Good-bye to Seats at the Ralph

Kim653

Saw our last home game Saturday at the Ralph - after 10 years as a season ticket holder in the club seats (sad)! And 50 years of going with my Dad to games and sitting in his season seats. Never thought we would give them up - but this whole smoking ban really made us mad. Guys from the Press Box are allowed to walk 5 feet outside the gate, smoke their cigarette, and then come right back into the stadium. You or me -NO. I am a considerate smoker (would only smoke away from non-smokers), but this is ridiculous. There is enough smoke in the parking lot every Sunday to cloud the air when the wind is still. When we bought our seasons, we had heated seats, minimal hassle getting into the game, and staff that made you feel appreciated. All of that is gone.

Did some research, and found that only 3 of the 31 stadiums have rules similar to the Ralph. The other 90% of the stadiums either have smoking areas or allow fans to go to their cars and then re-enter the stadium. Washington even has a cigar bar in their stadium.

I am not defending a bad habit - but the overuse of alcohol is an equally bad habit. This is okay since the organization makes money on this one!

I am surprised that the Bills did this to further reduce their season ticket base - but it is their business to run. Looking forward to road trips next season to see our Bills - and ENJOY the experience.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not defending a bad habit - but the overuse of alcohol is an equally bad worse habit by a factor of about 100.

Fixed. But only a handful of people are seriously injured/killed by drunken football fans each year, so hey, this Bud's for you! :thumbsup:

Besides, if it wasn't for smokers, who would we be able to discriminate against?

I am surprised that the Bills did this to further reduce their season ticket base - but it is their business to run. Looking forward to road trips next season to see our Bills - and ENJOY the experience.

It's a league wide ban, don't expect to be able to smoke on any of your road trips either. It is sad that you're giving the tickets up, and that you let smoking control your life so much, also that you joined a Bills message board and your first post is a complaint about smoking not being permitted at the stadium.

Edited by Carey Bender

Sorry to hear you're giving up your seasons.

Also sorry to hear about the double standard on smoking that allows the media members to smoke in the stadium. There should not be a double standard… particularly because the paying customers are the ones lining Ralph's pockets. I know for some people it's not so much not being able to smoke as it is the principle that they are paying customers being treated poorly.

I've quit smoking but fully support the rights of others to smoke courteously… in fact, my wife still smokes.

I've been to numerous airports that have smoking areas and many that don't. Naturally the Bills would be the last team in the league to accommodate smokers… it would entail spending money that they're not mandated to spend.

I agree with your point about the lenience towards drinking based on beer sales revenue. It's like the entire NFL is fighting itself on the issues of the selling of alcohol vs rowdiness in the stadium. The NFL is talking out both sides of its mouth on that one.

I think the NFL still has lots of work to do as far as how to treat its fans who attend games and buy season tickets.

It's a league wide ban, don't expect to be able to smoke on any of your road trips either. It is sad that you're giving the tickets up, and that you let smoking control your life so much, also that you joined a Bills message board and your first post is a complaint about smoking not being permitted at the stadium.

What about what Kim says about some stadiums having smoking areas and other stadiums allowing fans to leave and return?

Going to football games is pretty damned expensive.

Why should paying customers be treated poorly?

This issue is much less about smoking and much more about how a business treats its customers, IMO.

Have no issue with the smoking bans where they are enforced for everyone - and do not defend the habit. But the exception for the Press Box folks is what made me mad. Would renew our seasons if not for this exception.

Fixed. But only a handful of people are seriously injured/killed by drunken football fans each year, so hey, this Bud's for you! :thumbsup:

Besides, if it wasn't for smokers, who would we be able to discriminate against?

The morbidly obese and gingers.

Why should paying customers be treated poorly?

This issue is much less about smoking and much more about how a business treats its customers, IMO.

They are considering how they treat their customers. Hence the ban.

It's also probably a bonus for stadium maintenance issues as well as insurance rates.

1324949469[/url]' post='2346043']

Have no issue with the smoking bans where they are enforced for everyone - and do not defend the habit. But the exception for the Press Box folks is what made me mad. Would renew our seasons if not for this exception.

Sounds like a law suit

The taking away of freedoms and the fun of the game at the Ralph is not limited to smoking. Of course there should be a smoking area, but the parking mandates, the searches down to the toes for an illicit flask, etc. It is a footbal game not disneyland. I do not smoke but I am against all these rules.

Let people enjoy the games, for Pete's sake.

Saw our last home game Saturday at the Ralph - after 10 years as a season ticket holder in the club seats (sad)! And 50 years of going with my Dad to games and sitting in his season seats. Never thought we would give them up - but this whole smoking ban really made us mad. Guys from the Press Box are allowed to walk 5 feet outside the gate, smoke their cigarette, and then come right back into the stadium. You or me -NO. I am a considerate smoker (would only smoke away from non-smokers), but this is ridiculous. There is enough smoke in the parking lot every Sunday to cloud the air when the wind is still. When we bought our seasons, we had heated seats, minimal hassle getting into the game, and staff that made you feel appreciated. All of that is gone.

Did some research, and found that only 3 of the 31 stadiums have rules similar to the Ralph. The other 90% of the stadiums either have smoking areas or allow fans to go to their cars and then re-enter the stadium. Washington even has a cigar bar in their stadium.

I am not defending a bad habit - but the overuse of alcohol is an equally bad habit. This is okay since the organization makes money on this one!

I despise smoking, it is a disgusting habit. That said, I agree with you. They are making a mistake by pussifying the experience. The core of the NFL fan base are people who want to have a party, take a break from their worries and let out some frustration by seeing their team beat another with some controlled violence.

Life is tough, so did you give up flying, shopping, movies, hockey, baseball, quit work, etc. Of all the reasons to quit supporting Ralphs "teams" Yours takes the cake.

They are considering how they treat their customers. Hence the ban.

It's also probably a bonus for stadium maintenance issues as well as insurance rates.

Uh, how about smoking sections?

And insurance rates? Are you saying for the reason of fire? Because if so, that's silly. The Ralph is almost entirely concrete and steel.

The taking away of freedoms and the fun of the game at the Ralph is not limited to smoking. Of course there should be a smoking area, but the parking mandates, the searches down to the toes for an illicit flask, etc. It is a footbal game not disneyland. I do not smoke but I am against all these rules.

Let people enjoy the games, for Pete's sake.

Amen.

I despise smoking, it is a disgusting habit. That said, I agree with you. They are making a mistake by pussifying the experience. The core of the NFL fan base are people who want to have a party, take a break from their worries and let out some frustration by seeing their team beat another with some controlled violence.

On top of this, I'm from the live and let live generation.

I'd rather not live in a society which tells me or others how to live our lives. I'm old enough and smart enough that I don't need anyone "protecting" me.

If I'm not harming others and if they're not harming me (again smoking areas, not smoking in your seat) why should I be treated as a "2nd class citizen?"