A Few Thoughts About The Game

The Bills weren't playing the 3rd string LT, they moved the starting guard to LT.

Maybe I'm just not as astute as the rest of the football public ... but it seems to me that if your 1st string LT gets hurt you replace him with the 2nd string LT ... and when he goes down, he gets replaced with the third string LT.

While I do agree he is normally the 1st string LG .... he is still the third string LT.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe I'm just not as astute as the rest of the football public ... but it seems to me that if your 1st string LT gets hurt you replace him with the 2nd string LT ... and when he goes down, he gets replaced with the third string LT.

While I do agree he is normally the 1st string LG .... he is still the third string LT.

I think you would be correct.

I really do not understand the whole "The Wildcat Doesn't Work" mentality that some broadcasters have - not the first time I've heard that on the air. It's a WRINKLE that forces the other team to prepare a little but more - how is that not a nice thing to have in the arsenal? And once in awhile...? You get a freak 30+ yard big gainer.

Agreed. As I've said before it seems like people want to hold it to a higher standard than 'regular plays' and consider it a failure if it doesn't go for a 50yd TD circa Ronnie Brown vs NE. If you get 3 yards on a 3rd&2 handoff that's usually considered a successful play, no? :blink:

Did the WildCat not get us a first down on a third and two? And he does have pretty close to a 5 yard Rushing average does he not? As long as he keeps running effectively and picking us up first downs on third and short situations, I have no problem with the Wildcat.

Didn't we get a first down each time? There was one that went no where, but I don't think it was a 3rd down play.

This sounds like why we don't throw it.

If the run is there for the first down, take it. Mix it up when linebackers stops respecting the pass and move up to the line.

i like your avatar...who is she?

That's how Miami ran it against New England a few years ago when they first brought it out. I believe Ronnie Brown threw it a couple times in that game alone, then ran it for some big gains. It's the perfect scenario to have Smith throw it because of his QB experience.

Again, perhaps Chan is saving it. However, if there's any team to be ready for it, it will be the Jets.

8) Thankfully, Gailey is WAY more aggressive than me lol! That said, I was sick to my stomach when Fitz threw the pick right around the deuce at halftime.

London Fletcher got away with some contact in the endzone on Stevie there...basically stiff armed him to the ground as Stevie came out of his break...

Akerwomen seems to have his head frozen in the time when he considered himself American's hero. The wildcat has a place in today's NFL as its another way of attacking more sophisticated defenses, which don't have an answer for a QB who runs to the open spot in the middle of the line as a first option. If the defense runs a twist or stunt that overloads a section of the offensive line, then there is a big gapping hole for someone like Smith to run through for an easy 5-7 yards. If the just hit and hold all the gaps, then a short pass behind the linebackers is also undefended. Acheingwomen isn't smart enought to see this type of evolution coming. We now have a number of big running QB's in the league and its only a matter of time before we see more of this as designed plays. Screw prettyboy. :censored:

I'd like to see more option plays off tackle that the Jets would run with Brad all the time...our wildcat package has been very vanilla thus far...

but maybe there a reason for it...waiting for the weather to turn to start using/opening it up more

The Skins were also without their starting WR Santana Moss, which would be like the Bills losing Stevie Johnson.

Then Tim Hightower was the starting RB, and the reason that Torain got the nod for one game was because Hightower was slightly injured, and has been slightly injured. Hightower is now on IR!

So imagine the Bills without RB Fred Jackson and WR Stevie Johnson....

Um...mo...in NO way is Tim Hightower as good a RB as Fred Jackson. Us losing Spiller is like them losing Hightower. And besides, isn't Shanahan such a "genius" that he can turn any RB into a 1,000 yard rusher? That was his perceived MO in Denver.

No he isn't, the starting guard was moved to the LT position, he was never listed as a LT on the depth chart. If they had moved Young to LT then you could say they were on their 3rd tackle at the LT position. When Bell or Hairston get healthy they will be the starting LT again and Levitre will move back to guard. Evan the depth chart on the Bills website still lists Levitre as the starting guard

http://www.buffalobi...epth-chart.html

The entire point you were trying to make is how many more sacks the Bills could have gotten if the Redskins were starting their 3rd string LT, well they don't have a guard with LT experience they can slide over! That Redskin O line is horrifically bad!

http://www.washingto...truggles-on-fu/

Plus the fact that the Washington starting #1 receiver and #1 RB didn't play. Like I said, take away the 194 yards that Fred Jackson put up, and the 57 yards Johnson got and then put in Tyler Thigpen for Fitz and Bills wouldn't look much better then the Redskins, maybe worse

No he isn't, the starting guard was moved to the LT position, he was never listed as a LT on the depth chart. If they had moved Young to LT then you could say they were on their 3rd tackle at the LT position. When Bell or Hairston get healthy they will be the starting LT again and Levitre will move back to guard. Evan the depth chart on the Bills website still lists Levitre as the starting guard

http://www.buffalobi...epth-chart.html

The entire point you were trying to make is how many more sacks the Bills could have gotten if the Redskins were starting their 3rd string LT, well they don't have a guard with LT experience they can slide over! That Redskin O line is horrifically bad!

http://www.washingto...truggles-on-fu/

Plus the fact that the Washington starting #1 receiver and #1 RB didn't play. Like I said, take away the 194 yards that Fred Jackson put up, and the 57 yards Johnson got and then put in Tyler Thigpen for Fitz and Bills wouldn't look much better then the Redskins, maybe worse

You make valid points. Off the top of my head, I remember a play in which a Redskins offensive lineman blocked the wrong guy. As a result, a Bills DL didn't have anyone even trying to block him. Needless to say, that guy got an easy sack. On another play, the Redskins WR fell down while running his route, thereby allowing Byrd to get an INT. The Redskins made mistakes like that all game long. A team that played as badly as the Redskins played yesterday would likely go 0-16, unless it faced this year's Colts or Dolphins teams. Even then, the games would probably come down to the wire.

On the other hand, I have to admit that the Bills' defense looked a lot more impressive yesterday than it had earlier in the season. Last season the defense improved as the year went on. It's possible we're witnessing the beginning of a similar improvement this season. But it would be premature to assert that with certainty. I'll wait to see how this "new and improved" Bills defense does against NFL-level offenses before pronouncing judgment.

FOX must have said something to Aikman during the broadcast. He came out with guns blazing against Buffalo and specifically Gailey. Then, randomly in the second half, he's all of a sudden singing our praises. It was childish at first. I expect national broadcasters to at least make an effort to be unbiased.

I got that same impression. At the beginning of the game after Tom B brought up that Chan had coached Aikman's Cowboys to 2 playoff appearances, he was quick to respond that they didn't win a playoff game -- so his firing was understandable. In the second half when the route was on, he spoke glowingly of Chan and how Jerry admitted that his biggest mistake was in not giving Chan a fair shake. Aikman even went as far as to say that the team that Chan inherited was getting old and that what he was able to do with them was commendable. He also raved about the Kelly-era Bills and what an achievement it was for them to go to 4 straight Super Bowls. He didn't even mention that 2 of the losses were to his Cowboys. Clearly someone at FOX told him to change his tune.

I will say, though, that I agree with him about the Wildcat. Brad Smith is pretty good at converting those 3rd and 1 plays into fist downs -- but I otherwise cringe when I see him with the ball.

Fitz is the guy who should be taking the snap on EVERY play. Is there any other team even using the wildcat anymore? I can't say I remember seeing it in any game this year. I'd be shocked if the answer is more than a couple of teams besides the Bills, and my guess would be that their QB's are less than stellar.

I respectfully disagree. Smith has picked up KEY first downs all season long. I can't put stats or numbers behind it, but I feel as if we simply were not picking up many first downs on 3rd and 3, etc. for years.

And I truly believe that before the season is over, Brad Smith will win us a game.

No mention of Spencer Johnson and getting reps at OLB. He was all over the field as well. Also This OL really jelled better today seems like more reps help Andy and Rienhart but Urbick, Wood and Pears do a great job at setting Freddie free. Now comes the hard part of the schedule but I am liking what I see this team will compete each week. Would love to see same heat we brought on Beck against Sanchez I think he will crumble.

Absolutely. Spencer Johnson was all over the place and had the best game of his career. :thumbsup:

8) Thankfully, Gailey is WAY more aggressive than me lol! That said, I was sick to my stomach when Fitz threw the pick right around the deuce at halftime.

normally this would annoy me. not yesterday. even though our lead was only 10-0 (i think), i knew it would not get close.

the int had zero effect on me.

I respectfully disagree. Smith has picked up KEY first downs all season long. I can't put stats or numbers behind it, but I feel as if we simply were not picking up many first downs on 3rd and 3, etc. for years.

And I truly believe that before the season is over, Brad Smith will win us a game.

7 games, 19 carries, 7 first downs, for an average of a whopping ONE first down per game. I'll stick with my statement that I would rather have Fitz at QB, and Jackson running the ball.

Edited by LabattBlue

I got that same impression. At the beginning of the game after Tom B brought up that Chan had coached Aikman's Cowboys to 2 playoff appearances, he was quick to respond that they didn't win a playoff game -- so his firing was understandable. In the second half when the route was on, he spoke glowingly of Chan and how Jerry admitted that his biggest mistake was in not giving Chan a fair shake. Aikman even went as far as to say that the team that Chan inherited was getting old and that what he was able to do with them was commendable. He also raved about the Kelly-era Bills and what an achievement it was for them to go to 4 straight Super Bowls. He didn't even mention that 2 of the losses were to his Cowboys. Clearly someone at FOX told him to change his tune.

I will say, though, that I agree with him about the Wildcat. Brad Smith is pretty good at converting those 3rd and 1 plays into fist downs -- but I otherwise cringe when I see him with the ball.

I thought Troy was pretty complementary to the Bills. I didn't pickup on any attitude that that the Fox exec's would want to tune up Troy's comments. I think some people are extra sensitive to anything Dallas.

7 games, 19 carries, 7 first downs, for an average of a whopping ONE first down per game. I'll stick with my statement that I would rather have Fitz at QB, and Jackson running the ball.

OK, thanks for the stats. :) It would also be cool to know how many times he didn't convert on 3rd down. And I will stick to my statement/hunch/hope that he will win us a game this season.

I guess we will see how it plays out.

GO BILLS!!!!!

OK, thanks for the stats. :) It would also be cool to know how many times he didn't convert on 3rd down. And I will stick to my statement/hunch/hope that he will win us a game this season.

I guess we will see how it plays out.

GO BILLS!!!!!

I'm nitpicking seeing how they are 5-2. I'd just rather see them do without the wildcat. I agree...here's hoping there is a game winning play in Smith's near future.

I just don't get the mind set of discounting our wins ... were the redskins hurting? sure they were, every team in the NFL are hurting.

We won this game with two of our starting wide recievers out (we started a running back as a wideout for gods sake), our starting LT and our second string LT out, our starting LG moved to LT and our second string LG playing. We have a starting OLB on IR, the starting OLB on the other side has just returned from a multi week injury so therefore wasn't 100%, our starting NT was out, his backup is fighting a cronic back problem so we started our rookie DE as a NT and just kind of mixed and matched were appropriate.

I guess what I'm trying to say is a win is a win .... no excuses ... no if, ands, or buts. Our coaching staff out coached their coaching staff, and our players beat their players man for man ... now on to the Jets ... I can't wait to hear their lame excuses as to why we beat them.

This puzzles me as well. Sure, the Redskins were hurting -- but then again, they were only hurting on offense. On defense, they had all 11 original starters playing, and their defense has been pretty darn good. And yet, even with all of our offensive injuries and position shifting, we still put up some impressive numbers, including points. I think I read that Fitzy's yards were the most against the Skins defense all year. Injuries weren't the reason Laron Landry missed his assignment and left Chandler open in the end zone. Injuries weren't the reason Freddie ran and caught the ball all over the place against them.

By the way, one of the things that impressed me the most about that game was the sequence at the end of the first half. I was pissed when Fitz threw that pick in the end zone, but I actually had confidence that we would stop the Skins, force a punt, and still have enough time to get down the field for a FG try. And we did. To me, that was huge.

Edited by Rubes