Good-bye to Seats at the Ralph

Kim653

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When this was announced, I was afraid that people like the OP would just say eff this whole thing. Really - there was absolutely nothing wrong with having the smoking areas. I don't smoke, so I don't have a dog in this fight. I used to smoke, mostly when I was drinking and when I was really stressing. So, I know what it's like to really need one.

The Bills should not be making their pool of potential ticket buyers smaller. It is so much overkill it's ridiculous. I didn't even know where the smoking area was, that is how tucked away the thing must have been.

I hear you buddy, no rules against dipping yet

Not true. I'm pretty sure they've banned all tobacco products. Pretty sure a friend of mine got yelled at for dipping. Me personally, I used to go with Cherry Skoal but now I stick to Camel Snus. They are much neater, and easier to conceal. Not that I need to conceal for work at all but if you did need to it helps you get through your day.

Have no issue with the smoking bans where they are enforced for everyone - and do not defend the habit. But the exception for the Press Box folks is what made me mad. Would renew our seasons if not for this exception.

There is no equality in this country (world) just haves and have nots and most of us are have nots, just the way the haves want it.

The taking away of freedoms and the fun of the game at the Ralph is not limited to smoking. Of course there should be a smoking area, but the parking mandates, the searches down to the toes for an illicit flask, etc. It is a footbal game not disneyland. I do not smoke but I am against all these rules.

Let people enjoy the games, for Pete's sake.

What's so important about DisneyLand.

Don't worry martial law will be the order of the day soon enough.

What you need to do is grow a set and kick cigarettes ass instead of letting them control your life

I think Kim is a girl.

There should be no second class citizens in America. That's kinda the idea of . . . America.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

By the way especially for a piss-poor team like the Bills, these rules are a killer. I am sure that if people could enjoy their tailgate experience, have some freedom to use a smoking area, and not be banned from taking a little cheap real booze in by TSA-quality full body searches (for your own 'safety' (Eff you very much!!)), maybe there would have been a few less empty seats for the last couple of home games. Drive away the last of the buying public that can stomach your sh**tty product, excellent strategy.

I disagree with the OP's decision to give up going to games since I believe it was a county decision, not the team's, to eliminate all smoking inside the stadium. That said, she still brings up a great point about the double standard in effect for press members smoking inside the stadium.

Of course that point was lost on many of you replying in this thread, who sound like stark raving mouthbreathers tearing into the OP who was making a sound, albeit unpopular, point. Seriously, some of you (jumbalaya, georgeedwardsteeth) sound less educated and more unreasonable than the people arguing about religion on PPP.

I don't smoke and the ban has made the situation worse in the stadium for nonsmokers, not better. Visit any restroom now during the game and it smells like smoke - not the case when there were designated outdoor smoking areas before the ban.

As far as smoke "wafting" towards me from a smoking area 40 yards away through 2 or 3 concrete walls, sorry, i've yet to experience that, probably because it's physically impossible.

Guys from the Press Box are allowed to walk 5 feet outside the gate, smoke their cigarette, and then come right back into the stadium.

If my job required me to cover this team, I would be a chain smoker, raging alcoholic and probably a crack addict as well.

By the way especially for a piss-poor team like the Bills, these rules are a killer. I am sure that if people could enjoy their tailgate experience, have some freedom to use a smoking area, and not be banned from taking a little cheap real booze in by TSA-quality full body searches (for your own 'safety' (Eff you very much!!)), maybe there would have been a few less empty seats for the last couple of home games. Drive away the last of the buying public that can stomach your sh**tty product, excellent strategy.

This is exactly what I was saying, but you said it much better!

And, BTW, it was a Bills decision. Not a county decision.

No I missed nothing. I smoked for almost 40 years. This thread is pretty darn pathetic from the standpoint

that an addiction can set one's priorities. Its sad, that a addiction can end 50 year tradition, 10 years tix,(if true).

No I get your point. You don't see the stupidity of the action because your addiction to nicotine now rules your world.

trust me smoking laws will be getting stricter everywhere, you're in a heap of trouble.

Yep, if it helps you through your day and cope with life then it's bad for you. But don't feel singled out, that guy slaps pacifiers out of babies mouths and kicks walkers out from under the elderly too. Can't have pacifiers ruling our infants lives!

Saw our last home game Saturday at the Ralph - after 10 years as a season ticket holder in the club seats (sad)! And 50 years of going with my Dad to games and sitting in his season seats. Never thought we would give them up - but this whole smoking ban really made us mad. Guys from the Press Box are allowed to walk 5 feet outside the gate, smoke their cigarette, and then come right back into the stadium. You or me -NO. I am a considerate smoker (would only smoke away from non-smokers), but this is ridiculous. There is enough smoke in the parking lot every Sunday to cloud the air when the wind is still. When we bought our seasons, we had heated seats, minimal hassle getting into the game, and staff that made you feel appreciated. All of that is gone.

Did some research, and found that only 3 of the 31 stadiums have rules similar to the Ralph. The other 90% of the stadiums either have smoking areas or allow fans to go to their cars and then re-enter the stadium. Washington even has a cigar bar in their stadium.

I am not defending a bad habit - but the overuse of alcohol is an equally bad habit. This is okay since the organization makes money on this one!

I am surprised that the Bills did this to further reduce their season ticket base - but it is their business to run. Looking forward to road trips next season to see our Bills - and ENJOY the experience.

I wonder if they ran out of cheese in your whine section.

They should ban cigarettes everywhere. Those things just cause cancer. You want to smoke - cool. Just be prepared to be treated like a 2nd class citizen. You will get no sympathy

I think they should ban your ability to use the internet. it is called freedom. Quit stepping on it you commie.

Why don't you bring a water bottle in and dip if you can't go 3 hours without a cigarette?

That's way more disgusting to see than smoking is.

I am glad that there is a smoking ban. The NFL would do its fans a favor by banning alcohol in stadiums too.

Can't do that because they make money off of alcohol sales.

Guys from the Press Box are allowed to walk 5 feet outside the gate, smoke their cigarette, and then come right back into the stadium. You or me -NO.

I agree with this one point. A smoking ban should be a ban for everyone, not just some of the people.

Have no issue with the smoking bans where they are enforced for everyone - and do not defend the habit. But the exception for the Press Box folks is what made me mad. Would renew our seasons if not for this exception.

Double standards. I watched the ROAD BLOCK, on Abbott Road, in front of the Ralph the past couple weeks. Only Emergence vehicles responding to emergences (Fire trucks, Ambulances, Rescue Squad etc.)where supposed to be allowed thru. Not the private vehicles that I saw go thru the barriers.

Buffalo Bills, Tear Down those Barricades on Abbott Road. Free the road for all to use. It did nothing to speed traffic up. It looks like it caused more problems than it was worth.

From what you've explained the folks with press passes are going outside of the stadium fences into the parking lots to smoke. I could see being upset that they can smoke and you can't, but the loophole is that they have press passes and are permitted re-entry and you are not with your ticket. It's not like the rules are different for them than you with regards to smoking, just with regards to re-entry.

Not true. I'm pretty sure they've banned all tobacco products. Pretty sure a friend of mine got yelled at for dipping. Me personally, I used to go with Cherry Skoal but now I stick to Camel Snus. They are much neater, and easier to conceal. Not that I need to conceal for work at all but if you did need to it helps you get through your day.

No rules against dipping according to the Bill's Fans rules of conduct.

Saw our last home game Saturday at the Ralph - after 10 years as a season ticket holder in the club seats (sad)! And 50 years of going with my Dad to games and sitting in his season seats. Never thought we would give them up - but this whole smoking ban really made us mad. Guys from the Press Box are allowed to walk 5 feet outside the gate, smoke their cigarette, and then come right back into the stadium. You or me -NO. I am a considerate smoker (would only smoke away from non-smokers), but this is ridiculous. There is enough smoke in the parking lot every Sunday to cloud the air when the wind is still. When we bought our seasons, we had heated seats, minimal hassle getting into the game, and staff that made you feel appreciated. All of that is gone.

Did some research, and found that only 3 of the 31 stadiums have rules similar to the Ralph. The other 90% of the stadiums either have smoking areas or allow fans to go to their cars and then re-enter the stadium. Washington even has a cigar bar in their stadium.

I am not defending a bad habit - but the overuse of alcohol is an equally bad habit. This is okay since the organization makes money on this one!

I am surprised that the Bills did this to further reduce their season ticket base - but it is their business to run. Looking forward to road trips next season to see our Bills - and ENJOY the experience.

I'm sorry you feel that way but I have to tell you, we gave up our seasons in 2007 which we had for years because my Dad, a heavy smoker, couldn't handle the walk without getting seriously out of breath. Rather than give up the tickets, please consider giving up smoking. I am sure you must have thought about it a million times and I don't meant to get all paternalistic and patronizing on you. You are too smart not to know that sooner or later, you are going to have to give them up. I used to smoke and a diagnosis of kidney cancer in 1998 forced me to quit screwing around with my life. Maybe this is the time for you to take your shot at ridding yourself of this.

Anyone find it odd that people allow smoking to make their decisions for them?

It's an addiction. A really bad one.

Edited by Mickey

Can't do that because they make money off of alcohol sales.

Not only from sales but watch any NFL game and count the number of beer makers and their commercials. The league and the networks make $100's of millions (if not billions) of dollars thru alcohol advertising. So there's no way they are going to ban beer sales in the stadiums.

Frankly, I find the obnoxious drunk to be more of a nuisance at a game than somebody smoking. Once time while watching a game at home as the camera pans thru the crowd showing various fans, my wife asked, 'why don't they show a group of drunken a-holes fighting on the upper deck'? I answered, 'because the commerial sponsors won't like that'.

I'm a non-smoker but I never had a problem with letting other's go for a smoke in a designated smoking area. IMO, governments are really hypocrites when it comes to smoking. They issue all kinds of decrees and bans against smokers but have taken billions in payouts from funds negotiated with cigarette companies via litigation. They even issue bonds to fund their pet projects, all backed by the future stream of income from these payments.

smoking is dumb.... that is all

People enjoy lots of things that are dumb. Should we ban them all? Some people ENJOY smoking and drinking while watchign football, it is just a fact. I am a non smoker non drinker but I empathize completely it is ridiculous to not set up a smokking section, it is gods green earth the Ralph is standing on, not the inside of an airplane

Well if anyway like me, I drink and watch football. When I drink I like smoking. When the Bills are losing I get stressed and want to smoke. Maybe I should just quit football and get rid of my habits....... The Bills havnt been too rewarding lately.

So in terms of physical impact over the long haul, the cigarettes will ruin your lungs, but the Bills will tear your heart out. Hmmm, interesting choice.

actually cigarettes are a major cause of acute coronary artery disease as well so cigs are either going to give ya a heart attack, cancer or emphysema or both and future of having to carry around a tank in your later years gasping for breath. But go for it ya only live once

In sum, you would rather quit going to Bills games than quit smoking? Wow. Priorities seem a bit messed up.

I smoked cigarettes when I was in college, and still smoke cigars on occasion at my home. Even with that, I don't have a lot of sympathy here. Cigarette smoke can be very irritating to non smokers, even a ways away. Going 3 hours with out a smoke isn't the end of the world.

Who knows, it might even save your life.

The Ralph isn't exactly over flowing with extra space, I'm sure that factors in to them not having smoking areas.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

I am not a smoker so forgive me for not being able to empathize.I have a question I'd like a smoker to answer. Is it really that hard to go without a cigarette for 3 to 4 hours on a Sunday 7 times a year? Is it really that addictive? I can understand why Kim might be upset about the double standard but still can't get why she would give up her seats over not being able to smoke in such a small window of time. Would she have given up the seats if the double standard was not there? I like to drink, but if I was prevented from drinking inside the stadium, it would not cause me to stop going. There must be periods of time during the day when a smoker does not smok for 3-4 hours. Right?

I am not a smoker so forgive me for not being able to empathize.I have a question I'd like a smoker to answer. Is it really that hard to go without a cigarette for 3 to 4 hours on a Sunday 7 times a year? Is it really that addictive? I can understand why Kim might be upset about the double standard but still can't get why she would give up her seats over not being able to smoke in such a small window of time. Would she have given up the seats if the double standard was not there? I like to drink, but if I was prevented from drinking inside the stadium, it would not cause me to stop going. There must be periods of time during the day when a smoker does not smok for 3-4 hours. Right?

This ^ is the key, I think this is more about "rights" for her...

As far as the drinking analogy...It's not about whether its good for YOU or not...

I've never heard of someone getting drunk from second hand drinking... If a person near you chooses to drink, you are not forced to drink with them. When one smokes though, you are forced to smoke with them.

Edited by Turbosrrgood

Wow... :blink:

I was ready to come in here and sympathize as, after 20+ years of going to the games with my father, and almost 40 years of being season ticket holders, my family decided we should give up our tickets after the 2009 season.

But, we gave up the tickets as a protest against Ralph and the Bills for consistently putting out a sub-par product. Not because they took away our favorite drug.

There are many valid reasons to give up your tickets, unfortunately I dont think this is one of them.

Good luck on your health in the future.

This ^ is the key, I think this is more about "rights" for her...

As far as the drinking analogy...It's not about whether its good for YOU or not...

I've never heard of someone getting drunk from second hand drinking... If a person near you chooses to drink, you are not forced to drink with them. When one smokes though, you are forced to smoke with them.

(this reply is not aimed at you specifically, T-good)

Rights?!? This is the worst argument from the smokers' side. They sound so ridiculous when they get all huffy about their "rights".

As far as I know, there is nothing in the Constitution or Bill of Rights that says anything about people being allowed to do their drug of choice whenever and where ever they feel like it.

Nor is anything written regarding the right to subject other people to your habit and mess with their health and safety.

Her rights go about as far as her ability to stay home and smoke on her own property, since her drug of choice is legal. That's about it.

Edited by DrDareustein