Offensive Woes

There is so much talk about the 10th pick in the draft on here. People talking about a QB, pass rusher, WR. Is there anyone else that will be 100% disappointed unless the Bills draft a O tackle. Let's be honest.... the bills may be close to getting back to the playoffs and without a stud LT I just don't see that happening. The bills have been plagued with wasted first round picks. Let's get ourselves a guy that can sit on our line for the next 12 years and when we do end up acquiring a young franchise QB he'll be well protected!!!!!! Also, I'm into Fitz. He may have had some poor games but IMO he's earned another year leading this team!!!

There is so much talk about the 10th pick in the draft on here. People talking about a QB, pass rusher, WR. Is there anyone else that will be 100% disappointed unless the Bills draft a O tackle. Let's be honest.... the bills may be close to getting back to the playoffs and without a stud LT I just don't see that happening. The bills have been plagued with wasted first round picks. Let's get ourselves a guy that can sit on our line for the next 12 years and when we do end up acquiring a young franchise QB he'll be well protected!!!!!! Also, I'm into Fitz. He may have had some poor games but IMO he's earned another year leading this team!!!

I wouldn't be completely opposed to drafting an OT at #10, but that depends entirely on what happens with D. Bell. I would much prefer the best pass rushing DE/OLB with #10 (Whitney Mercilus, Melvin Ingram). That said, if either Reiff or Adams slid to our pick in the 1st round, I wouldn't be opposed to either.

No one gives a flip who is drafted at 10. However, whoever he or she is, they damn well better play right out of the gate and make an impact. That's all that matters. If it's an OT, he better be layin d-linemen and LBs out on the run and protecting his QB.

The one thing you don't do with the #10 is draft a player that can't contribute for a year or two, or even worse, a bust. We don't need coddled, wussy, never was's (Like Maybin, JPL).

The only positive thing I could say about drafting an OT at #10 it is that its a "mature" decision. Not being sexy, but trying to build a foundation for the future.

I guess I could also say they were trying to build a dominant unit, which we havent had since the early 90s (linebackers).

I disagree completely. For one, Bell has actually proven himself to be a very good lineman, though his injury history is problematic. Let's take a look at a few of the current playoff teams and their left tackles:

New York Giants: Will Beatty. Late second-round pick.

New England Patriots: Matt Light. Late second-round pick.

San Francisco 49ers: Joe Staley. Late first-round pick.

Baltimore Ravens: Bryant McKinnie. Early first-round pick.

Green Bay Packers: Chad Clifton. Mid second-round pick.

Houston Texans: Duane Brown. Late first-round pick.

Denver Broncos: Ryan Clady. Mid first-round pick.

New Orleans Saints: Jermon Bushrod. Mid fourth-round pick.

For one, most of these tackles are not particularly good, though Clady and Bushrod are top-ten at the position; it is worth noting that Bushrod was a fourth-round pick. Guys like Jake Long and Joe Thomas, considered the best tackles in the league, play for losing teams. Recently, high picks like Jason Smith, Trent Williams, Russell Okung, Anthony Davis, and others have proven to either be busts or ineffective. With the exception of Davis, who is a weak right tackle for the 49ers, none of these players are on winning teams.

Left tackle is the most overrated position in the game.

New York Giants: Will Beatty. Late second-round pick.

New England Patriots: Matt Light. Late second-round pick.

San Francisco 49ers: Joe Staley. Late first-round pick.

Baltimore Ravens: Bryant McKinnie. Early first-round pick.

Green Bay Packers: Chad Clifton. Mid second-round pick.

Houston Texans: Duane Brown. Late first-round pick.

Denver Broncos: Ryan Clady. Mid first-round pick.

New Orleans Saints: Jermon Bushrod. Mid fourth-round pick.

For one, most of these tackles are not particularly good,

Yeah, those guys all suck. And OTs had noting to do with the 49ers success. It was all about Alex Smith.

Yeah, those guys all suck. And OTs had noting to do with the 49ers success. It was all about Alex Smith.

I'm not saying they suck; I'm saying they aren't the elite tackles of the league. Bell is as good as some of the players on that list, and, like Duane Brown and others, is injury-prone. My point is that using our first pick on a LT would be a waste.

Given our team needs, and what we currently have on the roster, adding a pass ruch in the form of a DE would improve the team much moreso than an OT. We need OL depth, and will probably need a starting OT (since i'm guessing Bell is gone), but a pass rush is much more pressing. An OT at #10 wouldn't be the worst pick, but it wouldn't be the best either.

The O-line was adequate last season. The pass rush cost us games. Guess what I would do?

PTR

The O line cost us games too. Fitz threw a ton of picks because he was under pressure. Oh, he also broke some of his ribs. Pass rush is a definite need but so is OL.

Given our team needs, and what we currently have on the roster, adding a pass ruch in the form of a DE would improve the team much moreso than an OT. We need OL depth, and will probably need a starting OT (since i'm guessing Bell is gone), but a pass rush is much more pressing. An OT at #10 wouldn't be the worst pick, but it wouldn't be the best either.

And not to forget that we still stunk in stopping the Run. We need a good DE that can also seal off the edge. For too often we let RBs run free on the outside.

The O line cost us games too. Fitz threw a ton of picks because he was under pressure. Oh, he also broke some of his ribs. Pass rush is a definite need but so is OL.

Fitz game went south when Wood was injured. When wood was playing, Fitz hardly felt pressure from the inside and really had that extra second to make the throw. If Wood comes back from his injury, we will be OK with this OL.

I wouldn't be completely opposed to drafting an OT at #10, but that depends entirely on what happens with D. Bell. I would much prefer the best pass rushing DE/OLB with #10 (Whitney Mercilus, Melvin Ingram). That said, if either Reiff or Adams slid to our pick in the 1st round, I wouldn't be opposed to either.

I agree, all things being equal, I'd rather re-sign Bell and get some pass rush help. I think the big

question is whether there is any REAL pass rush help in this draft that will be available at the 10th

pick. I love Upshaw's physicality and effort, but from my (admittedly limited) viewings of him, I don't

see a tremendous athlete with dynamic pass rush ability. I see a very strong bull-rusher who will

push the pocket, but won't be a great pass rusher.

Whitney Mercilus might be an answer, but I haven't read/seen enough and I am scared of the one

year of production.

Ingram looks pretty athletic and strong, but is he a great answer at less that 6'2"? He might be,

but I do wonder.

The same questions might be asked of the LTs, but I haven't seen a ton of questions raised about

them like I have with the "pass rushers".

My take on Mercilus not-withstanding, there have been many one-year-wonders who have succeeded

- Jason Pierre-Paul of the Giants being the last example that I can think of. There have also been

guys like Aaron Maybin who have not panned out.

Lots of time to debate this, especially with the combine coming up.

Edited by OldTimer1960

The main thing is to get an impact starter, if the best player avilable is a RB or not a need area trade down

I agree with the sentiment, but it is much harder in practice.

Let's assume for a moment that all NFL teams rate the draft-eligibles exactly the same (a BIG stretch).

If true, the draft order for players becomes (mostly) a matter of team need. I acknowledge that there may

be plateaus where teams might rate players at positions of lesser need significantly higher than the players

available at their positions of need.

The idea of a trade down is also not straight forward. If we accept the premises above, then what a lower

drafting team is willing to pay to move up is a function of their needs (and their player rankings).

In any given draft, the 10th pick might be worth more or less. In one draft, team 19 might trade their 19th

pick plus the 41st (or so) pick for pick 10. Whether that is a good deal or not depends on each team's

player rankings, team needs and the needs and rankings of every team.