Mario Williams: Officially a Buffalo Bill

• Replies 4.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My guess is that, we'll know by the end of the day if he is a Bill. A few things to take into account:

1) Contrary to what some posters believe, this big of a contract is usually signed within hours of FA opening up. The agent will have known what the interest is, what the market is and who is paying the most. To spend this much time in Buffalo (including getting a physical) and walking away without signing is a big deal.

2) While no one seems to know what type of numbers are on the table, it seems pretty clear to me that this would be the biggest contracted handed out to a defensive player in history. Easily 50-60 guaranteed and probably 110m in total. No GM leaves that offer on the table while the player is meeting with other teams. An offer that big, you either take, or you don't take. If you want to see what other teams have to offer, it means you probably aren't worth that much of the franchise's money.

3) No team will be able to match the Bills' deal, if the deal is as large as reported. A) Most teams see that as way too big of an investment for anyone who is not a QB ( I might agree with that). B) Most teams in need of a DE don't have the cap room/ money to spend on a DE that the Bills have. And anyone who says the Bears are interested. Really? They are going to invest 100 million + in their DE's? Yea right. They'll offer Mario less than the Bills and say he gets the chance to play w/ Peppers. That won't be enough and if it is, there isn't much the Bills can do about it.

4) The thing w/ him leaving w/o signing a deal---its bad. I hate to say it, but it is. Manning is the exception to the rule. The big name guys don't just...take tours. They know who wants them and what those teams will pay way before FA opens up. They don't just...go city to city in order to "see how it feels". I get that its a big commitment and it means he'll be a Bill for the rest of his career. But he's only in Buffalo for 6 years...and he'd only HAVE to be in the city for 6 months a year tops. The city isn't a huge thing IMO. The most important thing is 1) the salary and 2) the chance to win. 3) the lockeroom. 2 is still a question mark, we as fans have to admit it. By all accounts, 3 is all good, the Bills have good chemistry.

My personal opinion? We learn he signs by the end of the day. That much money and the chance to play with 2 pro bowl caliber DTs and one of the best DC's in football is too good of an option.

Agree (except I think he'll ultimately balk at the deal). Great post that should be required reading for everyone in this thread.

You drew all that from the PFT 'report?' Really?

They are reporting that he has travel plans out tonight...he has always had travel plans out tonight. That was the itinerary we heard about yesterday.

Jeez, when I read something posted at 5:39 today i tend to think its something new

As Bills fans wait for white smoke to come from the chimney of Ralph Wilson Stadium, it looks like Mario Williams could soon be moving on, at least physically.

A source with knowledge of the situation tells PFT that Williams is scheduled to leave town tonight.

http://profootballta...uffalo-tonight/

When you're talking about that much money, I can see how quality of life, where you play matters.

What's the difference between 100 million and 80 million, really? Having a happy wife is probably more important at that point. The guy on WGR makes a valid point.

I just hope he's wrong. :(

Plus, thinking "quality of life" for he and his future wife and family indicates a pretty good head on his shoulders. I have a hard time faulting a guy for being a decent guy.

why would his wife fly in at lunch time and fly out at dinner?

god, imagine if shes on her period too?

my wife would kill me if that was our itinerary, 100 million on the table or not.

we'd be eating at a g*ddamn applebees and staying at a holiday inn expres, not flying out, contract or no

Edited by JohnnyGold

Jeez, when I read something posted at 5:39 today i tend to think its something new

That's a fairly naive assumption.

It's also likely, that he's had flights scheduled out of the city all along and his agent schedules new ones so if the Buffalo deal doesn't work out they can move on to the next team. Cap space is dwindling quickly.

Plus, thinking "quality of life" for he and his future wife and family indicates a pretty good head on his shoulders. I have a hard time faulting a guy for being a decent guy.

What about for thinking that it's possible to keep his wife happy? Because that is pure folly.

Oh definitely.

I generally dislike players who take the biggest paycheck and ignore *everything* else.

But in this case, I want that to happen. :)

As Bills fans wait for white smoke to come from the chimney of Ralph Wilson Stadium, it looks like Mario Williams could soon be moving on, at least physically.

A source with knowledge of the situation tells PFT that Williams is scheduled to leave town tonight.

I'm just saying the conclusions you drew from that blurb (in you preceding post) were a bit extreme. You mentioned confirmation that he was leaving without signing. I didn't draw the same conclusion at all.

It's also likely, that he's had flights scheduled out of the city all along and his agent schedules new ones so if the Buffalo deal doesn't work out they can move on to the next team. Cap space is dwindling quickly.

That kind-of makes me wonder how his agent's blood pressure is. "C'mon, Mario...you can't spend all day thinking about it! Time is money!" "Just give me another day..."

The only teams that are going to be left to compete with us are those that are currently hoping to snag peyton, like tenn and denver. He might just be waiting for them to be freed up. Anyways, I don't think they could match our money.

My guess is that, we'll know by the end of the day if he is a Bill. A few things to take into account:

1) Contrary to what some posters believe, this big of a contract is usually signed within hours of FA opening up. The agent will have known what the interest is, what the market is and who is paying the most. To spend this much time in Buffalo (including getting a physical) and walking away without signing is a big deal.

2) While no one seems to know what type of numbers are on the table, it seems pretty clear to me that this would be the biggest contracted handed out to a defensive player in history. Easily 50-60 guaranteed and probably 110m in total. No GM leaves that offer on the table while the player is meeting with other teams. An offer that big, you either take, or you don't take. If you want to see what other teams have to offer, it means you probably aren't worth that much of the franchise's money.

3) No team will be able to match the Bills' deal, if the deal is as large as reported. A) Most teams see that as way too big of an investment for anyone who is not a QB ( I might agree with that). B) Most teams in need of a DE don't have the cap room/ money to spend on a DE that the Bills have. And anyone who says the Bears are interested. Really? They are going to invest 100 million + in their DE's? Yea right. They'll offer Mario less than the Bills and say he gets the chance to play w/ Peppers. That won't be enough and if it is, there isn't much the Bills can do about it.

4) The thing w/ him leaving w/o signing a deal---its bad. I hate to say it, but it is. Manning is the exception to the rule. The big name guys don't just...take tours. They know who wants them and what those teams will pay way before FA opens up. They don't just...go city to city in order to "see how it feels". I get that its a big commitment and it means he'll be a Bill for the rest of his career. But he's only in Buffalo for 6 years...and he'd only HAVE to be in the city for 6 months a year tops. The city isn't a huge thing IMO. The most important thing is 1) the salary and 2) the chance to win. 3) the lockeroom. 2 is still a question mark, we as fans have to admit it. By all accounts, 3 is all good, the Bills have good chemistry.

My personal opinion? We learn he signs by the end of the day. That much money and the chance to play with 2 pro bowl caliber DTs and one of the best DC's in football is too good of an option.

Good post :thumbsup:

Buffalo,Chicago, Seattle, Tennessee all want Mario

The NFL network might be correct in that Mario is waiting to see what Peyton Manning does. If he signs with Tenn then they won't have the money to sign Mario.

Another point is leverage. His agent could be Bartering between Seattle, Chicago and Tenn to see if any will match the offer the Bills have made to Mario. You know, kinda like Robert Meachems PoS agent did.

Once he steps on that plane without signing its over for the Bills, JMO

It is still comical that you are using PFT as confirmation when there are still conflicting reports (even Adam Schefter).

By the way, bolding and underlining text does not make your point any more valid than it is now.