Fred Jackson to get screwed?

Rob's House

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really? the greatest player story in football? You don't see, hear or read anything but Buffalo Bills right? Fred is a good RB, not a GREAT RB. that OL of ours (as crappy as it is) helped CJ put up decent stats as well. And unless Freds name and play changes to Adrian Peterson, then he is just another average back not worth a big payday at over 30 years old

Really? the greatest player story in football? You don't see, hear or read anything but Buffalo Bills right? Fred is a good RB, not a GREAT RB. that OL of ours (as crappy as it is) helped CJ put up decent stats as well. And unless Freds name and play changes to Adrian Peterson, then he is just another average back not worth a big payday at over 30 years old

A guy who struggled from D3 through the lowest levels of arena league to be a premier running back in the NFL? That's a pretty good player story. Why? What've you got that I'm missing, bright boy?

30 years old, coming off a broken leg not to mention he has one year left on his contract.....yeah he's getting screwed......

Really? It's not like he's coming back from a compound fracture, nor is he out of gas, nor is anyone suggesting a blockbuster megadeal. But I suppose those levels of discernment are beyond your comprehension.

Man if this is just another average back i bet every team in the league is signing up for one . This gut is every bit the best thing we've seen since Thurmon was here & if he wouldn't have met Marv he would still be playing arena ball .

Sure he's not the greatest football story but it's one hell of a good one . The rest of your post just shows what you know about FB , our line aloud the 3rd lest amount of sacks this year & boasted not one but 2 backs that carried the ball for over 5 YPC & if Fred wouldn't have gotten hurt would have been a shoe in for the pro bowl .

So like they say think before you hit send when you tweet , you should have put a lot more research into your thought before posting !!!!

Assuming this accurate, while I feel for FJ to some degree, it makes the most "business" sense so as to allow Buffalo to spend their cap money elsewhere, and since CJ is showed flashes of being what a #9 pick should be, I can understand the BILLS' reluctance to give him a "big" contract....also, White showed some signs of life as well and with the NFL being what it is today, I think it's smart on the BILLS' side...although it does suck for Fred

Second most yards from line of scrimmage in the NFL when he got hurt. But he's old! Dump him! CJ got 500 yards! Premier back!

I heard on the radio that the Bills have decided not to extend Jackson. A pretty sorry end to the greatest player story in football.

Interesting...

So in two weeks or so Buddy has completely gone back on his statement about Freddie? I'm kinda thinking not so much...Not saying someone did not say what you say you heard...Just saying...People say dumb things all the time on Sports Talk Radio...

A little reminder of Buddy's comments concerning Fred Jackson at his Presser...

"Does anybody in here know how long Fred Jackson’s contract is? You do, John? He’s a Bill for 14 months, a year from March 13th. Now, Fred and I have talked. We want to extend Fred. I’d like for Fred to finish his career as a Bill. He’s meant a lot to us. I’ve got great respect for him. I tell him that. We’re going to try to get something done. Does it matter if we do it or if we do it next week or a month from now? As long as we get it done before the season starts it’s all the same, really, seems to me. And it’s not like he’s going to get hurt playing now. But we do want Fred back and we do intend to try to workout a deal with him. I’ve told him that and I’m going to tell him again this week before I leave here. And just to re-assure him that what we said is what we’re going to do."

how exactly is this a sorry end when he isnt a free agent?

Quiet...........he's on a roll.

I think that Fred's a great back, but he is already signed thru next year, and the Bills have multiple other priorities right now.

Also, for those claiming the Bills are being unfair, they are the organization that gave him a chance when no one else was knocking down his door.

If he's that terrific still after this coming year, won't he get a huge contract as a free agent ? ?.....why the pity party ?

Edited by B-Man

Most likely a radio announcer said he thought the Bills will not extent. I hate stories like this, my friend does this all the time. If a broadcaster says they think something might happen he tell me its confirmed fact. The OP must be related to my friend.

From now on, after this if it does happen, I want all players who succeed like FJ to hold out for a contract... what the Bills did to him was unconscionable.

This turns me off in a BIG way... and it pisses me off to no end. Loyalty to a franchise gets you NOTHING these days. SHAME.

Edited by BmoreBills

so just to clarify - a radio station in Virginia, was the first to break this. OK...

Buddy would trade Fred before failing to extend him. He knows Fred is worth at least a 3rd.

Exactly -- there are too many embedded local reporters who would have that story before some dude in Virginia, not to mention the high profile insiders at ESPN, etc.

See if you can find a podcast, it would be interesting to hear the entire conversation.

I couldn't find a podcast but it was Mike Wilkening from Pro Football Weekly and he was interviewing a beat reporter who covers the Bills & a few other teams. He indicated that Nix said they've got him under contract for another year & plans to make him play it out. He said b/c Spiller broke out at the end of last season FJ has no leverage.

I heard on the radio that the Bills have decided not to extend Jackson. A pretty sorry end to the greatest player story in football.

This doesn't pass the smell test at all. The AP would have this before some unknown in a AM radio station. This is no different than the thread title that said the Bills are interested in Mario Williams.

I couldn't find a podcast but it was Mike Wilkening from Pro Football Weekly and he was interviewing a beat reporter who covers the Bills & a few other teams. He indicated that Nix said they've got him under contract for another year & plans to make him play it out. He said b/c Spiller broke out at the end of last season FJ has no leverage.

He's a repeating a WGR report from Jan 5 that Nix was in no hurry to get a deal done for Jackson since he's under contract for another season. That same report said Nix told Jackson he would have a deal before training camp. All the other stuff about Spiller and leverage is just speculation.

LINK

PTR

Edited by PromoTheRobot

What is Freddy asking for in a new contract? And would other teams be willing to pay him that if they were in the same situation? Not many RB's after age 30 get huge new deals. Much less after 2 good and one partially great season that was ended by an injury. I think letting next year play out and going from there is reasonable on the Bills' part, unless Freddy is asking for something like $4M/year, which I doubt.

From now on, after this if it does happen, I want all players who succeed like FJ to hold out for a contract... what the Bills did to him was unconscionable.

This turns me off in a BIG way... and it pisses me off to no end. Loyalty to a franchise gets you NOTHING these days. SHAME.

You are overreacting to a non story. If I said I heard the complete opposite on a radio station here in Delaware, would you believe me?

one 100 yard game is "breaking out"? For a second year first round pick? I really am done with the Bills if they don't keep Jackson.

Quiet...........he's on a roll.

I think that Fred's a great back, but he is already signed thru next year, and the Bills have multiple other priorities right now.

Also, for those claiming the Bills are being unfair, they are the organization that gave him a chance when no one else was knocking down his door.

If he's that terrific still after this coming year, won't he get a huge contract as a free agent ? ?.....why the pity party ?

Honestly B-Man, you surprise me. A few points:

1. The members of the Bills organization that gave him a chance are all long gone. He doesn't owe any gratitude to Buddy or Chan who all but tossed him aside on their way in only to stumble on to the fact that the guy can play.

2. I know it's all relative, because when I'm looking for people to be sorry for multi-millionaires don't typically make my list, but this guy signed a BACK UP contract and has played as the feature back for most of the past two years on that contract. It's not like he's a hot shot with 3 yrs left on his deal that wants a mega payday for 1 good year.

3. Giving the guy a decent bump (say $10-$12 mil/3 yrs with about 1/2 guaranteed) so you guarantee a solid 1-2 punch for the next couple years & give the man who has generated 10s of millions of $s & created the only real excitement this team has seen over the last several years enough so he can put a nice sum away and provide nicely for himself and his family after football. His window is getting narrow and I think it unethical to take away his last shot at a payday just because you can.

Edited by Rob's House

Honestly B-Man, you surprise me. A few points:

1. The members of the Bills organization that gave him a chance are all long gone. He doesn't owe any gratitude to Buddy or Chan who all but tossed him aside on their way in only to stumble on to the fact that the guy can play.

2. I know it's all relative, because when I'm looking for people to be sorry for multi-millionaires don't typically make my list, but this guy signed a BACK UP contract and has played as the feature back for most of the past two years on that contract. It's not like he's a hot shot with 3 yrs left on his deal that wants a mega payday for 1 good year.

3. Giving the guy a decent bump (say $10-$12 mil/3 yrs with about 1/2 guaranteed) so you guarantee a solid 1-2 punch for the next couple years & give the man who has made 10s of millions of $s & created the only real excitement this team has seen over the last several years enough so he can put a nice sum away and provide nicely for himself and his family after football. His window is getting narrow and I think it unethical to take away his last shot at a payday just because you can.

Fair enough sir,

I will stick with the argument that there are many other contract issues that should be addressed first.

Thanks.

one 100 yard game is "breaking out"? For a second year first round pick? I really am done with the Bills if they don't keep Jackson.

Why use 100 yard games as a criteria? It's not like he controls how many rushes he gets.

Well I heard Buddy Nix himself say in a Bills press conference that Jackson will get a new deal.

Maybe they are referring to this?

PTR

Probably someone who glanced at the headline of that and ran with it.

The team will have him take a physical probably sometime in March before OTAs. If it looks good then, they'll start talking seriously. But for right now, you don't blindly commit to a 30-year-old RB --- in a league where RBs have an average career of under 2 seasons (a full year less than the career-length average for all players) b/c of the pounding they take --- coming off of a leg injury.

Edited by UConn James

It does speak to the fact that as good as CJ may be you need a complementary back to go with him.

Maybe CJ is just that. A complimentary back. Gailey sure played him that way with Choice. Fred Jackson is the Bills MVP. No one contributed even close to his production before he went down. Around 40% of the offense if I remember. Unless Ralph truly wants even more ticket sales too evaporate, and delusional Chan maybe wants to use Freds extension money on say Ruvell Martin. Because this non story is just that. You got too wonder what misleading thread will pop up next? "Bruce Smith seen working out in VA gym"?

It does speak to the fact that as good as CJ may be you need a complementary back to go with him.

Because there is a lot of projecting with CJ. Fred is a proven asset.

Well until you use him more, you don't know his limits. Not that I don't agree with having a complementary back, since that's a good plan regardless. But what's a reasonable contract for Freddy, given his situation? And would he take it?

Edited by Doc

Well until you use him more, you don't know his limits. Not that I don't agree with having a complementary back, since that's a good plan regardless. But what's a reasonable contract for Freddy, given his situation? And would he take it?

What ever he wants is good. Again, #2 in the NFL in yards from scrimmage when he was hurt. The Bills are in no position to play games with a player on their roster of that caliber.

Assuming this accurate, while I feel for FJ to some degree, it makes the most "business" sense so as to allow Buffalo to spend their cap money elsewhere, and since CJ is showed flashes of being what a #9 pick should be, I can understand the BILLS' reluctance to give him a "big" contract....also, White showed some signs of life as well and with the NFL being what it is today, I think it's smart on the BILLS' side...although it does suck for Fred

I don't know much about how a "real" NFL organization organizes the budget spent on players but if the real world is anything like the franchise mode in Madden, then instead of reconstructing his current deal while he's still under contract, why don't we give him roster bonuses which comes straight from the owners pocket which wouldn't affect the cap at all?

I'm already pretty damn sure someone will respond " Cuz Ralph is cheap " to this

Beerball has forbidden me from expressing my honest opinion of you.

It was this morning from 10-11.

Beerball and Just Jack warned me also lol... So I know how you REALLY wanted to answer that dude haha...

I don't know much about how a "real" NFL organization organizes the budget spent on players but if the real world is anything like the franchise mode in Madden, then instead of reconstructing his current deal while he's still under contract, why don't we give him roster bonuses which comes straight from the owners pocket which wouldn't affect the cap at all?

I'm already pretty damn sure someone will respond " Cuz Ralph is cheap " to this

Roster bonuses hit the cap.