FAILey......

RkFast

Can someone smarter than me please explain why FAILey kept a player at a position where he was inept and worse, ran plays that expose the inability even more?

Levitre was physically unable to play center. He could not snap the ball. He just couldnt do it. Yet, Gailey continued to run a shotgun formation, exposing Levitre's incompetence even more. And when he finally puts Fitz under center at the goaline.....they run a QB sneak.

Did Levitre insult Gaileys mother or something?

Unconsionable to me. I can no longer say the Bills are "well coached" after seeing the pathetic decision making yesterday.

Can someone smarter than me please explain why FAILey kept a player at a position where he was inept and worse, ran plays that expose the inability even more?

Levitre was physically unable to play center. He could not snap the ball. He just couldnt do it. Yet, Gailey continued to run a shotgun formation, exposing Levitre's incompetence even more. And when he finally puts Fitz under center at the goaline.....they run a QB sneak.

Did Levitre insult Gaileys mother or something?

Unconsionable to me. I can no longer say the Bills are "well coached" after seeing the pathetic decision making yesterday.

I remarked to a friend that it was like watching someone try to take a Camaro off-roading.

It was astonishing how long it took them to do something about this - basically until garbage time (unless you want to refer to all but the first three minutes of the game as "garbage time").

If they didn't "lay down" yesterday, they sure as sh-- didn't show a pulse. I hope they get some bodies back, call up some receivers who can catch the ball, and give the Jets everything they've got.

Between Gailey's long leash with Edwards, the countless injuries, Fitz's sudden inability to keep his passes from sailing, the receiver dropsies, and the line juggling, I don't know what they've got, really. A month ago seems much further away than it really is.

Here is one take (all though i may be stretching it)....The OLine play in the middle in our division is very tough, and Levitre gives us the best chance to win those battles. yesterday, was a warm up vs. the jets, where Urbick will get eaten alive at Center. Unfortunately, the snaps didnt go well. Gailey was likely hoping Levitre would play better there. I think its a situation where he has showed in the past in practices he could play center, but hasnt had reps enough reps this year and it backfired. Bottom line is it's Gailey's fault that we didnt have a suitable answer when the C went down.

he never deserved megamind. we were beating up on **** defenses.

So we only count wins against top-5 defenses as being legit now? Funny how we don't hear from you people when times are good...

haha actually i was here the whole time giving the same speech. probably the reason i got banned 3 times.

Keep telling yourself that. And make sure you're wearing your tin foil hat nice and snug...the Greys can hear your thoughts.

I have been wondering the same thing, too. Rich Gannon kept commenting on that all game, even on the somewhat successful first drive. He kept saying that if Fitz had to continuously worry about getting a clean snap, that it would severely interfere with his ability to run the offense. What REALLY bothered me is that Gannon said in pre-game interviews, Fitz and Levitre admitted that there was a problem. The fact that this was a known issue heading into the game and that Chan STILL insisted on rolling with it after it was clearly failing, is unconscionable. I have been a big supporter of Chan's all year, but he just seems like a defeated man. The swagger that was there early on when the expectation to win seems to be gone. I know the injuries have taxed the shallow depth that was on this team, and that he deep down has to know that he is heading into each game with an under-manned crew. However, I just do not like this loser/bullied mentality that has over taken this team.

From Megamind to FAILey in 3 games.

PTR

Not me...I NEVER though he was some genius. I thought he was a good coach, however. After yesterdays showing in the second half, Im not so sure anymore. Im not one to typically second guess coaching decisions, but that was terrible. To leave a player who simply cannot play the position at all...and worse....run an offense that is very demanding of that position just defies logic. Im aware he didnt have many alternatives, but he had some. He could have went to a base offense of some sort and put Fitz under center....and he sure as hell DID NOT have to run a QB sneak at the goal line.

I was wondering about this too. During the game I was thinking that we should either abandon the shotgun or bring in someone else if we had anyone else.

I was also wondering, why don't we have a backup Center? Do other teams carry a backup Center. Or at least prepare someone in case we need him. Especially when your staring Center is injury riddled like Wood is.

Edited by reddogblitz

I have been wondering the same thing, too. Rich Gannon kept commenting on that all game, even on the somewhat successful first drive. He kept saying that if Fitz had to continuously worry about getting a clean snap, that it would severely interfere with his ability to run the offense. What REALLY bothered me is that Gannon said in pre-game interviews, Fitz and Levitre admitted that there was a problem. The fact that this was a known issue heading into the game and that Chan STILL insisted on rolling with it after it was clearly failing, is unconscionable. I have been a big supporter of Chan's all year, but he just seems like a defeated man. The swagger that was there early on when the expectation to win seems to be gone. I know the injuries have taxed the shallow depth that was on this team, and that he deep down has to know that he is heading into each game with an under-manned crew. However, I just do not like this loser/bullied mentality that has over taken this team.

I had the exact same thoughts/questions? The problem was known. If the job (one of the jobs) of a coach is to put people in a position where they can be successful, what happened here? It's not like this came from no where . . . just hard to fathom how an NFL team, including players and coach in this case, can consistently look so inept without something changing.

I think most of the problems on offense yesterday can be directly attributed to this center-to-OB exchange. If a play cannot start right, it certainly will not finish right.

Just untenable!

I had the exact same thoughts/questions? The problem was known. If the job (one of the jobs) of a coach is to put people in a position where they can be successful, what happened here? It's not like this came from no where . . . just hard to fathom how an NFL team, including players and coach in this case, can consistently look so inept without something changing.

I think most of the problems on offense yesterday can be directly attributed to this center-to-OB exchange. If a play cannot start right, it certainly will not finish right.

Just untenable!

I agree 100%

Fitz was off and IMO a HUGE reason for that were the bad snaps. In the second half, they were so off target and slow I think the Fins D-line was able to get just an extra half second jump due to how poor they were.

I was wondering about this too. During the game I was thinking that we should either abandon the shotgun or bring in someone else if we had anyone else.

I was also wondering, why don't we have a backup Center? Do other teams carry a backup Center. Or at least prepare someone in case we need him. Especially when your staring Center is injury riddled like Wood is.

What about Sanborn ? He is our long snapper but at least that's what he does ???????????????? :flirt:

Ive been a supporter of him and think he deserves a lot of credit for our early success. I believe as the season progressed injuries amounted and defenses adjusted to your scheme you have had your thumb up your a** for two long making adjustments to keep the opposition guessing.

- you hired Wannstedt... but yet you keep George Edwards as DC who has to be fired at the end of the season, why wait sh*t can him and try to put a little fire on the defense

- start running the 4-3...your linebackers are bad, doesn't it make sense to keep less of them on the field? Kelsay is not a good linebacker but he is a good 4-3 defensive end. We dont have 3-4 nose, Spencer Johnson has played well in spells at 4-3 defensive tackle..let him and Dareus play the middle then rotate the others at the other DE spot

- our WR are all banged up yet you insist on running the spread offense, can we not have a 3 RB set with Freddy, CJ, and a very punishing FB in Corey McIntyre? Maybe see some misdirections, reverses, pitches, fakes, something, anything? This would at least limit the amount of picks we throw with an inaccurate QB and balls bouncing off stone hand recievers not mention run some clock to keep our porous defense off the field longer.

After listening to Gailey’s pressers during this November death march, am I the only one that is concerned with his coined response regarding defensive breakdowns: “I have to check the film as I was too busy going over offensive stuff?” This guy is the chief executive officer on game days and only appears to be overseeing half of the operation; I am all for delegation, but he doesn’t seem to have a clue, nor does he care to have a glue about defensive football and we all know the adage that defense wins championships!

After listening to Gailey’s pressers during this November death march, am I the only one that is concerned with his coined response regarding defensive breakdowns: “I have to check the film as I was too busy going over offensive stuff?” This guy is the chief executive officer on game days and only appears to be overseeing half of the operation; I am all for delegation, but he doesn’t seem to have a clue, nor does he care to have a glue about defensive football and we all know the adage that defense wins championships!

He is the HEADCOACH and yet on gameday he coaches as if he is offensive coordinator. Is he even aware of what is defense is trying to do? He seems totally focused on offense.

He is the HEADCOACH and yet on gameday he coaches as if he is offensive coordinator. Is he even aware of what is defense is trying to do? He seems totally focused on offense.

He said as much. He said he focuses on the offense and does not get involved with the D-Coordinator's game management.

I don't mind a head coach who knows how to delegate, but he has to make sure that the person he is putting his trust in can get the job done. Edwards has had two years to show some progress and so far his unit is stinking up the joint.......again.

Yeah, but I just watched his press conference. Basically he said blah blah blah, we need to run better routes, F$tz needs better protection, and blah. What he should have said is we are screwed so I'm gonna keep throwing the same **** out there and see if it sticks to the wall. The Bills are gonna get destroyed by the Jets, again.

I don't think Gailey wants to fire Edwards immediately because, record-wise, Buff is far from out of contention. A staff shake up now might be interpreted by some in the locker room as giving up on this season already - which would probably assure their current free fall would continue through the rest of the season.

That said, i agree with you, i've seen enough of the Edwards hybrid experiment and think he should go after this season. The talent level on D is inadequate for anything other than a base 43 at this point. We don't even have enough decent DBs to field a competent nickel/dime defense on passing downs. Unless you're playing Denver every week, that spells death in today's league. Here's hoping Aaron Williams makes some big strides in the next few weeks.

You can't chastise Gailey for using the "film" defense. When emotions run high, one can easily misspeak. With 53 dudes in the loacker room that you are the leader of, wouldn't you be concerned about that and choose your words wisely. He could easily say this guy should have done this or that, but when you look at the film you notice something else... maybe a guy was held or foot caught in the turf... there are lots of things that can happen that you don't want to guess at and have to eat your words.

As for Wanny. OK, some posters got me started. WTF has Wanny done for anyone lately? He sucked with the Bears (look it up). He sucked with the Dolphins (look it up). He sucked with Pitt (look it up). End of story.

You can't chastise Gailey for using the "film" defense. When emotions run high, one can easily misspeak. With 53 dudes in the loacker room that you are the leader of, wouldn't you be concerned about that and choose your words wisely. He could easily say this guy should have done this or that, but when you look at the film you notice something else... maybe a guy was held or foot caught in the turf... there are lots of things that can happen that you don't want to guess at and have to eat your words.

As for Wanny. OK, some posters got me started. WTF has Wanny done for anyone lately? He sucked with the Bears (look it up). He sucked with the Dolphins (look it up). He sucked with Pitt (look it up). End of story.

Dr. he has used this comment on two straight weeks; he doesn't seem to need tape for recalling bad throws and a receiver's inability to separate, but when it comes to opponent receivers running roughshod over McKelvin or Florence he is asking for tape. My concern is that he is completely clueless when it comes to defense, I can understand areas of specialization, but a good head man needs to have attention to detail and familarity with all aspects of the operation, at least in my opinion. I believe Jauron had similar problems, but in a reverse order to Gailey.

I don't think Gailey wants to fire Edwards immediately because, record-wise, Buff is far from out of contention. A staff shake up now might be interpreted by some in the locker room as giving up on this season already - which would probably assure their current free fall would continue through the rest of the season.

That said, i agree with you, i've seen enough of the Edwards hybrid experiment and think he should go after this season. The talent level on D is inadequate for anything other than a base 43 at this point. We don't even have enough decent DBs to field a competent nickel/dime defense on passing downs. Unless you're playing Denver every week, that spells death in today's league. Here's hoping Aaron Williams makes some big strides in the next few weeks.

I think our locker room is where the problem starts. Who cares what a bunch of guys who aren't making plays think? I sure don't. Pull the trigger on Edwards, and let's get this show back on the road.

Edwards should have been gone after last season. Is there anyone who doesn't think that?

He said as much. He said he focuses on the offense and does not get involved with the D-Coordinator's game management.

I don't mind a head coach who knows how to delegate, but he has to make sure that the person he is putting his trust in can get the job done. Edwards has had two years to show some progress and so far his unit is stinking up the joint.......again.

Maybe this is the problem. Perhaps he doesn't know who the DC is.

The scary truth over the past three weeks is...he's been spending all his time focusing on the offense and we've mustered up how many points?

touche`

you have a good point; I think Chan may have gotten a bit too enamored with his spread offense. You need the right horses to win that race and right now there are too many key players hurting or out, he needs to adapt to the players he has left and come up with a simple workable offense that can eat up some clock and keep our porous defense off the field.

He may (did) suck as a head coach, but I believe his average defensive ranking was usually around 10th, and in Miami his defense over the 6 years overall average ranking was around 6th for total yards.

He is no Wade Phillips, and he does not have Ryan family connections, but his defenses have been respectable. No one is asking for him to be HC, just turn a 31st ranked defense into something that resembles an NFL defense.

Sorta like how Rex is with the Jets defense. I think this can work for a team if you have a good coordinator and the side of the ball your specializing on is performing.

another 5-5 team ...oh hey wait a minute. Every coach has a side of the ball they are more informed about and usually is the strength of the team. Boy we are really digging - you can stop digging it's called lack of players.