Stevie Johnson, grow up or get out.

I got a little sick watching Stevie waddle over and hand the ball to the ref the other day. He just doesn't get it. That was a planned event. I'd fine him for that idiocy.

Not sure I want a show-off like that on the team. Plus, he has the annoying tendency to drop big passes at critical times. How much worse would we be without him?

I do blame this collapse on the injuries. We've lost starters at so many key positions. I also blame the record on the tough schedule. We're lucky to have 5 wins, playing the schedule we've had this year.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I got a little sick watching Stevie waddle over and hand the ball to the ref the other day. He just doesn't get it. That was a planned event. I'd fine him for that idiocy.

Not sure I want a show-off like that on the team. Plus, he has the annoying tendency to drop big passes at critical times. How much worse would we be without him?

I do blame this collapse on the injuries. We've lost starters at so many key positions. I also blame the record on the tough schedule. We're lucky to have 5 wins, playing the schedule we've had this year.

Amazing that a team that finished with 3rd pick in draft ends up with a schedule like this. I think that SJ handing the ball to the ref maybe part of the growing up process. He made some clutch grabs last weekend

Stevie's waddle and ball hand-off to the ref was hilarious and extremely well-played. Everyone wanted him to nto celebrate, so all he did was hand the ball to the ref. It was nothing more than a dig at all you guys that got their panties in a wad over the previous celebration. And judging by this thread, Stevie wins.

Stevie's waddle and ball hand-off to the ref was hilarious and extremely well-played. Everyone wanted him to nto celebrate, so all he did was hand the ball to the ref. It was nothing more than a dig at all you guys that got their panties in a wad over the previous celebration. And judging by this thread, Stevie wins.

Agreed, I LOVED it. I almost liked it more than the previous week's celebration......ehhh maybe not haha.

I saw the power of stevie yesterday... the titan weren't going to allow him to beat them...they near had triple cover on him ...with the 2 deep zone ....which allowed Brad smith to get behind the secondary twice! ..... stevie took everything the defense gave him.... and allowed our games to make plays ....but because he waddles over to the ref...get rid of him!

I had no problem with the waddle...and I like Steve Johnson.

What I didn't like, was the piece that they did on him on the ESPN pre-game show on Sunday. The peice was sort of a travlouge of all Steve Johnson's "controversies" since emerging in the NFL. All the dances were there, and PC snippets, tweets blaming god for his lack of concentration...we knew all that. What bothered me, Steve Johnson was interviewed for the piece itself, and appeared to be relishing all the attention that his mishaps seem to have given him. He explains each mis-hap (and admittedly, some things like "Why So Serious?" were funny, and I even got a chuckle out of the Plaxico thing), justifieng it, and sums it up with the cliche "I just like to have fun with it...pretty much what you see is what you get...that is just me." If the guy wasn't a Buffalo Bill, most would be writing him off as another self-centered wide receiver.

I think there is overreaction to most of the things he (and other WR's) do, but they have to know that overreaction is there. To continue to carry on, at the cost of your team, and a slap on the wrist fine, kind of says that you really care more about how you present yourself, than you do about how you represent your team. That may be fine Monday through Saturday, but Sunday, you are Buffalo Bill, Steve Johnson. Not Steve Johnson of the Buffalo Bills.

Jason Peters is fat and overpaid, get rid of him. Lee Evans isn't a number one receiver, get rid of him. Stevie isn't cluch, get rid of him. Whitner was drafted too high and never makes a play, get rid of him. London Fletcher makes all of his tackles 10 yards past the LOS, get rid of him. Poz makes all of his tackles 10 yards past the LOS, get rid of him. McGahee doesn't want to be here, get rid of him. Lynch doesn't want to be here, get rid of him.

Perhaps Bills fans get what they deserve, ya know?

I literally laughed aloud when he did that. I thought it was funny, and something that just a young kid having a little fun with a situation that was blown so far out of proportion it was laughable. People saying cut him, or trade the guy, give me a break...

Link?

SHUDDUP!.....

Jeeze........

:thumbsup:

I got a little sick watching Stevie waddle over and hand the ball to the ref the other day. He just doesn't get it. That was a planned event. I'd fine him for that idiocy. :wallbash:

Not sure I want a show-off like that on the team. Plus, he has the annoying tendency to drop big passes at critical times. How much worse would we be without him? :doh:

Link?

Link to what?!?! I hear people saying it too. How do you link that?!?!?! :wallbash:

Jason Peters is fat and overpaid, get rid of him. Lee Evans isn't a number one receiver, get rid of him. Stevie isn't cluch, get rid of him. Whitner was drafted too high and never makes a play, get rid of him. London Fletcher makes all of his tackles 10 yards past the LOS, get rid of him. Poz makes all of his tackles 10 yards past the LOS, get rid of him. McGahee doesn't want to be here, get rid of him. Lynch doesn't want to be here, get rid of him.

Perhaps Bills fans get what they deserve, ya know?

Coach, I hope you don't think these moves were done cuz Bills fans asked for them. Just saying.

Under normal circumstances, when a gripe over a celebration occurs, I'm one of the first to tell the fuddy duddies to take a hike up Mt. Pious.

But in this case, in a 13 point game, with less than four minutes to go in the fourth quarter, when you've just narrowed it down to 6 and you've got tremendous obstacles to overcome, I find it disconcerting that in THAT moment, Stevie was thinking about and decided--no doubt against Chan's wishes REGARDLESS of the situation--to draw attention to HIMSELF.

I agree, there's a lack of maturity there, based solely on the timing and urgency of THAT moment.

Having said that, I'm also of the opinion that teams should choreograph post touchdown celebrations that are elaborate and entertaining as hell. These guys are clever and wily that way. If they take the penalty, who cares? If there's one loose cannon who wants to express himself thusly, might as well let his enthusiasm be infectious. Get everyone involved. Afterall, it's the TEAM that takes the 15 yard penalty, might as well earn it.

Wow. Well, I think this is a team sport, and when a player draws focus on himself he takes the focus off the team. I think Stevie Johnson is all about himself. I think that the guy running over to hand the ball to the Cowboys cheerleader should've kept running out the vom into the street.

Does anybody think Vince Lombardi would put up with this crap?

Sure, football is supposed to be fun. Winning is fun. When you're losing by 21 to the Cowboys and you run over to your girlfriend, that's not fun. That's premeditated idiocy. It's a bad idea. Get back to the sidelines and see if you can get ready to try and get more points.

I don't know if Stevie is a great receiver. Great receivers make plays. His drops cost us two games.

Whatever. I'm like most of you, been a fan my whole life. Every Sunday I go to church and then go to meet with a bunch of other Bills fans and watch this team. Don't trash me for having an opinion. Disagreements are good. Trashing is not.

What I didn't like, was the piece that they did on him on the ESPN pre-game show on Sunday. The peice was sort of a travlouge of all Steve Johnson's "controversies" since emerging in the NFL. All the dances were there, and PC snippets, tweets blaming god for his lack of concentration...we knew all that. What bothered me, Steve Johnson was interviewed for the piece itself, and appeared to be relishing all the attention that his mishaps seem to have given him. He explains each mis-hap (and admittedly, some things like "Why So Serious?" were funny, and I even got a chuckle out of the Plaxico thing), justifieng it, and sums it up with the cliche "I just like to have fun with it...pretty much what you see is what you get...that is just me." If the guy wasn't a Buffalo Bill, most would be writing him off as another self-centered wide receiver.

I think there is overreaction to most of the things he (and other WR's) do, but they have to know that overreaction is there. To continue to carry on, at the cost of your team, and a slap on the wrist fine, kind of says that you really care more about how you present yourself, than you do about how you represent your team. That may be fine Monday through Saturday, but Sunday, you are Buffalo Bill, Steve Johnson. Not Steve Johnson of the Buffalo Bills.

A what?

BTW, I thought it was hilarious and well-played. I'll take that any day over what he did the week before.

Amazing that a team that finished with 3rd pick in draft ends up with a schedule like this. I think that SJ handing the ball to the ref maybe part of the growing up process. He made some clutch grabs last weekend

If he had just went over and handed the ball to the official I would have applauded Johnson for trying to grow up. That obviously wasnt the case though, he did whatever that waddle was acting like a kid that just got punished with his head down. Can this guy to anything without trying to draw individual attention to himself-in a team game. It doesnt really matter because in 2 or 3 months, posts on him will be whether it was smart for the Bills not to resign him. I say let him walk.

That is my point exactly. I am not saying he isn't a good guy, in fact I met him his rookie season at camp and he stayed and chatted with us for awhile. It seems like he just cannot understand the concept of a "team" game, and is in such dire need for attention to himself that it often lately has affected the entire team. It scared me that he is acting just like a young Chad Ocho Stinko, and is in love with himself too much that it puts the Buffalo Bills way on the back burner. With most players and us fans the Bills either win or lose, with him it appears that his win or lose is only dependent on what he did that game and whether he was able to act a fool and get attention.

<br />I got a little sick watching Stevie waddle over and hand the ball to the ref the other day.  He just doesn't get it.  That was a planned event.   I'd fine him for that idiocy.  <br /><br />Not sure I want a show-off like that on the team.  Plus, he has the annoying tendency to drop big passes at critical times.  How much worse would we be without him?  <br /><br />I do blame this collapse on the injuries.  We've lost starters at so many key positions.  I also blame the record on the tough schedule.  We're lucky to have 5 wins, playing the schedule we've had this year.<br />
sigh

<br />I don't know if guys like me ran anybody out of town.  I'm suggesting that Stevie needs to grow up or get out.  It's a team sport.   <br /><br />I love this team.  I live in St. Louis.  The Rams may be the biggest joke in sports.  The Bills are a dream team compared to what's happening in this town.<br />
sigh

<br />Wow.  Well, I think this is a team sport, and when a player draws focus on himself he takes the focus off the team.  I think Stevie Johnson is all about himself.  I think that the guy running over to hand the ball to the Cowboys cheerleader should've kept running out the vom into the street.<br /><br />Does anybody think Vince Lombardi would put up with this crap?  <br /><br />Sure, football is supposed to be fun.  Winning is fun.  When you're losing by 21 to the Cowboys and you run over to your girlfriend, that's not fun.  That's premeditated idiocy.  It's a bad idea.  Get back to the sidelines and see if you can get ready to try and get more points.  <br /><br />I don't know if Stevie is a great receiver.  Great receivers make plays.  His drops cost us two games.  <br /><br />Whatever.  I'm like most of you, been a fan my whole life.  Every Sunday I go to church and then go to meet with a bunch of other Bills fans and watch this team.  Don't trash me for having an opinion.  Disagreements are good.  Trashing is not.<br />
your biggest issue with him is his celebrations after scoring a td. If he doesnt stop celebrating, you want him gone. When a team has ZERO talent at WR minus Stevie, and you think it's better to let him go, you're most likely gonna get trashed.

That is my point exactly. I am not saying he isn't a good guy, in fact I met him his rookie season at camp and he stayed and chatted with us for awhile. It seems like he just cannot understand the concept of a "team" game, and is in such dire need for attention to himself that it often lately has affected the entire team. It scared me that he is acting just like a young Chad Ocho Stinko, and is in love with himself too much that it puts the Buffalo Bills way on the back burner. With most players and us fans the Bills either win or lose, with him it appears that his win or lose is only dependent on what he did that game and whether he was able to act a fool and get attention.

You said it better than I did...but that is what I was trying to say. It is almost like the "mis-haps" or "blunders" (or whatever you want to call them) are his persona now...so, whenever he screws up (drop key pass), or does something good (catch a TD pass) his reaction to that is part of his trade-mark. So, Sunday, when he handed the ball to the ref, that was funny...and it was done as a reaction to the Plaxico fine from the NFL. So, now, it becmomes, "what will he come up with next?" The comparison to Ocho Cinco is appropriate...good receivers (at one time for Ocho) who are being overshadowed by their silliness. It's like the Cubs, or (pains me to say it) the Bills, being known more to sports fans at large, for their dramatic failures than their brief shining moments of greatness... Johnson is basking in, what is attention for his negatives, than his positives.

You said it better than I did...but that is what I was trying to say. It is almost like the "mis-haps" or "blunders" (or whatever you want to call them) are his persona now...so, whenever he screws up (drop key pass), or does something good (catch a TD pass) his reaction to that is part of his trade-mark. So, Sunday, when he handed the ball to the ref, that was funny...and it was done as a reaction to the Plaxico fine from the NFL. So, now, it becmomes, "what will he come up with next?" The comparison to Ocho Cinco is appropriate...good receivers (at one time for Ocho) who are being overshadowed by their silliness. It's like the Cubs, or (pains me to say it) the Bills, being known more to sports fans at large, for their dramatic failures than their brief shining moments of greatness... Johnson is basking in, what is attention for his negatives, than his positives.

Buftex, I like you man. And even billsfreak, I respect your positions even though I bust your chops.

BUT...

You guys read waaaaaaay too much into this $#it and spend way too much time over-analyzing such trivial things.

Youre going to decide whether or not we should re-sign our best WR based on his TD celebrations?!?

The point of football is...

1) Fun

2) Winning

That's how I've always seen it anyway. To me, seeing the Bills win is secondary to taking Sunday off to veg on the couch with some chips and guacamole and have some fun watching football. So when Stevie makes me laugh like that, it's 100% a positive.

1) Fun

2) Winning

That's how I've always seen it anyway. To me, seeing the Bills win is secondary to taking Sunday off to veg on the couch with some chips and guacamole and have some fun watching football. So when Stevie makes me laugh like that, it's 100% a positive.

And it doesn't hurt that he plays hard every play!....no lazy routes...blocks down the field....gets just as excited for his teammates scoring as he does for himself....played hurt...and has never complained about not getting enuff looks....oh he draws double teams and can't be stop one on ones.... his positive outweigh the negatives everytime for this guy

1) Fun

2) Winning

You mean this isnt a matter of life and death? Careful who in Buffalo you let in on this secret. Their entire world may collapse.

And it doesn't hurt that he plays hard every play!....no lazy routes...blocks down the field....gets just as excited for his teammates scoring as he does for himself....played hurt...and has never complained about not getting enuff looks....oh he draws double teams and can't be stop one on ones.... his positive outweigh the negatives everytime for this guy

Yes, Yes, and Yes!

:thumbsup:

The Bills need him. The Bills DON'T need yet another hole to fill on the roster. Stevie is a young playful, jovial guy who sometimes goes too far. But he has fun, loves the Bills, loves the city, loves the guys he plays with and wants to make this team a winner and be a part of it. Pay him a good amount of money and he stays. If you lose him you have to fill his spot with someone who is not as good as him so why let him walk? That's stupid!

Buftex, I like you man. And even billsfreak, I respect your positions even though I bust your chops.

BUT...

You guys read waaaaaaay too much into this $#it and spend way too much time over-analyzing such trivial things.

Youre going to decide whether or not we should re-sign our best WR based on his TD celebrations?!?

Agree.

Dude, get over it. So you don't like that he celebrates. You don't like that he hands the ball to the ref. Just be happy he scored a TD.

Dr. Dareustein, will you be watching our now pointless games at Hudson Grill? Sadly, I can't stop. We'll have to say hi. Man, the mood in that bar Sunday was morose.

BUT...

\

I didn't say we shouldn't re-sign him. Where did I say that? I hope they do, but, honestly I have my doubts that they will. If he wants elite receiver money, he won't get it in Buffalo.

Also, I don't think you got my point, or I didn't make it very well.

Edited by Buftex

link to what? you didn't hear it on TV? where you asleep or not listening to any of the radio shows on Monday after that game?

You have to be kidding me you didn't hear those things being said on the air in the media...

Honestly, I didn't hear anyone say cut him for that. What TV show was that said on? I don't listen to the buffalo radio talk shows. Again, what TV show?

Honestly, I didn't hear anyone say cut him for that. What TV show was that said on? I don't listen to the buffalo radio talk shows. Again, what TV show?

Merill Hoge said Buffalo should cut Stevie Johnson multiple times on the Monday following the game on ESPN. Don't remember which show. They're all the same.

Here's a video.

Edited by GOBILLS78

Agree.

Dude, get over it. So you don't like that he celebrates. You don't like that he hands the ball to the ref. Just be happy he scored a TD.

Dr. Dareustein, will you be watching our now pointless games at Hudson Grill? Sadly, I can't stop. We'll have to say hi. Man, the mood in that bar Sunday was morose.

Yes, I'll definitely be there this week as it is our Buffalo Tailgate Party! Unfortunately, it looks like we should have had the tailgate back when we played the Redskins and there were more people willing to come to the bar. Oh well... See you there Sunday! (I'll be running the games, stop on by)

\

I didn't say we shouldn't re-sign him. Where did I say that? I hope they do, but, honestly I have my doubts that they will. If he wants elite receiver money, he won't get it in Buffalo.

Also, I don't think you got my point, or I didn't make it very well.

Not that you said it but others have. And that is where this is all leading to. A big case about why SJ is a jerk and should be ran out of town. Why else would people be bashing him over stupid TD celebrations? Who cares?

From rumors and reports earlier in the season, I believe the Bills were offering him around $5mil/season and he was asking for $7/mil. I think somewhere in between that is very fair for both sides at this point.

Actually, Merrill Hoge, in typical ESPN melo-dramatic fashion, said that the Bills needed to cut Steve Johnosn, the day after the (last) Jets loss, for his Plaxico imitation, to "send a message". If you watch ESPN programming at all, about 75% of it consists of one analyst taking an extreme stance on something, and then 10 others chiming in on whether they agree or not...it reached it's zenith this past pre-season, when controversy swirled around Eli Manning becuase he thought he "belongs in the same class as Tom Brady". It was ESPN talk 24/7 for about 5 straight days.

Of course, half the "expert" idiots on ESPN also were in agreement that John Elway "must cut Tim Tebow" right before the season started, becase his popularity among the fans would, when he "clearly" isn't talented enough to win the starting QB job, would be bad for the franchise.

From rumors and reports earlier in the season, I believe the Bills were offering him around $5mil/season and he was asking for $7/mil. I think somewhere in between that is very fair for both sides at this point.

Well, that is interesting. I thought I had heard that there had been no talks between Johnson and the Bills. Right before they extended Fitzpatrick, it seemed like all the talk (amongst fans) was about getting Fred Jackson and Steve Johnson re-signed...the Fitzpatrick deal, for me anyways, kind of came out fo left field.

BTW- perhaps it is all aestehtics, and some of us are more open to td celebrations than others. But, I have absolutely no problem with them when a team is winning. As Sage said, football is about 1) Fun and 2) Winning. To me, the fun comes with the winning.