ESPN Pulls Hank Williams Jr from tonights MNF

/dev/null

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you know what an analogy is? He wasn't comparing Obama to Hitler. He was saying that Obama and Boehner playing golf together would be analogous to Hitler playing golf with Netanyahu because in each case the two parties have diametrically opposing points of view. By the way, so sorry you had to "endure" 8 years of being led by a man with as much moral courage in his little finger as Obama has in his entire body. He stood firm for what he believes in. So far in 4 years, I still don't know what Obama stands for because he changes his mind every five minutes.

I think Obama hasn't done a good job at all, and I'm not going to vote for him, but moral courage isn't enough in this world- you have to be intelligent and strong not only in purpose but in making decisions based upon rational thought processes. No one that is worth his salt just pushes a button or makes a leadership decision based upon emotion or an agenda. I could be decisive and stand firm in my choices and have moral courage, but if many of them are bad to terrible then I am not a good leader. We have no more statesmen; we either get speechmakers or 'hell bent at all cost' leaders, both of which weaken our country.

The Dixie Chicks, whom I like (though their side project Courtyard Hounds is exceptionally pedestrian), can say what they want, and people can react in kind.

Hank Williams Jr., who's father was one of the greatest recording artists this nation has ever produced, can also say what he wants, and people can react in kind.

the difference is, The Dixie Chicks didn't have a contract with ABC/ESPN/Disney to provide a theme song for one of their most popular sports vehicles. Hank Williams Jr. did and is now paying the price for it.

it's still a free country. and business is business.

jw

No, the difference is that the Dixie Chicks were apologizing for being American to a foreign audience on foreign soil. Hank Williams Jr. was making an analogy. He wasn't comparing Obama to Hitler. He was saying that Obama playing golf with Boehner was analogous to Hitler playing golf with Netanyahu, because in each case the two had diametrically opposed points of view. That is what an analogy is. It doesn't mean that he was saying that Obama is like Hitler. You are right that ESPN has the right to pull the song, but by doing so, they also risk offending people who realize how ridiculous their actions are. Therefore, making such a move could turn out to be bad for business.

Do you know what an analogy is? He wasn't comparing Obama to Hitler. He was saying that Obama and Boehner playing golf together would be analogous to Hitler playing golf with Netanyahu because in each case the two parties have diametrically opposing points of view. By the way, so sorry you had to "endure" 8 years of being led by a man with as much moral courage in his little finger as Obama has in his entire body. He stood firm for what he believes in. So far in 4 years, I still don't know what Obama stands for because he changes his mind every five minutes.

We're all friends here fellas. This is the one place I usually don't have to think about politics.

BTW, if I were still in the military he would be my commander in chief. As a civilian, he is simply head of the Executive Branch of government. We need to stop calling him, or any president, our CINC. He does not command me, nor do I want him to. He works for us.

What double standard? I missed ABC/ESPN employees that are 'left' making comments about Hitler or the favoritism towards black quarterbacks.

huh??? it is not the "employee" making comments, it is the response that follows when someone does.where is the outrage over obama telling the CONGRESSIONAL BLACK CAUCUS last week to "quit your complaining".. and generally scolded them! if bush would have said that!! one can only imagine the outrage. as it was, the mainstream press did not make much of it. anyone that cannot see the double standard must have the proverbial blinders on .

I think Obama hasn't done a good job at all, and I'm not going to vote for him, but moral courage isn't enough in this world- you have to be intelligent and strong not only in purpose but in making decisions based upon rational thought processes. No one that is worth his salt just pushes a button or makes a leadership decision based upon emotion or an agenda. I could be decisive and stand firm in my choices and have moral courage, but if many of them are bad to terrible then I am not a good leader. We have no more statesmen; we either get speechmakers or 'hell bent at all cost' leaders, both of which weaken our country.

We obviously are not going to agree on this, so further discussion is rather pointless. Your implication that Bush's points of view were not well thought out or based on reason tell me all I need to know. I wish you nothing but the best in your life, but our politics are diametrically opposed. We could go back and forth all day, but I still stand by the fact that Hank Williams Jr. did nothing wrong and does not deserve to be punished for making an analogy.

We obviously are not going to agree on this, so further discussion is rather pointless. Your implication that Bush's points of view were not well thought out or based on reason tell me all I need to know. I wish you nothing but the best in your life, but our politics are diametrically opposed. We could go back and forth all day, but I still stand by the fact that Hank Williams Jr. did nothing wrong and does not deserve to be punished for making an analogy.

True enough, and I can live with that idea further discussion is pointless. This will be a lesson to all yet again that you can't bring up Hitler in a comparison and not get blasted- there are much better ways to make a point!

it is obvious in this country when a liberal makes what could be termed an outlandish statement, it is called "freedom of speech", when a conservative utters the same, it is "hateful", must be immediately addressed. the wussies that run the media outlets in this country are such hypocrites. the transparency is actually hilarious.

Name one "wussie liberal" who wasn't admonished, in some form or another, for using a Hitler comparison for a US President?

Having lived in midstate NY, northwestern NJ, and the South, I can say there are just as many rednecks up there as down here.

:thumbsup:

No, the difference is that the Dixie Chicks were apologizing for being American to a foreign audience on foreign soil. Hank Williams Jr. was making an analogy. He wasn't comparing Obama to Hitler. He was saying that Obama playing golf with Boehner was analogous to Hitler playing golf with Netanyahu, because in each case the two had diametrically opposed points of view. That is what an analogy is. It doesn't mean that he was saying that Obama is like Hitler. You are right that ESPN has the right to pull the song, but by doing so, they also risk offending people who realize how ridiculous their actions are. Therefore, making such a move could turn out to be bad for business.

and yet, the Dixie Chicks went on to enjoy their most success by following up "Home" (which i thought was their best album) with a Grammy-winning release in "Taking the Long Way" (which i thought proved inconsistent).

given that the Chicks are, in my opinion, superior artists than Hank Jr., and that Hank Jr. continues to plunge into the parody of being, as Paul Westerberg once wrote, "a rebel without a clue," i'm not sure if this will prove to be a great career move in the long run.

of course, i could be wrong, but Hitler references -- whether analogous or intended (and i think there's a gray area here in that Williams knew exactly what he was saying and inferring) -- are generally career-dulling. and Williams career was barely on life support to begin with at this stage.

jw

Name one "wussie liberal" who wasn't admonished, in some form or another, for using a Hitler comparison for a US President?

well, you tell me when it happened and i will answer! but your attempt at making a point is a tad feeble at best. i dont think one has to be a rocket scientist to realize that my point was not about a specific hitler reference by the "wussie media" . it was about the typical reaction that is made by the said media when it does not fit their agenda.

Just one last time and then I'm done with this thread, to anyone who is insisting he made a harmless, innocent analogy or comparison or whatever you guys are saying, this is borderline treason. Really read what he said:

In an interview Monday morning on Fox News' ''Fox & Friends,'' Williams, unprompted, said of Obama's outing on the links with House Speaker John Boehner: ''It'd be like Hitler playing golf with (Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin) Netanyahu.''

Asked to clarify, Williams said, ''They're the enemy,'' adding that by ''they'' he meant Obama and Vice President Joe Biden.

Anchor Gretchen Carlson later said to him, ''You used the name of one of the most hated people in all of the world to describe, I think, the president.'' Williams replied, ''Well, that is true. But I'm telling you like it is.''

People, this is indefensible. Anyone who is defending him or saying that, "well the liberal media this or that..." Stop. You are the type that had an issue with Michelle Obama promoting kids eating healthier. There is no arguing with you. It's a wonder we agree on liking the same football team.

Edited by metzelaars_lives

I just want to point out that Hank Williams III is amazing. So Deadspin is right, talent can skip generations.

On the plus side, if Hank 2 wasn't such a lousy father, Hank 3 probably wouldn't be as good an artist.

Just one last time and then I'm done with this thread, to anyone who is insisting he made a harmless, innocent analogy or comparison or whatever you guys are saying, this is borderline treason. Really read what he said:

In an interview Monday morning on Fox News' ''Fox & Friends,'' Williams, unprompted, said of Obama's outing on the links with House Speaker John Boehner: ''It'd be like Hitler playing golf with (Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin) Netanyahu.''

Asked to clarify, Williams said, ''They're the enemy,'' adding that by ''they'' he meant Obama and Vice President Joe Biden.

Anchor Gretchen Carlson later said to him, ''You used the name of one of the most hated people in all of the world to describe, I think, the president.'' Williams replied, ''Well, that is true. But I'm telling you like it is.''

People, this is indefensible. Anyone who is defending him or saying that, "well the liberal media this or that..." Stop. You are the type that had an issue with Michelle Obama promoting kids eating healthier. There is no arguing with you. It's a wonder we agree on liking the same football team.

[/quote

Borderline treason?

Perhaps HWJ should be taken away for "re-education", yavol?

Damn.....Godwin-ing something is so easy and so much fun.

Bush is Hitler, Scott Walker is Hitler, Obama is Hitler.....personally Im convinced DC Tom is Hitler. Works for da gubmit, irrational superiority complex....yeah...he's Hitler.

I'm late to the party here but just so I understand, even though HW Jr. admitted he compared the president to Hitler, there are those in the thread that are saying HW Jr. never compared Obama to Hitler?

And on free speech: it means that the government can't punish you for saying something. It doesn't mean that what you say doesn't have repercussions. ESPN made a business decision. What's so hard to understand about that?

Hank III has an interesting opinion on his dummy father, per av club:

Hank Williams III tells TMZ.com that his dad probably should've kept his mouth shut on Fox & Friends, because musicians are "not worthy" of talking about politics publicly. "The only person out there worthy of mixing political views and music is Jello Biafra" he said, referencing the famously outspoken Dead Kennedys singer.