Stevie Johnson: After the INT

Thumbs down.... SJ is a monster if Fitz ever looks like an nfl qb again....thumbs down to all the Stevie and spiller doubters...

Ain't worth a nickel ? Tighten up w the comments. SJ is a stud.... Let's get a qb who can get him the ball.

Stevie is an excellent receiver. He is not top 5 in the league because he is just not a physical specimen (Eric Moulds type build) But the guy can play. The Bills would be stupid not to keep him, and they should go out and get a big receiver to play opposite him. But why for the life of me would Stevie being an unrestricted free agent want to stay with the Bills, especially if Fitzie is throwing him the ball (if you can call it that)?

The guy gets open. And Fitzie almost never hits him in stride. The Bills should have made him and Fred their first priority. Instead they give a new contract to a career mediocre backup QB, and to a very average rt. tackle.

Can't wait for this season to end. Isn't it amazing how Gailey and Nix took a pretty marginal roster talent wise, and made it much worse? I honestly did not think it was possible to run things worse than Jauron did. But Gailey and Nix have done just that!! Unbelieveable.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, i'm sure Whitner is crushed that he's starting on a 10-3 team that is headed to the playoffs. the Bills sure got the best of him in that deal.

You can't get a great #1 WR for $9 million per season. The top guys are making 8 figures per season. That puts Stevie in the second tier of top WRs, at 8-9 million per season, which is about his talent level.

Well then I would pony up the extra 2 mil and get a "top Guy" instead of a second tier guy. Makes sense no.

As for Donte I haven't heard his name and I have lived in the bay area for 32 years. Sure its nice too make the playoffs. They would have done it without him. They signed a couple of safety's last year Lil Donte being one of them. In the end Kudos to Donte for making way less money but in the postseason. He strikes me as a player who would prefer the money though.

SJ was terribly off balance as a result of trying to come back to the ball. He stumbled and had NO chance of doing anything. That play to me was 100% on Fitz. The dude just can't throw the long ball with any accuracy anymore.

I agree 100% about SJ being off balance not not able to do much to prevent the Int. The arm failing was looking for a Flag for unnecessary roughness or defenseless player after the Safety popped him a little late and he confronted him. CB already out of bounds with the ball.

Nothing Stevie did wrong on that pick. I want him back too.

That said, I am wondering if he did not run a good hard slant that Vontae got earlier when the Safety blitzed on causing Fitz to unload quickly onto CB arms.

Well then I would pony up the extra 2 mil and get a "top Guy" instead of a second tier guy. Makes sense no.

As for Donte I haven't heard his name and I have lived in the bay area for 32 years. Sure its nice too make the playoffs. They would have done it without him. They signed a couple of safety's last year Lil Donte being one of them. In the end Kudos to Donte for making way less money but in the postseason. He strikes me as a player who would prefer the money though.

What "top guys" in the Fitzgerald/Megatron/Andre Johnson will be available? None. The potentially available FAs out there are at roughly the same tier Stevie is. We're much better served keeping Stevie (even if we have to overpay a bit) and then finding another complementary WR. That will improve the team much faster than letting Stevie go and trying to replace him. Unless you're excited about another year With Donald "garbage" Jones as #2.

What "top guys" in the Fitzgerald/Megatron/Andre Johnson will be available? None. The potentially available FAs out there are at roughly the same tier Stevie is. We're much better served keeping Stevie (even if we have to overpay a bit) and then finding another complementary WR. That will improve the team much faster than letting Stevie go and trying to replace him. Unless you're excited about another year With Donald "garbage" Jones as #2.

Look, I don't hate the guy. In fact I was quite impressed with his effort all year, being hurt and all. Yesterday he played an "A" game in my book. I'm just trying to point out that these 2nd tier players on a 2nd tier team (at best) need to accept reality. So if he gets 9 mil a year more power to him. I doubt the Bills will give it to him. My issue is his hands. His ability to be clutch. You don't teach that stuff. You either have it or you don't. He has shown he does not have it. His numbers on our team are good. I think if he hits free agency, he will be judged on a lot of things, including the showboating, and his history of epic drops. Not just poorly thrown balls buy his quarterback. Bring him back on a long term 5 year deal, he will have a lot more opprotunitys for his entertainment style in Buffalo population 270,000. than in say the bay area population 6 million. Imagine Stevie on a New Jersey team and losing games with his drops under pressure, they would toast him. here fans with my view are in the minority. Bills football has regressed so much that we worship a @2 receiver with questionable skills. Man I want to get past that.

I agree past Johnson we have no one. Boy do I agree with that One more point on the Ralph is cheap arguement. While Ralph is more than cheap on coaches, etc. We have several teams with MORE cap space than us. We just seem to pay big bucks for the wrong players. Dockery, Walker, Fitz, Kelsay, etc. why add a tier 2 receiver to the list. I believe ralph will have to spend to the cap in 2013. That should be interesting.

Look, I don't hate the guy. In fact I was quite impressed with his effort all year, being hurt and all. Yesterday he played an "A" game in my book. I'm just trying to point out that these 2nd tier players on a 2nd tier team (at best) need to accept reality. So if he gets 9 mil a year more power to him. I doubt the Bills will give it to him. My issue is his hands. His ability to be clutch. You don't teach that stuff. You either have it or you don't. He has shown he does not have it. His numbers on our team are good. I think if he hits free agency, he will be judged on a lot of things, including the showboating, and his history of epic drops. Not just poorly thrown balls buy his quarterback. Bring him back on a long term 5 year deal, he will have a lot more opprotunitys for his entertainment style in Buffalo population 270,000. than in say the bay area population 6 million. Imagine Stevie on a New Jersey team and losing games with his drops under pressure, they would toast him. here fans with my view are in the minority. Bills football has regressed so much that we worship a @2 receiver with questionable skills. Man I want to get past that.

I agree past Johnson we have no one. Boy do I agree with that One more point on the Ralph is cheap arguement. While Ralph is more than cheap on coaches, etc. We have several teams with MORE cap space than us. We just seem to pay big bucks for the wrong players. Dockery, Walker, Fitz, Kelsay, etc. why add a tier 2 receiver to the list. I believe ralph will have to spend to the cap in 2013. That should be interesting.

Perfectly stated. The guy has got talent...hes just doesnt have "it"....that winning attitude and killer instinct that is just ingrained in an elite athlete.

So to clarify your view. It would take a #1 pick to replace a #7(looks like we outsmarted 31 teams there) pick we drafted and groomed. As you remember in my previous post Johnson is far from a complete player in my humble opinion. He would be a nice complimentary receiver to a true @#1. I find it pretty foolish to think that we would need to pay 9 to 10 million to replace a serviceable #2. BTW there is a reason he lasted to the 7th round. Ball catching skills is most likely part of it.

I agree he has a place on the team. But come on 9 to 10 million to replace? I'm sorry there are true #1's at that price, not L. Fitzgerald but good players and they don't come with the drama this guy has. He was the laughing stock of the NFL after the jets game. They even burned him on the friggin Today show. He lost a game this year and last all by himself. Past Bills teams would not put up with that crap.

Johnson should tweet Donte and ask how it feels with a 2 million dollar whack from what the Bills had on the table, languishing and then accepting a huge cut from the 9ers. Where he is now a small fish in a big pond. Zero complaints here since Donte left. Johnson may experience the same thing. In the end although one of our 2 nest offensive players, I think he is replaceable, and lets face it we are arguably 20 players away from a solid contending team. Not just a team that could scratch its way in the playoffs and lose because of a TD drop.Should we let players like him go. No, but we should not be held hostage. In free agency I don't believe he will pull down true #1 money. he has to consider that because again Donte can tell him. In Buffalo i was a somebody in SF well I'm just an average player in an area that has a lot of professional sports franchises.

Name receivers the Bills have had better than him in 20 years... Reed, Moulds and that's it. Maybe Evans. Just because we got him with a 7th rounder doesn't mean we can pick a 7th rounder and expect the same results.

I agree with your last paragraph.

My original post was that Stevie is getting frustrated with Fitz openly because it is taking money out of his pocket. If Fitz hits Stevie when he is open like yesterday, he has 150 yards. Those yards = money and leverage. Fitz is costing Stevie directly and I can't imagine he will want to return under that scenario. He never got paid as a 7th rounder and will want to get his "due". Who knows what number of millions he has in his head.

Yes he has dropped some big passes. No excuses there. He also has had some big games and has made some great catches. The guy can play. He is better than any receiver on our roster and we will miss him if he's gone. Replacing him with a late round pick isn't an option. So we would either need to pony up and pay someone, spend a high pick or ignore the position.

Name receivers the Bills have had better than him in 20 years... Reed, Moulds and that's it. Maybe Evans. Just because we got him with a 7th rounder doesn't mean we can pick a 7th rounder and expect the same results.

My original post was that Stevie is getting frustrated with Fitz openly because it is taking money out of his pocket. If Fitz hits Stevie when he is open like yesterday, he has 150 yards. Those yards = money and leverage. Fitz is costing Stevie directly and I can't imagine he will want to return under that scenario. He never got paid as a 7th rounder and will want to get his "due". Who knows what number of millions he has in his head.

Yes he has dropped some big passes. No excuses there. He also has had some big games and has made some great catches. The guy can play. He is better than any receiver on our roster and we will miss him if he's gone. Replacing him with a late round pick isn't an option. So we would either need to pony up and pay someone, spend a high pick or ignore the position.

And thank you very much....you just proved our point.

I guess my question is this: why was the DB the only one to recognize and adjust to the underthrow?

I see plenty of WRs come back to the ball and either make the catch or break up the INT. Seems like if Stevie doesn't get room service, he can't be bothered to go pick up the food himself.

The DB was clearly beat on the play and was BEHIND SJ by nearly 5 yards. Much easier for a guy 5 yards behind to catch an underthrown Fitz Floater.

Awesome. Another let's run a good player out of town for some stupid reason campaign by Bills fans. For as much as people B word about the FO, fans need to look in the mirror. Sabres fans do it with Ryan Miller. Bills fans have done it with Evans, Maybin, McGahee (though it probably was deserved), etc. Stevie Johnson is not the problem with the Bills and losing him only creates another hole. Develop, turn into a good player, get rid of him, then repeat. So stupid.

Awesome. Another let's run a good player out of town for some stupid reason campaign by Bills fans. For as much as people B word about the FO, fans need to look in the mirror. Sabres fans do it with Ryan Miller. Bills fans have done it with Evans, Maybin, McGahee (though it probably was deserved), etc. Stevie Johnson is not the problem with the Bills and losing him only creates another hole. Develop, turn into a good player, get rid of him, then repeat. So stupid.

Evans, Maybin, McGahee...yeah those three are really lighting up the NFL. How will their new teams ever survive without them???????????

Seriously, who is running SJ out of town? We are debating the merits of paying him like you would an elite player. That now qualifies as irrational behavior around here?

Edited by RkFast

Exactly right. It's sad when Bills fans are as dumb as Soloman Wilcox.

The pass looked exactly like the 2 Fitz threw to lose the Giants game.

Actually the pass was worse than what Corey Webster intercepted. Almost as bad, though not as funny, as the pass he threw yesterday 20 yards downfield and sixty yards in the air. A pot luck jump ball for maybe 10 players on either side.

A poster yesterday said the pass where Fitz overthrew Johnson was about SJ's lack of elite speed. Hilarious.

SJ is a bit of a flake, no doubt but 1) he is a WR:many WR are flakes and 2) he is also really very talented.

After the Jets game Stevie got flamed for the late game "drops". One poster said that was the difference betwen SJ and a true #1 receiver, like Santonio Holmes. Anyone watching the 2nd Jets game should have noticed Holmes dropping passes, including some well thrown balls, all over the place that day (even if he did catch an easy game winner. The truth is they almost all drop some.

If #2 WRs put up 80-1000, i'd love to see your definition of a #1 WR. Stevie is a tier 2 WR, which is a step below the unstoppables like fitzgerald, megatron, andre johnson, roddy white (note: this is different than a #2 WR), in a group that includes guys like colston, wallace, boldin, bowe, harvin, jackson, jennings, maclin, etc.

All WRs drop passes. Stevie doesn't drop nearly as many as some of the "elite" WRs in the NFL like Roddy White, Brandon Marshall, etc. Hell, Marshall dropped 2 TD passes yesterday where miami had to settle for FGs. The only reason you guys notice Stevie's drops more than others is because he plays for the hometown team. But the grass is always greener, right?

Stevie will get his money, because good WRs like him that can beat coverage and find open spots don't come along all the time. Hopefully it will be from the Bills, but it appears many of you would much rather us let him go so you can feel good about yourselves as opposed to keeping him and making the team better.

Not sure if anyone saw this with the blackout and all. Fitzy threw yet another underthrown, deep left pass to SJ in the 3rd quarter, resulting in an easy INT. What really bothered me, though, was SJ's reaction after the INT. First of all, he made no attempt to defend the pass from being picked off and no attempt to even tackle the CB. Then, after he realized it was intercepted, he just started bitching and flailing his arms, maybe calling for a flag?? I have no idea. He never even thought to touch the CB, who fell to the turf untouched, until it was too late. It didn't result in any return yarage, but I still think it's very telling how a WR reacts to an INT. Sure, the pass was bad, but it's one on one coverage. At least try to make a leap for it. At least TOUCH THE GUY. SJ couldn't be bothered. He just doesn't have his head in the game. TO took a lot of flak for doing the same thing 2 years ago, so I thought I'd mention it.

Wow...really? That INT was easy? Looked to me that he made a hell of a leap to go up and get the ball and SJ13 had ZERO chance of making a play as he broke his route to attempt to come back to a poorly underthrown ball....OH, and he did, in fact, make and attempt to touch the CB, but got blocked out of the way. You're reaching for something to mitch and boan about homey...FAIL. Are you a Fitz lover? That's what I thought!

Edited by Armchair GM

Evans, Maybin, McGahee...yeah those three are really lighting up the NFL. How will their new teams ever survive without them???????????

Seriously, who is running SJ out of town? We are debating the merits of paying him like you would an elite player. That now qualifies as irrational behavior around here?

For years people tried to run Evans out of town and he was our best receiver. McGahee is havign a really good year for Denver and Maybin is the Jets best pass rusher.

My point is fans like to blame the wrong guys for why the team loses. The Bills are much better with SJ than without him.

For years people tried to run Evans out of town and he was our best receiver. McGahee is havign a really good year for Denver and Maybin is the Jets best pass rusher.

My point is fans like to blame the wrong guys for why the team loses. The Bills are much better with SJ than without him.

I understand.

My point is that me, personally....I dont like building teams around guys with ten cent heads, even when they have a lot of pure physical ability.

Twitter drama, dropsies, fines, on and on. IMO, hes not producing enough to tolerate such behavior all the time and certainly not enough to warrant top pay.

Edited by RkFast

Look the kid has above average ability, is extremely immature, unreliable and NOT a professional in any sense of the word. No way in hell I pay this kid. but again he has become some Buffalo fan cult hero because he is a feel good story and made some decent plays last year. So what? He is another #2 talent that buffalo is pushing out there as a #1 ( see Lee Evans) that everyone will make excuses for.

I just pray these guys don't pay him like they did lee or Fitz and tie even more money up in average players

Look the kid has above average ability, is extremely immature, unreliable and NOT a professional in any sense of the word. No way in hell I pay this kid. but again he has become some Buffalo fan cult hero because he is a feel good story and made some decent plays last year. So what? He is another #2 talent that buffalo is pushing out there as a #1 ( see Lee Evans) that everyone will make excuses for.

I just pray these guys don't pay him like they did lee or Fitz and tie even more money up in average players

No. Stevie Johnson is the real deal. Pair him with a guy who can throw and he will light it up.

I have not read anyone saying that Stevie should be paid as an elite WR. I have read a lot of people say that he deserves to be in that 2nd tier of WRs that get the 8-10 million per year. Even if that is overpaying a bit it does prevent putting another hole in the offense to fill especially when we already have so many holes.

We need to add depth to ALL of our positions and not ponying up for SJ just doesn't make sense to me. It's not like our back is up against the wall with cap room.

Better than Johnson in the past 20 years. Since you stated Andre, I'll add Don Beebe, James Lofton, TO (as short as it was). Those guys were "better" than Johnson. Lofton BTW is in the HOF! Thats off the top of my head, heck Tasker could have been better. Stevie and Fitz are tight, I have heard nowhere but in your posts that Johnson is openly frustrated with Fitz because it is taking money out of his pocket. Post the link and I'll eat my shoe. As for his past due. Say What? He's a 7th rounder who probably krapped his pants when he found out he was even drafted! Are you his agent? it sure sounds like it!

Anyway, I'm done with this discussion, it was fun and I wish you a Merry Christmas, and would like to spar or agree with you on another topic.

I tried to make my position clear, re read if you must. I am on the same page with you on him. I just know he is not worth the money he wants based on his production. it's that simple.

Yeah maybe Stevie should have made a play on the ball, but thats easy to say from the stands. He has been dealing with a bad groin most of the year and didn't even finish the game. Try running full speed, in the process beating your man, then stop on a dime and go back and fight for a ball you can't catch anyway. That's all Fitzmagic baby.

Anyone who doesn't recognize that Stevie should be re-signed... well, I don't want to listen to what you have to say about football or the state of the Bills for more than a minute. The issue is that SJ needs a reliable compliment at the WR position. That should help Fitz too -- although, Fitz's maddening inconsistency must be addressed as well.

:wallbash:

Better than Johnson in the past 20 years. Since you stated Andre, I'll add Don Beebe, James Lofton, TO (as short as it was). Those guys were "better" than Johnson. Lofton BTW is in the HOF! Thats off the top of my head, heck Tasker could have been better. Stevie and Fitz are tight, I have heard nowhere but in your posts that Johnson is openly frustrated with Fitz because it is taking money out of his pocket. Post the link and I'll eat my shoe. As for his past due. Say What? He's a 7th rounder who probably krapped his pants when he found out he was even drafted! Are you his agent? it sure sounds like it!

Anyway, I'm done with this discussion, it was fun and I wish you a Merry Christmas, and would like to spar or agree with you on another topic.

I tried to make my position clear, re read if you must. I am on the same page with you on him. I just know he is not worth the money he wants based on his production. it's that simple.

:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash: Tasker better than Stevie at being a wr? shut it down....we have heard enough.....don beebe on this team by hisself? not the 4th option? no sir..... take your I hate Stevie agenda elsewhere.....

:wallbash:

:wallbash::wallbash::wallbash::wallbash: Tasker better than Stevie at being a wr? shut it down....we have heard enough.....don beebe on this team by hisself? not the 4th option? no sir..... take your I hate Stevie agenda elsewhere.....

I like tasker, i like beebe.......but they would be turrible in this offense as a #1 or a #2 as most of you think...

Calvin and Andre Johnson's grow on trees people....everyteam should have one....huh...

Yeah maybe Stevie should have made a play on the ball, but thats easy to say from the stands. He has been dealing with a bad groin most of the year and didn't even finish the game. Try running full speed, in the process beating your man, then stop on a dime and go back and fight for a ball you can't catch anyway. That's all Fitzmagic baby.

Maybe he couldn't have made a play on that ball. But he dang sure could have touched down the DB instead of arguing with the ref. He was just lucky that guy didn't get up and run with it. If he had he could have gone a ways with it. Put me down as one who says SJ's head is not in the game often.

I see recievers stop on a dime and go back and fight for a ball in almost every NFL game I watch.

Edited by reddogblitz

via Steve Johnson fb

been playing all season with a bad knee, torn groin, seperated shoulder, broken finger and torn ligments in my hand...and some of you saying i dont put it all out there. SMH. I tried to go back in the game 4 times, begged coach to put me in even tho my groin was killin. Coach wouldnt put me back in the game. no matter how hard i begged it wasnt happening. I die for the Bills, every sunday. Would have died to go back in the game when i was tryin to. But coach said no. what Chan says goes.

There's no link... It's obvious the way Stevie throws his hands in the air after Fitz misses him by 10 yards. His body language against the Dolphins on Sunday said it all. He doesn't have elite speed or strength, so he has to work his butt off to get open on each play. When he does and Fitz misses his by a mile he outwardly expresses his frustration. Ok, yes Beebe and Lofton were great. That was 20+ years ago.

I don't get the argument of why $8 million is okay but not $9.5 million or whatever. It's Ralph's freakin money and we are WAY under the cap. He's a good player - pay him.

I've seen that play int 3 times this year, stop running it.

I know. Does he hit it in practice or something? You'd think they'd stop trying what they can't do.

Then chan blaming execution is like whining that the pickup truck wont do a10 second quarter mile..... Of course it doesn't, it won't and it never will.

It has been mentioned before that Stevie doesn't know when to transition from playing offense to playing defense. He might have saved at least one of the interceptions in the Giants game if he was more heads up about that. Coaching issue?

I also give him props for playing hurt. Groin, shoulder, whatever else. Sometimes he looks as old as Ralph the way he gets up after being hit.

Selling tickets... I think re-signing Stevie is important because there is an excitement with him. The Bills team needs all the excitement it can get, even if it is from a good but not great showboat receiver. I wish I knew how to put "good but not great" in autotype. I use it almost every time I talk about a player on this team.

Just saw that as well. Dude is a fighter regardless of what people want to assume.

The problem is even with that quote you see he just doesn't get it. His head is all over the place. Physically he's tough despite limitations. Mentally he just isn't elite. Hopefully the light comes on for him because he could be VERY good. Until he "gets it" we will have a lot more of these debates.

Well... We can only pray he doesn't subscribe to that stream of thought. That's the type of play that doesn't show in a stat line but wins championships. If your playing for stats not wins then you may as well go home.

The problem is even with that quote you see he just doesn't get it. His head is all over the place. Physically he's tough despite limitations. Mentally he just isn't elite. Hopefully the light comes on for him because he could be VERY good. Until he "gets it" we will have a lot more of these debates.

Well... We can only pray he doesn't subscribe to that stream of thought. That's the type of play that doesn't show in a stat line but wins championships. If your playing for stats not wins then you may as well go home.

Did you miss the part where he is playing with a torn groin, bad knee, broken fingers and separated shoulder while being chased by large, athletic men who want to kill him, or are you just choosing to ignore it?

I imagine if you were playing in the NFL with just one of those limitations you would be crying like a little girl. The guy is trying his ass off and he is the last talented man in the WR corps standing, basically hobbling.

And fans like you want to see him go. I sure hope you don't get what you deserve with a wish come true.

Did you miss the part where he is playing with a torn groin, bad knee, broken fingers and separated shoulder while being chased by large, athletic men who want to kill him, or are you just choosing to ignore it?

I imagine if you were playing in the NFL with just one of those limitations you would be crying like a little girl. The guy is trying his ass off and he is the last talented man in the WR corps standing, basically hobbling.

And fans like you want to see him go. I sure hope you don't get what you deserve with a wish come true.

Putting some words in my mouth there. I want to see him grow up. I want to see him reach his potential. It was tough to be on the field - it was dumb to argue with the ref instead of finishing the play. Why can't there be a middle ground?