A Few Thoughts About The Game

Bill from NYC

1) OK, here is the thing about Barnett...the man can play. The thing is, he is playing next to a collection of nobodies. Imagine what he would do if offenses had to account for Courtney Upshaw instead of Chris Kelsay? More on Kelsay coming up.

2) The TD catch by Brad Smith was great. It was a lousy pass to boot. Yes, Smith earned his money today, and he COULD have won us the football game.

3) The drop by Nelson late in the 3rd qtr. was crucial. I really want to like this kid but he needs concentration, which earlier in the season seemed to be his forte. I don't get it.

4) Stevie Johnson is a big question mark. The pass that he dropped might have been the best pass of the season thrown by Fitz. And, his dance act penalty hurt us. Otoh, he caught passes on Revis. He is a very good receiver but he pissed me off today. Big time.

5) Thanks Coach Gailey for the 53 yard FG. I would have punted. And thanks for grabbing Fitz on the sidelines and calling good plays. The man knows offense. Period.

6) Somebody in Bills management needs to get a f*&$^%g pen, and sign Chandler to a long term deal tonight. Seriously, I mean right this f*$#@&g second. Is he a superstar? No, but the kid can really play. They can even draft another tight end. I'm fine with Williams from Alabama. But Chandler is a key, and clutch player who they need to immediately sew up contractually. There is really nothing to debate here.

7) I wish I was a headlight, on a northbound train.

I wish I was a headlight, on a northbound train!

I'd shine my light through the,

Cool Colorado rain.

8) I understand that many here dislike Fitz because he isn't as good as Peyton Manning, or for other reasons. Today, he should be left alone imo. He had his fastball, his best pass was dropped, his protection was so-so, he ran well, and he fought til the end. Can he get a pass for today?

9) Pears is another player that I am confused about. I don't like to cop out on opinions so here it goes...He needs to improve to be a true asset to our football team. Can he? I think he can. Btw, consider me almost a fan of Urbik. He too needs to improve and I actually think he will. He needs to be re-signed, and soon imo.

10) In the 3rd qtr., Spiller was walking back to the huddle and was accidently bumped by a Jet player. He almost fell. PLEASE.....did anyone else see this? Again, I would accept a 6th round pick for this worthless smurf if I was the GM. Prove me wrong CJ!!!!!!

11) Btw, thanks to anyone and everyone who takes the time to read my weekly thoughts. I love the dialogue, and I love the Buffalo Bills football team.

12) If the Bills had Revis and Mel Blount in their prime playing corner, they would get burned. We have NO pass rush. We absolutely need to address this in the 2012 draft before we do anything else. This pass rush is so bad that we were worse when Kelsay (who is God awful) was out. Sanchez is NO better than Trent Edwards, and we let him beat us. This is unacceptable.

13) GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by Bill from NYC

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Draft needs. D line. Linebacker. O line.

Groundhog Day!

Fitz threw the one pass on the run behind Johnson. Whatever. With no running game, a shaky line, and one starting WR, he almost beat the Jets. He gets more than a pass from me. If the Bills put pressure on Sanchez one time today, maybe Fitz wins.

Play caling on the blitz that Sanchez completed to Burress? A joke. No pass rush all day and Sanchez can't do dick...then they go all out blitz and leave Williams on an island with Burress. I hate George Edwards, year 2.

Is it possible to hate Maybin more? Why yes, it is. $&@# I hate that little $&@#er.

Edited by Observer

6) Somebody in Bills management needs to get a f*&$^%g pen, and sign Chandler to a long term deal tonight. Seriously, I mean right this f*$#@&g second. Is he a superstar? No, but the kid can really play. They can even draft another tight end. I'm fine with Williams from Alabama. But Chandler is a key, and clutch player who they need to immediately sew up contractually. There is really nothing to debate here.

Chandler is an average TE IMO. He got burned in pass protection a few times, notably by Maybin and he's not the type to stretch defenses in the passing game. That said, there are about 8 other positions that need to be upgraded before TE but this offense would be greatly improved with a TE who can run the seam and attack zone coverage.

9) Pears is another player that I am confused about. I don't like to cop out on opinions so here it goes...He needs to improve to be a true asset to our football team. Can he? I think he can. Btw, consider me almost a fan of Urbik. He too needs to improve and I actually think he will. He needs to be re-signed, and soon imo.

Pears took a terrible penalty today and struggles mightily with speed on the edge. Now that it appears that Hairston is the new Bell, I'd like to see them draft an OT in the top 2 rounds to come in and start right away. Pears is a replacement level starter who should be upgraded as soon as possible. Regardless of the pairing being Bell/Pears or Hairston/Pears, Buffalo's OT situation is among the leagues worst.

I truly enjoy reading your comments and I have been thinking of something to disagree with just for the sake of an argument.

Here it is: I am not so quick to completely credit the play calling. Spiller into the line too often, Spiller on sweeps and screens not enough.

1) OK, here is the thing about Barnett...the man can play. The thing is, he is playing next to a collection of nobodies. Imagine what he would do if offenses had to account for Courtney Upshaw instead of Chris Kelsay? More on Kelsay coming up.

2) The TD catch by Brad Smith was great. It was a lousy pass to boot. Yes, Smith earned his money today, and he COULD have won us the football game.

3) The drop by Nelson late in the 3rd qtr. was crucial. I really want to like this kid but he needs concentration, which earlier in the season seemed to be his forte. I don't get it.

4) Stevie Johnson is a big question mark. The pass that he dropped might have been the best pass of the season thrown by Fitz. And, his dance act penalty hurt us. Otoh, he caught passes on Revis. He is a very good receiver but he pissed me off today. Big time.

5) Thanks Coach Gailey for the 53 yard FG. I would have punted. And thanks for grabbing Fitz on the sidelines and calling good plays. The man knows offense. Period.

7) I wish I was a headlight, on a northbound train.

I wish I was a headlight, on a northbound train!

I'd shine my light through the,

Cool Colorado rain.

8) I understand that many here dislike Fitz because he isn't as good as Peyton Manning, or for other reasons. Today, he should be left alone imo. He had his fastball, his best pass was dropped, his protection was so-so, he ran well, and he fought til the end. Can he get a pass for today?

10) In the 3rd qtr., Spiller was walking back to the huddle and was accidently bumped by a Jet player. He almost fell. PLEASE.....did anyone else see this? Again, I would accept a 6th round pick for this worthless smurf if I was the GM. Prove me wrong CJ!!!!!!

11) Btw, thanks to anyone and everyone who takes the time to read my weekly thoughts. I love the dialogue, and I love the Buffalo Bills football team.

12) If the Bills had Revis and Mel Blount in their prime playing corner, they would get burned. We have NOpass rush. We absolutely need to address this in the 2012 draft before we do anything else. This pass rush is so bad that we were worse when Kelsay (who is God awful) was out. Sanchez is NObetter than Trent Edwards, and we let him beat us. This is unacceptable.

Hello Bill,

Good stuff as usual. My comments to your comments:

1) Barnett - Best free agent Buddy has ever signed.

2) Brad Smith - best game as a Bill. motivated by NY Jets and crowd

3) Nelson - good slot #3, not a #2.

4) Stevie Johnson - needs to grow up. Cost us dearly today.

5) Coach Gailey - did all he could.

6) Chandler - woudl like to see him get more passes.

7) I almost never get your lyrics.

8) Fitz - good game today. Not great, but good.

9) Pears - two penalties and he let Maybin run around him for a sack. Looking more like a backup as the season goes on. I expect Hairston to challenge him at RT next season.

10) Spiller - his best game but looks limited as a NFL RB.

11) your welcome

12) Add Mel Renfro, Herb Adderly and Willie Brown to that list.

I thought for sure you'd re-visit the comments on Spencer Johnson playing out of position at ROLB today. He was atrocious and that's being kind. He was trying but he's so underskilled for the position it's painful to watch. I'd rather leave Kelsay where he is and have Upshaw bringing it from the weak side.

GO BILLS!!!

For what its worth... your weekly post is part of my weekly Sunday-evening must-read list. Always enjoy them.

JDG

Are you kidding me about Fitz!? At the very end of the game, he had a WIDE OPEN guy in the end zone, and threw it BEHIND HIM! A good HS QB could have made that throw. I'm not asking for "Manning", but IMO, Fitz is just average at best.

Watch that play again. Watch it 12 times.

He was running, pressured horribly.

Did you not see every other missle Fitz threw today? Some of them I was downright terrified to see until I realized he was in his zone.

You're being too easy on Stevie. The evidence just keeps piling up that the dude just doesn't have what it takes to be a reliable receiver. You can say whatever you want about the catches he did make today but c'mon, twice now he has LOST games for us. How many more times does this need to happen before we wise up??

Totally agree about Fitz though, he def deserves a pass this week. It is starting to really seem like he could get it done with some consistency around him.

Edited by cosmo

Draft needs. D line. Linebacker. O line.

Groundhog Day!

Fitz threw the one pass on the run behind Johnson. Whatever. With no running game, a shaky line, and one starting WR, he almost beat the Jets. He gets more than a pass from me. If the Bills put pressure on Sanchez one time today, maybe Fitz wins.

Play caling on the blitz that Sanchez completed to Burress? A joke. No pass rush all day and Sanchez can't do dick...then they go all out blitz and leave Williams on an island with Burress. I hate George Edwards, year 2.

Is it possible to hate Maybin more? Why yes, it is. $&@# I hate that little $&@#er.

Ditto this :thumbsup:

Another Sunday, another loss. The Bills find new ways to frustrate me every week lately, but with the same result. I understand we need more talent, and I think it will be 2012 at least before we are an upper tier team. That being said, I wish they would find a way to steal wins on days like today. If you looked at the stats and not the final score, you would think the Bills had won today.

Another Sunday, another loss. The Bills find new ways to frustrate me every week lately, but with the same result. I understand we need more talent, and I think it will be 2012 at least before we are an upper tier team. That being said, I wish they would find a way to steal wins on days like today. If you looked at the stats and not the final score, you would think the Bills had won today.

I was wondering if someone else would catch this and comment.

I grew up as a football fan in the pre-VCR, pre-internet age. I learned to read a box score and a play-by-play to get the flavor of a game.

You're absolutely right, if you look at the stats, we had more first downs, more net yards, more than 12 minutes more TOP - leading late in the 4th quarter.

If you gave me that info to read but not the final score, I would say "we won, right?"

I get it that we're thin on depth. It just seems as though teams with overall, as little or less defensive talent, are managing to get more defense out of what talent they have

I was wondering if someone else would catch this and comment.

I grew up as a football fan in the pre-VCR, pre-internet age. I learned to read a box score and a play-by-play to get the flavor of a game.

You're absolutely right, if you look at the stats, we had more first downs, more net yards, more than 12 minutes more TOP - leading late in the 4th quarter.

If you gave me that info to read but not the final score, I would say "we won, right?"

I get it that we're thin on depth. It just seems as though teams with overall, as little or less defensive talent, are managing to get more defense out of what talent they have

Maybe other teams don't ask their players to do things that they are physically incapable of doing?

I truly enjoy reading your comments and I have been thinking of something to disagree with just for the sake of an argument.

Here it is: I am not so quick to completely credit the play calling. Spiller into the line too often, Spiller on sweeps and screens not enough.

This.

It seems as though Chan is determined to use Spiller as something he's not, rather than figuring out what he is, and scheming for that.

"Systems don't win, players do" per your .sig but....the right system can sure help the players.

Stevie just needs to mature a lot, and remain focused on those final drives. That drop across the middle was a perfect throw and it's just not acceptable to drop that.

We had a ton of stupid penalties that really added up in the end. Stevies dance played a huge role in costing us that 7 before the half. Then again Rayners kick was the icing on the cake.

I don't care what anyone says, Fitz played a great game today. He put us in position to win it several times and was thwarted by horrible defense and a dropped ball. A few weeks ago it looked like he would never have a good game against the Jets D, because like everyone kept saying ad nauseum, "they figured us out" and took away our strengths. Well Fitz did a great job in coming out today with amnesia and he lead a very efficient passing game against a top pass D, moving the ball well all game. None of his passes were even near-INTs...you could argue the Smith TD but he put it out there for Smith to make a play and it worked.

Seriously though...he never hesistated throwing it in Revis direction, which to me was very impressive. On a few slant routes he threaded the ball into the smallest of spaces, and he did it well and got us 1st downs. He is a streaky player but man, when he's on he is on. I just love watching him cause when he gets into a groove he just exudes confidence.

As for Spiller, he had some nice plays but overall wasn't a major factor like Freddy. I applaud Chan for never abandoning the run completely, but Spiller seemed to miss a lot of holes and run right into walls. Overall though Fitz was the reason we almost won, I just hope he can keep it up, I have no doubt we can win 3 more if we continue playing like this.

I also find it pretty cool that we managed to be so productive without our best player in the game. We probably would have won with Freddy today, but we made up for his absence nicely by spreading the ball around.