Hire Frank Reich as new WR coach?

Of course I biased but we should hire Frank Reich as our new WR coach. He's been both a QB and WR coach during his stay in Indy. With Jim Caldwell's job up-in-the air (much like a punt from Moorman) there is a chance he becomes available this year.

I think that Frank is a quality person and on top of that he seemed like the smartest player on the field in Buffalo. He just didn't have the tools like Kelly did and also many of his best years were spent on the bench up. But I think having him on the team would be good for morale and just a good decision in general!

Of course I biased but we should hire Frank Reich as our new WR coach. He's been both a QB and WR coach during his stay in Indy. With Jim Caldwell's job up-in-the air (much like a punt from Moorman) there is a chance he becomes available this year.

I think that Frank is a quality person and on top of that he seemed like the smartest player on the field in Buffalo. He just didn't have the tools like Kelly did and also many of his best years were spent on the bench up. But I think having him on the team would be good for morale and just a good decision in general!

I'd be all for it. I understand that Wilson has consistently refused to hire former players on the dubious theory that "if you hire one you have to hire all of them". Um, no Ralph, you don't actually.

I'd be all for it. I understand that Wilson has consistently refused to hire former players on the dubious theory that "if you hire one you have to hire all of them". Um, no Ralph, you don't actually.

Don't forget Alex Van Pelt served on the Bills' staff.

maybe if you hire one that one wont shut about about hiring the rest....

Based on what? He's white and Christian? He was never on the field. James Lofton sounds much more articulate than Reich ever did, and he has played the position at a HOF level.

I think it's more important for the team to focus on bringing in a top tier WR first. great players make average coaches look good, great coaches make poor players look good. I'd like to team to focus on getting some talent in here first, look at Indy, they literally had the team's bus driver as a head coach the last few years...

He was a good player and a solid person but I would probably prefer a guy that was a WR full time. That being said if he knows how to coach the position he knows how to coach the position. Perhaps his QB knowledge would end up being an added benefit.

No luck on finding the article as the bills page archives ends in 2007. I believe the article was dated around the time that haslett was being considered for the hc job. I'll shoot an email to chris brown and see if he remembers the article and can link it for me

So, was this before or after he brought Marv Levy back as the GM...?

I also thought that Jim Kelly and Thurman Thomas currently work for the Bills in some capacity.

I'm also pretty sure Darryl Talley was a Training Camp last year, working with the Linebackers...

-Bill

To my knowledge Jim and Thurman are not on the payroll. They seem to be more team and area ambassadors if anything. DT was at training camp as a volunteer who has expressed interest in coaching. Marv was not a former player and as I recall Ralph was referring to bringing former players back into the folds not former staff. Hoping I can find the interview I'm referring to soon

To my knowledge Jim and Thurman are not on the payroll. They seem to be more team and area ambassadors if anything. DT was at training camp as a volunteer who has expressed interest in coaching. Marv was not a former player and as I recall Ralph was referring to bringing former players back into the folds not former staff. Hoping I can find the interview I'm referring to soon

Jim Kelly is a very well payed Buffalo Bills employee. Has been since the day he signed that contract when he retired from being a active player.

Not so sure about Pete, the o-line has been less than stellar. Frank on the other hand has done a heck of a job developing young talent at the wr position.

At a certain point a coach can only do so much. The players play the game. The truth? The Colts brass acquired better talent at WR than they did on the oline the past few years. Sean Kugler coached the Bills Oline which was a terrible unit. He goes to Pittsburgh and they go to the Super Bowl. Is he all of a sudden a better coach? Not that the Steelers line was that great that year, but they were good enough. About talent. Once a team has talent then you can look more at the coach. Like Wade Phillips in Dallas. Not a bad coach, but there was too much talent across the board for them to be underachieving.

Luckily your understanding has no bearing on what Bills do or in reality (facts) actually.

If the time was right, I would think this to be an ok move...but would this decision be based on results, or based upon what we HAD in Frank Reich?

I think if a Jim Kelly-led ownership group were running the show, this would make great sense.

But with the current staff, I don't see a former player as much of an incentive.

At a certain point a coach can only do so much. The players play the game. The truth? The Colts brass acquired better talent at WR than they did on the oline the past few years. Sean Kugler coached the Bills Oline which was a terrible unit. He goes to Pittsburgh and they go to the Super Bowl. Is he all of a sudden a better coach? Not that the Steelers line was that great that year, but they were good enough. About talent. Once a team has talent then you can look more at the coach. Like Wade Phillips in Dallas. Not a bad coach, but there was too much talent across the board for them to be underachieving.

Pittsburgh's line has been atrocious the past three seasons. Big Ben might as well be playing behind a row of Styrofoam cucumbers.

Likewise, look at the jump the Texans D made this year...because of Wade Philips.

Soooooo...I'm not sure what your post is aiming at with either of these examples... :unsure:

James Lofton was heavily considered for a job a few years back as well...

Lofton is the guy I wold want for receivers coach. I would like Reich as QB coach.

Based on what? He's white and Christian? He was never on the field. James Lofton sounds much more articulate than Reich ever did, and he has played the position at a HOF level.

I like Lofton as WR receiver coach as well, I do see how a QB could help WR's though. Reich was a huge help to Kelly when they played together. I do think he is a very good coach.

Of course I biased but we should hire Frank Reich as our new WR coach.

I think this would be a solid hire. In addition to having developed some good WR, I think Reich is a nuts-and-bolts kind of QB. I think everything Kellly did was instinctive. I think Reich, on the other hand, built a career for himself by being very aware of and able to improve technique. It would help Fitz to have someone like that on staff.

I vaguely remember the same but not context. I wrote it off as a situational excuse instead of a bullet proof life philosophy though.

Finally heard back from Chris Brown about that comment and here's what he said:

AskChris AskChris@bills.nfl.net

3:50 PM (5 hours ago)

to me

You have a better memory than I do (lol). I believe Mr. Wilson was joking with his response as I recall. If you're wondering about Jim Kelly he has no interest in being a coach.

Second, Mr. Wilson allows his head coach to pick his staff.

So again, it was said, but I may not have remembered the context in which it was implied. I believe the question asked when RW gave that answer was about Kelly and Thomas becoming coaches/scouts.