Pro Bowl LT option for fraction of the cost

NY Nole

Chargers expected to cut LT M. McNeill. Could be another Merriman situation (due to obvious ties with Nix) -- but I wouldn't mind taking a chance on him assuming it is an incentive laden deal that hinges on his health. Could be an instant upgrade if he's healthy. I remember seeing him maul people in the Senior Bowl and wanting the Bills to draft him -- even with his back issues.

My link

Any thoughts?

My buddy teaches with his mom, and take this with a grain of salt, but last year when McNeil was a FA he joked with her about the Bills going after him. Her response was along the lines of "My baby is never playing up there".

Now, not sure if she meant that because of the weather, or the franchise, or what. Also, if he wanted to stay in San Diego, and now they are cutting him, he might not have another choice if he wants to continue to play and make money.

I definitely wouldnt mind bringing him in, depending on his contract. Maybe if we have both him AND Bell, they could combine to make it through an entire season. Or, we end up with two more guys for IR....

I thought about this when I saw the article this morning. As a player, he is great. But the neck thing scares me. You would still need to sign or draft another LT as insurance but this is a guy who I would not be surprised to sign here on a 1yr deal.

He has played a full season 3 out of 6 years. He appeared in only 20 of 32 possible games the last 2 years. He is no doubt pro bowl talent but is it over for him already? It would be nice to pick him up if the price was right. I just have no idea what the right price would be haha

Not a chance, OP.

The Bills would be absolute fools to sign McNeil.

Spinal stenosis plus extensive neck and back surgeries. Plural. Throw in age, too and that the back of a lineman is put under great stress every play.

What about that makes him appealing as a player that will stay on the field?

The man tempts fate just playing. He's one play away from making that whole "walking when I'm 50" not a when but an if.

Wont happen. The reason he is being cut is because they have a new guy in Jared Gaither. A guy The Bills considered trading for with Baltimore a couple of years back ( I think they wanted a second or maybe first round pick for him) anyways-He was traded from baltimore to KC and then was cut mid season-The Chargers picked him up on waivers out of necessity- Bills had a shot at him too but passed over him. The Chargers got him for nothing and he performed very well-They will resign him as their LT.

Why would The Bills pick up a beat up McNeil when they could have had the guy who replaced him for nothing? Oh wait-Its The Bills. They will probably sign him and give him the Chris Kelsey deal!

Chargers expected to cut LT M. McNeill. Could be another Merriman situation (due to obvious ties with Nix) -- but I wouldn't mind taking a chance on him assuming it is an incentive laden deal that hinges on his health. Could be an instant upgrade if he's healthy. I remember seeing him maul people in the Senior Bowl and wanting the Bills to draft him -- even with his back issues.

My link

Any thoughts?

Guy is a stud for sure, if he's healthy sign him.

My buddy teaches with his mom, and take this with a grain of salt, but last year when McNeil was a FA he joked with her about the Bills going after him. Her response was along the lines of "My baby is never playing up there".

Now, not sure if she meant that because of the weather, or the franchise, or what. Also, if he wanted to stay in San Diego, and now they are cutting him, he might not have another choice if he wants to continue to play and make money.

I definitely wouldnt mind bringing him in, depending on his contract. Maybe if we have both him AND Bell, they could combine to make it through an entire season. Or, we end up with two more guys for IR....

He'll love it up here just like the other athletes.

Wont happen. The reason he is being cut is because they have a new guy in Jared Gaither. A guy The Bills considered trading for with Baltimore a couple of years back ( I think they wanted a second or maybe first round pick for him) anyways-He was traded from baltimore to KC and then was cut mid season-The Chargers picked him up on waivers out of necessity- Bills had a shot at him too but passed over him. The Chargers got him for nothing and he performed very well-They will resign him as their LT.

Why would The Bills pick up a beat up McNeil when they could have had the guy who replaced him for nothing? Oh wait-Its The Bills. They will probably sign him and give him the Chris Kelsey deal!

How well did Gaither play? Seems like going into the season with him as their LT is a risky prop as well.

He has played a full season 3 out of 6 years. He appeared in only 20 of 32 possible games the last 2 years.

While we're at it, perhaps we should see if we can entice Jonas Jennings out of retirement.

Actually there were people on this forum last year who made this very suggestion (Jennings).

My link

Any thoughts?

Let injury prone Bell walk to sign a more seriously injury prone McNeil....Why not save all the trouble and just start Hairston then sign or draft someone to compete or back him up.