Robert Meachem visits Bills, signs with SD

mrags

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Upon further review, losing Meachem may not be that huge of a deal, as history hasn't been kind to No. 2 WRs contributing to their new teams in FA. I think Wes Welker may be one of the exceptions.

The cynic in me immediately thought of Quinn Early when Meachem was about to sign...

Losing Mario, OTOH ....

Edited by GG

Sure looks like the same old, same old from the Bills FO. We tried to get this guy. Guess we'll have to keep building through the draft and missing the playoffs. In a lot of ways, this is a total EPIC FAIL. Fly a guy in on a private jet, and while he's here, he sings somehwere else. That said, I'm not sure Fitz had the arm to get Meachem the ball.

He will be a total failure as a #1 WR. He's a #2 receiver. Glad he got the $$, but the Bills should have been wise to this before bringing him in, in a very public way.

Maybe they knew already?

Just saying, Buddy has ties to SD, maybe he knew Meachem was negotiating with them. Kinda odd that of all the FA WR Bill choose the one who signs w SD. Could be pure coincedence and speculation.

For you guys who think the Bills efforts in FA are just a dog and pony show, this is another feather in your cap.

The problem with losing Meachem is not really that he needed to be the #2 WR with #2 WR numbers, it is more like what has become known in certain Sabre circles as "The Concept of Zack Kassian". The Sabres needed a big strong winger who will fight but also has some offensive skills.

The Bills don't need Meachem, they need "The Concept of Meachem". They need a guy who is a big, who can get deep and be a legitimate threat. That guy could easily be Easley but we cannot count on that. There are likely other guys who can still be had that have some speed (size would be nice) that are a legitimate threat. We do not need a stud or even a true #2. We need a guy like Meachem who can make a play or two and get deep. So that Stevie, Nelson, Chandler, Freddy, Spiller and Brad Smith can do their stuff. Nelson cannot play #2 at this point.

Looks like Buddy Nix is still scouting for A.J. Smith.

He can just sit back, watch who Buddy goes after and then call the agent and outbid him.

I wonder if they are now interested in M. Williams???

Or could be that this is Nix's way of sticking it to SD - interview the guy they want, set a price and have SD overpay for said player

Edited by Fan in Chicago

The problem with losing Meachem is not really that he needed to be the #2 WR with #2 WR numbers, it is more like what has become known in certain Sabre circles as "The Concept of Zack Kassian". The Sabres needed a big strong winger who will fight but also has some offensive skills.

The Bills don't need Meachem, they need "The Concept of Meachem". They need a guy who is a big, who can get deep and be a legitimate threat. That guy could easily be Easley but we cannot count on that. There are likely other guys who can still be had that have some speed (size would be nice) that are a legitimate threat. We do not need a stud or even a true #2. We need a guy like Meachem who can make a play or two and get deep. So that Stevie, Nelson, Chandler, Freddy, Spiller and Brad Smith can do their stuff. Nelson cannot play #2 at this point.

FA - Laurent Robinson

Draft - Tommy Streeter, WR, Miami(FL) - 2nd or 3rd round

The ONLY reason I got upset (and I suspect others feel the same) about him signing elsewhere is that he did it within minutes of having dinner with the Bills. If he signed with SD from home and snubbed the Bills I could have cared less

i know - what a jerk - going to visit a place to see if its a fit before deciding on signing with a place he feels confident about.

You are correct sir.

The ONLY reason I got upset (and I suspect others feel the same) about him signing elsewhere is that he did it within minutes of having dinner with the Bills. If he signed with SD from home and snubbed the Bills I could have cared less

to reiterate what Kelly the Dog said - The Bills want/need a #2 receiver to compliment Stevie.

I would say that the WR's on the market want to be the #1 guy and get paid like the #1 guy. So losing a #2 to a team willing to pay #1 let em have em. we need a #2 and a #3. I don't want to see an overpaid #2 guy.

Edited by BillsFan-4-Ever

i know - what a jerk - going to visit a place to see if its a fit before deciding on signing with a place he feels confident about.

I didn't say he was a jerk for doing it, I explained what rubbed me the wrong way. If you'd like to follow me around on a daily basis to snipe at my personal reasons for feeling a certain way, feel free.

Is my recollection correct that Moochem got a slightly bigger contact than Stevie?

If that is the case, I cannot blame the Bills at all for not agreeing to pay the Mooch more than Stevie. It could have caused some issues internally.

Is my recollection correct that Moochem got a slightly bigger contact than Stevie?

If that is the case, I cannot blame the Bills at all for not agreeing to pay the Mooch more than Stevie. It could have caused some issues internally.

According to Mark Gaughan of the Buffalo News:

The Bills thought they had a deal for Robert Meachem late Tuesday. It was close. But San Diego swooped in and offered Meachem a per-year average equal to that of Johnson (without as much up-front money). That was an offer Meachem decided he had to take on the spot. Another factor to consider is the draft is deep in receivers this year.

I didn't say he was a jerk for doing it, I explained what rubbed me the wrong way. If you'd like to follow me around on a daily basis to snipe at my personal reasons for feeling a certain way, feel free.

it couldnt just be that you were the last one in a long thread of guys upset about it. no, it was personal.

all i was pointing out is that while it does suck to miss out, its like going on a job interview and another offer coming in that you just have to jump on.

if you were out to meet the potential new bosses and some other company called offering more money, for a role youd rather fill/better job title, in a city you prefer, and with a partner you feel confident working with (rivers) - i dont think anyone would fault you for saying thanks for your time, and going on your way. its all that really happened here but with a lot of eyes watching.

Not sure what Nix & co. had in mind, but Meachem & his agent most likely had San Diego targeted as their #1 choice from the start w/ them possibly losing V.Jackson; so yeah, it feels like the Bills got used (again). But I'd like to think Nix & co. would've already had some sense about things like that happening & didn't give a s*!!. I'm mean what's there to lose for the Bills - we @least get the chance to present an honest case ...while the player ended-up looking like a dick.

Maybe it's a blessing in disguise - he hasn't earned that level of respect from his performance.

He & A.J. Smith probably deserve each other.