Chandler's Disappearing Act

You think that with the injuries to the receiving corp they'd find a way to get Chandler more involved, yet since game 1 Chandler's played an ever decreasing role in the passing game. Given his size he should be a good possession type receiver. Was he just a flash in the plan? Are we seeing why he didn't really stick with any other club previously?

Thank you for bringing this up. I have not been to any of the games so I can only see what is on TV.

Is Chandler not getting open? Is he being used primarily as a blocker?

I was very encouraged that we could build on something with this guy after the Chiefs game, but in the last 3 games he has disappeared.

Fitz only threw one pass to him today out of desperation. Should we be concerned?

He's not a secret anymore, other teams are scheming for him

Bingo! It seems to almost certainly be the case that Chandler's disappearing act has far more to do with other teams shifting their D to cover the TE possibility and the end result to take from this is not that Gailey simply refuses to call the plays he was successful with early in the season (or the equally counterintuitively stupid notion that Fitzy refuses to throw TD paases to Chandler) but instead the D is not leaving him wide open as they did on many of his key catches so far.

Is Chandler ineffective now?

No,more likely his stellar play is causing safeties to lean his way and that helps jackson blow right past the safety who comes in to tackles Jackson a little late and with a poor angle as he has been looking for the reverse or now David Nelson is running free when we have two YE sets.

He's not a secret anymore, other teams are scheming for him

I think Good tight ends get open when their team needs them. Hernandez, Gronkowski, Gonzalez, just to name a few. Whether it was the sack that took us out of field goal range, or the two INT's, Fitz seemed distracted today. Not really focused on the game at all.

I think that the giants were loading up on the short and medium zones, which took away the space that the TE had to operate in. In addition, the giants have been drafting and stockpiling pass-rush defensive ends as a strength that their defense works off of. Therefore, with a rookie 2nd teamer playing LOT, followed by a 3rd team situation when Harrison(sp) went down, the TE became another offensive lineman. That's what I though was going on.

I disagree with almost all of you. Especially those that think teams are scheming for Scott Chandler. No disrespect to Chandler but that's laughable. I think it's much more of a simple answer. We have a lot of options in the passing game, and a coach that has interchangable parts coming in and out of the game, guys are moving around, etc. A guy or two will become as the poster would say invisible, but then in another game will have a breakout day. I think Chandler will have a big game and we'll see a guy like Nelson's numbers go down.

If any of you play fantasy you'll know what I mean. Just take the Patriots, the Saints, and the Colts (when Manning was playing) for example. Besides their obvious number one targets it's nearly impossible to start any other receiver on those teams, because they just spread the ball around too much. They have so many weapons and a coach that has so many different sets. I think that's the simple answer to Chandler's lack of involvement. Spiller got involved in the passing game Sunday, next week it will be someone else.

I think this is a testiment to the talent on our team and our coach that is utilizing everyone. I think it's obvious teams would struggle to gameplan against us in regards to shutting down one specific target. I think teams try to shut down Stevie Johnson, but beyond him, where would they start?

Edited by Triple Threat

I don't think teams are planning for Chandler. I think the coaches saw a weakness in that KC game that they could exploit, and well they did.

And haven't since.

Outside of Week 1, he hasn't caught many passes. Nine for a handful of yards with no TDs.

ummm, might it be that the tight ends are being asked to help in pass-blocking a little more against teams that have a pass-rush (Philadelphia and Giants) and given the banged-up state of the Bills offensive line?

Seems to make sense. But is that what's actually happening?

ummm, might it be that the tight ends are being asked to help in pass-blocking a little more against teams that have a pass-rush (Philadelphia and Giants) and given the banged-up state of the Bills offensive line?

jw

This is true.

But also see a lot of five wide sets.

How about 4 wides, TE chip blocks a DE and then is open underneath? This would have been a nicer play to watch then the interception in the fourth.

Chan is great at schemeing routes where they confuse the DB's and then someone is left open underneath. Need to get back to that some.

I think Good tight ends get open when their team needs them. Hernandez, Gronkowski, Gonzalez, just to name a few. Whether it was the sack that took us out of field goal range, or the two INT's, Fitz seemed distracted today. Not really focused on the game at all.

I got that impression as well from the several shots they had of Fitz sitting on the bench --- all quiet, just sitting there with a thousand-yard stare.

The body language was telegraphing that his mind was elsewhere or that he was hung up on the INTs. Need to snap out of that, put it behind you, talk with your teammates, look at the formation photos and DO SOMETHING besides sitting there and brooding.

My guess is that he's helping in the blocking game. He's a good blocker, and we have other WR's to run routes. With the O-line banged up, he's prob being used to block more often. (Kind of like Miller for the Steelers, guy "disappears" when the O-line is thin, re-emerges when they are healthy....not that Chandler is Miller, but you get the idea).