Available O-linemen a.k.a. guys I've heard of.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

And if they are lucky they can save a couple dollars in the process. :thumbsup:

A penny saved is a penny earned. Besides, everyone should know by now that they are looking for lineman whose last names match up with Levitre and Wood. Especially since Wang couldn't hold up in practice let alone a real game.

The Salary Dump Doomsday Soothsayers were predicting we would cut McGee and Bryan Scott. We did not. Some of the "Salary Dump" extremists were even saying we'd cut Freddy and Fitz. Of all their predictions, just about the only cut the SDDS's got right was Hangartner. Their unsuccessful record of prognistications pretty much disproves the Salary Dump theory.

Look at how much we're paying for inside linebackers - even for the second-string. And the Bills, for another example, kept Martin even though he's a more expensive backup WR than Roosevelt who got cut. Gailey kept the guys he felt could help the team.

Having said all that, I have to admit I'm a little puzzled by Hangartner's release. The Bills are thin on the OL, especially at Center, and Geoff's better than nothing.

1] The Bills inside linebackers, especially back-ups, make peanuts. I would bet you the amount of Kirk Morrison's contract that it is not a lot. It's one year. Sheppard is making peanuts as a #3 pick. Moats and White don't even make peanuts, they make peanut shells. Barnett signed for a decent contract but not a lot at all, 4 mil a year. He's the highest. Davis makes 1.1 million as a starter. That's peanuts. I have no idea why you think our inside LB make a lot of money. It's probably less per man overall than almost any team in the league.

2] You really don't see how one player can be a complete salary dump, but that does not mean all other veterans, or most of them will also be cut. How can you make that leap?

Why would a guy like Waters at this point in his career even think about signing w/ a team like the Bills for triple the amount he would get in New England. He's made his money and wants to go to a contender. Buffalo is a dump town and he would have to pay a rediculous state income tax only to finish his career w/o a ring.

On the flip side, why would Buffalo want him? We would get him for a short period of time for way to much money on the downside of his career. Meanwhile it would impede Urbiks development.

This pretty much stands for all the "well known free agents".

The whole point here is that the Bills should be looking for unknown young guys w/ alot of potential. Bring them in here for their value and try to develop them.

How is Selvish Capers who was drafted last year in the 7th round a guy to keep an eye on?

It's the standard Funny Name at the Draft Syndrome. You look down a list of 20 OLs, and you remember "Selvish Capers" and forget, say, "John Jerry." So you remember that he was at the draft and that you did some research on him, so the odds are, he was pretty good. But it's meaningless - he's just a guy who stuck out because of a funny name.

Notes regarding the following teams:

Oakland Raiders: "What's next: I think Oakland will continue to look for cornerbacks and safeties. They will also still look at weakside linebackers, and they will look to upgrade the offensive line."

Jacksonville Jaguars: "No matter how much Jack Del Rio talks of giving the fullbacks carries, a run-based team needs another running back. It should upgrade offensive line depth too."

Cleveland Browns: "The Browns will scan the waiver wires in search of depth. The preseason proved depth is desperately needed at several positions, particularly on the offensive line."

Houston Texans: "Houston is thin on the offensive line, too."

New York Jets: "That they didn’t acquire an experienced backup offensive lineman was a surprise. They’re perilously thin on the line."

Kansas City Chiefs: " The Chiefs also could scour the waiver wire at receiver, offensive line, inside linebacker and on the defensive line". And I as I posted earlier, the chiefs have only 7 OL players in their 53 roster.

New England Patriots: "The Patriots are certainly in the market for safety help, and with backup guard Rich Ohrnberger placed on season-ending injured reserve, the team is thin on the interior line."

San Diego Chargers: "San Diego will probably look at the waiver wire for help in the secondary, offensive line "

Pittsburgh Steelers: " At most, Pittsburgh could add a player or two for depth, perhaps on the offensive line."

These are what ESPN is reporting (not all teams analysis in yet)....

The common theme is lack of talent on the OL and depth for the OL. Every team is hurting in this area and it is very unlikely the Bills are going to get any talent from the waiver wire on the OL.