Bills Interested in Vincent Jackson

Sniper

There's only one problem with all of this: Nix doesn't control RW's money, Jeff Littmann does . And it's been proven time and again that BN talks out of his backside, so trusting him to talk about how they're going to spend is doubly ridiculous.

The team has their back against the wall, especially with season ticket sales falling from 55k in 2009 to 37.5k in 2011. This is not the year, it's a make or break one for this franchise. Promising hope and hyping this team isn't cutting it anymore and most fans have finally figured it out.

^^^ This is closer too what takes place on OBD. No doubt they will sign some one with star appeal, because they have zero bona fide stars on the team (exception FJ) to sell season tickets.In the least a TO type signing to help Brandon out. Resigning SJ13 and a reliable other receiver would sell tickets to the newest Air-Gailey show.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The pic was his account getting hacked, otherwise we'd have heard about him getting called to Sir Roger's office. As for the car ride, I guess they could be mad about him refusing to say that Lynch was the one driving the car, but not much else.

A) you don't get called in for a nude photo. It's just dumb. I mention it as he's often revered as a great family man on here.

B) if the team was aware he was rolling with marshawn through that and possibly other nights, it could make then hesitate before signing over the house

C) I wasn't talking about reasons he's been in trouble but instead red flags that maybe he's not as classy/innocent off the field as he's portrayed.

I don't know who the real Stevie is. I hear one version here, but for a guy in the spotlight for about 18months at most, he has some volume of flags. Even if you counted the blown off events and such as another tiny blip. He also has a lot of positive things, but I was just offering a couple counterpoints to what you brought up. Maybe as much as he says he's ready to be a leader, the team doesn't feel good handing him cash and declaring him a leader.

If the Bills sign either SJ or VJ the other won't be signed. It's one or the other. As to whom they prefer, there's a legit case to be made for both. Personally, I hope they re-sign Stevie.

GO BILLS!!!

I disagree. We could easily sign both. The Bills will need to make a splash at one position in FA to sell some tickets (and improve as a team) WR is the best place to do that. The real problem could be keeping both happy and would Stevie be willing to accept a #2 spot. I personally would go after a Manningham or Meachom and try to sign a big time DB like Finneagan. Draft pass rushers and a deep threat wr.

A) you don't get called in for a nude photo. It's just dumb. I mention it as he's often revered as a great family man on here.

B) if the team was aware he was rolling with marshawn through that and possibly other nights, it could make then hesitate before signing over the house

C) I wasn't talking about reasons he's been in trouble but instead red flags that maybe he's not as classy/innocent off the field as he's portrayed.

I don't know who the real Stevie is. I hear one version here, but for a guy in the spotlight for about 18months at most, he has some volume of flags. Even if you counted the blown off events and such as another tiny blip. He also has a lot of positive things, but I was just offering a couple counterpoints to what you brought up. Maybe as much as he says he's ready to be a leader, the team doesn't feel good handing him cash and declaring him a leader.

Fair enough. But is Vincent Jackson a leader, or more of one than Stevie? If neither are, who would be the ideal FA WR for the Bills?

Fair enough. But is Vincent Jackson a leader, or more of one than Stevie? If neither are, who would be the ideal FA WR for the Bills?

I will shout colston every time I'm asked. I think he's a perfect fit. Huge, good hands, and a positive influence.

There's only one problem with all of this: Nix doesn't control RW's money, Jeff Littmann does . And it's been proven time and again that BN talks out of his backside, so trusting him to talk about how they're going to spend is doubly ridiculous.

Example???

The team has their back against the wall, especially with season ticket sales falling from 55k in 2009 to 37.5k in 2011. This is not the year, it's a make or break one for this franchise. Promising hope and hyping this team isn't cutting it anymore and most fans have finally figured it out.

You're making my point. Buddy Nix was saying essentially the same thing - THIS is the year.

Again - in years past they HAVE spent the money in those years when they thought they were on the verge. This is another of those years.

My estimate is that it's not quite $20M to sign Stevie and a VJ or similar - more like $16M, and yes, I think they intend to do exactly that.

Whether they can do that AND improve the pass rush with other than draft picks is a fair question.

First WR in Bills history to record back to back 1000 yd receiving seasons and you guys are still not considering him a number 1 WR? Lay down the crack pipe yall. He's been our best WR since Reed. He's even put up similar numbers as Jackson in his last 2 complete seasons. And Jackson played with a better QB. Yet Jackson is a number 1 and Stevie's not? You guys make me laugh. HA !!!!!!

AND YES I'M BACK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Bills are Interested in Vincent Jackson, I'm interested in Freida Pinto I think we have about an equal shot.

After we sign VJ you will be doing good for yourself :flirt: .

I have no clue why people stick to this attitude ignoring all evidence.

Nix was very explicit - he intends to resign Stevie AND bring in another top WR. A "Calvin Johnson-type" who's "open when he's covered". He specifically said if they lose Stevie they will add TWO WR's.

Guys - if he wasn't serious about spending the cash on FA's this year, he wouldn't have said all that at the press conference. It does him no good to get fans' hopes up for a few months just to let them down before the ticket sales start in earnest.

Look at the history of the team - HONESTLY. Every so often when they think they are close, Ralph spends the money. Remember the year of Dockery@$7M/Walker@$5M/etc.?

Nix was spelling it out last month - they believe THIS is one of those years, and they intend to bring in the players THIS YEAR to get to the playoffs.

If they don't, they are open to serious criticism because he said point-blank they were going to do it.

:worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

I will shout colston every time I'm asked. I think he's a perfect fit. Huge, good hands, and a positive influence.

I'd say Dwayne Bowe, and he'd be a more realistic get. Slightly younger than Colston and Jackson, played under Gailey, and played in KC, which is a lot more like Buffalo than NO or SD.

Edited by Doc

I can see it now. Buddy is thinking he will sign CJax and let Stevie walk. He will bring in V Jax throw our best offer at him, and he'll sign somewhere else. Then Buddy will call Stevie who just signed with another team (likely in our division) and the Bills will have cut off thir own nose in spite of their face once again.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/12/remaining-2011-cap-space-by-team/

This might help us this year, should we actually have an interest in spending in FA (unlikely, but a guy can dream, can't he?).....

Thanks.

Its going to be interesting to see which teams carry over and how much. There are so many ways for teams to massage the cap its nuts.

Thanks.

Its going to be interesting to see which teams carry over and how much. There are so many ways for teams to massage the cap its nuts.

I think next year is when it gets truly interesting because that's when the 89% floor for every team kicks in. If you carry over say $20m in cap space then you've just increased your minimum as well.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/02/12/remaining-2011-cap-space-by-team/

This might help us this year, should we actually have an interest in spending in FA (unlikely, but a guy can dream, can't he?).....

The cap # is the biggest ? for me.

Can anyone who understands how the cap works answer this; COULD the Bills, (provided we could get the guys to sign for these amts) do the following and stay under the cap:

Sign SJ at $8 mil/yr

Sign VJJ at $10 mil/yr

Sign M Williams at $15 mil/yr

Sign Chandler at $4 mil/yr

Sign Bell at $5 mil/yr

Extend FJ at $5 mil/yr

Sign our draft picks

Is this even possible?

I think next year is when it gets truly interesting because that's when the 89% floor for every team kicks in. If you carry over say $20m in cap space then you've just increased your minimum as well.

GO BILLS!!!

:thumbsup: for sure.

Bills wont carry over though will they? I hope they do.

Can anyone who understands how the cap works answer this; COULD the Bills, (provided we could get the guys to sign for these amts) do the following and stay under the cap:

Sign SJ at $8 mil/yr

Sign VJJ at $10 mil/yr

Sign Bell at $5 mil/yr

Extend FJ at $5 mil/yr

Sign our draft picks

Is this even possible?

Depends on structures and signing bonuses etc

Sign SJ at $8 mil/yr

Sign VJJ at $10 mil/yr

Sign Bell at $5 mil/yr

Extend FJ at $5 mil/yr

Sign our draft picks

Is this even possible?

Let me put it this way.. its possible. But the Bills cant because they are in a cash to cap system (like most other teams). If they were willing to say "to hell with it" then technically they could. It would get tricky in a couple years because theyd constantly be trying to circumvent the salary cap.

Sorry if that sounded confusing but i dont want my stalker to show up on this thread and try to twist what im trying to say.

Sign SJ at $8 mil/yr

Sign VJJ at $10 mil/yr

Sign Bell at $5 mil/yr

Extend FJ at $5 mil/yr

Sign our draft picks

Is this even possible?

Yes, for teams that are creative w/ the cap and string out bonuses throughout the life of the contract. For the Bills, who have a cash to the cap policy and don't string out bonuses, no.

Yes, for teams that are creative w/ the cap and string out bonuses throughout the life of the contract. For the Bills, who have a cash to the cap policy and don't string out bonuses, no.

Amortizing signing bonuses counts as creative? On the flip side we don't have dollars from all our signing bonuses in previous years taking up space today

Edited by NoSaint

Amortizing signing bonuses counts as creative? On the flip side we don't have dollars from all our signing bonuses in previous years taking up space today

It's ironic to me that the entire NFL will no longer be able to use amortized bonus amounts as part of the 89% mandate set to kick in in 2013. The entire league must be at that number in "actual cash" spent or the NFL pays the difference to the players. The NFL will be 89% cash-to-cap. The Bills, Steelers, Packers, Chiefs, and many others were ahead of their time apparently.

GO BILLS!!!

Remember how well that worked when John Butler was in charge in the mid to late '90s? As stated by many here, there is a large number teams that use this system. It prevents teams from having dead money and paying millions to players cut years ago.

I never said signing bonuses. There's a multitude of other bonuses that go into a contract that can be smartly/creatively spaced out throughout the life of the contract. The Bills choose not to do this whether it's the right or wrong approach.

Edited by stony

I never said signing bonuses. There's a multitude of other bonuses that go into a contract that can be smartly/creatively spaced out throughout the life of the contract. The Bills choose not to do this.

How do you know this? Most players have other bonuses built in to their contracts for awards, yards gained...etc. It's the signing bonus that matters most in regards to the salary cap.

I never said signing bonuses. There's a multitude of other bonuses that go into a contract that can be smartly/creatively spaced out throughout the life of the contract. The Bills choose not to do this whether it's the right or wrong approach.

Actually signing bonuses are the only ones that apply to this discussion to my knowledge. The bills use roster bonuses so they hit in one year instead of spread trough the first 5 as a signing bonus will. The bills use all other types that I know of.

Do you have any examples of what you are talking about?

Actually signing bonuses are the only ones that apply to this discussion to my knowledge. The bills use roster bonuses so they hit in one year instead of spread trough the first 5 as a signing bonus will. The bills use all other types that I know of.

Do you have any examples of what you are talking about?

Specifically, no. I'm going off an interview I listened to when Jerry Sullivan (go figure) was lamenting the lack of skills the Bill's bean counters display when it comes to negotiating contracts.

Specifically, no. I'm going off an interview I listened to when Jerry Sullivan (go figure) was lamenting the lack of skills the Bill's bean counters display when it comes to negotiating contracts.

I think there may have been a misstep in what he said, or possibly a misunderstanding on what you heard. I don't mean that to sound bad from my end, but I don't think what you are implying actually exists. Other than signing bonuses, the is no other bonus that effects cash to cap differently than the rest. The bigger thing with those "creative contracts" is having a player that really wants to be with the team and in turn accepts less desirable structures from their end. Im sure the bean counters would love to turn the tables but right now free agents have the power in our negotiations as we aren't a prime destination. Simply put - players aren't taking less to come to buffalo.

Would incentives be considered a type of bonus?

It really wouldn't effect the discussion at hand, beyond a player is less likely to take them to come here. We use them though, and they count in the year earned just like any bonus other than signing.

First WR in Bills history to record back to back 1000 yd receiving seasons and you guys are still not considering him a number 1 WR? Lay down the crack pipe yall. He's been our best WR since Reed. He's even put up similar numbers as Jackson in his last 2 complete seasons. And Jackson played with a better QB. Yet Jackson is a number 1 and Stevie's not? You guys make me laugh. HA !!!!!!

AND YES I'M BACK !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

best since reed????? jeeesh i guess you missed about 7 years and a guy named moulds, i dont get why we annoint a guy as great and a number 1, just because hes the best "we" have. Stevie isnt better than any of the three guys in NY. He isnt better than about 30 other WR's but now hes better than an all-time great??? i guess if u just read one stat he is. How bout lost game do to big drops and idiot penalties? is that a stat?

I disagree. We could easily sign both. The Bills will need to make a splash at one position in FA to sell some tickets (and improve as a team) WR is the best place to do that. The real problem could be keeping both happy and would Stevie be willing to accept a #2 spot. I personally would go after a Manningham or Meachom and try to sign a big time DB like Finneagan. Draft pass rushers and a deep threat wr.

And who will be your LT ?

I would like to see VJ here as well, but feel we need to get Defensive help before we spend big on a WR...that doesn't mean I don't think we need to add a veteran WR, but pony up the dollars to a DE AND OLB, then add a WR based upon whatever your Cash-to-Cap budget allows, because there are other good WRs available that won't command the type of money VJax or Bowe will and can substantially add to our offense, Garcon for one and I know he's been mentioned before so that's nothing new, just stating he's an example of how the Offensive need can be addressed without breaking the bank before we get the Defensive needs addressed...

The Bills are interested in any Charger (Nix) and Georgia Tech (Gailey) player. Jackson is likely SJ replacement.

OMG PEOPLE.

Nix was explicit about this - he's trying to re-sign SJ AND bring in a 2nd big WR.

He explicitly was asked what if they lose SJ, and he explicitly said "THEN WE NEED TO ADD TWO."

He'd have to have been straight-up lying to plan what you suggest, and regardless of what you think of his character - THERE IS NO VALUE TO HIM LYING NOW and then being called out and disappointing the fan base BEFORE the ticket sales period.

It's pretty obvious they want to resign Stevie and add a guy like VJ - maybe they can't pull it off (although there are a lot of good FA WR's out there so I think they can) - but it's clearly their plan.