we draft one high well i will trust in Buddy and Chan for that. i think we will be good enough with Hairston, because Buddy will find another one of his "backups" from somewhere and have Chan get him up to speed. thats not been a bad thing!

Also.. Big Cat? i saw the lead in and then considered it more seriously when you showed it as Andy/cordy/eric/.

This is pure genius possibly. i saw mister L play admirably out there when called on. And he has said as Buddy did, he/ I will play where they put me. Just not center ok Andy?

lastly after such long wind.. my point is to solve the Buffalo Bills offensive line we need to secure our left Tackle of the future and give him one to spell. then we can check off that box from our wish list away and finish up all the other tasks to be long term winners. do it now do it later it's still gotta get done.

Matt Light was a second round pick, and is still kicking ass 11 years later. Now. I urge you to examine the first round picks of the patsies since they picked Light. http://www.drafthistory.com/index.php/teams/patriots

How many would you rather have than Light?

My point? Light would have been worth a #10. Do you think that the patsies, as great as Brady is, would have enjoyed the same success with Langston Walker, Greg Jerman, or Bell on a gurney playing LT? I make the case that this would be an impossibility.

I also once again bring up the dirty little secret of playing in the elements. This winter was great, but how about next season, and the one after that. I have been to games at RWS where passing was all but out of the question, and 2 of our divisional opponents play in the cold as well. Even in this new passing league, running will always mean just a bit more to the Bills than it does to most other teams. Exceptions? Sure, the Packers. Farve could throw through a tornado, and Rodgers looks like he will be in the hall of fame.

This post is not to dismiss yours as rubbish. You DO raise some valid points. I just think that it isn't as simple as you present it, and I believe that a top quality LT would be a HUGE boost to the Bills.

Bill I have been waiting for you. We all know how you feel about drafting CBs/DBs. My question is do you see this is an area of need on our team and if so, where you would see us drafting?