Mel Kiper latest mock 3.0

If you hear Ingram talk, he is very passionate about football and I wouldn't doubt his success in the NFL despite his shortish arms. He didn't build his considerable resume using someone else's arms.

For pass rushers, Melvin is 1a and Mercilus is 1b for me. Don't even mention Maybin either he played 40 lbs lighter in college.

You have obviously never noticed how long Aaron Maybin's arms are.

GO BILLS!!!

i would be happy adding ingram to the d-line, anytime you get a talented player that is self motivated, has great character and work ethic it's a good day.

+1

also lets not forget it's our BIGGEST need! I still think the pick will be a LT because Ingram might not be there @ 10.

If you hear Ingram talk, he is very passionate about football and I wouldn't doubt his success in the NFL despite his shortish arms. He didn't build his considerable resume using someone else's arms.

I 100% agree. This guy LOVES playing football. Look at the tapes of him playing. I would be thrilled if he were the pick. Short arms are a dumb excuse for not drafting a guy who did so well in college. He's the only D player I would want at 10. Otherwise I'd take an OT.

Sounds like Donte Whitner...

donte wasn't a bad guy, he just wasn't a great player. and i think his biggest flaw was wanting all of the attention and getting into twitter wars with people (i assume many of them complete morons) and being overly upset by it. well, that and coverage.

Reminds me of the von miller detractors last year: "yeah, he knows how to play football, loves playing football, but he's too risky because he's smallish for his position. He'll get swallowed up in the NFL." Yeah, how'd that work out?

Count me as an Ingram fan.

Except when Whitner walks into a restaurant they hand him the kids menu. :) Ingram is going to be a star with good coaching to utilize his skills. Just say no to Brockers,Perry and Mercilus. We can do better than those 3 @ #10.

Reminds me of the von miller detractors last year: "yeah, he knows how to play football, loves playing football, but he's too risky because he's smallish for his position. He'll get swallowed up in the NFL." Yeah, how'd that work out?

+1

Ingram is the only DE that is not a reach at ten, if not him trade down, if that's not possible because Nix can't multi task then take one of the OT's.

+1 To this , too. We'll be fortunate and blessed if he's not taken before #10.

He didn't build his considerable resume using someone else's arms.

Good stuff… consider yourself warned that I'm going to steal and re-use that concept… possibly many times.

Wow. I would never have thought to compare Ingram to Donte Whitner.

That's a Whitner-esque reach.

Ingram tends to jump out at you from the videotape while Whitner never did that.

That's why Whitner's selection was such a surprise to everyone, fans, media, and personnel guys alike.

Unlike Whitner if Ingram is the Bills pick, no one will be surprised.

I think Ingram is not particularly quick, nor strong, and is not a stud at any position. I would not take him at 10. Frankly, he looks like a borderline NFL'er to me and in the 1st round, I want a 5 year starter. Yeah, I know I could be way off, but so could those trumpeting his attributes.

I think Ingram is not particularly quick, nor strong, and is not a stud at any position. I would not take him at 10. Frankly, he looks like a borderline NFL'er to me and in the 1st round, I want a 5 year starter. Yeah, I know I could be way off, but so could those trumpeting his attributes.

I like Ingram a lot but won't make any predictions about how his NFL career will go.

However your first sentence is way off.

Not only does he look quick and strong in his videotape but he also tested quick and strong at the combine.

Where are you getting your impressions of Ingram?

Mayock's take on Ingram,

Mayock's pick is Ingram, who stands 6-2, 276 pounds and was one of the most versatile defenders in the NCAA. The Dolphins will be transitioning to a 4-3 base defense this year, but will still play with multiple fronts and schemes depending on the down and situation. And Ingram terrorized the SEC last year (15 tackles for loss, 10 sacks and two interceptions) while playing all over the field – as a nose tackle, hand-in-the-dirt defensive end, stand-up pass rusher and even as a middle linebacker.

“He’s one of those guys, kind of like Justin Tuck, where you can have fun with him,” Mayock said. “And he’s shown he has the aptitude to learn all those different positions.”

I've been clamoring for the Bills to build that O line for as long as I can remember, but now looking at Peyton Manning going to Miami or the Jets, I'd say draft Ingram!!:thumbsup:

http://blogs.palmbea...st-round-needs/

I like Ingram a lot but won't make any predictions about how his NFL career will go.

However your first sentence is way off.

Not only does he look quick and strong in his videotape but he also tested quick and strong at the combine.

Where are you getting your impressions of Ingram?

Looked at a bunch of his films. The following link points to one of them and this one in particular made him look very ordinary. I've seen a few others, as well. Maybe he was hurt in the films I saw. Otherwise, call me non-impressed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iN0qbLJK9ro

If there is an explosive reaction time by him, I ain't seeing it.

Looked at a bunch of his films. The following link points to one of them and this one in particular made him look very ordinary. I've seen a few others, as well. Maybe he was hurt in the films I saw. Otherwise, call me non-impressed.

youtube.com/watch?v=iN0qbLJK9ro

Well…

You and I are looking at the same player but apparently we're seeing two very different things.

Playing against the two best teams in the nation and being solid on virtually every play and outstanding on numerous others.

Did he not have 3 sacks against Alabama or did I miscount… not to mention the two great plays he made when Bama was in the red zone.

And one of the last plays against Auburn when he defeats the double team and stuffs the running back?

I guess we'll disagree on Ingram.

Well…

You and I are looking at the same player but apparently we're seeing two very different things.

Playing against the two best teams in the nation and being solid on virtually every play and outstanding on numerous others.

Did he not have 3 sacks against Alabama or did I miscount… not to mention the two great plays he made when Bama was in the red zone.

And one of the last plays against Auburn when he defeats the double team and stuffs the running back?

Looks slow getting off the snap to me. Also looks like he did a lot of good from the dt spot. Once he gets going he really delivers a shot though.

Good stuff… consider yourself warned that I'm going to steal and re-use that concept… possibly many times.

Wow. I would never have thought to compare Ingram to Donte Whitner.

That's a Whitner-esque reach.

Ingram tends to jump out at you from the videotape while Whitner never did that.

That's why Whitner's selection was such a surprise to everyone, fans, media, and personnel guys alike.

Unlike Whitner if Ingram is the Bills pick, no one will be surprised.

That wasn't the point. The point is that people said the same things about Whitner (and many other prospects) and it didn't turn out to be "a good day" like the poster referred to. I don't think the 2 players have anything to do with each other directly, but while all those are nice attributes, I expect those AND MORE from a 10th pick.

Edited by Matthews' Bag

Looks slow getting off the snap to me. Also looks like he did a lot of good from the dt spot. Once he gets going he really delivers a shot though.

When you watch a defensive player who's slow off the snap, you have to ask the questions:

Is he an athlete that lacks quickness and explosion?

Are there other plays where he explodes off the ball?

Is it possible that based on down and distance and formation that he's in a run read or a read and react mode?

Scouts are always asking players what techniques they are coached, etc. If he's playing a two-gap scheme he's not gonna be shooting gaps.

With Ingram you see on some plays the incredible explosiveness… then you verify that with his outstanding time in the 40 and his extremely good 10 yard split time…

I immediately noticed that on the first few plays Ingram didn't "come off the ball" hard… it seemed obvious that he was in read and react mode.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

Ingram Strengths:

Speed to turn the corner

Rare athlete

Agility to sink his hips/shoulder to get leverage on tackles

Strength

Has a powerful bull rush

A developed repertoire of pass rushing moves

Nice rip move

Good spin move

Propensity to make splash plays

Active hands

Has the strength to anchor and hold his ground vs. the run

Versatile to play end or tackle on passing downs

Quick get-off

Shedding blocks

Excellent technique

Natural pad level

Too quick for guards to handle

Plays hurt

Consistently productive

Experienced starter

Weaknesses:

Short arms

Lack of height

Unique body type has the capacity to turn him into a tweener

Does not have a natural position fit in a 3-4 defense

All four weaknesses seem meaningless.

Well…

I didn't watch him all season, studying him, but he really does look like a player who will not excel at any position to me. We agree to disagree.

Good. That means there is no shot it will happen.

The only picks Kiper got correct in the Top 10 in 2011 was Cam Newton, AJ Green and where Julio Jones was picked.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/675649-2011-nfl-mock-draft-mel-kiper-vs-todd-mcshay-who-got-it-right

You can trash Mel for not being able to predict who a team will actually take, but in the first round he's usually right on who a team should take. If you review the last decade of Bills first round picks they would have done FAR better simply taking whoever Mel said they should when they were on the clock. It's pretty amazing and kind of stunning how good he is. I'm not saying he's perfect, but in the first round his track record seems at least even with, if not better than most front offices. That said his record deteriorates dramatically after the first round.

Edited by DC Grid

Zulu, although I didn't post anything like that last year I definitely thought it. Man was I wrong...happy for that guy in Denver, great player.

youtube.com/watch?v=iN0qbLJK9ro

Why don't you look at some 2011 film instead of reachnig back to 2010?

+1

also lets not forget it's our BIGGEST need! I still think the pick will be a LT because Ingram might not be there @ 10.

I hate to admit it, but I'm leaning this way as well...The relative silence out of OBD on Bell is indicative that he'll hit the open market come FA next week. I don't see any other OT's on the market that'll be worth a stop gap/rental. I refuse to believe that they have enough faith in Hairston to go into this season with him at LT and without a high profile type player (1st round draft pick) plugged in.

Ingram might be there at 10. I think its between Ingram, Upshaw, or the best LT on the board.

What Miami does is the key to OUR draft.

If they get Manning I would think they draft a RT to help protect him.

That may Force us to draft a DE or pass rushing LB in the 1st round because with Brady and possible Manning 4 times a year we have to get pressure on the QB.

Ingram Strengths:

Speed to turn the corner

Rare athlete

Agility to sink his hips/shoulder to get leverage on tackles

Strength

Has a powerful bull rush

A developed repertoire of pass rushing moves

Nice rip move

Good spin move

Propensity to make splash plays

Active hands

Has the strength to anchor and hold his ground vs. the run

Versatile to play end or tackle on passing downs

Quick get-off

Shedding blocks

Excellent technique

Natural pad level

Too quick for guards to handle

Plays hurt

Consistently productive

Experienced starter

Weaknesses:

Short arms

Lack of height

Unique body type has the capacity to turn him into a tweener

Does not have a natural position fit in a 3-4 defense

All four weaknesses seem meaningless.

:thumbsup:

I like Ingram a lot but am in the Upshaw camp. His lack of combine preformance is very upseting especially since Ingram lit it up. Either one of them would make me happy however I belive the Bills will take a OT. I hope they dont I doubt the DE they think will fall to out 2nd pick will be there.

once we get Mario Williams in FA, this point will be moot. what? that's not going to happen? then i think we have to target DE in the 1st round. sacks from rookie pass-rushers are hard to come by as it is for first rounders, but what SECOND rounders have made an impact their first year? it has to be a very rare occurrence and i can't think of any. pass-rush is so crucial, and so lacking on this team, that if we don't come up with one in FA or the first round, i think we're doomed to mediocrity or worse on defense again. that will kill us if Manning joins the division.

i like the odds of getting a competent LT in FA (Bell? Gaither? others middle of the road guys?) or the 2nd round of the draft even, better than finding an impact DE in those spots.