Mike Mularkey is Jags new head coach

mellaman101

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I know, from my "insider" at One Bills Drive, the day Mike Mularkey resigned from the Bills was considered a very sad day for Bills employees...Gregg Williams, not so much. From all accounts I have heard, Mularkey was a class guy, well liked by all, including Mr Wilson. I can't say that I blame him for leaving when he did, but I think he was the best of the three previous Bills coaches (Jauron, Williams and MM), and it is interesting to think how things might have been different had he stayed on. I really think he and Levy would have worked well together, and we might have avoided the most recent "missing years" of Buffalo Bills football.

What was the inside story about why he quit? It really pissed me off that he quit.

I put it down to the fact that he was reading tea leaves a bit too much. Remember, Ralph brought Marv in - who still had a chub about returning one day as HC. Ralph said, "No f'n way!" But, MM evidently didn't believe him - or didn't have enough confidence in his own abilities that he would survive a losing streak without having Marv tap him on the shoulder, fire him and return to the HC role.

JMHO.

Also, IIRC - Marv was hired as a consultant prior to being named GM. I think it was Donna-the-Ho that said of Marv, "He's running around here like a dictator. Everything has to go through him." Soon after TD was thrown back to Mort's love nest and Ralph anointed Marv the new GM - with far fewer powers than he'd given to the smartest-man-in-football-with-an-unerring-nose-for-talent-and-impeccable-credentials-for-building-a-powerful-NFL-franchise - said same Donna-the-Ho.

I could be wrong with some of that, but that's how my mind remembers that sullied chapter in the franchise's history.

IIRC, Meathead completely lost the team in '05. Pissed off plenty of vets like Moulds, etc. Not to mention his textbook "how-not-to-handle-a-QB-situation" shenanigans with Losman and Holcomb.

Reuben Brown too, as I remember. That team just starting running for the bus by November. That said, I think Mularkey had the potential to outgrow his early problems as a head coach. I don't htink he was going to do it in Buffalo if we extended him for five more seasons, but with some time under a good coach in Atlanta, he might have figured out how to manage the team.

Of course, if we see Maurice Jones-Drew throwing passes late in the 4th quarter while protecting a small lead against the Titans, we'll know Meathead can never change.

Good for him and wish him well!

Nice to see what he can do without Ralph Wilson around and a owner who wants to win.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/7448807/source-jacksonville-jaguars-hire-mike-mularkey-coach

AHAHAHA...I mean, wow I feel bad for Jags fans. They are basically guaranteed to suck for another 3+ years.

Mularkey's offense performed so well against a poor defense last week, that the Jags must have been dying to get him...Considering the 27th ranked Giants defense shut out a relatively loaded ATL offense (2 points coming via safety). Perhaps it was the impressive showing that Mularkey put on as the Bills head coach? Or Miami's offensive coordinator?

I just really don't get it, the guy has basically failed everywhere, yet he is considered top OC talent...The funny thing is the only other guy the Jags were talking about was Brian Schottenheimer, another awful and over hyped OC.

The Jags are starting to make me feel good about being a Bills fan...

Edited by Turbosrrgood

AHAHAHA...I mean, wow I feel bad for Jags fans. They are basically guaranteed to suck for another 3+ years. Mularkey's offense performed so well against a poor defense last week, that the Jags must have been dying to get him...Considering the 27th ranked Giants defense shut out a relatively loaded ATL offense (2 points coming via safety). Perhaps it was the impressive showing that Mularkey put on as the Bills head coach? Or Miami's offensive coordinator?

I just really don't get it, the guy has basically failed everywhere, yet he is considered top OC talent...The funny thing is the only other guy the Jags were talking about was Brian Schottenheimer, another awful and over hyped OC.

The Jags are starting to make me feel good about being a Bills fan...

I agree with you. I don't know what Jacksonville sees. Then again, I don't know why they are keeping Gabbert either.

He was a terrible coach. My favorite play was when he had Roscoe Parrish line up under center and threw a wounded duck pass to JP Losman in the flat. This while Roscoe was wearing a cast on his throwing hand from a fractured wrist. Brilliant! He's Jacksonville's problem now.

I remember when he was hired- some players welcomed him by calling him coach.

His response was: "Don't call me coach, call me Mike".

Not that it means anything, but that bothered me right from the start.

I forgot about that. You are correct sir.

I am not a fan of Meathead. He must be impressive in meetings though. He got the Bills job after a down year for him in Pittsburgh...........they were fine with him leaving. Now he gets Jags job after that playoff game the other day.........getting shut the hell out with an offense that featured Matt Ryan, Michael Turner, Roddy White, Julio Jones and Tony Gonzalez?

Good point. This guy was given all the tools on offense and he still goes one and done--2 years in a row--getting blasted in the playoffs.

What exactly does Jax owner think he's going to do there??

Good point. This guy was given all the tools on offense and he still goes one and done--2 years in a row--getting blasted in the playoffs.

What exactly does Jax owner think he's going to do there??

work for cheap ?.....i doubt Jax owner has any interest in paying $10 mil/year for Fisher, Cowher, Gruden, etc....

at least Ralph tried to pay $10 mil...but was turned down.....lol

Said JJ Hunsecker…

You get a gold star -- I love this dirty town...

Tony Dungy?

Maybe not a prick, but a bestselling author and TV studio host certainly points the needle toward narcissist

Edited by nbash

Good for him and wish him well!

Nice to see what he can do without Ralph Wilson around and a owner who wants to win.

http://espn.go.com/n...-mularkey-coach

Seems to me he's still the same guy who outsmarts himself after last week when he repeatedly tried QB sneaks on 4th and short despite having Michael Turner.

Meathead will not be successful IMO.

Reuben Brown too, as I remember. That team just starting running for the bus by November. That said, I think Mularkey had the potential to outgrow his early problems as a head coach. I don't htink he was going to do it in Buffalo if we extended him for five more seasons, but with some time under a good coach in Atlanta, he might have figured out how to manage the team.

Of course, if we see Maurice Jones-Drew throwing passes late in the 4th quarter while protecting a small lead against the Titans, we'll know Meathead can never change.

No, Ruben went postal in the final days of the Williams regime, not Mularkey's.

I know, from my "insider" at One Bills Drive, the day Mike Mularkey resigned from the Bills was considered a very sad day for Bills employees...Gregg Williams, not so much. From all accounts I have heard, Mularkey was a class guy, well liked by all, including Mr Wilson. I can't say that I blame him for leaving when he did, but I think he was the best of the three previous Bills coaches (Jauron, Williams and MM), and it is interesting to think how things might have been different had he stayed on. I really think he and Levy would have worked well together, and we might have avoided the most recent "missing years" of Buffalo Bills football.

Agree with this (except for the Levy part).

malarkey or malarky

— n

slang nonsense; rubbish

I loved when he was the coach simply for the reason I could complain about "the mularkey play calling". Seriously when your name is a homonym for one that means nonsense or rubbish it does not inspire confidence lol.

What was the inside story about why he quit? It really pissed me off that he quit.

I thought that MM had quit partly due to psychological issues - something about stress on him and/or his family or something....kids getting picked on in school when the Bills lost, etc. He's putting himself back in the front seat - wonder how it will be any different.

Of course, in Jacksonville, no one really cares, so maybe that will be a good place for him!