A Few Thoughts About The Game

I really do not understand the whole "The Wildcat Doesn't Work" mentality that some broadcasters have - not the first time I've heard that on the air. It's a WRINKLE that forces the other team to prepare a little but more - how is that not a nice thing to have in the arsenal? And once in awhile...? You get a freak 30+ yard big gainer.

The wildcat was absolutely no use yesterday, & is so predictable right now with the Bills it's a bit irritating. Everybody in the stadium knows Brad Smith is gonna do his little stutter, then pick up a yard or two. Hand it off to Freddie...at least there's the potential there for something big.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The wildcat was absolutely no use yesterday, & is so predictable right now with the Bills it's a bit irritating. Everybody in the stadium knows Brad Smith is gonna do his little stutter, then pick up a yard or two. Hand it off to Freddie...at least there's the potential there for something big.

Fitz is the guy who should be taking the snap on EVERY play. Is there any other team even using the wildcat anymore? I can't say I remember seeing it in any game this year. I'd be shocked if the answer is more than a couple of teams besides the Bills, and my guess would be that their QB's are less than stellar.

Edited by LabattBlue

#9. Stevie was drafted in the 7th Round. The other WRs currently active were UDFAs. We do have 2 WRs on IR that were drafted (Roscoe, Easley).

Digging deeper at the skilled positions: Fitz was drafted in the 7th round, Freddy was undrafted and Chandler, though drafted, was waived more than once before the Bills picked him up.

It's a no-name offense.

I really do not understand the whole "The Wildcat Doesn't Work" mentality that some broadcasters have - not the first time I've heard that on the air. It's a WRINKLE that forces the other team to prepare a little but more - how is that not a nice thing to have in the arsenal? And once in awhile...? You get a freak 30+ yard big gainer.

Didn't we get a first down each time? There was one that went no where, but I don't think it was a 3rd down play.

More accurately, we destroyed a team that we should have beaten. I would have reacted like this to a ho-hum 23-13 win, but we killed 'em. In fact, we've played 2 bad teams this year (and KC is on a 3-game win streak now so who knows) and we have destroyed both of those teams. That's what really good teams do.

KC could win 7 straight - they'd be good now but they were BAD that day. That's not going to change. They were talented but in a state of total disarray. It seems they've pulled together lately but that doesn't change who we beat week 1

Thing that really, really worries me is Fitz still hasn't thrown that deep ball effectively, and this is a concern for me. He could have thrown it ten yards ahead of CJ and CJ would have run under it?? Not sure what Fitz is doing wrong here? But other than that, we beat a team we should have beaten, but shutting them out was an impressive exclamation mark on the game!

Tim-

4) Troy Aikman raised some points about the wildcat. He hates it; I however love it because of Brad Smith. That said, he mentioned that he would have been furious at being lifted on 3rd and 2. This says something about Fitz. Is he complaining? No, he is following the coaches orders/gameplan in an unselfish way. There is so much to like about Fitz I wouldn't know where to start.

I thought when Aikman was talking about that it was very interesting. He was coming off as very candid, but also very pompous and as a bad teammate.

I like the wildcat in short yardage situations, I can't seem to remember a time where it has failed.

Actually, Fred Davis is their starting TE and if they ever lost him, that would be more hurtful than the past-his-prime Cooley.

Tim Hightower, while called starting RB, actually shared duties with Ryan Torain/

We lost our starting LT, backup LT, starting NT, starting OLB....I think our injuries were far more serious than theirs. What happened is that on the field, the Bills played much better than the Redskins.

The Skins were also without their starting WR Santana Moss, which would be like the Bills losing Stevie Johnson.

Then Tim Hightower was the starting RB, and the reason that Torain got the nod for one game was because Hightower was slightly injured, and has been slightly injured. Hightower is now on IR!

So imagine the Bills without RB Fred Jackson and WR Stevie Johnson....

Clearly the Redskins player injury losses were far more significant then the Buffalo Bills were, look at which team won the game :D And look how many points that Redskin offense scored. That Bills 30th ranked defense just jetted up in the rankings without the starting NT and OLB.

Edited by Fear the Beard

Or throw it. The problem with the Bills' implementation of it is that they always seem to let Brad Smith run the option play with it. Perhaps they're setting this up for future use, but all they've done with it is run Smith off tackle.

Not to dampen anyones enthusiasm but I wouldnt take too much from this, other than we beat a team we should have. Skins injuries and benchings are the equivalent of starting thigpen over fitz, spiller over Jackson and Roosevelt over Stevie, among others. Other than fletcher that was the most lifeless team I can recall seeing. Read the DC press and they are calling or shannies head far worse than we ever did for jaurons. they're also callig nepotism for his son the OC who they said would be fired if not for the family connection.

Jets are superior to them at nearly every position and abberations like 9 sacks and no points against won't happen

So take this for what it was, a tune up game for a much better opponent and more important game next week.

As always GO BILLS!!

Punk. the Bills did waht they a good team should: The demolished lesser competition.

Or throw it. The problem with the Bills' implementation of it is that they always seem to let Brad Smith run the option play with it. Perhaps they're setting this up for future use, but all they've done with it is run Smith off tackle.

My guess is this as well^^^

Chan is waiting for that "perfect" time to have Brad throw it? I dunno, makes me feel better thinking this way at least. LOL

I can't understand why we don't have Brad throw the ball a few times? IMO it makes for a bigger headache for DC's trying to scheme for it?

Shakes head on this one?

Tim-

No love for Spiller for his great downfield blocking on Freddie's long runs?

Nice job by CJ on those. Why can they never get him any of those dump off's over the middle where he can use his speed like Freddie does? Actually on the one's they do get him, he always gets tripped up. CJ needs to learn from Fred and use straight libe speed instead of trying to juke around people.

My guess is this as well^^^

Chan is waiting for that "perfect" time to have Brad throw it? I dunno, makes me feel better thinking this way at least. LOL

I can't understand why we don't have Brad throw the ball a few times? IMO it makes for a bigger headache for DC's trying to scheme for it?

Shakes head on this one?

Tim-

That's how Miami ran it against New England a few years ago when they first brought it out. I believe Ronnie Brown threw it a couple times in that game alone, then ran it for some big gains. It's the perfect scenario to have Smith throw it because of his QB experience.

Again, perhaps Chan is saving it. However, if there's any team to be ready for it, it will be the Jets.

The Skins lost 5 starters in the last 2 weeks, no doubt they are reeling from injuries.

O line injuries,their best WR, the starting RB and TE and all those injuries did have a big effect on the outcome of that game

Buffalo is currently dealing with a bunch of injuries themselves...the thing is ....how good would the Bills be without Fred Jackson at RB, Chandler at TE, Johnson at WR plus a back up QB in the game....that is what the Skins are currently dealing with.

However, this game showed that the Bill know how to game plan an opponent and can dominate hapless teams just like they did with the Chiefs. :worthy:

The Bills have as many injuries, perhaps more, than the Skins. They have lost two LTs, 2 of their top 3 WRs, a starting LB, a starting pro bowl NT. What this game showed to me is that the Bills are far ahead of the Skins with respect to talent and depth, and that Gailey at this point is a far better coach than Shanahan.

You are correct, so far. I bet against NYJ he throws one up deep. Does the "Tebow" run into the line a little, step back and throws a bomb.

I also like how so many guys on this team are able to rotate into a different position due to injuries. This reminds me of how the Pats do things. Team first mentality.

The team is buying what Gailey and the rest of the coaches are selling. In the NFL that is what matters!

This weeks game is the most important game yet. But hell i say that every week.

Edited by atlbillsfan1975

We're saving our wildcat passes for the playoffs?