Get a couple of good players or 1 great player

88 members have voted

1. 1. Who should The Bills focus on getting in FA?

• A couple of good solid players (Mincey, Carr, Colston)
    • Go all out for Mario Williams and no one else
    • Go all out for VJax and no one else

From looking at our cap room, it seems like we can go into FA 2 ways. Either try to get a couple of good solid players (not talking about 2nd tier players) like Carr, Mincey, Colston, or should the Bills go all out for either Mario Williams or VJax?

Edited by ryan42790

From looking at our cap room, it seems like we can go into FA 2 ways. Either try to get a couple of good solid players (not talking about 2nd tier players) like Carr, Mincey, Colston, or should the Bills go all out for either Mario Williams or VJax?

I voted for three players.

I still believe football is a team sport. With the one exception being the importance QB has become.

So to me get three players in a 'need' position. Then draft the others.

LT in first.

DE in second and third.

I still believe football is a team sport. With the one exception being the importance QB has become.

LT in first.

DE in second and third.

I still think that's good players give you a chance to go to the playoffs and into the superbowl... but with that being said, a great player gives you a chance to do something really special, like goto 4 street superbowls...(see: bruce smith)

I'd go with the guy who will have over 100 career sacks when his career is over.

Mario Williams has 53 career sacks in his first 6 years so it's very far from a foregone conclusion that he'll finish his career with 100 sacks… in fact at his current rate it's unlikely.

Or were you referring to John Abraham who has 111 career sacks?

Mario Williams has 53 career sacks in his first 6 years so it's very far from a foregone conclusion that he'll finish his career with 100 sacks… in fact at his current rate it's unlikely.

Or were you referring to John Abraham who has 111 career sacks?

Truly when you toss his rookie year, and one major injury his rate looks highly likely to hit 100

That said - one great DE or QB any day, otherwise 3 good.

It's better to get a guaranteed great player in FA and then hope you can get great players in the draft. We already have bunch of good to average players, we need game changers. If we can't great players in FA don't bother.

Truly when you toss his rookie year, and one major injury his rate looks highly likely to hit 100

That said - one great DE or QB any day, otherwise 3 good.

He's played in 82 career games and has 53 career sacks.

That's .646 sacks per game which amounts to 10.34 sacks for a 16 game season.

This means that at his current rate he'd have to play 5 more completely injury-free seasons to reach 100 career sacks.

He played 5 seasons before his first significant injury.

I say at best, he's 50-50 to reach 100 career sacks.

We can sign Williams and still get a couple of decent FAs, so I don't get the poll exactly. We can't have VJ an MW but we can have one and more. BTW I say go for Williams. The D is instantly impressive and tough, the O already is okay and sometimes very okay.

We can sign Williams and still get a couple of decent FAs, so I don't get the poll exactly. We can't have VJ an MW but we can have one and more. BTW I say go for Williams. The D is instantly impressive and tough, the O already is okay and sometimes very okay.

I'm really trying to be in the mindset of Nix. Don't forget we have some more to sign of our own, Levitre and Byrd and extending Fred. Also we are going to have to really over pay for Williams or Vjax (more so Williams) I really don't think we will have enough room to sign another significant player.

I voted Mario.

Going into the season with a front-4 of Mario-Dareus-Kyle-Curry/Merriman would automatically give us one of the best DLines in the league.

It's a single step that takes us from average to elite, and helps our LBs and DBs.

+1 on this.

I'd rather get one difference maker like Mario that will make the entire defense better.

He's played in 82 career games and has 53 career sacks.

That's .646 sacks per game which amounts to 10.34 sacks for a 16 game season.

This means that at his current rate he'd have to play 5 more completely injury-free seasons to reach 100 career sacks.

He played 5 seasons before his first significant injury.

I say at best, he's 50-50 to reach 100 career sacks.

I'd say short of getting hit by a bus he's got 6 more years in him, easily. If he matches production of 4 standard years plus 2 down years, he's there.

Further if you wash his rookie year out as an anomaly (which makes sense to do, as there's that steep first year curve) I believe your math would in turn say at the end of year 4 he should be pretty tight on 100, even if he misses a couple games.

I voted Mario.

Going into the season with a front-4 of Mario-Dareus-Kyle-Curry/Merriman would automatically give us one of the best DLines in the league.

It's a single step that takes us from average to elite, and helps our LBs and DBs.

Me, too. I want a dominant pass rush in the worst way. I'm so tired of the secondary getting eaten alive due to lack of pressure on the opposing QB. The Bills have a ton of draft picks to address other needs plus they could likely add depth/help with a solid, low cost FA or two. Go all in on Mario. If he isn't interested of appears far too pricey, switch gears and move on to 'plan B'.

I would not break bank on V Jax. Would much prefet to see Mario and Garcon. Completely feasable if Nix is willing to spend money. Those 2 would significantly upgrade us on both side of the ball. Add Martin in 1st round and a promising DE later and i would be one very happy Bills fan. If they spend money on Mario, i will start buying merchandise and tickets again.

LT in first.

DE in second and third.

+1 I completely echo everything in this post.

Damn reasonable question and i am surprised name calling has not started yet. The main reason i did not vote Williams is because he has the league by the short ones. Almost every team NEEDS this guy. I suspect his contract will be near record setting for the position.

The part that is so difficult for me and should be for you folks is that.. you are right, we would have one of THE most feared defensive lines on the earth.

But honestly is that what is best for the team right now? I think we can draft one or two DE this year that will make us better than last year and hoping for much better down the road.

Edited by 3rdand12

I'd say short of getting hit by a bus he's got 6 more years in him, easily. If he matches production of 4 standard years plus 2 down years, he's there.

Further if you wash his rookie year out as an anomaly (which makes sense to do, as there's that steep first year curve) I believe your math would in turn say at the end of year 4 he should be pretty tight on 100, even if he misses a couple games.

I think we both have equal merit in our completely opposing arguments.

I'd finish by saying that I recall when most everyone was considering Tiger Woods to be a shoo-in to break The Golden Bear's majors record.

Five years in football is a very long time.

If I'm betting, I'm betting the under.

I think we both have equal merit in our completely opposing arguments.

I'd finish by saying that I recall when most everyone was considering Tiger Woods to be a shoo-in to break The Golden Bear's majors record.

Five years in football is a very long time.

If I'm betting, I'm betting the under.

Essentially were both betting catastrophic injury - as a "normal" career arc would take him there. Injuries are very possible. Who knows - maybe there's a tragic plaxico incident in the future but generally I'll side on the over as I think all those (especially with what seems to be a good head on his shoulders) seems unlikely. Same could be said for woods but I don't think I could ever call those outcomes more likely than not though.

The bills have a few decent WRs and they can get by at tackle. But there is not one player on this team that can get to the QB. The answer is Mario Williams. It's not just his pass rush ability but he is long and he takes away throwing lanes. Barring injuries, the Bills have a good shot at a WC with Mario Williams in the lineup.

Team game, I want more good players at more positions rather than a bunch of scrubs and one great player.

Agreed. How many certifiable stars does New England have?

You can argue that they have one at the most important position, and I'll give you that, but what they've really done well is try to eliminate any holes they can. A few more "good" players at WR and/or CB might have saved them in this past Super Bowl; and look at Mario Manningham for another example of a good, not great, player that contributed to a strong supporting cast for the Giants' title run.

I voted Mario.

Though it's hard to argue with this.

It's better to get a guaranteed great player in FA and then hope you can get great players in the draft. We already have bunch of good to average players, we need game changers. If we can't great players in FA don't bother.

That doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I think you take improvement wherever you can get it, even if it's marginal. The one caveat is that if the guy being replaced provides some intangibles with visible results.

I understand both philosophies but imo it's a no brainer. We get one difference maker. Difference makers make the people around them better. The more you have the better off you are. My specific area of focus is the defense which has been a huge problem. For all the complaints and whining everyone does our offense finished middle of pack in performance and did so with the 30th worst defense and the WR and LT positions were a rotating collection of crap from about week 4 or 5 on.

It is so clear to me that if we fix the defense and I mean FIX IT this TEAM will be play off bound. Last year KW went down early in the year leaving a rookie DE moved to NT to lead the defense and lead the team in sacks with 5.5. Getting those two guys on the field and BOTH healthy at the same time will be huge. Add a piece like Mario Williams and the whole thing gets exponentially better. The defense would quite literally be greater than the some of it's parts. All 3 of those guys would legitimately merit double teams.

I had another thread where I proposed the idea of getting Super Mario AND Kamerion Wimbley. We are going to be around $32.8 million under CASH to cap. Yes, CASH to cap. Problem solved. If our expensive lottery ticket Shawn Merriman ever contributes anything which I highly doubt our defense becomes a strength not a horrible liability. The offense wouldn't need to outscore the 27.1 pts the defense surrendered on average every week.

I'll take 1 true difference maker over 2 slightly above average guys any day.

I don't buy into 'savior' players. Mario Williams is a an amazing talent and would be a tremendous upgrade, but the idea that he comes in and fixes the problems with the Bills Defense all on his own is a leap. Williams is the player you bring in to put you over the top.

Edited by jeremy2020

This Tuesday at 4pm, I would be faxing an offer to Mario's agent for 7years/$105mil. As my starting point.

I fully believe Williams has at least 5 very good years left in him. Looking back at past DE stars, they usually last into their 30s. Williams has the pedigree to pull that off as well. Barring major injury, which is a gamble that everyone must take on every deal.

A deal somewhere in the 5-7 year range basically locks him up for the rest of his career.

I don't buy into 'savior' players. Mario Williams is a an amazing talent and would be a tremendous upgrade, but the idea that he comes in and fixes the problems with the Bills Defense all on his own is a leap. Williams is the player you bring in to put you over the top.

Yes sir. i think some folks are getting a bit anxious and possibly blood thirsty already!

Listen, we will have a healthy Kyle and Mr D. those guys are game changers and certainly will be accounted for by opposing offenses. I mean heck on some plays they will need 3 linemen to keep them at bay!

These guys are both approaching elite if not actually just that already. I dont think we need THE Best player at end to become the vaunted defense we wish for. would be sweet though.

As much as I would love to have Super Mario I think he will sign elsewhere. He'll get huge money and a shot at a ring. Its gonna take some serious cash to bring him here and that would cripple us. Unfortunatly the team is more than one great signing away from SB.

As much as I would love to have Super Mario I think he will sign elsewhere. He'll get huge money and a shot at a ring. Its gonna take some serious cash to bring him here and that would cripple us. Unfortunatly the team is more than one great signing away from SB.

Where does this awful mentality that you can't add good players yet come from? It's terrible. SB teams have several of these guys and we can't touch one at a glaring hole because were not ready to be as good as he is?

1331480643[/url]' post='2401229']

Carr and Colston will get close to the same amount of money as vj. Carr might get more

Carr and Colston will get close to the same amount of money as vj. Carr might get more

Colston will be a few mill a year less than either. Age, health, system, speed.... He is likely going to be a surprising value that I'd kill to get.

This Tuesday at 4pm, I would be faxing an offer to Mario's agent for 7years/$105mil. As my starting point.

I fully believe Williams has at least 5 very good years left in him. Looking back at past DE stars, they usually last into their 30s. Williams has the pedigree to pull that off as well. Barring major injury, which is a gamble that everyone must take on every deal.

A deal somewhere in the 5-7 year range basically locks him up for the rest of his career.

:thumbsup:

mario williams would be a nice counter to having peyton and brady in our division the D line could be mean. can't double team everyone.

+1000 :thumbsup: