Robert Meachem visits Bills, signs with SD

mrags

Not sure what Nix & co. had in mind, but Meachem & his agent most likely had San Diego targeted as their #1 choice from the start w/ them possibly losing V.Jackson; so yeah, it feels like the Bills got used (again). But I'd like to think Nix & co. would've already had some sense about things like that happening & didn't give a s*!!. I'm mean what's there to lose for the Bills - we @least get the chance to present an honest case ...while the player ended-up looking like a dick.

Maybe it's a blessing in disguise - he hasn't earned that level of respect from his performance.

He & A.J. Smith probably deserve each other.

There's no question in my mind that the Bills knew San Diego would make a play for Meachem.

They made an earnest grab at the brass ring but didn't get it.

I would also bet that the Bills had the opportunity to counter the San Diego offer and declined.

There's considerable doubt as to whether Meachem is a number one receiver talent and the Bills were not willing to overpay to the degree that the Chargers were, IMO.

This is a situation where "the winner" might end up being the loser.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

There's no question in my mind that the Bills knew San Diego would make a play for Meachem.

They made an earnest grab at the brass ring but didn't get it.

I would also bet that the Bills had the opportunity to counter the San Diego offer and declined.

There's considerable doubt as to whether Meachem is a number one receiver talent and the Bills were not willing to overpay to the degree that the Chargers were, IMO.

This is a situation where "the winner" might end up being the loser.

According to the Buffalo News the Bills offered the same per year figure and more guaranteed money... San Diego offers him the chance to be the no. 1 plus, you know... Phillip Rivers and sunshine.

Edited by Punch

According to the Buffalo News the Bills offered the same per year figure and more guaranteed money... San Diego offers him the chance to be the no. 1 plus, you know... Phillip Rivers and sunshine.

Ah… thanks.

Well they made a solid offer and were aggressive… but I'm glad they didn't overpay for Meachem.

If this is what you are referring to, they were talking about San Diego's offer compared to Stevie Johnson, not what the Bills offered Meachem.

But do the Bills really want to pay him as much as they're paying Stevie Johnson ($7.25 million)? It doesn't seem he's worth that much, but who knows how high the bidding could get if Miami is determined to fill the Marshall hole.

The Bills thought they had a deal for Robert Meachem late Tuesday. It was close. But San Diego swooped in and offered Meachem a per-year average equal to that of Johnson (without as much up-front money). That was an offer Meachem decided he had to take on the spot. Another factor to consider is the draft is deep - very deep - in receivers this year.

If this is what you are referring to, they were talking about San Diego's offer compared to Stevie Johnson, not what the Bills offered Meachem.

Aaah, I misread that. Thanks.