Stevie Johnson: After the INT

I think that people who are in favor of not re-signing Stevie Johnson, should explain who they would like to sign to play receiver, what they will pay them, and what (if anything) they would spend any money saved on. As for "signing" SJ for $5-6 million a year, you can offer him that but you cannot sign him for that unless no other team offers him more. That's the reality.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that people who are in favor of not re-signing Stevie Johnson, should explain who they would like to sign to play receiver, what they will pay them, and what (if anything) they would spend any money saved on. As for "signing" SJ for $5-6 million a year, you can offer him that but you cannot sign him for that unless no other team offers him more. That's the reality.

Choice #1 (with or without sj13) is colston at approx 10 per. Think he's a perfect fit.

Vincent Jackson could be an option (I'm torn on him) with his ties to nix. That history could go either way though.

If looking for a comp point - I think Bowe more athletically gifted and a little less motivated. I think he would be an option in regards to replacing that production.

I don't love desean Jackson. Size, attitude, head injuries.... The price doesn't match the risk. I don't think he's a guy you build around .

I guess what Im getting at is that the market is there, and that people forget how many talented guys are out there.

SJ is not TO. Fitz can't throw the deep ball. The past 7 games proves it.

They run a different package of routes between the 2. Coming back to the QB from a slant or curl is way different than coming back from a go or post route, especially when the ball is underthrown 10 to 15 yards.

Yes absolutely right its a momentum thing can't put fitz's picks on SJ. I gotta say I can't understand all the SJ hate around here. The guy gives it everything every game, loves playing in buffalo(a lot of players dont, especially since Fitz has been missing him on a lot of his routes lately), he supports and backs his teammates when they play poorly etc.. I know he has made some mistakes with the two drops and the td celebration ( which I personally loved) but cmon imagine the numbers he would put up if he had another receiver to take some of the coverage off him and if Fitz was playing more consistent of late. The guy owns some of the best corners in football and wants to play on this mediocre team. Please sign him!

The chemistry between between Fitz and Stevie is a mess. Like a lovers spat almost.

Heck these guys lived together off season developing timing and such.

But it's obvious that these guys are pissed at each other for some reason. Maybe thats why Chan sat stevie last sunday?

The whole problem with this team is that they have lost faith in Fitz and have since quit. most notably the receivers. I saw last week; that Nelson was covered by 3 defenders all closing and Fitz threw it to him bad things for sure could have happened. Nelson just ran away from the play as it bounced. Because Rec have been lead into harms way alot last 7 weeks. it's not good folks, and Chan should be held responsible for ill will in the huddle

Edited by 3rdand12

Awesome. Another let's run a good player out of town for some stupid reason campaign by Bills fans. For as much as people B word about the FO, fans need to look in the mirror. Sabres fans do it with Ryan Miller. Bills fans have done it with Evans, Maybin, McGahee (though it probably was deserved), etc. Stevie Johnson is not the problem with the Bills and losing him only creates another hole. Develop, turn into a good player, get rid of him, then repeat. So stupid.

I know wtf lol. Why do bills fans always want to run out our young developing talent. He is a future superstar.

Putting some words in my mouth there. I want to see him grow up. I want to see him reach his potential. It was tough to be on the field - it was dumb to argue with the ref instead of finishing the play. Why can't there be a middle ground?

I get you. But honestly, there are very few good receivers who aren't showboaty, flashy, "me" guys. And, I think, at least Stevie rates among the more genial category of those guys. Growing up - sure. I don't want to see him costing his team penalty yardage. That said, there are times when Bills receivers are getting mugged out there and nothing gets called. I am sure he's getting tired of it. I'm sure he's getting frustrated. I'm sure he's pissed that he's not at 100% and can't go as all-out as he intends. I'm sure he's mad about his own mistakes - celebrations and drops included. This is a really trying part of the season. Remember the "bickering Bills"? Those guys needed to grow up. Then they did.

SJ is producing like no other receiver we have. He is one of the few around to beat Revis lately. If this team isn't ready, it isn't because Stevie Johnson isn't. It's in part because it doesn't have another receiver with a fifth of the talent, at least not that we know of. That's all.

last thing from FB [typos included]

30 straight starts say it all durable no more to say then that maybe the are getting ready for next year to see what it will look like without sj13

Despite the near unintelligibility of this, I feel for the guy. He's been durable, and I hope he doesn't leave to ply his wares elsewhere. The Bills will be even more lost without him.

last thing from FB [typos included]

Despite the near unintelligibility of this, I feel for the guy. He's been durable, and I hope he doesn't leave to ply his wares elsewhere. The Bills will be even more lost without him.

Or maybe they don't want major injuries in garbage time in a game without playoff implications?

Just the fact that he'd think that was an appropriate post speaks volumes. Be frustrated but be smart. I love his potential but his judgement worries me.

I'll also leave out that a couple of those **cough** two catches for eight yards at Dallas **cough** might have been worth sitting.

Solomon insisted that the INT was Stevie's fault because he didn't come back and knock the ball away from Vernon Davis. He just kept bashing stevie relentlessly for it.

He should have been blaming Fitz for making that God-awful throw.

It WAS a horrible throw, no doubt. One of several horrible throws.

Stevie could have made a better effort to break up the pass. He could have even justified offensive pass interference to break it up.

And after the INT, he was more interested in berating the official than he was touching down the CB.

But the INT is mostly on Fitz and it looked like a moment of extreme frustration for Stevie.

Stevie's effort as a player hasn't really been questioned until this play.

Choice #1 (with or without sj13) is colston at approx 10 per. Think he's a perfect fit.

This! Colston for 10 over SJ for 9 is a no brainer.

Getting Colston and keeping SJ for 6ish would be ideal. Only issue would be Fitz getting the ball to Colston accurately. He can hit SJ on the short stuff fine, but we all know how he is deeper. Well the only issue other than convincing Colston to come to Buffalo in general, and with Fitz as the QB is particular.

Edited by CodeMonkey

Super Bowl five years from now....Bill are in it....late in the game.....Bills need a big play

Do you see Stevie Johnson:

A) Calmly and in a calculated fashion making the big play and catching the ball.

B) Dropping it becuase he was too busy worrying about what "dance" he would do IF he DID make the play....and then after the game whining about it all on Twitter and Facebook.

You ALL know the answer deep down and dont you DARE say you dont.

Buh bye, Stevie.

Edited by RkFast

Stevie is gone. He was clearly frustrated with Fitz and would have had 150 yards easily if a capable quarterback was throwing the ball. He was open downfield on a number of occasions where Fitz missed by 10 yards. There is no way he is coming back for more seasons like this. If they want to keep him, the Bills only chance is to franchise tag him for 1 year, draft a QB this year, and hope this new QB shows enough in the 1st year to convince Stevie to come back. I doubt that happens.

Yeah, he'll sign with the Jets and get 12 Tds and 1500 yards a year. Just sign this kid already Nixo.

Look the kid has above average ability, is extremely immature, unreliable and NOT a professional in any sense of the word. No way in hell I pay this kid. but again he has become some Buffalo fan cult hero because he is a feel good story and made some decent plays last year. So what? He is another #2 talent that buffalo is pushing out there as a #1 ( see Lee Evans) that everyone will make excuses for.

I just pray these guys don't pay him like they did lee or Fitz and tie even more money up in average players

Let's not tie up money in a guy who can play football.....let's just keep payin all the bums.... Kelsay Fitz pears maybe we can pay extra to get poz back ?? Worst post ever. COME ON MAN.

I'm just not a fan of the guy. One of the reasons I find it difficult to "like" this version of the Bills.

Would u like him if he was white ? If he liked billy Joel and Elton John more than rappin would it be different ? I dont understand what there is not to like. He plays hurt and loves being a bill. Brings a lil toughness to this soft team. I just don't get it

Vincent Jackson could be an option (I'm torn on him) with his ties to nix. That history could go either way though.

If looking for a comp point - I think Bowe more athletically gifted and a little less motivated. I think he would be an option in regards to replacing that production.

I don't love desean Jackson. Size, attitude, head injuries.... The price doesn't match the risk. I don't think he's a guy you build around .

I guess what Im getting at is that the market is there, and that people forget how many talented guys are out there.

Colston is super slow.... If y'all don't care for Stevie Vincent Jackson is off the table. That guy i can live w/o I'll give ya bowe as better...replace Colston w Stevie in new Orleans = same stats.

Let's not tie up money in a guy who can play football.....let's just keep payin all the bums.... Kelsay Fitz pears maybe we can pay extra to get poz back ?? Worst post ever. COME ON MAN.

Would u like him if he was white ? If he liked billy Joel and Elton John more than rappin would it be different ? I dont understand what there is not to like. He plays hurt and loves being a bill. Brings a lil toughness to this soft team. I just don't get it

I wonder if Stevie can HANDLE a big contract. Honestly, a lot of guys get big pay days then they stop playing with heart. He seems like that kind of player. He's not smart. When he's making $10m/year his production will fall. He's easily distracted. Look at how bad Fitzy has been since his contract, and he's a Harvard grad.

Although, I agree that the contracts you mentioned seem foolish. Especially Kelsay. But two wrongs don't make a right.

I wonder if Stevie can HANDLE a big contract. Honestly, a lot of guys get big pay days then they stop playing with heart. He seems like that kind of player. He's not smart. When he's making $10m/year his production will fall. He's easily distracted. Look at how bad Fitzy has been since his contract, and he's a Harvard grad.

Although, I agree that the contracts you mentioned seem foolish. Especially Kelsay. But two wrongs don't make a right.

I hear ya wampus..... The guy is married and seems like an all around good guy.... He celebrates he tweets and he raps. .... On the field he's a worker ... I am all for paying the man.... If it turns into another "Fitz contract" that's kinda how the bills roll. We are all used to it. Haaaa

I hear ya wampus..... The guy is married and seems like an all around good guy.... He celebrates he tweets and he raps. .... On the field he's a worker ... I am all for paying the man.... If it turns into another "Fitz contract" that's kinda how the bills roll. We are all used to it. Haaaa

Celebrating tweeting and rapping seem to be his only negatives. With a few drops in big situations.

Marques Colston is not categorically better than Stevie Johnson. They are very similar receivers. Both of them are in the 2nd tier of good WRs behind the elite guys. Don't forget, in buffalo, Colston won't have Brees throwing to him and won't have pressure taken off by the likes of Jimmy Graham, Lance Moore, Devery Henderson, etc.

You claim the market is out there, but lots of these guys will be kept by their own teams. Not to mention that it takes time for a WR and a QB to get on the same page. How often do big FA WR acquisitions work out? Not much. This is a case where the devil you know is better than the one you don't.

You build around stevie by getting him a complementwry WR so you have multiple weapons. You don't create another hole on the team and remove talented players because you don't like that the guy tweets.

Marques Colston is not categorically better than Stevie Johnson. They are very similar receivers. Both of them are in the 2nd tier of good WRs behind the elite guys. Don't forget, in buffalo, Colston won't have Brees throwing to him and won't have pressure taken off by the likes of Jimmy Graham, Lance Moore, Devery Henderson, etc.

You claim the market is out there, but lots of these guys will be kept by their own teams. Not to mention that it takes time for a WR and a QB to get on the same page. How often do big FA WR acquisitions work out? Not much. This is a case where the devil you know is better than the one you don't.

You build around stevie by getting him a complementwry WR so you have multiple weapons. You don't create another hole on the team and remove talented players because you don't like that the guy tweets.

Some people have no clue.....Colston would be terrible as the #1 with buff.....If yall hate Stevie cuz of his "ways" I don't believe Desean Jackson will be your cup of tea......Resign Stevie, I for one am ready to hop off this terrible bills train.......Cant believe the niners got good before Buf...what a joke...

We need to keep stevie. we need to pay him aroundf the nine even though we will have to pay someone else to play the # 1. He might? be one of the best posession Rec in time with the right player on the other side. And i do not mean hold hope for Easley either.

He will make up one half of a great tandem. Not 3 other udfa's running around. I mean real deal #1. keep Chandler and Lee Smith.

Grab a great tackle and retain the ones we have for depth and we will have an offense to be reckoned with i bet.

besides the Fitz factor i mean.

Well, Stevie ran a 4.6 while colston ran a 4.5 at the combine.

Stevie is 6-2 while colston is 6-4

Colston has never had a hint of trouble.

Colston has better hands

Colston has played in big games and has a ring.

Other than the knee surgeries there is no reason not to pick him at a similar tag. Ideally it'd be great to have both. Maybe he'd rub off on sj13. What's his nickname? The quiet storm?

Colston is super slow.... If y'all don't care for Stevie Vincent Jackson is off the table. That guy i can live w/o I'll give ya bowe as better...replace Colston w Stevie in new Orleans = same stats.

I think desean, and Stevie 100% hit the market. Colstons a big chance with brees and nicks needing deals. Vincent Jackson has a horrible history with sd management and I believe Bowe has been tense at best. Several should hit the market.

I don't think colston blows him out of the water but I think you get all the talent with few if any negatives.

No issue with Johnson putting no effort into getting it, or at least preventing it from being intercepted?

T.O. would have been (and was if memory serves) tarred and feathered for that.

I think TO wasn't tarred and feathered enough for that. I haven't seen anybody bring it up in the numerous bring TO back threads here this season.