A Few Thoughts About The Game

Bill from NYC

This.

It seems as though Chan is determined to use Spiller as something he's not, rather than figuring out what he is, and scheming for that.

"Systems don't win, players do" per your .sig but....the right system can sure help the players.

If Chan knew the best ways to use Spiller, would we have the players to implement this playing style in the first place with our current o-line?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Stevie just needs to mature a lot, and remain focused on those final drives. That drop across the middle was a perfect throw and it's just not acceptable to drop that.

We had a ton of stupid penalties that really added up in the end. Stevies dance played a huge role in costing us that 7 before the half. Then again Rayners kick was the icing on the cake.

I don't care what anyone says, Fitz played a great game today. He put us in position to win it several times and was thwarted by horrible defense and a dropped ball. A few weeks ago it looked like he would never have a good game against the Jets D, because like everyone kept saying ad nauseum, "they figured us out" and took away our strengths. Well Fitz did a great job in coming out today with amnesia and he lead a very efficient passing game against a top pass D, moving the ball well all game. None of his passes were even near-INTs...you could argue the Smith TD but he put it out there for Smith to make a play and it worked.

Seriously though...he never hesistated throwing it in Revis direction, which to me was very impressive. On a few slant routes he threaded the ball into the smallest of spaces, and he did it well and got us 1st downs. He is a streaky player but man, when he's on he is on. I just love watching him cause when he gets into a groove he just exudes confidence.

As for Spiller, he had some nice plays but overall wasn't a major factor like Freddy. I applaud Chan for never abandoning the run

completely, but Spiller seemed to miss a lot of holes and run right into walls. Overall though Fitz was the reason we almost won, I just hope he can keep it up, I have no doubt we can win 3 more if we continue playing like this.

I also find it pretty cool that we managed to be so productive without our best player in the game. We probably would have won with Freddy today, but we made up for his absence nicely

by spreading the ball around.

In rayners defense it was an awful play call by chan to squib kick from our own 20 but yes rayners execution was poor. I am part of the split group of bills fans that is 100% behind Ryan fitzpatrick as the franchise qb for the next 5 years. With talent around him he is a very solid qb. Also cj is def no Fred jackson and even though Fredz age scares me I love the way he runs and I hope bills fans everywhere agree with me that I would like him to be the feature back for the next 3 or 4 years on this team. He is the best all purpose back in the NFL!

Don't know how to get my post out of that blue box yet lol

Edited by DocLawless

A couple of quick responses:

Agreed our pass rush is our to priority to improve. I still hope that in the draft we pick the BPA seven times to add as much talent to the team as possible. I think that with similar grades we will be able to focus some on the pass rush in the first part of the draft, but if at any pick the DE/OLB player isn't the best or close to it, I am happy passing each time.

You don't care for Spiller, and I think that impacts your assessment of him. Maybe if you were talking 19 rushes for 55 yards or something your point would be valid, but getting bumped on the way to a huddle takes away from any real criticism. I personally thought he ran pretty well, but had no holes. He also was much better in protection, but still has a lot to learn. We get the next five weeks to see him progress and find out his role, but I think he is going to be more important to this team than Roscoe, and that seems to be the label you are giving him (actually, the conditional 7th, now a 6th indicates worse).

Disappointing penalty and drop by Stevie, but he is getting beat up a little bit too much I think. The penalty didn't lead to the points by itself, because if we just kick that ball to the 15 and they run it to the 35 (-15 from a typical kickoff), Sanchez probably doesn't put points on the board, and if so more likely 3. The guy also caught 8 for 75 with a TD on Revis, one of the worst games ever for one of the top receivers. Got open for the one he dropped to, and was open again on the one thrown behind him on the end zone. Pretty great routes against the best, I think he can continue to mature and be a force for us.

And his TD celebration would have been awesome if he didn't go to the ground. Needs to talk to his choreographer about that because shooting, turning into a jet, and crashing the jet all while staying on his feet would have been awesome and legal.

Before I delve into Bill's comments, I just wanted to say I've been avoiding this forum for the past few weeks, thinking it's going to be a ridiculous stew of emotion and irrational thinking. Unfortunately, I decided to take a peek tonight, and confirmed my suspicions.

This is a football team that has been in constant turmoil with roster and coaching staff turnovers and has failed to build depth at almost all positions. They do a poor job at keeping the good players they have, and were a 3-13 football team last year.

Going into today's game, the following players were starters/important players at the beginning of the season and on IR or inactive:

- Roscoe Parrish (WR3)

- Shawne Merriman (OLB1)

- Kyle Williams (NT1)

- Eric Wood (C1)

- Terrence McGee (CB1/2)

- Fred Jackson (RB1)

- Rian Lindell (K1)

- George Wilson (S1)

- Demetrius Bell (LT1)

- Torell Troup (NT2)

- Donald Jones (WR4)

- Marcus Easley (WR5)

That's two starting offensive linemen, your top 2 nose tackles, two starting defensive backs, your star running back, three of your top 5 wrs, and an outside linebacker, all out.

It's amazing they were even in a game with huge playoff implications, on the road, versus the Jets.

1) OK, here is the thing about Barnett...the man can play. The thing is, he is playing next to a collection of nobodies. Imagine what he would do if offenses had to account for Courtney Upshaw instead of Chris Kelsay? More on Kelsay coming up.

I do think we need to get some linebackers, someone like that Maybin kid, he can really rush the passer. All kidding aside, the Bills are really lacking that DeMarcus Ware / Clay Matthews / Mario Williams outside 3-4 pass rusher/playmaker. Another backer somewhere is a needed addition too, but I like Sheppard's chances of at least decently filling one of the spots.

2) The TD catch by Brad Smith was great. It was a lousy pass to boot. Yes, Smith earned his money today, and he COULD have won us the football game.

I agree, it was a good performance by Brad. Isn't this some of the way we were supposed to be using him coming into this year? The slash type role means throwing & receiving, not just being a wildcat QB. Maybe the issue's been that he's just now starting to get comfortable enough with Gailey to have Chan use him more?

4) Stevie Johnson is a big question mark. The pass that he dropped might have been the best pass of the season thrown by Fitz. And, his dance act penalty hurt us. Otoh, he caught passes on Revis. He is a very good receiver but he pissed me off today. Big time.

Stevie Johnson is obviously a talent and one the Bills need to keep. We finally have someone who can be a star, and even a little bit of a diva, in Buffalo. He made Revis look silly most of the day, which is something how many receivers have been able to do? He's got huge talent and potential, and we can't afford to let our best players walk.

That being said, I totally agree with you on the penalty. I don't mind him doing the celebration (maybe I'm cruel but I thought it was kinda funny), but you can't take a penalty and hurt the team when you're having fun. He's an immature player right now and needs to be more careful when he's on the field. I'm 100% OK with the celebration if he doesn't get penalized. He needs to learn to have his fun, but keep it within the rules of the game.

Finally, on the Stevie Johnson drop thing, Fitz admitted he drew that up in the huddle, and Stevie did look surprised the ball was there so quick. Given that the Bills offense is based on timing, I can't say I really blame Stevie for that. Did he have a chance at it? Sure, but I'm questioning why they weren't running routes / plays they already had timing down to at that point. Shouldn't they have a play / route they know the timing of for pretty much any situation?

6) Somebody in Bills management needs to get a f*&$^%g pen, and sign Chandler to a long term deal tonight. Seriously, I mean right this f*$#@&g second. Is he a superstar? No, but the kid can really play. They can even draft another tight end. I'm fine with Williams from Alabama. But Chandler is a key, and clutch player who they need to immediately sew up contractually. There is really nothing to debate here.

I do think they need to resign him without breaking the bank. He makes TE much, much less of a priority. I'd go with a starting OLB, then building depth on OL, DL, DB as the top priorities over WR/TE at this point.

7) I wish I was a headlight, on a northbound train.

I wish I was a headlight, on a northbound train!

I'd shine my light through the,

Cool Colorado rain.

I'm still optimistic for the future, they're finding good players that fit their scheme, it's just going to take more time, they can't overome key injuries like this.

8) I understand that many here dislike Fitz because he isn't as good as Peyton Manning, or for other reasons. Today, he should be left alone imo. He had his fastball, his best pass was dropped, his protection was so-so, he ran well, and he fought til the end. Can he get a pass for today?

I actually like Fitz quite a bit and thought he played well today. I also don't think the past couple weeks were his fault - it was more a combination of o-line issues (injuries & reshuffling) and scheme handcuffing him IMO.

9) Pears is another player that I am confused about. I don't like to cop out on opinions so here it goes...He needs to improve to be a true asset to our football team. Can he? I think he can. Btw, consider me almost a fan of Urbik. He too needs to improve and I actually think he will. He needs to be re-signed, and soon imo.

Ehhh... it's hard to get a read on these linemen right now, with all the injuries and shuffling. I don't think any of us have delusions of grandeur with these guys, but it feels like there's the start to an o-line in there somewhere. The trick is going to be if we can identify who we should keep and who we should upgrade.

Wood scares the hell out of me now, breaking his left leg and then tearing the ACL in his right. Is he going to be able to hold up? Bell's obviously done. Levitre plays good most of the time, and Pears and Urbick seem like they can be contributors, but probably not standout guys. Jury's still out on Hairston, obviously.

10) In the 3rd qtr., Spiller was walking back to the huddle and was accidently bumped by a Jet player. He almost fell. PLEASE.....did anyone else see this? Again, I would accept a 6th round pick for this worthless smurf if I was the GM. Prove me wrong CJ!!!!!!

I thought Spiller made a few nice plays today. I'm surprised we have him starting a game and getting 19 carries though. I'm convinced he's going to be very useful / valuable when you can get him on the fly running routes, but other than that I don't see much. That being said, none of the RBs really did anything today, and it's not like I can say there were a ton of times that if he was just a second faster / had slightly better vision / etc he would have broke one.

12) If the Bills had Revis and Mel Blount in their prime playing corner, they would get burned. We have NOpass rush. We absolutely need to address this in the 2012 draft before we do anything else. This pass rush is so bad that we were worse when Kelsay (who is God awful) was out. Sanchez is NObetter than Trent Edwards, and we let him beat us. This is unacceptable.

Yeah, like I said earlier, we really need that hybrid DE/OLB or playmaking OLB in the Mario Williams, DeMarcus Ware, Clay Matthews fold. Man how I'd love to have one of them, they alone would make the D much different. That's the #1 priority to me right now. Kelsay tries his best to do it, bless his heart.

Edited by BlueFire

Chandler is an average TE IMO. He got burned in pass protection a few times, notably by Maybin and he's not the type to stretch defenses in the passing game. That said, there are about 8 other positions that need to be upgraded before TE but this offense would be greatly improved with a TE who can run the seam and attack zone coverage.

Pears took a terrible penalty today and struggles mightily with speed on the edge. Now that it appears that Hairston is the new Bell, I'd like to see them draft an OT in the top 2 rounds to come in and start right away. Pears is a replacement level starter who should be upgraded as soon as possible. Regardless of the pairing being Bell/Pears or Hairston/Pears, Buffalo's OT situation is among the leagues worst.

The thing is, Chandler scores touchdowns and picks up first downs. I wanted them to sign Boss, and I think that Chandler is doing as well as Boss would have. They need to give him a similar contract soon. And again, I hope they draft another TE, hopefully not a skinny, 225 pound Jauron TE.

Wrt OTs, you will never get an arguement from me.

I know the ACC isn't the toughest division in football but things must be real different at Clemson, cuz aside from about 2 or 3 runs which her got yards CJ cant hit the hole very fast or at all. Was it just me or did he run into the left tackle like 8 times. We to run more screens with him and more draws or dare i say a reverse, he cant pound between the tackles at 197 pounds.

The thing is, Chandler scores touchdowns and picks up first downs. I wanted them to sign Boss, and I think that Chandler is doing as well as Boss would have. They need to give him a similar contract soon. And again, I hope they draft another TE, hopefully not a skinny, 225 pound Jauron TE.

Wrt OTs, you will never get an argument from me.

Chandler is a great possession TE and catches just about everything thrown his way, which makes him a great asset. The Bills till could use a speedy TE that can catch as well.

The Bills definitely need some pass rush, perhaps 2 players. DE & OLB. But they also need some O line help.

I can't help but think how well the offense could have performed these last two years if this regime had drafted OT and O line instead of for the D line in their first draft .

The Bills should have traded Spiller for the 4th and kept Lynch

12) If the Bills had Revis and Mel Blount in their prime playing corner, they would get burned. We have NO pass rush. We absolutely need to address this in the 2012 draft before we do anything else. This pass rush is so bad that we were worse when Kelsay (who is God awful) was out. Sanchez is NO better than Trent Edwards, and we let him beat us. This is unacceptable.

Can't disagree with you one bit there. Snachez was on such a shaky limb that if the D had even knocked him around a little bit I think he would have crumbled. A true pressure LB is needed big time. Along with a true #1 WR.

Another Sunday, another loss. The Bills find new ways to frustrate me every week lately, but with the same result. I understand we need more talent, and I think it will be 2012 at least before we are an upper tier team. That being said, I wish they would find a way to steal wins on days like today. If you looked at the stats and not the final score, you would think the Bills had won today.

Put this loss squarely where it belongs, on George Edwards and his wretched defense. The Bills had the lead and Jets were on their own 18. 82 yards later, with a number of 3rd and longs, the Jets snow plowed Georges' aforementioned wretched defense for the winning TD, Sanchez's 4th of the day against George Edwards afore-aforementioned wretched defense.

I can't help but think how well the offense could have performed these last two years if this regime had drafted OT and O line instead of for the D line in their first draft .

I think that drafting DL was a good idea. The problem is who they drafted, or so it would appear. We have seen flashes from Carrington, and little to nothing from Troup. That said, imo Carrington would apply more pressure if there was a player on the outside that opposing lines had to be concerned with, even a little.

The OLB position looks like our OL used to, in that they don't really have a credible OLB (other than perhaps an inconsistent, and not terribly big) Moats. Like OTs, pass rushers are at a premium and tend to fly off the board early. They need to make a huge commitment to this position in the draft.

I know the ACC isn't the toughest division in football but things must be real different at Clemson, cuz aside from about 2 or 3 runs which her got yards CJ cant hit the hole very fast or at all. Was it just me or did he run into the left tackle like 8 times. We to run more screens with him and more draws or dare i say a reverse, he cant pound between the tackles at 197 pounds.

CJ hits the hole like I hit the lottery.

Finally, on the Stevie Johnson drop thing, Fitz admitted he drew that up in the huddle, and Stevie did look surprised the ball was there so quick. Given that the Bills offense is based on timing, I can't say I really blame Stevie for that. Did he have a chance at it? Sure, but I'm questioning why they weren't running routes / plays they already had timing down to at that point. Shouldn't they have a play / route they know the timing of for pretty much any situation?

That is way over complicating things, if you are a #1 WR you know when you are open and when the ball hits your hands with the game on the line you catch it plain and simple. Stevie has had two chances like that now and had the same result. I say find a way to make him the #2 or let him go to FA.

I actually thought our D was completely two-faced yesterday. We finally got off the field on some possessions and forced some 3 and outs, and we didn't get beat down early like the two prior games.

However while I felt our pass D did better, the rush D seemed to falter. Their first TD drive was almost all rushing and I was a bit surprised at how they didn't stuck with it really. The TD passes by Sanchez however were gimmes though thanks to blown coverage, and the blitz on 3rd and 11 cost us dearly. Overall I'd say some improvements were seen but were just not consistent, especially when we need them most. Our D won us 1 game this year, the one against Philly. That's just so much pressure on our QB to come out and score 30+ points each game which just isn't realistic.

Are you kidding me about Fitz!? At the very end of the game, he had a WIDE OPEN guy in the end zone, and threw it BEHIND HIM! A good HS QB could have made that throw. I'm not asking for "Manning", but IMO, Fitz is just average at best.

you are wrong. Fitz was absolutely amazing in that game. If SJohnson plays like a pro and catches the perfect strike thrown to him a few plays earlier, we win with a bunch of rookies and guys out of position on the field and Fitz is a genius.

I was hoping someone would take him out.

In fact, I'm pretty sure the penalty on Pears for unsportsmanlike conduct was him going after Maybin after the play--a penalty I fully support.

I am kind of with you on the late hit, of course hated losing the game, but the jets are cheap and it was time to stand up. Building block game for future wars against the jets . BY THE WAY talkiing about cheap shots . Mckelvin got wrecked after being on the groud for what seemed like 30 seconds