At the end of the day...I honestly think

I'm baffled by the hype on this guy here on TBD. What exactly is it about Courtney Upshaw that you guys all love so much? What am I missing? I see a good player, but I don't see a #10 player. Kinda like another guy that was reviled around here for years (HINT: He wore #20 and just made the NFC Championship game)

I'm baffled by the hype on this guy here on TBD. What exactly is it about Courtney Upshaw that you guys all love so much? What am I missing? I see a good player, but I don't see a #10 player. Kinda like another guy that was reviled around here for years (HINT: He wore #20 and just made the NFC Championship game)

To compare Upshaw to Whitner does nothing more than show you dont watch much college football.

Courtney Upshaw has been the leader, both emotionally and in productivity, for the last 3 years on the nation's best defense.

He has played major roles in 2 National Championships, most recently being names Defensive MVP in the 2011 National Championship.

He leads in sacks and tackles for loss ratio.

He can rush the QB, and play stout against the run.

He consistently and constantly makes plays. Never taking plays off.

And he just happens to play the position of our biggest need.

Edited by DrDareustein

To compare Upshaw to Whitner does nothing more than show you dont watch much college football.

Courtney Upshaw has been the leader, both emotionally and in productivity, for the last 3 years on the nation's best defense.

He has played major roles in 2 National Championships, most recently being names Defensive MVP in the 2011 National Championship.

He consistently and constantly makes plays.

I agree with your points, but I dont think Upshaw is quite the player that people make him out to be. He's a good overall player but he doesnt have any one skill that blows you away. He's not particularly fast or mobile and we need someone who can get to the quaterback.

Not to mention that he played alongside the best college defense in the nation that probably has 7 other NFL starters on the roster.. you could argue he'd be playing alongside worse talent on the bills.

I agree with your points, but I dont think Upshaw is quite the player that people make him out to be. He's a good overall player but he doesnt have any one skill that blows you away. He's not particularly fast or mobile and we need someone who can get to the quaterback.

Not to mention that he played alongside the best college defense in the nation that probably has 7 other NFL starters on the roster.. you could argue he'd be playing alongside worse talent on the bills.

Then the same argument could be made against every one of those other players, and we should draft none of them?

Cmon...

He was the LEADER on that Best in the Nation squad. They benefited from him as much or more than he benefited from them.

And I would argue that Dareus and K Williams would not be a drop off, considering he was playing next to Dareus just 1 year ago, and Williams comes right from their backyard.

He may not look fast, but he is quick and intense and tenacious. Bryce Paup wasnt the fastest guy on the field either. Neither are Pitt's OLBs.

The only reason it seems like he doesnt have one skill that blows you away, is because he is good at everything.

We'll be extremely lucky if he lasts until pick 10.

Edited by DrDareustein

Being dominant against the run isnt a skill that blows you away? Because it was the skill that blew the bills away when they took Darius.......

A couple of things here......

- People act like the bills have ZERO pass rush.....do they forget that Williams is coming back next year and will probably be the best he has looked in a long time now that the bone spur issue is resolved?

- Darius plays next to Williams....that means your interior guys are VERY good pass rushers......so the INTERIOR pass rush is resolved for the team

- In a 1st round pick yes you would like to have a Von Miller type rusher but you also want to get the most bang for your buck out of a 1st round pick......you want someone that is never going to have to come off the field.....can play in any front you employ......you want them as a foundation guy

UPSHAW is that player....he is a beast against the run is extremely physical and plays the game the way it should be played. In addition to this he does get pressure on the passer.

To me its a no brainer....then you bring in additional pass rush guys to go along with him that might not be as run dominanat so you can get them in later rounds.

He can rush the QB, and play stout against the run.

He consistently and constantly makes plays. Never taking plays off.

I have many things to say in response to this.

First of all, why do you feel the need to post every new thought

in a new paragraph

Do you think that I

Am incapable of

reading like a normal

human being?

Secondly, I didn't say Courtney Upshaw = Donte Whitner. What I said WAS I see a good player, but I don't see a player worth #10 overall. I see a player that will play well in the right scheme, in the right situations, with the right players around him. He's not a cornerstone guy. If you put 2-3 other trash linebackers out there with him, he's getting keyed on and he's getting shut down. He didn't see that at Bama, he had high quality players next to him, in front of him, and behind him.

Thirdly, you're correct, I don't watch much college football at all. Who is the University of Alabammer? Do they play in the AFC or the NFC? Who won the College World Series? What is this Hers-man Trophy everyone talks about? :rolleyes:

Fourth, oh, he's been the leader in productivity for the last 3 years? I think a guy named Rolando McClain was pretty good in 2009 (aka the first season you're talking about). He had 105 tackles, 14 TFL, 4 sacks, 2 INT and 2 forced fumbles. Upshaw in 2009 had 15 tackles, 1 TFL, 1 sack, and 1 fumble recovery (albeit for a TD). Correct me if I'm wrong, but 105 > 15 isn't it? It is? Oh, ok. So McClain was the leader in 2009. I will give you 2010 though. Upshaw had a good year, but so did Dont'a Hightower.

Fifth, he played major roles in two national championships, did he? Go look at a box score of the 2010 BCS Championship Game and let me know when you get to Upshaw's name on there. OH THERE HE IS, down at the bottom with one assisted tackle. ONE. ASSISTED. TACKLE. What a major role that is.

I understand you're hard up for this guy like many people here at TBD, but if you're gonna post you should at least check your facts. Post count =/= intelligence or accuracy. Check. Your move.

Safe pick, great player. Nix loves SEC players!! He won a championship and could be our next Biscuit, Bryce Paup, pass rush player. Unless you think it's Chris Kelsey??

Yes, but the Bills have said a number of times that they are looking for taller/bigger players. Upshaw does not fit the

prototype of the player the Bills are after. Might he be the best player available? Yes, but this regime has shown that

they very much value size. Look at the transformation of the OL since they got here and look at the selection of Dareus

last year.

I am not saying that they should not consider Upshaw (or Ingram for that matter), just that he doesn't exactly

match the measurables that they seem to be after in an OLB or DE.

Yes, but the Bills have said a number of times that they are looking for taller/bigger players. Upshaw does not fit the

prototype of the player the Bills are after. Might he be the best player available? Yes, but this regime has shown that

they very much value size. Look at the transformation of the OL since they got here and look at the selection of Dareus

last year.

I am not saying that they should not consider Upshaw (or Ingram for that matter), just that he doesn't exactly

match the measurables that they seem to be after in an OLB or DE.

Actually....that is interesting take because I thought this might be another reason WHY to consider Upshaw....

While he might not be the tallest player....that guy is biult like a tank. and naturally physicall strong at the point of attack......his play against the run and not get pushed around is really impressive to me....in a why he reminds me a lot of DARIUS

I agree with the posters that stated he's a good player but not an impact player. Still he has a great motor, has produced, and can be a solid contributor. However, like JM mentioned, if he's the only pass rusher we add he won't make a lick of difference. They'll key on him and shut him down. He would be a good complimentary player/pass rusher, but won't be an Aldon Smith. Definitely is a safe pick, as was Dareus.

I didn't say Courtney Upshaw = Donte Whitner. What I said WAS I see a good player, but I don't see a player worth #10 overall. I see a player that will play well in the right scheme, in the right situations, with the right players around him. He's not a cornerstone guy. If you put 2-3 other trash linebackers out there with him, he's getting keyed on and he's getting shut down. He didn't see that at Bama, he had high quality players next to him, in front of him, and behind him.

Fourth, oh, he's been the leader in productivity for the last 3 years? I think a guy named Rolando McClain was pretty good in 2009 (aka the first season you're talking about). He had 105 tackles, 14 TFL, 4 sacks, 2 INT and 2 forced fumbles. Upshaw in 2009 had 15 tackles, 1 TFL, 1 sack, and 1 fumble recovery (albeit for a TD). Correct me if I'm wrong, but 105 > 15 isn't it? It is? Oh, ok. So McClain was the leader in 2009. I will give you 2010 though. Upshaw had a good year, but so did Dont'a Hightower.

Fifth, he played major roles in two national championships, did he? Go look at a box score of the 2010 BCS Championship Game and let me know when you get to Upshaw's name on there. OH THERE HE IS, down at the bottom with one assisted tackle. ONE. ASSISTED. TACKLE. What a major role that is.

I understand you're hard up for this guy like many people here at TBD, but if you're gonna post you should at least check your facts. Post count =/= intelligence or accuracy. Check. Your move.

Ignoring the non-football BS...

We'll just have to disagree about how we project him. But he was most definitely keyed on while at Bama. And if you really get down to it, he'll be playing with at least 1 recent teammate in Dareus. Not to mention K Williams upfront, and Sheppard/Barnett next to him. Sheppard comes from a very good SEC defense too, and very well could have been a teammate.

As far as "leader vs stats" goes, fine, I meant "a" leader. You can pick on his Sophomore year, but he did see the field a lot on a stacked defense. Since then he has been the leader. You can pick through stats, but all you have to do is watch the games to see for yourself.

Again, we'll be lucky if he even lasts to #10. Keep an open mind on him as more draft reports come out, through the Combine, and up to the draft. He is far more talented than you are giving him credit for.

I think what I see with him is a "low ceiling" type of guy. He's above average as a rush LB in the 3-4 and as a DE in a 4-3, but elite at neither. Jack of all trades, master of none, if you will. Is that the player you pick in the top 10? Perhaps he is the BPA, then I say take him. Absolutely take him. He will be a good player, just maybe not a great one. Kind of like Schobel for this decade.

I will definitely be keeping an eye on him as the combine rolls around, etc. I respect your knowledge and opinion and I apologize for coming at you like that.

This playoff drought has taken every drop of optimism from us Bills fans (excluding The Senator). Yes we need a pass rush but everyone is forgetting that Kelsay is serviceable as a 4-3 DE. Also we have Alex Carrington, who was brought in for having a decent set of pass rushing skills in college, but put on a few pounds to play in the 3-4. Carrington is a question mark at this point but it will be good to see what he can do. We are also getting our best defensive lineman back in Kyle Williams. Add Dareus into the mix and I can see the Bills creating a defensive line that will wreck havoc for years. If you have two interior lineman who could both command a double team from the other teams, that takes a lot of pressure off of the outside rushers.

I would love to see Upshaw as a Bill, not because I believe that he will put up double digit sack totals, because he has proven his ability to make a difference in big games, and is very passionate about the sport. Not every player shows his leadership quality, nor his physicality. Upshaw has the potential to be our Terrell Suggs for 10+ years, and I would take a difference maker like that on my football team every day.

P.S.

I'm not saying that Upshaw HAS to be the pick. I'm just saying that at this point it looks like he would make a huge impact on our defense both as a player and a leader. I also like Ingram, Mercilus, and i'm 50/50 on Coples(laziness).

I can't wait for the draft.

I agree with the posters that stated he's a good player but not an impact player. Still he has a great motor, has produced, and can be a solid contributor. However, like JM mentioned, if he's the only pass rusher we add he won't make a lick of difference. They'll key on him and shut him down. He would be a good complimentary player/pass rusher, but won't be an Aldon Smith. Definitely is a safe pick, as was Dareus.

Of course I would like to see the Bills add more pass rush than one player, but I don't necessarily agree with the bolded above.

To key on Upshaw would take a player from someone else. Doing so could even free up Dareus just a bit. If Upshaw can perform well in the NFL (and I think he can), he would be a huge asset to the entire defense.

I think what I see with him is a "low ceiling" type of guy. He's above average as a rush LB in the 3-4 and as a DE in a 4-3, but elite at neither. Jack of all trades, master of none, if you will. Is that the player you pick in the top 10? Perhaps he is the BPA, then I say take him. Absolutely take him. He will be a good player, just maybe not a great one. Kind of like Schobel for this decade.

I will definitely be keeping an eye on him as the combine rolls around, etc. I respect your knowledge and opinion and I apologize for coming at you like that.

Schobel gets slighted imo because he had big shoes to fill, but I saw him win some games for this team. A young, healthy Schobel would have made us at least a .500 team in 2011 imo.

the more i read about Coples the more i hope he is there at 10 and thats who the Bills select

http://www.gbnreport.com/seniorbowlwrap.html

"All that said, here's our list of the Top 25 players down here this week, although the order is more subjective than scientific.

1) DE QUINTON COPLES, NORTH CAROLINA - dominated all week defending the run or pass"

However, I do wonder if Carolina would take Coples ahead of us. Seems like a natural fit.

What do we do if both Coples and Upshaw are gone? I'm thinking they go either OL, WR or CB. I think Ingram will be rated too low to take at that #10 spot.

To go really out there on comparisons- instead of whitner- I'll say Fred Jackson. Not quite the prototype but really solid at everything. Similarly lacking that breakaway speed you want at the position in a top ten pick, but because he's so good on all fronts, hopefully he can likewise be a productive impact player at this level.

http://www.gbnreport.com/seniorbowlwrap.html

"All that said, here's our list of the Top 25 players down here this week, although the order is more subjective than scientific.

1) DE QUINTON COPLES, NORTH CAROLINA - dominated all week defending the run or pass"

However, I do wonder if Carolina would take Coples ahead of us. Seems like a natural fit.

What do we do if both Coples and Upshaw are gone? I'm thinking they go either OL, WR or CB. I think Ingram will be rated too low to take at that #10 spot.

One thing that I don't like regarding what I've read and heard about Coples is that he is

being characterized as an underachiever. He reportedly didn't play anywhere near as well

this year as he did the previous year. He clearly has a TON of talent and natural ability, the

big question is whether he'll put forth enough effort to succeed in the NFL.

Another concern is that he is reportedly not a dominant pass rusher, rather more a solid

pass rusher who specializes in run defense.

There don't seem to be any guys being touted as truly outstanding pass rushers this year.

Of course, some of that depends on who is doing the evaluations and opinions can change

as the process moves forward.

If both Coples and Upshaw are gone, I think they'll consider Ingram, but likely opt for one

of the OTs that could be available. Beyond Justin Blackmon, I am not sure that there is a

WR worth the 10th overall pick. Maybe I am wrong, but I wasn't all that impressed with

Malcom Floyd when I saw him a couple of times this year, plus he's already had at least

one alcohol related problem.